Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:52:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Terminator Genisys 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terminator Genisys  (Read 33971 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

on: October 29, 2014, 11:40:04 AM

There's apparently no thread for this.

So, yeah, it's happening. i09 has a blurb about it.

The.. summary sounds... terrible.

http://io9.com/terminator-genisys-insane-plot-reveal-is-a-total-nightm-1652315938

Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:03:24 PM by Trippy »

beer geek.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:41:57 AM

Someone needs to tell Skynet you can't keep fucking with causality like that.

Maybe that'll be the end of this season's Dr. Who.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:23:21 PM

Fuck me, that sounds idiotic.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:42:09 PM

Believe it or not, that isn't a typo in the title. It's a biting commentary on the general decline of the U.S. education system and a gullible entertainment consumer base.

Oh, wait, Rule of Cool? Nevermind.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:35 PM

This sounds fucking awesome.

Features one of the Doctors, going to be complete trash.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:58:58 PM

Now Game of Thrones will have 2 Sarah Connors.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:01:31 PM

swamp poop

fakeedit:

Now Game of Thrones will have 2 Sarah Connors.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS  They definitely need to get Linda Hamilton in a bit role somewhere just to complete the set.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 05:12:03 PM

I'm guessing this must be a reboot rather than an attempt to make a prequel to the existing films?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 05:12:59 PM

Terminator ended at T2 for me.  I have no faith in this reboot or whatever it is.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 05:40:06 PM

This is a really out of date April fools joke, right?  Right?!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 08:33:11 AM

What's so crazy about it? Terminator series has always been about events being changed by time travelling.

I even liked T3, was a solid chase movie, good special effects, the time travel stuff was a bit complicated but made sense once you figured it out, so overall wasn't idiotic. Yes the angsty mid 20s John Conner character & love interest were annoying, but so was the John Conner kid character in T2.

The problem with T4 was that the story was all over the place. It went from tightly wound chase movies with well timed ups and downs + time travel spice to much more a much more generic action plot.

T5 could be very good if they get back to the original formula, as long as they don't dumb it down too much for foreign audiences which is unfortunately what most big budget action movies do these days.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:30:25 AM

The Terminator Games Part 1: Mockingfans

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 12:09:26 PM

What's so crazy about it? Terminator series has always been about events being changed by time travelling.

Terminator 1 and 2 (the "good" Terminator movies; I think people generally agree that 3 and Salvation were crap, and Sarah Connor Chronicles was good but it was kind of its own separate thing) were both about the exact opposite of that -- they were causality loops.  Everything happened the way it had always happened.  John Connor and Skynet both only existed in the first place because they sent their own daddies back in time.  At no point did we see anything actually change as a result of time travel; no events that we saw come to pass ended up getting changed.

Having the new movie undo the continuity of the earlier movies is garbage.  Yes, I know Star Trek did it -- if Star Trek jumped off a bridge would you jump off a bridge too, Terminator?  Would you?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 01:29:50 PM

Well, yes. awesome, for real

Someone gave me a RoboCop t-shirt which is the only reason I remember there was a reboot of that.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 01:33:46 PM

Sarah Connor Chronicles was quite good, apart from the abrupt ending.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 02:38:46 PM

Terminator 1 and 2 (the "good" Terminator movies; I think people generally agree that 3 and Salvation were crap, and Sarah Connor Chronicles was good but it was kind of its own separate thing) were both about the exact opposite of that -- they were causality loops.  Everything happened the way it had always happened.  John Connor and Skynet both only existed in the first place because they sent their own daddies back in time.  At no point did we see anything actually change as a result of time travel; no events that we saw come to pass ended up getting changed.

Having the new movie undo the continuity of the earlier movies is garbage.  Yes, I know Star Trek did it -- if Star Trek jumped off a bridge would you jump off a bridge too, Terminator?  Would you?

They did change it. The events of each movie altered the circumstances of judgement day, but in the end skynet & judgement day were inevitable due to ongoing computer development, they happened anyway decades before any time travelling began in T1. The tech left in the 80s from T1 sped it up, the attack on the corporation in T2 slowed it down, but was picked up by the US military after leading up to judgement day in T3.  The daddy part was the thing that never made full sense, who would have been John Connor's father if Kyle Reese was never sent back in time? I guess it didn't matter what random dirtbag knocked up Sarah Connor even though they made a big deal about it.

So conceivably if the events of T1 to T4 have altered the plans of future skynet from its original plan at the beginning of T1, to make an assassination attempt on Sarah Connor as a child instead of as a 20 something year old for whatever reason. So I think the plot can still hold up, whether or not its actually a good film depends on plenty of other things.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:41:14 PM by Speedy Cerviche »
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 01:13:18 PM

What is the purpose of misspelling genesis?

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 01:14:51 PM

It's edgy. Ironically.  why so serious?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 01:14:58 PM

Sys due to computers and Geni due to Christina Aguilera.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 08:22:07 PM

...What?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 10:39:50 PM

Creation mythology + computers?

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 06:58:06 AM

Its actually misspelling the blend of Geriatric and Syphilis, which is the result of having the Inseminator still playing a Terminator.

Hic sunt dracones.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 08:36:11 AM

...What?

Geni in a bottle.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 12:44:10 PM

awesome, for real

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 04:50:04 PM

Well, I had little interest in this, but if Christina Aguilera is involved, colour me interested!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 05:15:27 PM

I would like to see this movie die before coming to it's diabolical fruition...

Therefore I ask,

Will Phil Collins being providing the soundtrack?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 08:09:43 PM

Unlikely. He had a stroke a few years ago and lost control of his hands. He can't play the drums anymore.

Hic sunt dracones.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 08:46:07 AM

Peter Gabriel's chance to step back into the limelight!
Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 01:43:11 PM

Peter Gabriel's chance to step back into the limelight!

About damn time, I suppose we can go there as well.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 05:23:52 PM

Not that it is important but Phil didn't have a stroke.

"There isn't any drama regarding my 'disability' and playing drums. Somehow during the last Genesis tour I dislocated some vertebrae in my upper neck and that affected my hands. After a successful operation on my neck, my hands still can't function normally. Maybe in a year or so it will change, but for now it is impossible for me to play drums or piano. I am not in any 'distressed' state; stuff happens in life."

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 05:57:44 PM

OH cool! I heard it was a stroke but I'm glad its not.

Hic sunt dracones.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 02:32:00 AM

He's also out of retirement and performing at a charidee concert in Miami in December. He'll always be out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. And he absolutely will not stop making music, ever, until you are dead.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 07, 2014, 09:44:12 PM

I know the cool answer is to say something cynical about consumers and such, but the reason is probably copyright / trademark. (As well as search engines) That's generally why a lot of companies these days come up with unique spellings.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 12:51:51 PM

Because "sys" has a computery/tech vibe to it I figured.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #34 on: November 08, 2014, 04:44:00 PM

performing at a charidee concert

I like what you did there.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Terminator Genisys  
Jump to: