Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:28:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  (Read 544378 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1155 on: November 19, 2015, 10:01:46 AM

Well, as much of a "pie in the sky" dream as a good PVP MMOG is, it's still a less ambitious goal than what Star Citizen is promising.  why so serious?

SkyNet has less feature creep than Star Citizen.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #1156 on: November 19, 2015, 10:22:13 AM

He might as well have just come out and said "We aren't Star Citizen."

Which is a good thing of course.

The SC debacle is a cautionary tale that might actually help other crowdfunded projects in the future. Nice of Christ Roberts to take that bullet for us. He is dying for our sins.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1157 on: November 19, 2015, 10:47:14 AM

I'm sure many funders will wish he was dead once this all spins into oblivion.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1158 on: November 20, 2015, 06:43:51 AM

I played the game last night. Feels much better than the previous version. Lag and latency is way down. Only complaint is combat feedback and controls are very loose.

They are making amazing progress.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1159 on: November 20, 2015, 08:33:32 AM

I played the game last night. Feels much better than the previous version. Lag and latency is way down. Only complaint is combat feedback and controls are very loose.

They are making amazing progress.

I should be in at some point during this test too, can't wait.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1160 on: November 20, 2015, 08:52:35 AM

I think I'm in too. Will give it a look this weekend.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
WayAbvPar

Reply #1161 on: November 20, 2015, 02:13:50 PM

Give them good feedback and help shape a good game.  I am done with betas and early access games, but I have a copy of this waiting if/when it ever comes out.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1162 on: November 22, 2015, 09:03:31 AM

Movement is...weird, but there is a surprisingly fun game here already after 8 months of work.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1163 on: November 24, 2015, 01:34:58 PM

All movement is server side. They haven't implemented client based movement yet. Should come either at the end of the 1.1 test or for the next testing group whenever that is.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1164 on: November 24, 2015, 02:32:22 PM

Well, it's not really "laggy" it's just...weird.

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1165 on: December 15, 2015, 02:01:42 AM

The new stage of testing will be about environment destruction, and it's gonna be called.... Siege Perilous. That is a beautiful, nostalgic low blow.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1166 on: December 18, 2015, 02:38:51 AM

Well, it's not really "laggy" it's just...weird.

I agree. The lag is there, but the weird part is that you don't control and move around your character like EVERY other MMORPG out there where the S key in the WASD scheme makes you backpedal. Instead, with S you turn around and run towards the camera. Basically, there is no strafe of any kind in the game at the moment (not even "backward strafing") and you move like you would in a Dark Souls game, minus the ability to lock target. It is not a matter of remapping, these are design decisions.

So yes, while it's less bad than it sounds (because your mouse still aims and rotates the camera very responsively), it is very weird. Seems thought for... a console controller.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1167 on: December 18, 2015, 07:25:32 AM

The control scheme is definitely not good, but I don't think they've really refined it at this point.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1168 on: December 21, 2015, 02:36:24 PM

So it's like the control setup in a tank game? sorta
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1169 on: December 21, 2015, 03:58:57 PM

Well, they listened to "us" and decided to delay the February test of Sieges and Destruction to focus on more combat polishing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQttL0fEY3c

In short, our whining delayed the game  awesome, for real

More seriously, a lot of good feedback might actually end up delivering a good combat system, should the game ever be released.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1170 on: December 27, 2015, 09:45:32 AM

Combat is paramount. The more they realize that, the better. It doesn't matter how many things you can destroy if you don't even like playing the combat.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1171 on: December 27, 2015, 10:50:48 AM

Yeah, they know that and they are making it their main focus which is very good.  On the other hand they seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel here and mostly striking out.  Ideal combat would be Tera, a second acceptable choice would be DCUO, those are the two games they said they were sorta modeling their combat after, but so far it was nowhere close to either.  I know it is super super early but they have a very limited budget and I'm not sure how many delays they can afford.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1172 on: December 27, 2015, 11:33:39 AM

Yeah, they know that and they are making it their main focus which is very good.  On the other hand they seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel here and mostly striking out.  Ideal combat would be Tera, a second acceptable choice would be DCUO, those are the two games they said they were sorta modeling their combat after, but so far it was nowhere close to either.  I know it is super super early but they have a very limited budget and I'm not sure how many delays they can afford.

Lead dev said he wants something close to Tera. He was actually a dev for DCUO for combat too.

The combat they rolled out was crap.  You weren't tied to the retical so it felt like a space sim.  There was no velocitybto your attacks. Etc etc.

In their last update video basically claims all the shit i hated about it they are fixing.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1173 on: December 29, 2015, 03:30:08 PM

Their big reveal finally dropped, it's basically account based leveling i think.

I am the .00000001428%
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1174 on: December 29, 2015, 03:46:58 PM

Yea pretty much.

Vessels are items that are tradeable, craftable, etc. , with quality/rarity levels. You possess one of them as a character to play as. That determines your stats, and puts a cap on your skills based on your race/class. Your actual skills are all account based, and passively train online or off like EVE.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1175 on: December 29, 2015, 05:54:26 PM

Seems like a fun system, also it means i get like 100 extra game dollars from my pledge since there are no extra character slots anymore.

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1176 on: December 30, 2015, 04:32:37 AM

I think you could say that you skill up level up your account, and then your characters are your EVE ships. Not surprised they call the characters "vessels", which literallymeans both "hollow container" and "large ship or boat". This is trying to cater more and more to the EVE people (but not just them).

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1177 on: December 30, 2015, 04:45:43 PM

It sounds like a good system. I hadn't realised the game was so hardcore though - it sounds like in certain circumstances people can loot your vessel, which is pretty much your character class, if they kill you. Presumably the basic vessels will actually be pretty easy to craft (like a basic "tier one" ship in Eve) but there also seem to be some rare vessels or vessels which need rare ingredients to craft.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1178 on: December 30, 2015, 04:53:55 PM

That's only in 0.0 though (Dregs).

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1179 on: December 31, 2015, 06:59:21 AM

That's only in 0.0 though (Dregs).

This. You can choose what campaign/servers to play on and change it periodically, so you are never ever forced to go anywhere where you can be looted upon death.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1180 on: January 01, 2016, 01:33:59 AM

Wow, this is actually a really cool system.  They did their homework and tried to pick the best parts of other systems out there, rather than trying to stick with the standard WoW MMO path.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:45:56 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1181 on: January 01, 2016, 03:45:10 AM

Relevant additional info:

CROWS AND VESSELS FAQ

How does advancement work in Crowfall?

Advancement in Crowfall is slightly different than what you’ve seen in other games. We’ve effectively broken advancement into two parts: physical (represented by attributes such as Strength, Intelligence, etc.) and mental (skill gain, such as concentration or competency with two-handed weapons).

Every player is an immortal, chosen by the gods to participate in an endless war to determine who shall be the King of the Gods. As an immortal, you have the ability to take different forms (or avatar) which provide you different attributes and powers. You retain your memories between these vessels, in the form of retained knowledge (skills).

What is a “vessel” and how does it work?

Vessels are (basically) bodies – corporeal forms that players can inhabit. You possess the body of a fallen hero and use it for as long as you like.  It’s up to you how frequently you want to change vessels – some players will collect them and change often, other players will pick one that they like and play it forever.

Do the players have a spiritual (non-corporeal) form?  How do I appear when I am in between avatars?

You have an immortal form that looks like a ghostly crow in the 3D world. This represents your immortal, eternal spirit.

In technical terms, the crow is really the “account level” version of you (the player). You take this form in the game when you die and remain in that form until you possess your next vessel.

How do you split advancement between the crow and the avatar(s)?

Character power is divided into two distinct parts:

Physical Attributes are dictated by the mortal vessel.  This means that a Minotaur Myrmidon will be much stronger than an Elven Frostweaver who will be much more agile than a Human Knight. The avatar will set base attributes and will encapsulate the combined effects of runestones (archetype, disciplines, talents and traits).

Spiritual Knowledge is comprised of the memories that you accumulate over the course of many lives – which means that they are stored on your crow. Think of this as the residual knowledge that you carry between avatars, such as how to craft a helmet, recite an incantation or wield a blade. The vessel that you choose to possess (your avatar) will determine how much of your residual knowledge you can use at any time.

Notable Functionality:

Each Crowfall account may have one crow (and thus one master skill list).
All skill training happens on the crow.  This means that skill train benefits you across all characters, subject to the skill limitations of each vessel.
Guild memberships happens at the crow (account) level. You can change between avatars without affecting your guild affiliation.
Crows will have a unique name.  Avatars can take names as well, but they are not unique.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1182 on: January 01, 2016, 09:56:20 AM

Well crap this is actually looking interesting.

No way I can see it can be played casually though. It's looking like it's going to be one of those, "Live in the world, or just give up" type of games.

Pretty much why I gave up on group PvP -- just can't make that kind of time investment anymore.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1183 on: January 01, 2016, 11:02:01 AM

Yep. You're going to find a lot of people coming to that realization, too. Even back in the Shadowbane days I was "casual" and I was sticking 5-8 hours a night into the game.

The quote I had back then was something like, "You don't have to be the best to win open PVP games. You just have to play an hour longer than your opponent."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1184 on: January 01, 2016, 11:05:19 AM

The quote I had back then was something like, "You don't have to be the best to win open PVP games. You just have to play an hour longer than your opponent."
Or, depending on the system used, "You just have to hold the advantage at the right time (zone)".
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1185 on: January 01, 2016, 11:47:36 AM

Is this a game where joining a big guild is going to be a good thing?

Edit: From what I can see on the website it doesn't have factions, which would make it a bit easier to just drop into I think, as you'd just find out what a big group in your faction is up to and go join them. If it's a complete free for all then I guess being in a guild becomes more important?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:50:01 AM by palmer_eldritch »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1186 on: January 01, 2016, 12:09:38 PM

There are a large amount of different rule sets, some are factions (chaos order and neutral) some are god based (12 different sides) some are guild based and some are free for all.

I am the .00000001428%
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1187 on: January 01, 2016, 12:24:20 PM

I feel like I'm going to join the hype train
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1188 on: January 01, 2016, 01:47:55 PM

You're old and don't have the time. Just say no.  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #1189 on: January 01, 2016, 03:45:38 PM

You're old and don't have the time. Just say no.  why so serious?

That's what I keep telling myself.  Hopefully it will be subscription based.  If it is ftp or buy the box to play I'll probably get sucked in.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Crowfall aka Play2Crush aka Shadowbane II aka Nostalgia Online  
Jump to: