Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total Warhammer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Total Warhammer  (Read 50571 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #70 on: April 27, 2015, 06:01:27 AM

Stop buying things from these assholes.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: April 27, 2015, 09:15:15 AM

Warhammer 40000: Space Marine was a damn fun game. It's a shame THQ died, because I'd play the shit out of a sequel to that. Or maybe they should sell the rights to From. I'd be willing to bet that Blood Angel Marine Bourne or Dark Space Marine Souls would be about the most amazing game I'd ever have played.

Romping around splatting hordes of orcs into a thin red mist in a bunch of remarkably well done environments was just too much fun.

I also think WH40K is one of the strongest possible IPs that could be made into a MOBA, if it weren't for a fact that making a MOBA is to 2015 what "making an MMO out of our IP" was to 2009.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #72 on: April 27, 2015, 11:59:02 AM

Stop buying things from these assholes.

I did many years ago. It doesn't seem to have stopped them.

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 07, 2015, 08:10:59 AM

The fun part is that on the tabletop side the Warhammer world  in the latest expansion. Naturally, GW does not release any information about any upcoming Warhammer releases.

More or less.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:13:46 AM by penfold »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #74 on: May 07, 2015, 03:30:55 PM

The fun part is that on the tabletop side the Warhammer world  in the latest expansion. Naturally, GW does not release any information about any upcoming Warhammer releases.

More or less.

........WTF?

I just went and read the current lore.  Wow.  I mean, I guess it's kind of hilarious they just went and actually advanced the plot, and killed off the franchise.  But damn, I was actually rather fond of the lore.  Are they killing off the franchise?  Have they stated what direction they are planning to take things?

Oh well, maybe that means (if they are killing it off) WFB will become available for an actual PC translation, like other stuff they discontinued.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #75 on: May 07, 2015, 04:03:10 PM

No they are just clearing the deck for a new edition of WFB.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: August 11, 2015, 01:30:08 PM

Video of a scripted battle between Empire and Greenskins with first-person Doom Diver control.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 11, 2015, 02:24:00 PM

Man, I would be so excited right now if they hadn't shot gunned me in the face with disappointment over Rome 2.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: August 11, 2015, 02:29:15 PM

Video of a scripted battle between Empire and Greenskins with first-person Doom Diver control.
I will buy this even if/when all of F13 says it is pure shite.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #79 on: August 11, 2015, 04:42:18 PM

It just makes me want to load up Medieval 2. With a mod.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #80 on: August 12, 2015, 06:08:57 AM

It just makes me want to load up Medieval 2. With a mod.

You know, I loaded up Medieval 2 recently. It's also shit.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #81 on: August 12, 2015, 07:15:45 AM

Heretic!

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 12, 2015, 08:42:04 AM

The AI's inability to path properly in sieges makes it kind of bad.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #83 on: August 12, 2015, 09:14:38 AM

I play the campaign map far more than the battles, but I prefer Rome 1 in terms of tactical battles. But it doesn't work well any more so medieval it is

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #84 on: August 12, 2015, 09:01:51 PM

I play the campaign map far more than the battles, but I prefer Rome 1 in terms of tactical battles. But it doesn't work well any more so medieval it is

See, that was the thing - once they moved to the 3d map, the series died, I think. The ai has always been questionable, but iirc at least in Medieval is was relatively straight forward for it to prioritise provinces and move stacks onto them. Once they switched to the "better" version, the pathing died. Plus, watching a billion micro-management nightmares scuttling around my screen, doing inconsequential bullshit just killed it for me. At this point, CK2 does everything I want from the game, and more.  sad

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #85 on: August 13, 2015, 10:14:14 AM

Once they took away the city management screen the game died for me. I loved city management. That was my favorite part along with creating powerful armies run by world class generals. None of the newer games do that. The RPG part of the game is mostly gone, and the cities are essentially meaningless other than a few upgrade choices. If I just wanted a tactical battle simulator I'd play a bunch of RTS games.

Plus what made it worse, they PENALIZED you for building in cities. Like it's somehow a bad thing to have a bigger port, or a bigger temple, or a better barracks. It's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:16:18 AM by Paelos »

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: August 13, 2015, 12:50:55 PM

Pretty much agree with Paelos. Makes me glad they're doing Warhammer (an IP I don't give a shit about), as it guarantees I won't even be tempted to buy another one of their games. Not that there was a big risk of that after the mess that was Rome 2 (it took serious skill to fuck that up, given how good Rome was).
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #87 on: August 13, 2015, 01:21:03 PM

GUYZ YOU KNOW WHAT WAS REALLY HOLDING ROME 1 BACK? ALL THOSE PESKY GENERALS AND THEIR FAMILIES. WE'LL JUST STREAMLINE THAT AND MAKE THEM ALL INTERCHANGABLE AND FACELESS AND BLAND! <high fives>

I want to be in some of those design meeting just so I could roundly mock their complete lack of understanding of their playerbase.

WayAbvPar

Reply #88 on: August 13, 2015, 01:48:51 PM

This is the proper way to conduct yourself in that meeting.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 13, 2015, 02:11:51 PM

Always thought that scene would have been more appropriate/funny if he'd shot the girl at the end also.

Sigh, I don't know, this looks really tempting.  I like Warhammer, and it looks like this could really spice up the combat game play a lot.  Guess I'm the opposite of Paelos.  The 3D strategy battles were always way more cool and fun for me than most any other RTS game.  The strategy map has always been half ass'ed and shallow from the first game forward.  If I want grand strategy and empire building, I'll play Europa Universals.

But man.  Rome 2 was a near unforgivable bullshit turn around fuck up of epic proportions.  Will wait and see.

Why yes, I am never giving that up.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:35:44 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #90 on: August 14, 2015, 06:48:26 AM

I liked the balance of TW games because it took elements from EU (which I find to be horrible slow and tedious with a learning curve that's entirely too high for me to want to play it a lot) and RTS games which I find too twitchy and crack addled.

The point was to meld those two ideas together and make civilization that lets you fight on a battlefield. It worked well for year until they apparently thought all people wanted was battles and they focused on facial textures of troops. Honestly, the graphics whore level in that building is through the roof and it's killing them.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #91 on: August 14, 2015, 06:48:57 AM

PS I patched and loaded up Rome 1 again. It's stable for now.

Get ready Gauls...

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #92 on: August 14, 2015, 09:40:52 AM

I think you could see the evolution in design focus from Medieval 2 to Shogun 2, and it really seemed to have started around Napoleon. The RTS battles (always my favorite part) went from slow and methodical to over in less than 15 minutes. It felt like there was such a focus on making multiplayer battles quick and pretty that it turned the tactical level of the game into a fucking clickfest. Shogun 2 was just fucking HORRIBLE about that and really turned me off of that game to the point that when the bugs and performance/memory leak issues started cropping up, rather than suffer through them I just said "Fuck it." I think Medieval 2 was the best of the series (I didn't play much Rome 1) and Empire is still my favorite because of the time period.

This particular type of RTS design philosophy is actually just about perfect for Warhammer. I just don't have any confidence in this group producing a game that isn't full of face-stabbing bugs to be able to spend money on this.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 14, 2015, 11:45:41 AM

I liked the balance of TW games because it took elements from EU (which I find to be horrible slow and tedious with a learning curve that's entirely too high for me to want to play it a lot) and RTS games which I find too twitchy and crack addled.

The point was to meld those two ideas together and make civilization that lets you fight on a battlefield. It worked well for year until they apparently thought all people wanted was battles and they focused on facial textures of troops. Honestly, the graphics whore level in that building is through the roof and it's killing them.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the the strategy part of the game also.  It was just never really that deep, and without the great combat, could never stand on its own.  Most of what they terribly fucked up in Rome 2 was everything outside the battles, and it has me raging.  The quick combat IS annoying, but is still a livable defect for me.  Which is probably why I liked Shogun 2 a lot (even if several of you don't).  Still had good town/province/empire building, a (shallow compared to Rome) Dynasty system, and lots of other out of combat options.  The combat itself I thought was a ton of fun, and looked great (which frankly is a big selling point.  Watching an entire army of individual soldiers go at it never gets old), even with the speed up of combat.

Also, I never had any bugs or issues with it other than loading times.

I think I've literally posted this about 5 times now though.

So hmm.  Anyways, we all agree that Rome 2 was digital Aids, and these people are not to be trusted.

Even if the video looked really awesome.

Fuck it, I'm reinstalling Rome 1 to play right now.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:48:54 AM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #94 on: September 17, 2015, 11:58:29 AM

Pre-Alpha Let's Play: Dwarfs vs Greenskins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK0BMkKmwB4
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: September 17, 2015, 04:12:42 PM

I want to go to there.

Even though I already know I'll throw money at this whether its good or bad, I hope there is some sort of Army building and customizing Meta game... if there's not, then I'm pretty sure the tired old Total War battle sim will wear out its welcome within a week or two.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 30, 2015, 01:38:48 AM

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 31, 2015, 01:18:01 PM

Only 4 races at launch. 

Day 0 DLC for a fifth.

Holy god do I hate this company now.  Just....arg.  How can they keep fucking up so bad?!

I'll wait and see how reviews are (I'm not very hopeful now).  If people say its robot Jesus, then I'll maybe wait for a steam sale that includes DLC discounts.

-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: October 31, 2015, 03:48:06 PM

So its Orks, Dwarfs, Empire, & Undead for those without the tactical vision to spend more money.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #99 on: October 31, 2015, 06:07:21 PM

The Day 0 DLC doesn't really surprise me, but it is super shitty, IMO. I wasn't going to buy this at launch no matter what because fuck Creative Assembly and their buggy ass games. If I hear it's really good after the fact, I may pick it up on sale but I haven't even bothered to get Rome 2 on deep discount because of how buggy it's supposed to have been even after shittons of patches.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: January 05, 2016, 09:17:21 AM

If anybody else missed this:

Video of what the (Greenskin) campaign map and mechanics will look like.  Heart
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:31:55 AM by Bungee »

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 12, 2016, 05:23:00 AM

And the Empire walkthrough is out.

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: May 31, 2016, 06:56:42 PM

Oh, hey, looks like this released.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

Welcome to Altdorf, boys, I'm going in.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #103 on: May 31, 2016, 08:27:50 PM

Huh, the Steam reviews are pretty positive.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #104 on: May 31, 2016, 08:51:30 PM

I played through the Dwarf campaign once and found it enjoyable.  Crashed once or twice, but nothing like some people have been crying about.  Definitely MUCH more stable than Rome II was at launch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Total Warhammer  
Jump to: