Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total Warhammer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total Warhammer  (Read 50562 times)
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: June 01, 2016, 01:45:11 AM

Buggy and not really that interesting. I miss the original Warhammer Dawn of War games too much to like this.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: June 01, 2016, 05:34:49 AM

I've been playing this non stop since it launched, game of the year so far.

I am the .00000001428%
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #107 on: June 01, 2016, 05:39:43 AM

Yeah, I definitely lost most of Sunday trying to finish my Dwarf campaign.  There was one grudge I just couldn't strike out.  Took me kind of by surprise when I finally got the victory screen.  I'm going to try Vampire Counts next, though the gameplay for Chaos looks very interesting as well.  I love the idea of not having to run around defending territory.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: June 01, 2016, 01:27:39 PM

Kinda glad I'm swamped with Stellaris, but I'll definitely pick this up on sale.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: June 08, 2016, 12:23:14 AM

I'm enjoying this, and fantasy is definitely a better setting for what CA seem to be trying to do.

Certainly not perfect. One man leader units are really fiddly, and the tactical combat doesn't seem as polished as the best total war stuff.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #110 on: June 08, 2016, 07:30:13 AM

One man leader units are fantastic when it's your dwarf king slaughtering hundreds of greenskins single-handedly.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #111 on: June 08, 2016, 08:20:53 AM

One man leader units are fantastic when it's your dwarf king slaughtering hundreds of greenskins single-handedly.

That sounds exactly like Warhammer.  awesome, for real

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #112 on: June 08, 2016, 11:38:18 AM

Yeah that sounds like "Herohammer" aka Warhammer Fantasy Battles 4th and 5th Editions.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 08, 2016, 11:53:14 AM

I've been playing this non stop since it launched, game of the year so far.

Basically this. Loads of fun. Armies and tactics are varied. Campaign map is pretty streamlined so you only have to do actual important shit.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: June 08, 2016, 03:45:45 PM

Yeah that sounds like "Herohammer" aka Warhammer Fantasy Battles 4th and 5th Editions.

There is no Warhammer but 3rd Edition, and I won't have any of you kids tell me otherwise.

Get off my lawn!

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #115 on: June 09, 2016, 01:24:17 PM

Yeah, 4th/5th edition are what I grew up with.  Long live super powered hero's riding super powered monstrous mounts! 

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 14, 2016, 04:46:35 PM

Loving vanilla so far, which hasn't usually been the case with TW. Playing Dwarfs. Fits my turtle playstyle.

About to install the Radious mod.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: June 14, 2016, 06:38:50 PM

I tried it for like an hour, it changed way too much and completely threw the balance of the game out of whack just for the hell of it.  The only part i liked was reducing the cost of armies so you could have more out there, but even that changes the balance of things in unexpected ways.

I am the .00000001428%
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #118 on: June 15, 2016, 10:47:08 AM

I've never been a big fan of the Radious mods for that reason.  I tried it the most in Shogun, but it turned into a huge slog when every enemy was putting out massive stacks.  One comment for the Warhammer mod mentions that they're getting swarmed by enemy agents that keep assassinating their guys, too.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: June 16, 2016, 07:53:16 AM

There are very very few issues with the base game that need such a massive amount of changes to be honest.  Maybe agent spam can be toned down, but instead of completely turning it off like some mods maybe just slightly raise your own hero limit and make sure every faction has an "assassin" type agent.

I am the .00000001428%
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 20, 2016, 09:34:30 PM

Agents are kind of excessive. You can simply acquire too many of them and so using and developing them becomes a hassle rather than a boon.

Like when playing VC you can get one banshee per settlement. That is just too many regardless of anything else. It's too much management per turn regardless of how strong it is.

1 hero type per faction seems most reasonable. Might make it a thing later.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 19, 2016, 04:28:17 PM

Beastmen being added next week.

They get a grand campaign and a shorter story campaign - whatever that is.

The mechanics look similar to chaos warriors.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:37:20 PM by eldaec »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: August 16, 2016, 02:54:20 AM

Enjoying Beastmen. Fewer agents for one thing, the horde mechanic and waaagh mechanic seem to fit together and thematically match the race better than previous implementations.

Lots of fast units is fun on the tactical map. Makes me look forward to Bretonnians and Skaven.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #123 on: August 16, 2016, 08:46:08 AM

Word is Wood Elves will be the next race expansion.  No idea when they'll actually flesh out Bretonnia, but there are mods that let you use them as they are.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: August 16, 2016, 09:56:30 AM

Haha this game is getting slaughtered in reviews because of their the nickel and diming the player for updates.

This series which I used to love has really gone downhill since Sega took over. I have completely given up on it and have not bought any on release since Empire. Picked up Shogun 2 a long time after, nothing since then. The pricing scheme is ridiculous, the quality is dubious (although it seems they've improved it a bit with Atila & Warhammer).
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: August 16, 2016, 11:54:34 AM

What? It's at metacritic 86, so idkwtf what you are talking about.

The only two DLC so far cost £6 and £13, and if you want to wait for a sale nothing is stopping you. Given how long it takes to play through a campaign I don't particularly give a shit if other people think that is expensive.

Game is better than any Total War I've played in a long time.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: August 16, 2016, 01:25:15 PM

steam reviews
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: August 16, 2016, 02:33:54 PM

OK then, an internet comment thread on a webstore... obviously many fucks will be given.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: August 16, 2016, 02:47:12 PM

OK then, an internet comment thread on a webstore... obviously many fucks will be given.
he said, engaging with a known troll. why so serious?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #129 on: August 17, 2016, 11:50:11 AM

Well, they're not entirely wrong, but people should have seen this coming.  Games Workshop have been getting this sort of criticism for years, so I'm not surprised at all to see them doling out overly priced expansion packs every couple of weeks.  Still, Beastmen are pretty awesome.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: August 29, 2016, 02:57:02 AM

Finished the long campaign with beastmen. Was surprised that it has the same basic chaos invasion structure, only instead of defending you are, in effect, playing a guerilla campaign to knock out key factions and soften up others before the chaos warriors arrive to murder everyone.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #131 on: August 30, 2016, 07:26:21 AM

I'm near the end of a Greenskin campaign and it looks like the AI Beastmen did the exact same thing.  I'm sweeping west and it's already a wasteland with Mousillon holding on city and Brettonia having two or three.  The Western Dwarves are all gone already and the Empire only had two Provinces left when I wiped them out a turn or two after I finished off Chaos and the Vampire Counts.  I'm starting to get concerned that adding more races will break the campaign map entirely, especially if there are any more horde factions.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: August 30, 2016, 10:46:52 AM

Afaik the only races that make sense to add from here are wood elves, who will presumably shift the balance to civilisation as well as adding forest territories to support themselves,  and then rats, who don't make obvious sense in any current campaign mechanics so who knows.

Also Halflings I suppose.

After that, I'd assume they have to expand the map or make a new one. Tomb kings, Lizards, High Elfs, Dark Elfs, Hat Dwarfs, Ogres don't have a home on this map iirc.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: November 17, 2016, 09:57:56 AM

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: November 19, 2016, 04:55:29 AM

The wood elf black library fiction was all quite different to anything else in the warhammer world as their lands and lore were so otherworldly. Everything else takes place in somewhere you can pinpoint on a map and is much more physical, but the Orion and Ariel stuff its all a bit blurred. Warhammer was never really that subtle either, the WE stuff was a nice touch.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: December 12, 2016, 07:30:46 AM

I gave them more $$ for the Wood Elves, and thoroughly enjoyed the play style... Elven skirmishers in skirmish mode are a delight to behold.  Well done.  But at this point in my Total War career it is purely money for the visual spectacle of the thing... not as a reward for making a good game.

I appreciate the (aging) Total War engine for the two or three battles per game where it is fun... unfortunately the campaign part of the game is not the game I'm looking for.  Total War makes Total War game is not really very interesting... but there it is; Total War games suck at the strategic level.  But then that's always been my impression of Total War games... a million dollar tactical engineering project desperately in search of a reason to exist.

Its funny, but I find myself thinking that a good Mobile gaming company should be able to show them how to do this right. 

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #136 on: December 12, 2016, 01:35:57 PM

I've been having a ton of technical issues with the game since the Wood Elves patch went live, so I've only been able to spend a few minutes with them but I'm looking forward to digging in deeper once a few crucial mods (extra skill points, in particular) are updated.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: December 14, 2016, 08:14:30 AM

I appreciate the (aging) Total War engine for the two or three battles per game where it is fun... unfortunately the campaign part of the game is not the game I'm looking for.  Total War makes Total War game is not really very interesting... but there it is; Total War games suck at the strategic level.  But then that's always been my impression of Total War games... a million dollar tactical engineering project desperately in search of a reason to exist.

Its funny, but I find myself thinking that a good Mobile gaming company should be able to show them how to do this right. 

Total War has never really been about the strategy but the highpoint was probably Rome/Medieval II. They've kind of been chasing a Strategy-RPG hybrid idea which only really works when you feel invested in the commanders and weirdly I felt that putting more RPG type elements made me feel less connected than I had with generals in R:TW. Might just be me.

You might be right though that chasing a kind of faux 4X strategy style hasn't really worked and the strategy element has never really meshed with the tactical game so well. They might actually do better looking to mobile gaming and just totally restructuring strategy element with the focus of making a fun game that opens up the tactical battles. Although you're right back to the issue of people playing for one game or the other and anyone who really enjoys the tactical stuff can't really have the option of skipping the strategy game.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: December 19, 2016, 04:11:34 AM

A bunch of TW games have had a 'historical battles' section, and pvp is all tactical all the time FWIW.

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: December 19, 2016, 10:43:05 AM

You might be right though that chasing a kind of faux 4X strategy style hasn't really worked and the strategy element has never really meshed with the tactical game so well. They might actually do better looking to mobile gaming and just totally restructuring strategy element with the focus of making a fun game that opens up the tactical battles.

Yeah, I don't want to neckbeard the thing to death, but a regimental level card collection model with upgrades and full unit customization interspersed with a simple points-based mission game and points-based asynchronous "pvp" would probably make them think that they were printing figurines of gold.

All I want to do is click on a map - if I click to the West, I fight Empire, to the South, Vampires - see that I have 750 pts to take down these 4 units... build your army and go.  Win battle, collect upgrade thingy, apply upgrade thingy... fight new battle. A little bit of meta, a little bit of lore, a little bit of customization... people would spend more on digital units than they've ever spent on physical ones... probably in the first year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total Warhammer  
Jump to: