Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: "The Expanse" by Amazon [Formerly by Syfy] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Expanse" by Amazon [Formerly by Syfy]  (Read 94364 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: August 26, 2020, 07:01:33 AM

The problem is that in the books, she pretty well drops out for an entire book's worth of narrative and when she reappears after the shit that's going down next season she's in a different situation. So they kept her in the mix--she's a popular character--and tried to give her more of a dramatic arc that frames her upcoming actions. I think that's fine. They're already looking ahead not just to the new situation next season but the big status quo changes to come further down the line, assuming they get to do S6 and beyond.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: August 26, 2020, 08:17:38 AM

The problem is that in the books, she pretty well drops out for an entire book's worth of narrative and when she reappears after the shit that's going down next season she's in a different situation. So they kept her in the mix--she's a popular character--and tried to give her more of a dramatic arc that frames her upcoming actions. I think that's fine. They're already looking ahead not just to the new situation next season but the big status quo changes to come further down the line, assuming they get to do S6 and beyond.

I agree its a difficult situation to connect through. I just thought tension with cliche focus groups blah blah stuff was pretty boring. And the whole husband personality change they thought they needed to throw in to sell it.

Im not sure half the Bobbie stuff did much service to her character or the plot points it was trying to round out.
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: October 09, 2020, 10:05:44 AM

Season 5 drops December 16th. Three episodes, than weekly episodes after that. 10 episodes this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caLji74IIp4

Not much Alex in the trailer, for obvious reasons.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: October 09, 2020, 01:18:22 PM

Looks great.

I think this will end up surprising anyone who has watched the series and not read the books. Not quite at Red Wedding levels but sort of close, at least for me.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #214 on: October 09, 2020, 07:34:25 PM

Ya, I saw some comment on twitter like "where is all the protomolecule stuff?" and I'm like AHAHAHAHAHHAA.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #215 on: October 09, 2020, 08:03:28 PM

That trailer certainly leads me to believe it's a pretty important part of this season, but I only just finished reading the 2nd book.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #216 on: October 09, 2020, 08:11:49 PM

For the book this season is based on, the proto molecule (and the alien remnants associated with it) are on the back burner. It's still gonna be pretty  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

--Dave (there may be an alien surprise, depending on how far ahead they decide to compress things. But it won't be protomolecule related)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:13:38 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #217 on: November 24, 2020, 02:59:56 PM

With season 5 about to launch, it's been announced that season 6 will be the last: read all about it.

Amazon Studios today announced it has ordered a sixth and final season of the fan-favorite Amazon Original series The Expanse, based on James S.A. Corey's best-selling books. Renewal of The Expanse for a final season comes in advance of the anticipated fifth season, which will premiere December 16th on Amazon Prime Video
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:01:42 PM by Tale »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: November 24, 2020, 04:49:48 PM

They are going to have to basically jettison the late-arriving plot from the last 3 books, which is probably okay since they wouldn't really transfer all that well to TV anyways IMO.  Be interesting to see how they wrap it up (and what they do with Anvar).

EDIT: So reading around, they shitcanned Anvar, so the question I guess is what they do with the character.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:02:01 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: November 24, 2020, 06:28:02 PM

EDIT: So reading around, they shitcanned Anvar, so the question I guess is what they do with the character.

Besides the obvious?

I am the .00000001428%
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: November 24, 2020, 08:18:48 PM

Well there are 3 possibilities: 1) recast; 2) kill him off and replace with a new character; 3) kill him off any have an existing character backfill his spot. 

My guess is #3 with a couple of possibilities I already have in mind.

-H.L. Mencken
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #221 on: November 24, 2020, 09:00:40 PM

4) Introduce a character played by a Weinstein accuser (Ashley Judd, Rosanna Arquette, etc) who ends Alex Kamal.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: November 25, 2020, 06:05:04 AM

It's interesting. They can't really get into the next big plot arc of the series at all, I'd almost say, unless they skip some of the set-up to it and go straight to the end, more or less. They may just have reckoned that it would be extremely expensive to do all of it if they went to a season seven. But I'm sort of not sure what they'll actually do in a season six, really, if this season is about Earth and Marco Inaros, which seems like a single-season storyline.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: November 25, 2020, 11:13:32 AM

I just think they couldn't do any of the Laconia stuff in the timeframe they were looking at for the show so they are going to ditch everything past the time jump other than some major big theme issues with the gate-builders/destroyers. 

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: November 25, 2020, 05:26:07 PM

It's too bad: I really like the Laconia material, actually.
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: December 15, 2020, 09:16:57 AM

Tomorrow is the day! Only 3 episodes to start, and the previews have been solid.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #226 on: December 15, 2020, 04:13:09 PM

It has just dropped early.

See Amazon Prime Video. I can see first three episodes live.

Edit: James SA Corey twitter account confirms.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: December 15, 2020, 05:54:21 PM

It has just dropped early.

See Amazon Prime Video. I can see first three episodes live.

Edit: James SA Corey twitter account confirms.

Amazon's "release date/time" stuff for Prime is always midnight UTC.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: December 15, 2020, 07:59:01 PM

Blazed through all 3 episodes. They are going through A LOT of plot in a hurry and did some of what I speculated about above.

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #229 on: December 15, 2020, 08:43:09 PM

Somebody needs to bump this when they finish the season and I can binge it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #230 on: December 16, 2020, 05:14:46 AM

Somebody needs to bump this when they finish the season and I can binge it.

--Dave

That's February 3.

Watched episodes 1-3 and had a good time. Haven't read beyond book 3 so this is unknown territory to me, but I'm actually finding it slow.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: December 16, 2020, 11:23:24 AM

The last two things become very important and tie into big developments.

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: December 16, 2020, 07:38:11 PM

Yeah, though I'm wondering now if they actually do, with only one season left? Maybe they're planning something after the last season that is a wrap-up? It's plain that they're not going to touch any of the territory that the last book and the forthcoming conclusion deal with.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: December 16, 2020, 07:52:25 PM

LATER BOOK SPOILERS:

-H.L. Mencken
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: December 17, 2020, 07:17:18 AM

Based on what I've read, the show is "on pause". There is also a lot of vague insinuation by Daniel and Ty that Alcon Entertainment, who they sold the tv/film rights to, is still dreaming up ways to continue the story in some way. I would not be surprised if we saw a couple or three of films covering books 7-9.

The pause would also help deal with the Cas Anvar situation, as they could even recast the whole crew if they wanted.

Also, I think anyone expecting book 9 to neatly tie things of is probably going to be at least somewhat disappointed. One of the biggest series themes is that humanity is Holden writ large.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: December 22, 2020, 06:03:57 PM

Interesting big change from the books concerning one major character in this week's ep.

-H.L. Mencken
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: December 22, 2020, 08:46:05 PM

Interesting big change from the books concerning one major character in this week's ep.

Yup. They do this enough that it keeps us book readers entertained.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #237 on: December 23, 2020, 04:34:16 PM

Good episode. Not slow.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: January 20, 2021, 03:31:28 PM

Despite how split up the narratives are in this book, they are doing a really good job of adapting it this season. The last two episodes were great.

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: January 20, 2021, 03:56:38 PM

Yeah. I have really enjoyed it and my non-book reading spouse is riveted. The changes to the book stuff are really smart.

I'm just super-invested at this point at whether  is at all a thing or not.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #240 on: January 20, 2021, 04:12:20 PM

I loved this week's episode. Dominique Tipper's acting in the Naomi scenes was outstanding.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: January 20, 2021, 05:00:10 PM

It was fucking great. She completely sold "flinging yourself through vacuum and barely surviving into a stripped-out bomb of a ship is PAINFUL and AWFUL and not recommended". It was all done so so well.
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: January 20, 2021, 06:58:02 PM

Yeah. I have really enjoyed it and my non-book reading spouse is riveted. The changes to the book stuff are really smart.

I'm just super-invested at this point at whether  is at all a thing or not.

it's a thing. It's in the opening credits if you look for it. Not sure if it will be a major thing though.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: January 21, 2021, 07:06:47 AM

Yeah, I saw that, but I'm just trying to figure out how they handle the pacing with only a season left. I almost wonder if they're going to (as per earlier discussion)
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: January 21, 2021, 07:25:21 AM

Yeah, I saw that, but I'm just trying to figure out how they handle the pacing with only a season left. I almost wonder if they're going to (as per earlier discussion)

Your spoiler seems to be a leading candidate, based on info from cast and crew. Ty and Daniel have ben pretty clear they aren't going to ram books 6-9 into season 6... And Wes and Ty on twitter and in their post-episode shows have been pretty coy. The term "pause" has been used repeatedly. And there was one interview I saw, with Wes, where there was definitely a pause when he had to think about what he could say, post season 6.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: "The Expanse" by Amazon [Formerly by Syfy]  
Jump to: