Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:46:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: "The Expanse" by Amazon [Formerly by Syfy] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Expanse" by Amazon [Formerly by Syfy]  (Read 94380 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: December 12, 2019, 06:22:05 AM

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #176 on: December 12, 2019, 05:10:45 PM

Season 4 dropped early. Available to stream now on Amazon Prime.
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: December 13, 2019, 10:18:27 AM

First episode was too much "Previously on the Expanse...", the second episode top-notch.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: December 14, 2019, 07:13:43 PM

I’m two episodes in and like what I see so far.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #179 on: December 15, 2019, 12:07:29 AM

Finally got my boy into it and caught up so starting S4 tomorrow (although I secretly watched the first ep on the night it dropped).  The full re-watch was pretty cool. Actually forgot a few surprises and story beats.  Jane is so damn good in this. Also had a newfound respect for Elizabeth Mitchell and what she did with Anna who in the books is pretty drab.  Glad Gee got into the opening credits as she is great and Drummer is one of my favorite characters. She seemed pretty pumped about it on twitter.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #180 on: December 15, 2019, 04:46:21 PM

I rewatched seasons 1-3 in preparation (loved 3 even more this time). I've done 4 episodes of season 4 and I'm loving it. At this point I could imagine there being complaints about not enough happening this season, but what do I know (haven't read further than book 2, and I guess a lot can happen in 6 episodes). However, where do you go with a storyline that has opened up possibilities on this scale? You use subplots to paint the big picture. This is the right approach.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: December 15, 2019, 04:59:58 PM

Goddamn, I really love this show. 

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #182 on: December 17, 2019, 05:07:24 AM

Finished binge'ing this.  Really enjoyed it overall, as usual!  I'll stick a few minor quibbles into the spoilers, as well as some questions for book readers.  Note, I discuss ending and cliffhangers, so it is full spoilers.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #183 on: December 17, 2019, 05:46:59 AM

--Signature Unclear
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: December 17, 2019, 06:08:39 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: December 17, 2019, 06:26:28 AM

Ugh, never mind, went a head and googled spoilers.  I'll probably stop bothering to watch this show over that silly plot point.

-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #186 on: December 17, 2019, 04:26:25 PM

I just finished season 4 and thought it was fantastic.

I think they're scriptwriting the series much better than they wrote the books (I've read one and a half). The characters have more dimensions and any changed/sped-up plot points improve the story for TV.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: December 18, 2019, 02:07:40 AM

I read spoilers from the books on what happens next.  That's the silly plot point that bugs me.  Maybe the series will write it to be a bit different, but ugh.

-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: December 21, 2019, 11:20:14 PM

Great season and our speculation was pretty spot on.

Teleku, keep with it. Don't know how far ahead you read, but even hitting highlights really doesn't give insight on to where the narrative goes.  Plus, Amos's journey in book 5 is one of my favorite of all 8 books so far (assuming they do it on the show). Naomi's is pretty great too.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: December 22, 2019, 07:35:01 AM

Book Spoiler that gives away plot that hasn't happened yet:

-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: December 22, 2019, 08:32:20 AM

Eh, I think you’re selling things short Tele. I disliked that plot for a few reasons, but it doesn’t really get rid of what you like, it just changes it.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: December 22, 2019, 12:31:36 PM

Yes, that's what I mean as well. It doesn't do what you think it does.

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: December 22, 2019, 02:30:46 PM

Fair enough!  I haven't read the books, just read spoilers.  Show could do it a bit differently also.  Was just being grumpy before, I know I'll keep watching regardless.

-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: December 22, 2019, 05:44:30 PM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: December 22, 2019, 10:48:45 PM

Book Spoiler that gives away plot that hasn't happened yet:

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: December 23, 2019, 07:18:31 PM

Exactly.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #196 on: December 23, 2019, 07:25:34 PM

I have no idea how they are going to handle the '20 years later' transition of the last couple of books. Seems kind of hard to handwave.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: December 23, 2019, 07:40:06 PM

Cast is aging pretty nicely into it; they could probably do the next two seasons in a 'present' frame and then skip ahead just fine 4-5 years from now in real world time with some makeup.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: December 30, 2019, 10:18:09 PM

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: December 31, 2019, 03:07:50 AM

As for the skip of several years, I doubt they'll address it at all. It's either makeup for the whole cast or just not worry about it. At most, they may make it shorter, like 10 years, say and just handwave it away.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: December 31, 2019, 09:06:48 PM

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: January 03, 2020, 11:12:02 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #202 on: March 25, 2020, 08:54:07 PM

Just finished binging it this week and damn it was good. The piling on of perils was getting a little much but I felt they wrapped it all up pretty well in the last two episodes. I kind of agree about the boarding action - did Ashford really think he'd win with just 3 boarders? It seemed very compressed and odd numbers wise. Other than those two things, I fucking loved it and can't wait for the next season.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: June 27, 2020, 11:54:42 AM

Well...fuck.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/the-expanse-star-cas-anvar-investigation-sexual-misconduct-allegations-1202971689/?fbclid=IwAR1vbs-bIbloo9WJtQfwTSulN6keKLDjJ5ZwTjZpCDQJIPv9MFZPzxh_q8s

Cas Anvar accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women. I loved how much he advocated for the Expanse but assuming this goes how I presume there is no way he'll stay on the show. I don't know if they'd just recast or if it'd kill the show or what.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: June 27, 2020, 12:03:59 PM

Well fuck.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: June 27, 2020, 12:18:06 PM

Shit.

I would assume recast. I think it can survive him being recast--he is kind of the weakest character in the books too imho. I think recasting Naomi or Amos would be pretty destructive because the actors do such a good job with much more difficult/complicated characters.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #206 on: June 27, 2020, 12:27:29 PM

Recasting Amos would absolutely destroy that show. He is hands down one of my favorite characters on TV as much for how well the actor does with that role as much as how he's written.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: June 27, 2020, 08:34:51 PM

Seriously, that could have been SO BAD and instead Wes Chatham finds even more depth and value in the character than the books even hint at. Imagine an actor just playing him as a tough-guy hard-ass action hero dude.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: June 28, 2020, 12:52:02 AM

Ya, this sucks. S5 is already done, which will make its release super weird with this all happening and could lead to delays or even cancellation.  Maybe Bezos can throw some big money to either the victims themselves or victim orgs to smooth things over since he likes the show so much.

Fuck that guy for jeopardizing such a good show just to get his dick wet or run privilege trips. If they can power through, just cast Naveen Andrews in the role and keep going. Hell, kill off Alex since he is kinda useless anyways and put in some other pilot. You will lose one very powerful scene regarding Bobby if they ever get to it but that's about it.  Rework Peaches to be the pilot going forward as that wouldn't be much of a stretch.

I though Chatham was way too young to play Amos when the show first started based on how I saw Amos in my head from reading the books, but he is so good in it I can't see anyone else playing him at this point and he has made the book character retroactively better.

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: August 26, 2020, 05:35:07 AM

Finally watched S4.

Feels like the show is falling apart a bit with the need to rewrite stuff to fit for tv. Loses much of the appeal of the books for me in doing so. Bobbie has never done much for me but Advarasala is completely wasted with this hack election crap.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: "The Expanse" by Amazon [Formerly by Syfy]  
Jump to: