Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:27:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Flash 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Flash  (Read 91502 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: October 09, 2014, 07:35:51 AM

So as not to lose any discussion on the Flash series in the Arrow thread, I give you THE FLASH!!!

I watched the first episode last night and LOVED it. Whereas I think Arrow needed a few episodes to really gets its feet under it, Flash started extremely strong. It didn't hurt that the character had already been established in Arrow but I think even if you hadn't seen those episodes, you would enjoy this one. For fans of the Flash with lots of prior knowledge of the character, there were a TON of hints and nods. Gorilla Grodd will be showing up, there will be time travel, and the season trailer at the end of the episode showed at the very least Captain Cold and Mirror Master. I can totally recommend the series to anyone that likes comic book action shows.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 08:05:33 AM

I agree that it was promising, especially for a pilot. 

His fast movement effects were a bit disappointing.  I liked Quicksilver in DoFP much better.  However, budget limitations are a real thing, so I guess we can take what we can get.  I'm really curious to see how they manage to introduce a world of super villains on a budget - and which heroes may visit.  Atom, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle all seem likely given the setups on Arrow and Flash (and media coverage).  But will we get Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, or some of the other major characters?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:32:48 AM

I don't currently expect a lot of the major super hero characters to show up. Villains a plenty - I think they can do most of Flash's villains on a TV budget.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 08:40:29 AM

I don't currently expect a lot of the major super hero characters to show up. Villains a plenty - I think they can do most of Flash's villains on a TV budget.

Third string heroes sure but even though the DC tv-verse is seperate from the movies they won't be doing anything like green lantern in case they want to make another show.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 09:30:19 AM

Third string heroes sure but even though the DC tv-verse is seperate from the movies they won't be doing anything like green lantern in case they want to make another show.

There have been rumblings that they may pop Green Lantern on Flash or Arrow.  I mean they have The Atom on there right now.  It may not be full on GL, but they may have Hal Jordan show up. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 11:25:00 AM

Dude is going to cause about a million dollars in car damage per episode.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 07:52:52 PM

Ferris at the airport was a clear Lantern related reference.  I do expect there will be something there, eventually, even if it is a one episode appearance.

Firestorm is also confirmed to appear soon - they've cast both the actors.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 09:38:37 AM

I like Arrow, but first episode was much better than any Arrow episode through the first season and a half I've seen. The real difference is the caliber of the actors. The mandatory melodrama is handled much better, way less overacting. I never felt emoted at and that's a good thing. Hopefully it keeps up.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 11:46:11 AM

Liked this a lot better than I did Gotham.  Planning on keeping up with it.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 08:14:14 PM

Very much enjoying, well, two episodes in anyway smiley It's a good contrast to Arrow. Much less over dramatic stuff. I really like the doctor. I don't know anywhere near anything about the lore of Flash, so am missing all the fanservice and references. I rather enjoy that.

GL could be an interesting spinoff, though I'd rather a movie budget that took the material seriously.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 09:32:52 PM

Just caught the first two episodes and really like this.  It has an early seasons Smallville vibe, which is good enough for me.    Bring on the meteor rock/particle accelerator freaks!

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 08:15:03 PM

I thought the villain in the 3rd episode would be  but it turned into . Still a good episode. I'm happy to see that the ratings for this show are even with Agents of SHIELD, which is on a more prominent network and has a bigger marketing budget.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 11:49:34 AM

I prefer Marvel characters to DC, but they're doing a real good job so far.  I wish they'd folded Arrow and Flash into the cinematic stuff and used it as a guide...

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 10:17:46 AM

Flash is great for what it is.  It's about as much of a cartoon-live action transition you can get.  Yes it's cheesy in the way smallville was but you get the direct payoff of the flash actually being The Flash, rather than dicking around with teen drama and superman cockteases.

Sure villains somehow turn to mist and back along with their clothes but this shows slogan should be "Fuck reality, we're having fun" and for this show it works.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 10:46:55 AM

The more "realism" they tried to add to this, the less fun it would be. I'm all for a somewhat naturalistic take on superheroes, even taking a mechanistic approach to how things work if needed, but really - it's goddamn superheroes. The more of that idiotic minutiae a writer gets bogged down in, the less interesting it becomes. Flash wears a special costume that protects him from friction or the "Speed Force" keeps him frictionless - tell it to me once, then move on. It shouldn't really be that important if you are trying to tell a story about people as opposed to a lecture on "how super powers would work."

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 04:15:33 PM

The more "realism" they tried to add to this, the less fun it would be. I'm all for a somewhat naturalistic take on superheroes, even taking a mechanistic approach to how things work if needed, but really - it's goddamn superheroes. The more of that idiotic minutiae a writer gets bogged down in, the less interesting it becomes. Flash wears a special costume that protects him from friction or the "Speed Force" keeps him frictionless - tell it to me once, then move on. It shouldn't really be that important if you are trying to tell a story about people as opposed to a lecture on "how super powers would work."
100% right. 

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 04:26:37 PM

Agreed. I like the characters too, as they're fun and not as heavy. Wasn't much a fan of the drama around the fiancee and heroic death stuff. But then, comic book show... is he really dead? dun dun duuuunnnnn.

Good to see Felicity coming next week, and in particular how the two shows work together. They may not have figured out the movies consistently, but if they don't screw this up, they could spin up a third hero series. I'd rather not see a JLA movie for awhile though, not until they figure out what their groove on the movie side.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 05:34:47 PM

Confirmed that Grodd will be on this season of Flash.   awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 10:40:16 PM

Agreed. I like the characters too, as they're fun and not as heavy. Wasn't much a fan of the drama around the fiancee and heroic death stuff. But then, comic book show... is he really dead? dun dun duuuunnnnn.

You do know that Ronnie Raymond becomes Firestorm in the comics as well as on the show. Because that's who he is. Essentially, if you see someone on this show, chances are they will become a super hero, super villain or be related or married to one given enough time.

Also, cannot wait for GRODD!!!!!!

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 07:13:38 PM

I kinda figured he's become something, but I am ok with learning at the pace the show wants to tell me. In fact, this is my biggest problem with Gotham. I know just enough about the lore that all the build up to all what the characters will eventually become just seems too slow and tedious.

In Flash and Arrow, my ignorance of comic books is bliss smiley

Also just remembered something else: was her and his debates about honeymooning in Tahiti a dig at Agents of Shield?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 07:22:07 PM

Given how well so much of this show has been handled, I am VERY curious to see Grodd and Firestorm.  Especially Firestorm.  That is a hard nut to bring to TV.  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:48:58 PM by jgsugden »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 10:18:59 AM

CAPTAIN COLD!!!! And the start of the Rogue's Gallery!

Fuck yeah.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 09:31:02 PM

As usual Smoak is awesome. Thought this episode was ok otherwise, not awesome. But I suspect "awesome" is directly related to level of awareness in the easter eggs smiley

Any idea if this is on the bubble ratings-wise? Any idea if that means anything here? Like, this feels like the kind of show that needs to be successful for DC and therefore won't be governed by the same decisions and timing as, say, Almost Human.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 09:52:22 PM

Flash already got picked up for a full season.  It's getting a little bit better ratings than Arrow atm.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 10:58:14 PM

I posted earlier that it got ratings comparable to Agents of SHIELD, which is on a bigger network that is more widely available. That's good ratings for a CW show.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 08:01:53 AM

The good news about this being on the CW is that the ratings needed to survive are nowhere near what are needed on ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.... The show seems to be on path for at least a Vampire Diaries (5+ seasons)like run, if not a Supernatural (10+ seasons) like run. 

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 08:10:56 AM

Ah awesome. So you're saying there's a chance /jimcarrey smiley
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 02, 2014, 09:58:53 AM

Ah awesome. So you're saying there's a chance /jimcarrey smiley
Unless the show takes a huge dive in quality, DC sabotages it to avoid confusion with the screen Flash, or the CW as a network takes a huge step forward and raises their standards considerably, I will be shocked if Arrow and Flash do not reach 7 seasons each. 

My bet is that we'll see Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Green Lantern and many other DC heroes in this continuity (joining Arrow, Flash, Huntress, Firestorm, Suicide Squad, Atom, etc...), even if they do not get their own series - and when Arrow goes, they'll at least look at replacing it with another DC series in the same continuity. 

I think they'd be smart to establish that there is a Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc... in this world, even if we never see them.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 02:08:28 PM

That pilot didn't suck.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 02:17:03 PM

No, it didn't. And it gets better. The last episode was Plastique and though her acting is a bit wooden, the episode advances the story pretty good. I think I've gone all fanbois over this show. It may easily be my favorite thing to watch right now.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 03:22:58 PM

My favorite part about the show is they somehow transported Green from Law and Order into the DC TV universe. It's like, virtually the same character and it's great.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 08:32:01 AM

My favorite part about the show is they somehow transported Green from Law and Order into the DC TV universe. It's like, virtually the same character and it's great.

I know it adds a lot because everybody is so familiar with him doing basically the same role that even my mom enjoys it.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 03:02:05 PM

The more "realism" they tried to add to this, the less fun it would be. I'm all for a somewhat naturalistic take on superheroes, even taking a mechanistic approach to how things work if needed, but really - it's goddamn superheroes. The more of that idiotic minutiae a writer gets bogged down in, the less interesting it becomes
Counterpoint:

I explicitly do not recommend that anybody read the rest of this web serial because it's not very good... I gave up before I got very far, and I regret how far I got. Regardless, this early chapter is my favorite fantasy description of the sort of bullshit that speedsters do when they interact (even slightly) with physics.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 08:47:29 AM

The tricky thing with this show is that they're going with the happy, upbeat, basically nice-guy Barry Allen, as they should. But that means they need a straw to stir the drink. In the history of the comic character, there's never really been anything like that in Barry's life--his Rogues and his powers were the main thing that kept it interesting. They introduced some marital tension later in Barry's relationship with Iris but even that was kind of average suburban white-guy marital tension--Iris was never really a distinctive personality in her own right, just slightly shrewish when they needed to spice Barry's life. (There was a strange mini-arc around the same time where Barry was having repressed groinal feelings whenever he was around Zatanna in the Justice League).

The show has solved that problem pretty brilliantly with Harrison Wells. Not only is it difficult to decide exactly who he is or what his game is, he's being played so well by Cavanaugh that they're almost going to have to find a way to keep him in the frame. He's the show's Felicity.

The other STAR characters are awful, and Iris is pretty much this show's Laurel--almost unbearable at times.

I'm trying to think of a twist that will keep the show interesting after they pull whatever trigger they're working up to. I hope they're thinking about it too.

---------------

Lotta Easter Eggs in the last episode, by the way: by Harrison Wells' own count, his machine may have powered up a good slice of the Justice League and the Justice Society--I heard the civilian IDs of Elongated Man, Nuklon/Atom Smasher, Damage, Fire, and Amazing Man, as well as, once again, Firestorm. Only the first person Wells' listed as a casualty wasn't a recognizable name. I doubt they can actually introduce Elongated Man--the effects on that are really hard to pull off. Damage you'd have to play as a villain, and Atom Smasher is mostly interesting only as a legacy hero. Amazing Man, well, if SHIELD can have someone with that powerset, so can this show.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 09:05:51 AM

Yeah, I recognized a few of those Easter Egg names but not all of them. Elongated Man wouldn't be that hard to pull off... hell, the Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie did it respectably considering they spent nothing on it and merely did camera tricks. Can't be any harder to pull off than Firestorm will be.

I disagree about Iris - no one is as annoying as Laurel. Also, Iris is MUCH hotter. I think they've actually done a better job with the supporting cast on Flash than they have on Arrow. There's nobody on the cast I want to nut punch the minute I see them (see the aforementioned Laurel).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Flash  
Jump to: