Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:44:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Terminator Genisys 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terminator Genisys  (Read 33974 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #35 on: December 04, 2014, 01:02:32 PM

Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc

That actually looks like it might be good.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: December 04, 2014, 01:06:28 PM

It look decent though I can't help but feel like trying to remake Terminator #1 again... well, we've seen this before.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 01:09:10 PM

And #2, not sure about #3.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: December 04, 2014, 01:16:56 PM

It looks like they took the best parts of 1 and 2 and rebooted the franchise with it. I hope the future aspects are confined to the first 10 minutes. I don't expect it to have anything like the pacing of the first film. I expected it, but Sarah Connor being *introduced* as a saavy Eddie Furlong? It's like they surgically excised all the establishment and character development. Where's the room for character development?

So everyone in the past already expects the Terminators. OK. But they never resolved the premise of the third film -- Judgment Day *has* to happen for anyone to be going back to alter timelines. I don't know.  swamp poop

That said, I would go see it.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 04, 2014, 01:19:41 PM

swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 04, 2014, 01:38:37 PM

Odd.  That's a good trailer and looks like a movie I could enjoy except...

Except it's a remake/reboot.  It's Hollywood doing what they do best and New Trek all in a oner.

I'm just...

Tired ?

Mother of Dragons was good tho.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 04, 2014, 01:43:18 PM

I don't think it's supposed to be a remake or a reboot, i'm pretty sure it's a continuation of the series.  It's just stealing the good bits from the old movies.

I am the .00000001428%
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: December 04, 2014, 01:53:49 PM

I don't think it's supposed to be a remake or a reboot, i'm pretty sure it's a continuation of the series.  It's just stealing the good bits from the old movies.

Doesn't it basically overwrite the first two movies, the only decent ones?  Or am I missing something?  Alternate timeline?  Are they pulling a Star Trek (2009)?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 04, 2014, 01:57:33 PM

Doesn't it basically overwrite the first two movies, the only decent ones?  Or am I missing something?  Alternate timeline?  Are they pulling a Star Trek (2009)?

That is exactly what they re doing.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #44 on: December 04, 2014, 02:27:56 PM

I'm conflicted.  Reason tells me that this should suck, but that trailer looks like something I want to watch.  Help.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: December 04, 2014, 02:41:37 PM

Well yes, overwriting the previous stuff is basically what you get with time travel movies.

I am the .00000001428%
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #46 on: December 04, 2014, 02:46:49 PM

More like Sarah Conner Chronicles, basically they're taking the multiple timelines/fucked causality stuff seriously, and Reese is winding up in a timeline that is all scrambled up because time-traveling Terminators (and alternate timeline versions of himself) have been messing with it. Everything in the other Terminator movies has already happened, *and* been undone, *and* been redone. Timey-wimey wibbly-wobbly...stuff, diagrams with cocktail straws, etc.

I'm actually a lot more interested in it now than I was when it was just a reboot/remake.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 04, 2014, 02:51:44 PM

Well yes, overwriting the previous stuff is basically what you get with time travel movies.

Which is kind of ironic given the message of the last couple of Terminator movies was "it didn't matter what we were trying to do, it was going to happen anyway."

I honestly don't care even remotely enough about the Terminator series to care either way.  If the movie is decent I'll watch it when it comes to Netflix.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 04, 2014, 03:13:08 PM

OK, I'll be cautiously optimistic then. If the whole point is dealing with a screwed up timeline, then I'm on board.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #49 on: December 04, 2014, 03:19:43 PM

I'm conflicted.  Reason tells me that this should suck, but that trailer looks like something I want to watch.  Help.

Marketing.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 04, 2014, 03:25:35 PM

Which is kind of ironic given the message of the last couple of Terminator movies was "it didn't matter what we were trying to do, it was going to happen anyway."

Which of course went completely against the message of the second movie: "The future has not been written. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

Over and out.
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: December 04, 2014, 05:05:33 PM

Omfg gimme
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 05, 2014, 03:46:32 AM

The under title "Genisys" sounds horrible in my opinion.

Maybe it's a poor attempt at trying to be clever by compounding Gen(eration) I(from Ipod/Ipad ect. and a play on GenX and GenY) Sys(tem).  Hence it could be Generation I System, for which there could be further interpretation. Like it's a hint at how the current Generation I being more integrated into computer system than previous gen X and Y (cyborgization).. or Gen I System is related to the new terminator in some way and so on.. But probably not. More likely they are just trying to be cool..
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 05, 2014, 06:14:03 AM

The I-minator!

Apple, call me for rights to the name.

Hic sunt dracones.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 05, 2014, 06:45:27 AM

I-minator: "It's the smoothest terminator to date - death experience has never come in such a fast, elegant and effortless package before!"

(I see potential for removing all the hipsters and Apple freaks through a clever trap with this product - I endorse it)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #55 on: December 05, 2014, 07:18:49 AM

Name sucks, but based on that trailer I actually want to see this. That's a big step up over say Salvation, whose trailer pretty much guaranteed I wouldn't watch it (I still haven't).

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 05, 2014, 08:36:40 AM

Good.  It was utter shite.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 05, 2014, 09:02:24 AM

Makes up for the absolutely terrible Entertainment Weekly pictorial.

Who's Matt Smith's character?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #58 on: December 05, 2014, 11:56:14 AM

I love what I am seeing but the name is just awful. Casting Daenerys is a good call.

I have never played WoW.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #59 on: December 05, 2014, 12:57:06 PM

I have absolutely no confidence in the terminator franchise regardless what the trailers look like.

"Me am play gods"
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 05, 2014, 02:04:42 PM

As long as it's a good popcorn flick I'm fine with it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: December 05, 2014, 03:32:49 PM

Look, it's this simple.  In that trailer, Arnie said "I'll be back" and jumped out of a fucking helicopter so he could hit a fucking truck at terminal velocity and explode it.

Fucking Be There.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 06, 2014, 08:09:34 AM

It was another helicopter he dove in to, shattering its blades.  That's even cooler.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 06, 2014, 06:58:32 PM

Both of those things.

The trailer was hella fun. It wasn't emo teens of #3 nor the entire string of WTF that was 4. We've all just jumped into another timestream of the multiverse where someone picked up where Cameron left off at the end of #2.

I'm so the fuck there.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: December 06, 2014, 07:35:43 PM

THIS trailer was ok, but a lightsaber with a crossguard isn't...? You people confuse me sometimes.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #65 on: December 06, 2014, 11:01:14 PM

THIS trailer was ok, but a lightsaber with a crossguard isn't...? You people confuse me sometimes.
Terminator is and always has been cheesy sci-fi action movies with lots of running jokes and New Science As The Plot Requires (okay, the first one was more towards Horror than the later ones, but it was still cheesy and on-purpose funny). This looks like a cheesy sci-fi action movie with new entries into the running jokes and new tachyon particle concentrators.  Of course we're happy.

Star Wars, on the other hand, was High Fantasy in Space Opera drag, and has been so all over the place in terms of tone and style that everyone is just trying to be the first ones to call The Reason that this next one will suck. Oh, and light-saber crossguards are fucking goofy, and not in a funny way.

--Dave

EDIT: Which is why most people hated Salvation: It was way off the others in tone, there were no jokes and the "science" was too painfully 'realistic'. I liked it well enough for what it was, but I think Christian Bale can make even a POS like Equilibrium worth watching.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:09:57 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #66 on: December 07, 2014, 12:18:41 AM

Alan Taylor is a solid director and the IP is muddled but cool. I'll see this.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 07, 2014, 08:02:01 AM

I am consistent in that I was fine with the lightsaber.  Also Colbert's explanation.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #68 on: December 07, 2014, 08:29:35 AM

Terminator is and always has been cheesy sci-fi action movies with lots of running jokes and New Science As The Plot Requires (okay, the first one was more towards Horror than the later ones, but it was still cheesy and on-purpose funny). This looks like a cheesy sci-fi action movie with new entries into the running jokes and new tachyon particle concentrators.  Of course we're happy.

Star Wars, on the other hand, was High Fantasy in Space Opera drag, and has been so all over the place in terms of tone and style that everyone is just trying to be the first ones to call The Reason that this next one will suck. Oh, and light-saber crossguards are fucking goofy, and not in a funny way.

--Dave

EDIT: Which is why most people hated Salvation: It was way off the others in tone, there were no jokes and the "science" was too painfully 'realistic'. I liked it well enough for what it was, but I think Christian Bale can make even a POS like Equilibrium worth watching.

What? No.

Good lord the problem becomes evident.

This looked like Baysplosion garbage that action movies have gone to.  A bus flipping and the pre-teen in it with no seat belt surviving? That's consistent with the tone and action of T1 and T2?

Fucking no.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #69 on: December 07, 2014, 11:46:37 AM

Yeah, what Merusk said. If there's one thing T1 and T2 were not, it was Baysplosion shit. Granted, James Cameron is a terrible writer but this looks like it took one of the few good stories he did and fucked with it because... reasons. Also, James Cameron is an insanely good technical director and this is not.

I don't know that it will suck but the trailer made me think more Oz the Great and Powerful than a solid re-imagining/continuation of Terminator.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Terminator Genisys  
Jump to: