Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:13:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Twin Peaks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 17267 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: October 06, 2014, 05:21:10 PM

Twin Peaks is returning as a 9 episode miniseries on Showtime in 2016. Lynch and Frost are going to write all the episodes, and Lynch is going to direct all of them as well. Sounds like MacLachlan will be returning as well.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:55:49 PM

Skye's father is going to be in it?  awesome, for real

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:31:44 PM

Could be good, though I thought the movie wrapped up what needed to be said about the series and Agent Cooper.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 11:35:18 AM

It's been so long it's hard to remember.  Wasn't the movie a prequel to the series?

Over and out.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:44:28 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks:_Fire_Walk_with_Me

TL:Dr; yes it was a prequel. They also released a book, Laura Palmer's Diary, during the series run.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:24:23 PM

In the middle of the movie, Agent Cooper appeared to Laura Palmer in bed saying he was trapped in the Black Lodge and couldn't get out. That was all I needed to hear.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 02:47:15 PM

He's there at the end too when Laura is trapped in the Black Lodge and he puts an arm around her shoulder.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 06:11:14 PM

Twin Peaks is returning as a 9 episode miniseries on Showtime in 2016. Lynch and Frost are going to write all the episodes, and Lynch is going to direct all of them as well. Sounds like MacLachlan will be returning as well.

David Lynch has left the project (Showtime might keep going forward with it, though) :

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/twin-peaks-david-lych-leaves-as-director-1201466709/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 07:26:04 PM

DAMN IT!
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 08:08:14 PM

Fucking butthead. Don't announce all that shit and then walk away due to budget constraints with your No-Actual-Stars script. Dick.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 12:54:36 PM

What schild said. Total dick move.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 03:36:13 AM

So, two hour (first two episodes) premiere on Showtime May 21st, with episodes 3 and 4 available digitally right after, and then an episode a week after that (although I assume they'll be airing 3 and 4 on Showtime over the next two weeks before any new episodes come out). 18 episodes total all directed by Lynch and written by Lynch and Frost. A lot of the original cast appear to be returning as well as some new people like frequent Lynch collaborator Laura Dern.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 09:21:22 AM

So, two hour (first two episodes) premiere on Showtime May 21st, with episodes 3 and 4 available digitally right after, and then an episode a week after that (although I assume they'll be airing 3 and 4 on Showtime over the next two weeks before any new episodes come out). 18 episodes total all directed by Lynch and written by Lynch and Frost. A lot of the original cast appear to be returning as well as some new people like frequent Lynch collaborator Laura Dern.

What I find intriguing is that he said he's doing this as basically a long movie that is broken up into one hour chunks.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 01:45:42 PM

That does see like a David Lynch thing to do. A lot of Mulholland Drive was originally filmed as a pilot episode for a series, but you'd never really know it because I don't think he alters his style much regardless of what he's making.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 04:41:50 PM

Have I already predicted that this is going to be crap? Because it will be, and I tend to be that guy...
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 06:45:47 PM

We'll be sure to get you your "I called it first" medal if that ends up being the case.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 08:06:17 PM

We'll be sure to get you your "I called it first" medal if that ends up being the case.

I think Haem already hedged his bets in that regard, so I'd only be on the podium.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 07:45:56 AM

If Lynch is actually involved in all of it, it could be good. However, his last few movies have made me apoplectic with rage at the willful disregard for the idea of a coherent narrative so this could actually be 18-hours of self-indulgent pretentious wankery.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 07:53:54 AM

If Lynch is actually involved in all of it, it could be good. However, his last few movies have made me apoplectic with rage at the willful disregard for the idea of a coherent narrative so this could actually be 18-hours of self-indulgent pretentious wankery.

All I know is the original series was at its best when he was directly involved and when the network didn't interfere. "You need to reveal Laura Palmer's killer" anyone?

He may be like a lot of film makers who seem to succumb to their worst impulses as they age. George Lucas, Tim Burton and Ridley Scott I'm looking at you!

I do have some hope though because he has Mark Frost involved and those 2 worked on the series together. So if David Lynch goes too far off of the reservation I think Mark Frost will help pull him back. He seems to be the Gary Kurtz to David Lynch's George Lucas.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 08:20:52 AM

Pretty much the only thing going for this is the fact that it's Lynch doing it instead of it being just a rehash banking on nostalgia if it was done by someone else (and even if I don't always like Lynch at least he's competent and does it with his own style).
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 12:08:53 PM

Lynch, like Cronenberg, is so weirdly niche and distinct that his worse impulses aren't going to hurt him any more than his best ones do. His basic composition skills have improved as he's aged, and his iconoclastic weirdness has been there from the beginning. This will appeal to his fans while confusing and frustrating everybody else.

Just like anything else he's been involved in. Ever.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 12:00:57 AM

You can get coherent narratives anywhere. I can't think of too many other people who can construct a narrative like Lynch. While with Inland Empire I was maybe lost a lot more than with most of his work I don't think I'd call any of his stuff self-indulgent or pretentious. His movies aren't for everyone though and a lot of them require some work to really get something out of them.

That said he hasn't really done any narrative work other than shorts in the last decade, and Frost was partially responsible for the Fantiastic Four and Rise of the Silver Surfer screenplays, so there's absolutely reason to be skeptical about a follow up to a show from 25 years back.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 07:27:00 PM

Just a reminder, this starts tomorrow night.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 11:01:20 AM

I plan to watch this live.

My predictions:

I'm going to love it but be utterly confused and spend the next few days seeking out other interpretations of things like "Was the pie symbolic or just damn good pie."

Most of you will hate it or at least be dismissive. That's based mostly on, well, it's F13. Jaded dislike is the default state.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 11:33:52 AM

I loved the original. Like one of my favorite TV shows EVER.

I've been tempted to subscribe to Showtime just for this but I figure I'll wait it out and Netflix the whole thing.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 02:15:08 PM

I loved the original. Like one of my favorite TV shows EVER.

I've been tempted to subscribe to Showtime just for this but I figure I'll wait it out and Netflix the whole thing.

I added it to my Hulu sub. I figured $9 a month is a fair price so I don't have to avoid the internet until almost October.

I loved the original though as I told a friend it has some of the best TV I've ever seen and some of the worst. I recently download a survival guide that gives you an idea which episodes to skip if you want to do a rewatch because honestly, there are big chunks of season 2 that I find more or less unwatchable. I attached it to this post. Tastes may vary and such but if and when I do a rewatch I'll likely skip all the red and most of the yellow.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 03:59:37 PM

Rewatched Fire Walk With Me yesterday to get ready for this and started a free Showtime trial on Amazon today (will keep the sub from the duration of the show assuming it isn't just complete garbage).
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 06:37:58 PM

This is as bugfuck as always.

EDIT: After watching this and American Gods tonight I think I need therapy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:00:15 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 10:48:46 PM

I watched all 4 available episodes. It's rare for me to feel so many emotions when watching something. Tense, excited, nostalgic, scared, annoyed, sad...

I'm very curious where things go and my only complaint so far is that the next episode isn't available right now because I want to see

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 11:04:31 PM

Really tempted to watch 3 & 4, but then I'd have to wait 3 weeks to see a new episode.

This was really nostalgic for me. Just needed to be high and at the Twin Peaks party we always had at our house in college to complete the experience.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #30 on: May 21, 2017, 11:48:27 PM

I'm going to watch ep. 3 and 4 when I have tine because I figure it won't hurt to rewatch them over the next couple weeks anyway.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 07:52:04 AM

Really tempted to watch 3 & 4, but then I'd have to wait 3 weeks to see a new episode.

This was really nostalgic for me. Just needed to be high and at the Twin Peaks party we always had at our house in college to complete the experience.

Episode 5 comes on June 4th. So you'd have slightly less than 3 weeks. Also, revised spoiler speculation post-Episode 4.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 12:19:24 AM

Broke down and watched 3/4. Michael Cera, holy shit.

-H.L. Mencken
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 01:34:41 AM

Episode 5 comes on June 4th. So you'd have slightly less than 3 weeks. Also, revised spoiler speculation post-Episode 4.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 24, 2017, 08:40:11 PM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Twin Peaks  
Jump to: