Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:50:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2014-2015 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NHL 2014-2015  (Read 87172 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #245 on: April 19, 2015, 01:07:18 PM

Edmonton getting the #1 pick was about the 4th worst scenario AFAIK. I would have never stopped vomiting if LA or Boston got it, and Toronto is another shitshow that would have eaten the kid alive (although it would have been amusing to watch in a car crash sort of way). I was hoping Columbus or Florida would have won it...they are on the verge of being good and McDavid would be a big boost.

That being said- I can't WAIT for VAN/CGY game 3 tonight. The end of game 2 was a lot of fun. Also fuck Bob Hartley. Torts is still technically on the Vancouver payroll...they should send him to the locker room to sort shit out.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: April 19, 2015, 03:02:20 PM

I don't get the outrage, like Oilers fans just stole something. They're still a pretty crappy team, and the fans have endured a decade of misery. Some people don't realize how tough that is. That's what the draft is supposed to do, give the crappiest teams a chance to get back into contention.

People don't care that a crappy team got a good player - it's that EDM now has received 4 #1 draft picks in the last six years.

They've had their chance to get back into contention.

Exactly.  The same people are in charge with the same owner.  The Oilers have been a dumpster fire ever since they last won the cup in 1990.  25 years of shit hockey and counting.  The Flames haven't been much better, either.  Both of them got lucky making it to the Cup finals between 2004-2006, which tricked both team's fans and management into thinking they were THIS close to being cup contenders when in reality neither team was even remotely close.  At least the Flames woke up from their dream and have been taking steps to improve the team, with great results so far.  The Oilers..they're still in La La land.  If only they had a goalie.  If only the coaching was better.  If only more free agents were signed.  The Oilers have had too many of players that are too similar for too long.  Small, skilled forwards that lack physicality and grit, defencemen that are slow defensive liabilities that lack offensive ability and goalies that are, at best, back ups or injury call ups.  When they do draft McDavid, they should seriously consider trading guys like Eberle and Yakupov for a goalie (good luck with that) or some half decent defencemen.  Might want to think about Hall, too, because that guy is a China doll.  Hard to see his talent when he's always hurt.  As for Ference and Nikitin, they'd be lucky to get a 6th rounder for both of them.

And that's why it's a shame Connor McDavid will be an Oiler.  I would have rather seen him go to Boston than Edmonton. ACK! 

Still better than the Leafs getting him, though. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: April 19, 2015, 06:40:26 PM

If we are playing the 'whose team has been shittier for longer game' I'm pretty sure I win.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: April 19, 2015, 07:49:12 PM

The worst part about all this, apart from McDavid wasting away in Edmonton, is that it will likely save the the jobs of Lowe, MacTavish and the rest of the Glory Years Gang.  They'll crow that their plan was working all along and fans just needed to be patient.  This keeps the worst management group in the NHL afloat for years to come.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: April 20, 2015, 07:15:42 AM

They weren't leaving anyway, they've been BFFs with the owner for like 35 years. It's a clubhouse not a seriously run organization.

McDavid probably being overhyped anyway, just like MacKinnon, Tavares & Stamkos were, as the next Crosby/Gretzky.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: April 20, 2015, 08:23:16 AM

That being said- I can't WAIT for VAN/CGY game 3 tonight. The end of game 2 was a lot of fun. Also fuck Bob Hartley. Torts is still technically on the Vancouver payroll...they should send him to the locker room to sort shit out.

That was an insanely fun game to be at. My next game, if needed, will be game 6 on Saturday unless some tickets magically fall into my lap. Ferland is a freighttrain out there and get used to Bennett scoring goals from the doorstep like that. It's so nice to actually feel some hatred for a team again, so thanks Vancouver.

Gaudreau has been hit more this series than he got hit all season. Will be interesting to see if he can hold up.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: April 20, 2015, 09:44:39 AM

I say 5 games just because I envision a scenario where if the Sens lose game 1 the nerves/moral deflation effect could kick in game 2. They could go back to Ottawa in full panic game 3 if they're down 2-0, Hamburgler out, Anderson in, and I don't think that is going to improve things. If that scenario doesn't happen, and the Sens split it in Montreal, I see it going probably to 7 games where at that point anything can happen in a game 7.

Welp, you called it.  Pretty much all the reasons mentioned before.

In other news...how nauseating the Oilers win the draft lottery.  But Sabres need to stop acting all butthurt like they got robbed.  At least the Leafs didn't win it.

@WayAbvPar - You always want Tortorella coaching in the NHL, but never your favourite team.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:48:47 AM by Special J »
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: April 20, 2015, 11:15:17 AM

Anderson actually played a lot better than I expected, until he didn't. But he did give the Sens a solid chance to win, just couldn't get another one past Carey although they came close. Interesting game last night, you see that a lot in hockey where a more intense team loses to a more steady one after they fail to break them early in a game. The Sens threw everything at the Habs last night in period 1 (to be expected) and I think were hoping for more than one goal; They needed the Habs to crumble emotionally. They came into the 2nd a bit deflated while the Habs had turned their game up a notch. In my own beer league we just won our championship with a similar team that produced a lot of similar outcomes. Great goaltending, and then a steady bunch that would often have to weather first period storms from teams with better top end talent buzzing us, but as long as we defend well and kept them to outside, by mid-game we would get to work with consistent, efficient play that would eventually break through while they no longer had answers. It's kind of a natural rhythm in the sport.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: April 21, 2015, 11:26:32 AM

I'm actually kind of a Ducks fan, but it was painful to watch the Jets blow that game with 2 mins left last night.
WayAbvPar

Reply #254 on: April 21, 2015, 11:33:34 AM

I would love to see Torts in Toronto. Since I doubt he wants to coach in Canada again, maybe he can take over the Flyers? That would be hysterical as well.

I think the winner of Game 4 tonight (VAN/CGY) wins the series.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #255 on: April 21, 2015, 07:53:41 PM

God please no Torts - I think the Flyers are gunning for McClennan.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: April 22, 2015, 07:24:18 AM

Surprisingly boring Canucks - Flames game last night. Calgary did play very solid D though.
WayAbvPar

Reply #257 on: April 22, 2015, 10:10:13 AM

Surprisingly boring Canucks - Flames game last night. Calgary did play very solid D though.

It was dull as shit. Canucks are just sleepwalking through this series. Good thing they signed Sbisa to 3 more years!  Argh!

They are utterly and completely fucked. I hope the twins demand a trade to FLA and win a Cup. They deserve one; the Canucks management/ownership do not.

WayAbvPar

Reply #258 on: April 25, 2015, 09:53:53 PM

Got  to the bar at 6:30.  Preds Hawks on the big screen.  Watch for a bit,  spots open up at the bar,  so we move.  I am wearing a Canucks Jersey,  so the guy next to me says "Canucks look good,  huh?".  I answer in the negative,  since they are down 3-2 in the series.  We chat for a moment, and he points out the game on a smaller screen... Canucks up 3-0!

I should have left then.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: April 26, 2015, 07:33:35 AM

Got  to the bar at 6:30.  Preds Hawks on the big screen.  Watch for a bit,  spots open up at the bar,  so we move.  I am wearing a Canucks Jersey,  so the guy next to me says "Canucks look good,  huh?".  I answer in the negative,  since they are down 3-2 in the series.  We chat for a moment, and he points out the game on a smaller screen... Canucks up 3-0!

I should have left then.

Yeah that was a pretty disappointing game for nucks fans...I was texting my cousin from vancouver some positive comments during game, should've held up. This Calgary 1st line seems unstoppable though, but I guess we'll see next round if that was a vancouver can't defend thing, or they truly are
WayAbvPar

Reply #260 on: April 26, 2015, 10:49:30 AM

They were completely out-coached. Willie Desjardins is a retard.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: April 26, 2015, 05:33:58 PM

Holy shit that game was incredible to be at - my voice is STILL shot from yelling.

Probably one of the very best sporting events I have ever seen live.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
WayAbvPar

Reply #262 on: April 26, 2015, 05:54:39 PM

Get used to the feeling of beating the Canucks. It is going to happen a lot in the next few years.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #263 on: April 27, 2015, 07:57:50 AM

Congrats to the Flames, it was a really entertaining series. Can't remember the last time I watched the Canucks lose a series and I didn't feel it was the refs' fault - so that was refreshing. Vancouver's D is getting old and is generally slow of foot - Calgary took big time advantage of that. Never seen a team fore-check that intensely and not get consistently burned on it. We just weren't moving the puck fast enough to counter it. Expect to see a big emphasis on rebuilding our D for the next few years, which will be tough since all our top prospects are forwards.

Dear Boston - that's how you play tough and aggressive without playing like assholes.

Sadly, I have a feeling Anaheim is going to eat the Flames for lunch.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: May 01, 2015, 08:33:39 AM

Pretty hilarious ending to Rangers-Caps game last night... I particularly like Vignault throwing a hissy fit after over the hit that lead to goal, acting like it was some kind of  outrageous boarding hit (I didn't think so, and I am someone who totally thought Kronwall deserved that suspension), then he puts his 4th line on with 1 second left to start a fight (Hartley was fined for less blatant gooning, will Vignault?).
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: May 02, 2015, 03:04:29 PM

Congrats to the Flames, it was a really entertaining series. Can't remember the last time I watched the Canucks lose a series and I didn't feel it was the refs' fault - so that was refreshing. Vancouver's D is getting old and is generally slow of foot - Calgary took big time advantage of that. Never seen a team fore-check that intensely and not get consistently burned on it. We just weren't moving the puck fast enough to counter it. Expect to see a big emphasis on rebuilding our D for the next few years, which will be tough since all our top prospects are forwards.

Dear Boston - that's how you play tough and aggressive without playing like assholes.

The Flames haven't won in Anaheim in like 10 years.  I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Ducks in 4...maaaaybe 5.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: May 16, 2015, 01:04:13 PM

Well, Connor McDavid's junior career is over after Erie lost the OHL final to Oshawa in 5 games with a 6-2 loss last night.  It's a good way to transition himself to the NHL seeing as how he's going to lose like that quite a bit once he's drafted by the Oilers. awesome, for real
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: May 16, 2015, 01:05:05 PM

The Flames haven't won in Anaheim in like 10 years.  I don't see that changing anytime soon.  Ducks in 4...maaaaybe 5.

Oh, and called it. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: May 16, 2015, 05:02:00 PM

I have a feeling the Blackhawks are going to win this again. Well the Canadiens are out, that's all that matters. :D

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: May 16, 2015, 09:06:45 PM

I think the Ducks have a slight edge but should be close barring a goaltender collapse, possible for both teams.

Getzlaf - Perry are the best players, I have seen Getz put the whole the whole team on his shoulders and carry them so many times, never bet against that guy. Ducks have better depth this year though so he shouldn't need too.

Hawks top 6 is better than ducks, but Ducks overall have 4 better lines. I lean advantage to depth.

Seabrooke-Keith are best D pairing, but Ducks have solid more talent overall in D corps, spread around all 3 pairings.

Anderson and Crawford is a draw, both can be great, but have also both had dubious moments.

In the east, Tampa did not impress me at all vs the Habs. They are pretty much all the Johnson line at the moment, and the Rangers have better checkers than the Canadiens did. The D can't handle forchecking and cycling very well, which the Rangers are also good at. Bishop is shaky, he's really had a horseshoe up his butt so far through the whole playoffs, stats look better than his performance when you watch him. Wouldn't bank on him/
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #270 on: May 17, 2015, 10:18:50 AM

I'm counting on a CHI/NYR final, with CHI taking it all.

The fact that the Flyers would get an additional 2nd round pick in next year's draft if CHI gets to the finals MIGHT have something to do with my preferences.  why so serious?

EDIT: Also, Kimmo!  cry

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: May 19, 2015, 11:00:40 PM

Looks like Edmonton might finally be turning the ship around.  With the #1 pick and (presumably) Connor McDavid, Peter Chiarelli as GM and now Todd McLellan as head coach, the shit show that is the Oilers could soon be coming to an end.
WayAbvPar

Reply #272 on: May 20, 2015, 06:25:33 AM

Just in time for the Canucks to sink to the bottom of the Pacific in their place.  Argh!

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #273 on: May 20, 2015, 09:13:01 AM

Looks like Edmonton might finally be turning the ship around.  With the #1 pick and (presumably) Connor McDavid, Peter Chiarelli as GM and now Todd McLellan as head coach, the shit show that is the Oilers could soon be coming to an end.

Given they had the first pick in '10-'12... hopefully the coaching change will have some effect.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: May 20, 2015, 10:51:19 AM

Wasn't that guy they replaced Eakins with doing a decent job? The winning % improved from like .200 to over .400 basically overnight.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: May 20, 2015, 11:14:50 AM

haha Babcock hired by Toronto, 50$ million, 8 year contract. He's in for a rough ride
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #276 on: May 20, 2015, 01:10:37 PM

Edmonton getting McDavid is a big change for the team. In regards to our past first overalls; they simply aren't on the same level. In a way, the Oilers tanked at the worst time, when first overalls gave you great, but not fantastic players. Hall is an elite level player but has injury issues. RNH will likely peak as a Toews-lite, Yakupov.. could be an elite first shot scorer.. or he could be a decent second liner. None of them are a Stamkos, or Ovie, or... Now the Oilers have one of those (potentially).

As for coaching.. Eakins had a pts % of 0.409 in his first year, and was 0.306 in his second year when he got fired. He wasn't as bad as everyone (including myself) said, as his advanced stats were actually around 19-25th in the league before the team collapsed under the weight of horrendous goaltending. Special teams and goaltending got Eakins fired. That said, I'm glad he was fired (he wasn't that good of a coach, just not as bad as he's been pegged, and from the moment he was hired I said he was the 'wrong' coach for a team like the Oilers), especially now that we have McLellan as coach.

Nelson, after he was left alone on the bench and MacT went back upstairs, went 0.446. A lot of that was based on worse advanced stats than Eakins, but notably improved special teams and slightly better goaltending. However, most notably, he got the team playing instead of death marching. The players had more fun and played harder under Nelson. He fixed Lander (a player long fucked over by the organization), righted the ship on Yakupov, and had started to mend the fences with Marincin (after he had been banished to the AHL for, basically, not doing as he was told in the off-season), and had even gotten better results out of defensive black holes such as Ference and Schultz.

But he's not Babcock/McLellan. Fans here are hopeful, however, that he stays on somehow as an assistant coach, however unlikely as that is.

Toronto getting Babcock is interesting. Clear win for the team as they get a fantastic coach. However.. that's a signing that could back-fire in a year or two -- especially with the media clusterfuck that is Toronto hockey. With Babcock's history with media in a place like Detroit.. it could be quite hilarious when he, essentially, tells the reporters in Toronto that they don't matter and that he doesn't give a flying fuck about them or what they say. It also has the potential to backfire depending on how much of a say he's been contractually given in how the team is run. He had a lot of say for a coach in Detroit, but that was with a GM he was close friends with and had a good working relationship with.

Good day for the Leafs.. but could be a disaster down the road off the ice.

Most amusing; Buffalo left at the altar again. First with the lotto, now with Babcock. That GM needs a lucky tie or something.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: May 21, 2015, 03:43:39 PM

Mike Babcock isn't head coach for even 24 hrs and he's already drinking the Toronto kool aid by saying the Leafs are "Canada's team". Facepalm

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/mike-babcock-s-canada-s-team-comment-upsets-fans-1.3082481
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: May 21, 2015, 04:39:42 PM

When did they get demoted from Hockey Mecca?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: May 21, 2015, 04:43:04 PM

When did they get demoted from Hockey Mecca?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: NHL 2014-2015  
Jump to: