Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:59:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: The Lord of the Rings: War in the North - Snowblind Studios - PC Master Race 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings: War in the North - Snowblind Studios - PC Master Race  (Read 5682 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

on: December 22, 2014, 02:14:28 AM

Pick up price: $5.00

Play as dwarf killer, human ranger, or elf mage in this side story within Tolkien's epic story of a man and his manservant dropping a ring into a volcano.
I didn't expect much. I was really bored. And boy I hate to be right. The game is an action arcade RPG with the RPG tag earned from distributing points on skill tree and stats. You also get plenty of coins (by smashing ton of barrels) to spend on gears.

This game has co-op with 2 other players and generally is 'lore-accurate' as some reviewer mentioned.

To be honest the combat felt okay for the first few hours. And got tired by the third. If you feel the ever-repetitive LMB LMB LMB *YELLOW TRIANGLE* RMB! loop is engaging enough, I guess you'd be entertained. Also, there's ranged attacks and ballista sequence where you fire explosive projectles at sappers (squigs), gobbos and tons of orks.

It feels like LotR: Space Marine at times. But the lack of variety killed it too quick. I finished Space Marine, but I stopped this at the 3rd hour.

VERDICT: Not enough fun.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:35:46 PM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 03:59:22 PM

I tried to play this in co-op, and it was a lot more fun as a co-op game. Unfortunately, due to game-breaking savegame bugs that were never fixed before Snowblind was merged into oblivion, the game is unplayable as a 3-player co-op game unless you intend to have a.. I dunno? 15-hour? 20 hour? session.

How the fuck they managed to fuck up the co-op when it was sold as the game's raison d'etre I can't fucking fathom.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 05:18:35 PM

Good to know, I'd consider this.

I shall now stop.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:22:17 PM

I dunno how much I'd like it or not as a SP game (I never finished Space Marine, for example - probably should make myself go back and finish it now that I have some time off, actually) but it was quite fun in MP with 3, right until it failed to save properly after playing for a couple of hours. It might be fun as a $5 thing to hop in and out of? (for people aside from rk47?)

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: The Lord of the Rings: War in the North - Snowblind Studios - PC Master Race  
Jump to: