Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:13:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Another plane missing 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another plane missing  (Read 65487 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 04:17:16 PM

Don't do it. LIVE! LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: December 30, 2014, 04:18:58 PM

"I've got a flight back to Kuala Lumpur" - a sentence I will never have to utter.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 04:22:49 PM

I know right?  KL is such a boring dump.  Why would you be flying there for the new year!?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 05:28:26 PM

Chicks?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #39 on: December 30, 2014, 07:12:22 PM

Yes, chicks.   awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #40 on: December 30, 2014, 07:38:38 PM

403 Forbidden img there, Hoss. Better stick with the KFC chicks.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 10:12:12 AM

Yes, chicks.   awesome, for real

Underneath the Hijab, they're all phreaks.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 05:33:36 AM

I have heard more horrific stories of bedtime shenanigans from Saudis than any other nationality, so yeah, crazy under the Niqab.

I'm living and working in KL so not many options, it's a good hub for SEA though provided you travel everywhere by boat. Wish me luck!

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 01, 2015, 11:27:03 AM

There very well could be a separate thread for this, and it'd likely be fairly fascinating.

More info pulled from supposed leaked data:
Leaked figures show the plane climbed at a virtually unprecedented rate of 6000 to 9000 feet per minute, and "you can't do that at altitude in an Airbus 320 with pilot action".

The most that could normally be expected would be 1000 to 1500 feet on a sustained basis, with up to 3000 feet in a burst, he said.

The plane then fell at an even more incredible rate: 11,000 feet per minute with bursts of up to 24,000 feet per minute.

This is data from the craft's mode S xpdr/radar (which can send data).  Essentially, if these figures are correct, they experienced a triple-digit updraft and then a subsequent downdraft likely after breaking apart.   A rotor maybe?  (essentially a horizontal tornado).  

Regardless of the accident, there may be precedent to re-examine the weather minimums for these airlines.  And yes, global warming may indeed cause us to have to change our flight systems (sooner rather than later).  This was somewhat expected, though hits home with a weather-related disaster such as this.  Scary.

Plane hit the water only 10km from loss of contact (assuming the current location is the point of impact, which isnt confirmed - they havent formally said they've found the plane), so literally got knocked out of the sky with not much horizontal velocity vector.  Crazy.  I read that the SOG (speed over ground) went as low as 65kts.  Must've been total chaos up there.   ACK!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 01:34:16 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 03:26:37 PM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #45 on: January 03, 2015, 05:17:24 AM

Besides Aliens it might also be possible that the data is simply wrong.

An Aviation Herald article points out that while the leaked screenshot shows fraction values for vertical as well as ground speed, the Mode-S/ADS-B specifications only allow vertical speed output in 64 feet per minute increments (and integers only). Similar situation for the ground speed.

Another weather induced cause that's being floated at the moment is icing. Besides that I don't think anything can be ruled out yet, with the exception of simple pilot error. To crash the plane like this despite flight envelope protection requires another factor/malfunction.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:41:34 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 03, 2015, 10:03:28 AM

I bet it's because the components were written with C.  That caused them to exceed spec and violate what's physically possible.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 03, 2015, 11:19:29 AM

I bet it's because the components were written with C.  That caused them to exceed spec and violate what's physically possible.

Rock Out

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #48 on: January 07, 2015, 02:49:12 PM

Can someone explain to me, in the year two-thousand fourteen of our lord Zeus, why we can't put an everlasting, always pinging GPS with an uninteruptable power supply and 48-72 hour battery backup on a goddamned plane, esp. after loosing the last two the way we did?
There is system that transmits flight information during emergencies. Cost is $120K per plane.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #49 on: January 14, 2015, 01:40:30 PM

They just found the fuselage.

The AirAsia slogan is "now everyone can fly".

The fuselage, sitting there underwater, for real says "ow everyone".

:-(
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 14, 2015, 01:41:51 PM

They just found the fuselage.

The AirAsia slogan is "now everyone can fly".

The fuselage, sitting there underwater, for real says "ow everyone".

:-(

Pics or it didn't happen.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #51 on: January 14, 2015, 01:46:59 PM

You could interpret it as "low everyone". I'm going by complete letters.

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 14, 2015, 01:49:40 PM

Yeah, just looks like 'low'. Almost amazing.
WayAbvPar

Reply #53 on: January 14, 2015, 01:52:30 PM

Have the black boxes been recovered as well? I haven't been following as closely as I normally would. I think MH370 burned out the circuits in my brain.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #54 on: January 14, 2015, 01:53:19 PM

Yes both were recovered.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 24, 2015, 06:14:43 AM

Germanwings A320 near Barcelonnette on Mar 24th 2015, lost height and impacted terrain

Quote from: Aviation Herald
A Germanwings Airbus A320-200, registration D-AIPX performing flight 4U-9525 from Barcelona,SP (Spain) to Dusseldorf (Germany) with 142 passengers and 6 crew, was enroute at FL380 about 30nm southeast of Marseille (France) when the aircraft initiated a rapid descent. Radar contact with the aircraft was lost at about 6800 feet at approx. 10:45L (09:45Z) about 12nm southwest of Barcelonnette (France), 75nm northwest of Marseille.

French Police reported two helicopter spotted the remains of the aircraft on the ground between Prads-Haute-Bleone and Barcelonnette (France) at about 2700 meters elevation (8800 feet), about half way between the two cities there is a mountain ridge rising up to 8900 feet.

The President of France reported, it does not appear there are any survivors. The crash site is very difficult to reach.

France's DGAC reported the crew transmitted an emergency call just prior to the aircraft disappearing from radar near Bassinet.

Lufthansa, parent company of Germanwings, reported they do not yet know what happened to flight 4U-9525.

Radar data suggest the aircraft had reached FL380 about 3 minutes prior to leaving FL380 and descended from FL380 through FL110 in 8 minutes (average rate of descent 3375 fpm). The aircraft appeared to have levelled off at FL068 for one minute while on a northeasterly heading of 26 degrees true, mountains rise up to 8900 feet about 1nm north of the last reported aircraft position.
Source

Summary: Plane crashed in a mountainous area, 148 people expected dead, crash site located.  sad

Edit: Another image, in case some geographical context is needed:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:34:28 AM by calapine »

disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 24, 2015, 06:33:17 AM

WayAbvPar

Reply #57 on: March 24, 2015, 11:08:27 AM

Ugh.

And (as usual) I am a terrible person for being relieved that it wasn't a Boeing plane. We have enough problems.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 24, 2015, 11:36:27 AM

Ugh.

And (as usual) I am a terrible person for being relieved that it wasn't a Boeing plane. We have enough problems.

I don't think that would have changed anything [for Boeing].  Crashes are rare, but they will keep happening, to planes of all manufacturers.

Out of curiosity, who is "we" though? Boeing?

WayAbvPar

Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 11:38:21 AM

Yeah...Boeing owns my employer  ACK!

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 11:42:39 AM

Yeah...Boeing owns my employer  ACK!

Oh. From reading about the 787 developments/hickups it looked like Boeing tends to pass the pressure down to the subcontractors. Is that really the case?

WayAbvPar

Reply #61 on: March 24, 2015, 11:43:25 AM

I will just say that this is a much less fun and rewarding place to work than it was before it was acquired.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 24, 2015, 11:44:29 AM

Sorry to hear.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 24, 2015, 01:09:30 PM

Caught a news headline on the same page as this today that mentioned that 2014 was the safest flying year on record.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 24, 2015, 01:42:23 PM

Caught a news headline on the same page as this today that mentioned that 2014 was the safest flying year on record.

And it's "true". But these statistics don't count MH 17 as it's considered a war loss. With it included it was merely an average year.

WayAbvPar

Reply #65 on: March 24, 2015, 01:46:09 PM

There are so many tiny little start up airlines buying used planes and shoe stringing along that there are just more planes in the air. Eventually some of them are going to experience uncontrolled flight into terrain. Or have the pilots wig the fuck out and fly to an uncharted island in the Indian Ocean  Ohhhhh, I see.

Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 24, 2015, 01:55:20 PM

Ugh.

A long time ago, I attended a presentation by the software reliability expert who performed one of the first audits of Airbus flight control software. Contractual agreements prevented sharing any concrete details, but the takeaway was that "I will never allow anyone I care about to fly on one of their airplanes". I can only hope their software has improved since then.

(yes, they were using the "right" programming languages even back then)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #67 on: March 24, 2015, 03:08:12 PM

It completely disintegrated. There's evidently nothing larger than "a small car" left and that appears to be part of the tail and fuselage.

There's no gore as humans stood no chance, so you'll find a good compilation of pics and updates here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/304a77/airliner_crashes_in_french_alps/cpp0a8i

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #68 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:03 PM

Has the hallmarks of an emergency decompression descent and for some reason not knowing the ground was just under 10k feet altitude (which is where such a decent is supposed to go).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 25, 2015, 06:18:11 PM

Apparently a pilot left the cockpit and was then locked out.

Do pilots like...not have keys? What happens if one pilot leaves the cockpit, it locks behind him, then the guy inside has a stroke?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Another plane missing  
Jump to: