Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:50:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Luke Cage 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Luke Cage  (Read 58421 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 02, 2016, 06:34:14 PM

Off the top of my head I remember them saying Captain America and Iron Man.
I wasn't there yet.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #71 on: October 02, 2016, 08:56:00 PM

The actual use of "sweet Christmas" and the 70s outfit did it for me.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #72 on: October 02, 2016, 10:13:45 PM

Half way through. Yeah, the 70s look was awesome.

Loving the live music, which is interesting because I've never really considered myself a fan of those genres. Admittedly, I've had to go and look up who each performer was.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: October 03, 2016, 06:53:56 AM

I finished last night. Although I enjoyed the whole thing, I feel like it petered out a bit.  I felt like they were more driven by story beats than by the story in the last several episodes. There was also something, although forshadowed, that felt insanely out of place and made little sense. 

In terms of ranking the series we've seen so far, I'd say all 4 Netflix seasons have been better than any of the ABC stuff... but this was not my favorite Netflix series.  I loved a lot of it, but there was some important stuff that just didn't work and felt a bit unexplained.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:07:02 AM by jgsugden »

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: October 03, 2016, 07:05:06 AM

All in all I enjoyed it especially for the first half but I felt it lost a lot of steam and tension when  and the Shades character felt a little bit out of place though that might have been due to the actor who didn't really fit into the role in my opinion.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 03, 2016, 07:19:53 AM

Shades seemed like he belonged in the Matrix.

I am the .00000001428%
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: October 03, 2016, 07:37:45 AM

Shades seemed like he belonged in the Matrix.
He might have looked like (more or less) the comic character but he didn't feel the same:
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #77 on: October 03, 2016, 12:41:02 PM

I just want Deadpimp, goddamned Fox. Or is it Sony? Goddamned licensing.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: October 03, 2016, 01:18:08 PM

I just want Deadpimp, goddamned Fox. Or is it Sony? Goddamned licensing.
If Sony, and I'd have to imagine it would be if Marvel does not have the wrongs (I refuse to call them rights for a character named Deadpimp), has the rights, then the Spider-man deal should open the door for Marvel.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #79 on: October 03, 2016, 01:28:45 PM

Deadpimp, as one of Deadpool's alters, is presumably with Fox.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: October 03, 2016, 08:53:47 PM

Deadpimp, as one of Deadpool's alters, is presumably with Fox.

--Dave
Ahhh... I focused onpimp, not dead. Shame on me.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #81 on: October 04, 2016, 05:49:15 AM

Half way through, enjoying it so far.  Though I'm kind of getting tired of the fact that apparently EVERY SINGLE cop in NY in theses series is working for the bad guys.  They've leaned on it too heavily between all the series, and it's a lazy writing way of getting villains out of situations.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 04, 2016, 07:32:33 AM

Based on first episode only...

Liked the total lack of superpowers and equally the willingness to not explain every damn thought and expression. Possibly I'm giving extra credit on this because the thing I watched beforehand was Agents of Terrible Exposition.

Didn't like the hint that there will be an unnecessary origin story.

I still find the way they talk about fairly small neighbourhoods as if they were entire cities weird and annoying. I suspect if you lived on Mars and saw this episode after watching JJ, you' d assume Harlem was in a different state to Hell's Kitchen.

Many people have pointed out the music, but what worked for me about it was that it prevented the show becoming too real, which is important assuming the show becomes more escapist later on.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 04, 2016, 08:16:37 AM

Half way through, enjoying it so far.  Though I'm kind of getting tired of the fact that apparently EVERY SINGLE cop in NY in theses series is working for the bad guys.  They've leaned on it too heavily between all the series, and it's a lazy writing way of getting villains out of situations.
It is lazy, but it is a huge trend in Marvel street level comics.  Part of the reason the heroes are needed is that the police are mostly in the pockets of the bad guys.  This is something that trends back and forth with the political winds, but there are cops on the take in Spider-man, Daredevil, Moon Knight, etc... 

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #84 on: October 04, 2016, 12:13:46 PM

So apparently, some (white) people are getting into a tizzy on Twitter because Luke Cage, which takes place in Harlem...doesn't have many non-black characters.  swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #85 on: October 04, 2016, 12:39:57 PM

Heh, fuck Twitter users.

I guess you could say it's pretty "black", but that's clearly the intent. Is it authentic? Is it being laid on a little thick? Beats me, I'm not black and not from Harlem. It doesn't get in the way of the show, which is well acted and well written. I've liked almost everything outside of the prerequisite origin story.

-Rasix
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 04, 2016, 01:28:14 PM

So apparently, some (white) people are getting into a tizzy on Twitter because Luke Cage, which takes place in Harlem...doesn't have many non-black characters.  swamp poop
It didn't?

*I* didn't notice because *I'm* a smug SoB that doesn't see color in people. 

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 04, 2016, 01:29:38 PM

Heh, fuck Twitter users.

I guess you could say it's pretty "black", but that's clearly the intent. Is it authentic? Is it being laid on a little thick? Beats me, I'm not black and not from Harlem. It doesn't get in the way of the show, which is well acted and well written. I've liked almost everything outside of the prerequisite origin story.
This is one of those situations where I want to ask some of my friends that are from NY (recently) how realistic it is... but... No.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #88 on: October 04, 2016, 01:33:52 PM

Not many white people in Harlem except around Columbia University.

I have never played WoW.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: October 04, 2016, 01:41:05 PM

My main question for anybody who knows:  Is Harlem still fairly rough like that?  They tried to give it an in universe story reasons for Daredevil, but from what I hear, Hell's Kitchen has actually gentrified into a pretty nice neighborhood.  So it's a little giggleworthy they keep trying to portray it as the original comics from the 60's and 70's portrayed it.  Curious if it's the same with Harlem or not.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:19:38 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #90 on: October 04, 2016, 03:33:51 PM

At any given time, you can find people in a tizzy on Twitter on nearly any subject you can think of. Getting people into a tizzy is the default state for Twitter. I bet that I would have found flat earthers crowing about the SpaceX mess. But on certain subjects, you can write a story that consists entirely of "point and laugh at these trolls and the idiots they incite" embedded tweets, and have it go viral.

It's a sweet gimmick for both the trolls and the "journalists" that write the stories, to the point that the line between them is getting very vague.

--Dave

Edit: Yes, it's a very 'black' show, and it also deliberately invokes the tropes of the blaxploitation movies that inspired the original comic. But it's about as controversial as "Good Times" or Sanford and Son.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:38:42 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: October 04, 2016, 05:33:21 PM

I was bothered by how much of the plot was driven by idiocy.  Too much Luke beating up henchmen without doing anything about the real problem, he could have ended cottonmouth at any point he wanted, and he should have wanted to after they killed Pops.  Also when Diamondback had him dead to rights and gives him a talk about how one judas bullet nearly killed him and the next one was going to finish the job then half asses the shot and hits him in the shoulder i actually yelled at the screen.  Don't put the hero in unwinnable situations that he gets out of through luck/stupidity, that is just bad writing.  Soundtrack was amazing, the acting and characters were good, the plot was mostly dumb.  Probably my least favorite Marvel/Netflix show so far.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: October 05, 2016, 09:53:14 AM

Harlem has gentrified a good deal, especially closer to Central Park. So to some extent the show's Harlem is a bit like Daredevil's Hell's Kitchen, which is not at all a rough neighborhood in the real NYC any longer and hasn't been for a long time.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #93 on: October 05, 2016, 11:32:55 AM

Agreed. Harlem isn't white but it isn't dangerous either, until maybe 180th street. It starts at 110th. 110th to 125th is/was considered the hispanic section and above 125th is the black section. As Manhattan rents have increased over the last 15 years, gentrification moved furrther and further north but has paused and maybe even retrenched in the last few years.

I have never played WoW.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #94 on: October 05, 2016, 11:48:02 PM

I'm only up to episode 4, but I just rewatched episode 1 with my wife. On a second viewing, I couldn't believe how similar it is to season 1 of The Wire. The club, the gangsters, the cops, the street culture, the micro-arcs in the story, the story elements, it's like a rewrite of the Avon Barksdale days, but in the Marvel universe. I know they've said that was where they were going, but on my second viewing, it was almost like a good rip-off of The Wire, not just vaguely similar!

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #95 on: October 14, 2016, 12:45:30 AM

I loved the show. It was a love letter to the neighborhood I spent a lot of my formative years in. That barbershop actually is a barbershop. The church where they had the funeral is just down the block. Most of the action you see takes place a few blocks below 125th Street and Lenox/Malcolm X.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #96 on: October 14, 2016, 05:39:39 AM

It reminded me of the area from the late '80s, so kudos to them. Aside from the uneven pacing, I enjoyed it more than any of the MCU films I've seen.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 14, 2016, 08:15:00 AM

Half way through.

Can't help thinking they have a problem in that they can't seem to find a way to build any sort of threat to Luke.

People keep talking about ways to hurt him but not actually doing it. Then suddenly something does happen, and it has no real build up, and no real credibility because I don't imagine the guy the show is named after was just killed instantly.

The episode where they threaten other people to get at Luke worked well - but then everyone forgot they can do that.

But it is fun.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: October 15, 2016, 08:31:56 AM

Maria had two very good ideas that got completely ignored by cottonmouth.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #99 on: October 15, 2016, 01:15:21 PM

Yeah, I was a little disappointed when those got ignored in favor of magic bullet.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #100 on: October 16, 2016, 11:02:56 AM

I'm on ep12 and what bothers me more than the pacing and weird inability to think by the villains are the variances in his powers.

They never really decided how strong he was and what his limits are. He just busted three pairs of handcuffs and a reinforced police vehicle, but then is almost trapped because there's no door. Go through the wall already. Steel is stronger than masonry, he's got it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 16, 2016, 12:41:04 PM

I found this to be somewhat disappointing compared to the other Marvel Netflix shows, despite a fairly strong start. The degree of plot-required idiocy, horrific pacing and the fact I never came to enjoy/like most of the characters sealed the deal. Not sure I'll bother with season two when it eventually lands.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 16, 2016, 02:03:44 PM

I'm only up to episode 4, but I just rewatched episode 1 with my wife. On a second viewing, I couldn't believe how similar it is to season 1 of The Wire. The club, the gangsters, the cops, the street culture, the micro-arcs in the story, the story elements, it's like a rewrite of the Avon Barksdale days, but in the Marvel universe. I know they've said that was where they were going, but on my second viewing, it was almost like a good rip-off of The Wire, not just vaguely similar!

There is a lot of The Wire throughout, but the last episode, and the montage at the end of that *really* reminded me of it.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #103 on: October 17, 2016, 01:04:34 PM

Watched ep1. Didn't grab me like JJ did, though I plan to watch it all certainly.

Why would Luke scoff at dating the woman who walked into the barber shop and then bang the lady from the bar that same night? Didn't fit.

The fight scene at the end made him too powerful even if it aligns with the comic and JJ. That level of invulnerability will be hard to threaten.

Cottonmouth was the best part of ep1.

I have never played WoW.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 17, 2016, 01:14:27 PM

Why would Luke scoff at dating the woman who walked into the barber shop and then bang the lady from the bar that same night? Didn't fit.
The joy of seducing a women vs. taking a girl who is blatantly throwing herself at you?  Also, second girl significantly hotter.

It's not really a stretch.

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Marvel's Luke Cage  
Jump to: