Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:01:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Twin Peaks 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 17276 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 08:47:05 PM

Due to the nature of the show I feel like you could post a detailed description of everything the happens in each episode along with a selection of pictures and you wouldn't have spoiled anything.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 10:33:58 AM

Due to the nature of the show I feel like you could post a detailed description of everything the happens in each episode along with a selection of pictures and you wouldn't have spoiled anything.

Yes and no. There are certainly a lot of WTF? moments but in general the central storyline is fairly easy to follow with a central conflict now established as of Episode 4.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 07:03:46 PM

So, is it any good?

I find later Lynch stuff to be more of the weird side than the terrifying, which was much of his skill for me. Does this go either way?
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 01:26:54 PM

So, is it any good?

I find later Lynch stuff to be more of the weird side than the terrifying, which was much of his skill for me. Does this go either way?

I love it. YMMV.

It has its terrifying moments. It has its weird moments. It will make you uncomfortable as he holds shots arguably too long (I much prefer it over the ADHD type of film making we get now) and has people speak in sort of odd ways. (Which is more or less a Lynch trademark.)

It is also, as he said, an 18 hour movie chopped up into 1 hour segments. At this point we've seen the equivalent of around 15 minutes of a 2 hour movie. These first 4 hours have all been set up for what comes later but you can already see the central conflict being built up.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 05:30:55 PM

I love it, too, even though it goes far deeper into David Lynch's mind than I ever wanted to explore.  I'm here for the duration regardless of how much I want to run away.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 09:29:12 PM

Tonight's episode is maybe the most Lynchian thing ever.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 12:39:49 AM

That was pure garbage. I've been a fan of his since fucking Eraserhead and that episode was pure shit.  I'm actively mad that I spent an hour watching that.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 30, 2017, 07:29:56 AM

That was pure garbage. I've been a fan of his since fucking Eraserhead and that episode was pure shit.  I'm actively mad that I spent an hour watching that.

The episode is certainly divisive. I enjoyed it but it's not one I will rewatch when I eventually buy this series/movie on Blu Ray. It laid a lot of foundation and backstory, particularly if you've read Mark Frost's The Secret History of Twin Peaks.

I suspect the episode was mostly written by Frost as he is more into the backstory and the mystical side but Lynch definitely put his own spin on it in the directing. A lot of the shots went on for far too long but that is such a Lynch trademark I wasn't surprised by it and just sort of relaxed and let it take me.

I've seen this episode called an intermission in the series and I think that's pretty accurate. It was a (long) pause before we hit the last 10 episodes.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 30, 2017, 01:55:11 PM

I've mellowed from my initial reaction, but still think the execution could have been much better.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 30, 2017, 02:24:12 PM

I'm going to wait for the rest of the season to give the episode more context.  I didn't hate it, but it was uncomfortable to watch a lot of it for how dark it all was, near the end I was saying to my wife that I just want some colour back.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #45 on: June 30, 2017, 02:55:42 PM

As just sort of a Lynch thing I thought it was great. For people just looking for an episode of Twin Peaks, yeah I can get the frustration.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 01, 2017, 12:29:52 AM

I've enjoyed it so far. It's been very much a Lynch thing and not just pandering to Twin Peaks nostalgia like someone else might have been tempted to do (and the latest episode was a good example of that).
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #47 on: July 01, 2017, 06:13:17 PM

I need to watch this, never saw the original.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 12, 2017, 12:22:56 AM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 13, 2017, 11:56:14 AM

People have been going nuts finding hidden clues on this site like, for example, some map coordinates that lead to South Dakota.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 27, 2017, 09:02:03 PM

No idea if anyone is watching this, but tonight's episode was one of the funniest (and most awesome) things I've ever watched as a Peaks fan.

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #51 on: August 27, 2017, 09:04:07 PM

I have seen none of it except Fire Walk With Me, which made no fucking sense at all. I might binge the whole thing, original and new, once it is all done.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 27, 2017, 09:23:30 PM

No idea if anyone is watching this, but tonight's episode was one of the funniest (and most awesome) things I've ever watched as a Peaks fan.

I am and can't wait to see how it all pans out. While most people seem to be all about GoT I'm all about Peaks each week. This episode was great!

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #53 on: September 03, 2017, 04:45:37 PM

Final two episodes air tonight. It'll be interesting to see how coherently everything comes together.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 03, 2017, 05:18:07 PM

My prediction is: not very. But I don't really care.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 03, 2017, 10:41:59 PM

Heh, prediction correct.

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #56 on: September 03, 2017, 11:15:42 PM

It tied up a lot of things. Then it used its last episode to more or less set up another season that there currently aren't any plans to make which doesn't me bother me as much as it would if anyone other than Lynch had done it.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 04, 2017, 05:24:50 AM

Fuck that ending.

I was enjoying it all until the last episode.

It wasn't even the insanity of the original series ending, it was just unnecessary and frustrating.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 09:31:20 AM

Fuck that ending.

I was enjoying it all until the last episode.

It wasn't even the insanity of the original series ending, it was just unnecessary and frustrating.

The "real" events of the show stop at 2:53 pm in the Sheriff's office about halfway through Episode 17. The rest of that episode and episode 18 operate purely on dream logic and Cooper literally says "We're all living in a dream."

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 04, 2017, 11:08:42 AM

It was a good season and there were some great Lynch moments in it (though it's going to be a long while until I'll re-watch it).
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Twin Peaks  
Jump to: