Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2014-2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2014-2015  (Read 86469 times)
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: June 27, 2015, 10:12:04 PM

I think the Avs really improved themselves as well.   The soderberg contract was an overpayment but Zaderov is going to be a heck of a pickup for them.   Girgorenko has some serious talent as well.  I look to the Avs contending for a playoff spot this year and I don't say that lightly.   Winners of the draft... Buffalo (they are going to be scary good), Edmonton (how about that), and Calgary.  Things are looking up in Alberta.  Losers... Boston, Boston, and Boston.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #316 on: June 27, 2015, 11:21:58 PM

So, the Flyers are doing their part to keep hockey in the desert.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #317 on: July 01, 2015, 12:00:19 PM

As a Pittsburgher and a namesake, someone tell me how I should feel about getting Phil Kessel.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: July 01, 2015, 12:29:32 PM

Fat.

Boston takes Jones who they got for Lucic and trades to San Jose for a first rounder. So they got the same number of first rounders for Lucic as they did Hamilton.  swamp poop

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: July 01, 2015, 12:31:41 PM

Phil the Thrill Kessel you mean.  why so serious?

He'll be fine on the Penguins, where he won't be expected to be the star of team. He's a solid, if utterly one dimensional goal scorer. He goes down the wing, then shoots. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have no idea what you gave up for him though.

-edit- forgot a G

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: July 01, 2015, 12:52:45 PM

Fat.

Boston takes Jones who they got for Lucic and trades to San Jose for a first rounder. So they got the same number of first rounders for Lucic as they did Hamilton.  swamp poop

Actually.. Hamilton got them a 2015 1st rounder, and 2 2015 2nd rounders. Lucic got them 1 2015 1st rounder, prospect Colin Miller and Martin Jones -- who got them prospect Sean Kuraly and a 2016 1st rounder. So they got a better return for Lucic than they did for Hamilton... which is bat-shit crazy.

Kessel trade is.. interesting. Big thing is I expected they would have to retain a larger amount of salary than 1.2-1.25 mil/year. The first rounder they got is lotto protected, as well, so I actually think Toronto may have lost the trade.. but they are free of Kessel now.

Calgary had another nice day.. although they overpaid Frolik (had to, bidding war) and Ramo (by at least 1-1.5 mil/year). Edmonton also (thankfully) had a good day. I was expecting Sekera to cost closer to 6 million. Term is a touch worrisome, but he's only 29 so it shouldn't be too bad. Now, however, Edmonton needs to find a way to shed themselves of Nikitin or Ference (and the latter has a NTC and doesn't want to leave).
WayAbvPar

Reply #321 on: July 01, 2015, 01:53:09 PM

Fuck Jim Benning.
Fuck Trevor Linden.
Fuck the Aquilinis.

I am fucking done with the Canucks. What a fucking sorrowful sack of sperm whale spunk. Fuck this team to fucking death.

NHL please give Seattle a team so I can forget these fucking shitheads ever existed TIA.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: July 01, 2015, 01:57:24 PM

If Phil finds chemistry with Crosby and/or Malkin it will be dynamite, they will be set offensively and can focus more on their D and bottom 6 (and praying MAF doesn't muff up a playoff series).

Solid trade by Bergevin to get Kassian. Prust was a pretty expensive 4th liner, he was a good signing back when the Habs' 4th line sucked a few years ago but now with Weise-Mitchell-Flynn signed for next season he was a bit redundant. Those 3 guys all have a bit more scoring potential than Prust too. Great team guy but he just isn't quite skilled enough or have the hockey IQ to keep up with more dynamic NHL offensive play so he was always a step behind the play when he was in the top 9. Kassian fits more into the top 9 and brings the physical element too so Prust's loss in that department is a wash. I don't know much about Vancouver's situation but I guess they wanted an upgrade for their 4th line? Prust will provide veteran leadership and physical play there.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: July 01, 2015, 01:59:36 PM

Like the Greene signing. Could be a great fit in Detroit, they needed some skill back there, and their structure should help him keep his game tight. Just needs to stay healthy but I guess that's why he couldn't get more than 3 years.
WayAbvPar

Reply #324 on: July 01, 2015, 02:02:03 PM

Vancouver's situation is that they are being run by Tommy Boy's dumber brother.

Do you see that vaguely quizzical look in his eyes? That isn't an accident of the timing on the photo. He is perpetually perplexed and confused.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #325 on: July 01, 2015, 10:28:11 PM

PIT trading for more offense, when offense isn't there problem is...pretty funny.

Have fun putting the rest of that team together with so much cash wrapped up in a couple of players. Also, loldefense.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: July 02, 2015, 06:55:20 PM

PIT trading for more offense, when offense isn't there problem is...pretty funny.

Have fun putting the rest of that team together with so much cash wrapped up in a couple of players. Also, loldefense.

Well, they've had a problem with someone other than Crosby and Malkin scoring, so adding Kessel gains them more overall offensive depth.  But yeah, their defence is shit.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #327 on: July 03, 2015, 06:55:50 AM

If Phil finds chemistry with Crosby and/or Malkin it will be dynamite, they will be set offensively and can focus more on their D and bottom 6 (and praying MAF doesn't muff up a playoff series).

Solid trade by Bergevin to get Kassian. Prust was a pretty expensive 4th liner, he was a good signing back when the Habs' 4th line sucked a few years ago but now with Weise-Mitchell-Flynn signed for next season he was a bit redundant. Those 3 guys all have a bit more scoring potential than Prust too. Great team guy but he just isn't quite skilled enough or have the hockey IQ to keep up with more dynamic NHL offensive play so he was always a step behind the play when he was in the top 9. Kassian fits more into the top 9 and brings the physical element too so Prust's loss in that department is a wash. I don't know much about Vancouver's situation but I guess they wanted an upgrade for their 4th line? Prust will provide veteran leadership and physical play there.

You will very quickly learn why it is you got Kassian for so little...
Typical Kassian season:

- start on the 1st line, score a decent number of gaols but have a +/- of minus 9 billion
- 3 months of floating around on the third line, scores 3 goals.
- coach tells him to play more physical!
- he throws three bodychecks before either hurting himself or doing something dumb and getting suspended
- repeat the following year

He's one of those guys with "potential" we've been waiting to see "get it" for years. Who knows, maybe he'll find something there. He's the epitome of a guy who looks like a power forward. I emphasize looks like.
It all comes full circle though - the guy we traded away to get him was waived last week.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: July 03, 2015, 07:18:36 AM

Benning/Linden are just cleaning house.

The reality is that all the players we have given up were not gonna do anything for us. Seriously, think about it.

Lack, while likeable is an average goalie. There are tons of those out there and are pretty easily attainable.
Bieksa, average d man who is slowing down and will be completely irrelevant by the time the Canucks are.
Kassian was/is shit, Buffalo knew it when they gave him to us. After at least 4 different coaches, he could still never make an impression and get decent ice time. That has to tell you something.

Could we have gotten a better return for these guys? Maybe, but I'm pretty sure it would not have been much better at all and it would never have been anything that was going drastically alter this teams chances.

Other than the few young prospects; Horvat, Virtanen, Shinakaruk, Gaunce, the Canucks cupboard was pretty bare.
We could be looking at a top 10 pick this coming year which is not a bad thing, we will also have much more cap space going in to free agency next year and there will be a much better list of players available then.

Am I saying that Benning/Linden are doing a great job? No, but it's not nearly as bad as everyone thinks.

I would love to hear what all these wanna be GM's (not necessarily anyone on this board, but seeing them all over other forums) would have done. Kept Lack like he will some how be our saviour??? How about Bieksa, maybe we should have traded him for Toews!

Bottom line is the team loaded up for a run and then missed their chance against Boston. Now we are paying the price.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: July 03, 2015, 08:28:48 AM

You will very quickly learn why it is you got Kassian for so little...
Typical Kassian season:

- start on the 1st line, score a decent number of gaols but have a +/- of minus 9 billion
- 3 months of floating around on the third line, scores 3 goals.
- coach tells him to play more physical!
- he throws three bodychecks before either hurting himself or doing something dumb and getting suspended
- repeat the following year

He's one of those guys with "potential" we've been waiting to see "get it" for years. Who knows, maybe he'll find something there. He's the epitome of a guy who looks like a power forward. I emphasize looks like.
It all comes full circle though - the guy we traded away to get him was waived last week.

Habs fans will love him, some of them still want the team to get the Kostitsyn brothers (similar profile, lotsa talent, vodka pickled brains) back. Others think Lars Eller should be our 1st line centre even though in 5 seasons he hasn't cracked 30 points (...BUT THE POTENTIAL), and regularly goes on 20 game scoreless slumps.

Even if Kassian can only put in 30-40 points he's still an upgrade to the top 9 over Prust, who like I said is a fine 4th liner but was behind the play in the top 9 with better offensive players.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:33:46 AM by Speedy Cerviche »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #330 on: July 23, 2015, 02:56:19 PM

Toronto just hired Lou Lamoriello to be their GM.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: July 23, 2015, 03:23:07 PM

Paying the big bucks to hire hall of fame GM to keep the fans optimistic. Reality is they still have a crappy team and are just starting a rebuild where they are basically praying draft picks become impact NHLers. Could take another 5-10 years before they are competitive, nothing guaranteed with prospects just look at teams like Florida and Atlanta/Winnipeg who spent a long time drafting top 10 and not getting anywhere.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2014-2015  
Jump to: