Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 06:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 103948 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #175 on: October 07, 2014, 01:26:01 PM

1. My computer runs this flawlessly.
2. This is the most fun I've had since Demon's Souls with an action game.
3. Middle Earth fucking sucks.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #176 on: October 07, 2014, 01:59:32 PM

If WBPlay's extra skin had been the WB frog, I would be all about it.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: October 07, 2014, 02:24:27 PM

Welp, guess I'm picking this up on PC. Is your machine high-end, schild? Based on TotalBiscuit's review, the strength of the gameplay makes up for any lack of graphical splendor.
schild
Administrator

Reply #178 on: October 07, 2014, 02:41:29 PM

Game is actually gorgeous.

i7 870@ 2.93GHz
GeForce GTX 760 (4GB variant)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: October 07, 2014, 03:03:11 PM

Game is actually gorgeous.

Yes. Yes it is.

A few reviewers out there seem to be grasping at straws for something negative to say in a review by stating the game is visually "ho hum".  I'm running on full HD ultra textures and getting avg 103 fps (Radeon R9 290X 4GB) and there is simply nothing ho-hum to me about the visuals in this game. The *only* thing I have not liked so far is the default key mapping for the PC port.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
schild
Administrator

Reply #180 on: October 07, 2014, 03:04:44 PM

The only thing I don't like about the game is sometimes it's hard to see where you're looking if you're in wraith view at the edge of a tower. A small gripe, since I could easily drop halfway down the tower and do the same shit I'm already doing.

Well, that and the fact it's a fucking LOTR game. Goddamnit I can not get over that.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 07, 2014, 03:55:41 PM

The Tolkien estate thanks you for your patronage.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #182 on: October 07, 2014, 04:17:22 PM

The only thing I don't like about the game is sometimes it's hard to see where you're looking if you're in wraith view at the edge of a tower. A small gripe, since I could easily drop halfway down the tower and do the same shit I'm already doing.

Well, that and the fact it's a fucking LOTR game. Goddamnit I can not get over that.
Out of curiosity, why is this such an issue to you?  You've been raging against that fact all thread.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: October 07, 2014, 04:32:30 PM

schild requires a requisite level of rage in order to maintain power throughout the day. Hyper love fests have proven to be his undoing in the past (I Am Legend, Hellgate: London), and the later model schild is careful not to fall in to this trap (Demon's Souls is the exception that proves the rule).
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: October 07, 2014, 04:34:53 PM

It's too bad the name orcs must die was already taken.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #185 on: October 07, 2014, 04:39:55 PM

This is really good.  I don't mind the LOTRness, it beats some hack calling everything Orx or Dragyns and pretending they're being original.

I'm using a controller and everything's fine with that except for my aiming with the bow.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:41:33 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #186 on: October 07, 2014, 06:43:28 PM

Out of curiosity, why is this such an issue to you?  You've been raging against that fact all thread.
Because for every one good game we get from a license, it gives the license holders and publishers the idea that HEY, IT'S SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE IT'S LOTR and we get a run of absolutely shitty LOTR games.

No.

This game would've gotten 10s across the board had it been new IP. Guaranteed. It would've been praised as the second coming of Christ's Lord, Rockstar. Grand Theft Medieval is something everyone has wanted for fucking YEARS. So much so that people pretended Mount & Blade was a good game (no, fuckoff).

And finally, it wouldn't have had to be filled with LOTR tropes and they could've gone hog wild on cooler shit. They managed to make Middle Earth kind of cool here. The amount of emotion coming from these orcs is fantastic.

But at the end of the day, they're orcs. I hope someone lifts the Nemesis system and makes a vastly superior game with actual loot and shit.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #187 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:49 PM

If this game had a baby with Dead Rising(and removed all of the Japanese influenced bullshit), I'd never stop playing.  So yah, I guess loot or at least a wider variety of weapons and character visuals could improve it.

This could be one of those instances where a very good game turns into something completely fantastic as a sequel.  There's so much to build with here.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:50:13 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: October 07, 2014, 07:09:05 PM

I think i just got hit on by a gay orc.  Something "the friendly", when engaging he went "we don't have to fight, I'm not like those other orcs!"  and when he ran off "we are destined to meet again under different circumstances".

I am the .00000001428%
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: October 07, 2014, 07:18:16 PM

This could be one of those instances where a very good game turns into something completely fantastic as a sequel.  There's so much to build with here.

The positive reception not only from critics but from players could make this Monolith's Assassin's Creed.

Hopefully without an increasingly convoluted story to justify the mechanics.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: October 07, 2014, 07:46:22 PM

I think i just got hit on by a gay orc.  Something "the friendly", when engaging he went "we don't have to fight, I'm not like those other orcs!"  and when he ran off "we are destined to meet again under different circumstances".

Love it. Haven't heard that one yet.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: October 07, 2014, 07:55:36 PM

This game would've gotten 10s across the board had it been new IP. Guaranteed. It would've been praised as the second coming of Christ's Lord, Rockstar. Grand Theft Medieval is something everyone has wanted for fucking YEARS.

I think I see your point. The game "Styx: Master of Shadows" was released on Steam today. Half the price of SoM, it's a stealth/thief/AC/Arkham game but heavy on the stealthing from the little I've played so far.  AFAIK the IP is new, the goblin dude you play is a foul-mouthed little monster with no compunctions about stealth-murdering a librarian (he mutters to himself as part of your not-so-sublte tutorial, "jump on the carpet to land softly, especially when the fucker you're going to kill is twice your size").

If the graphics and animation were the caliber of SoM, and if the elf and human enemies who control the prison/vault the goblin is trying to escape from/into had a chain of command like the nemesis system, it would be hailed as you indicated Schild. Instead, while it's a competent game so far (hey -- they mapped crouch to "c" by default!) , the unknown IP and slightly less than AAA graphics may mean it won't get noticed at all.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #192 on: October 07, 2014, 08:02:31 PM

Those circumstances involve no pants.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #193 on: October 07, 2014, 08:36:33 PM

This game would've gotten 10s across the board had it been new IP. Guaranteed. It would've been praised as the second coming of Christ's Lord, Rockstar. Grand Theft Medieval is something everyone has wanted for fucking YEARS.

I think I see your point. The game "Styx: Master of Shadows" was released on Steam today. Half the price of SoM, it's a stealth/thief/AC/Arkham game but heavy on the stealthing from the little I've played so far.  AFAIK the IP is new, the goblin dude you play is a foul-mouthed little monster with no compunctions about stealth-murdering a librarian (he mutters to himself as part of your not-so-sublte tutorial, "jump on the carpet to land softly, especially when the fucker you're going to kill is twice your size").

If the graphics and animation were the caliber of SoM, and if the elf and human enemies who control the prison/vault the goblin is trying to escape from/into had a chain of command like the nemesis system, it would be hailed as you indicated Schild. Instead, while it's a competent game so far (hey -- they mapped crouch to "c" by default!) , the unknown IP and slightly less than AAA graphics may mean it won't get noticed at all.
Also, Styx was released by Focus. A company that is doomed to mediocrity forever.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #194 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47:20 PM

Dragyns

I may steal this for a band name.  Or possibly my firstborn.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #195 on: October 07, 2014, 09:10:05 PM

I think I see your point. The game "Styx: Master of Shadows" was released on Steam today. Half the price of SoM, it's a stealth/thief/AC/Arkham game but heavy on the stealthing from the little I've played so far.  AFAIK the IP is new, the goblin dude you play is a foul-mouthed little monster with no compunctions about stealth-murdering a librarian (he mutters to himself as part of your not-so-sublte tutorial, "jump on the carpet to land softly, especially when the fucker you're going to kill is twice your size").
Also, Styx was released by Focus. A company that is doomed to mediocrity forever.

And it was developed by Cyanide, which has a pretty poor track record as well.  They almost managed to screw up Blood Bowl with an incredibly shitty UI, among other things.

As it happens though, Styx is not a new IP.  It's a prequel to Cyanide's Of Orcs and Men from '12.  It might as well be new though considering how many people actually played that game.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: October 07, 2014, 10:16:45 PM

Out of curiosity, why is this such an issue to you?  You've been raging against that fact all thread.
Because for every one good game we get from a license, it gives the license holders and publishers the idea that HEY, IT'S SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE IT'S LOTR and we get a run of absolutely shitty LOTR games.

No.

This game would've gotten 10s across the board had it been new IP. Guaranteed. It would've been praised as the second coming of Christ's Lord, Rockstar. Grand Theft Medieval is something everyone has wanted for fucking YEARS. So much so that people pretended Mount & Blade was a good game (no, fuckoff).

And finally, it wouldn't have had to be filled with LOTR tropes and they could've gone hog wild on cooler shit. They managed to make Middle Earth kind of cool here. The amount of emotion coming from these orcs is fantastic.

But at the end of the day, they're orcs. I hope someone lifts the Nemesis system and makes a vastly superior game with actual loot and shit.

Your commitment to loot=better game knows no bounds. As long as it's not random Diablo crap with 500 different types of modifiers I'm all aboard this time, though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #197 on: October 07, 2014, 10:21:59 PM

Loot in this case is more of a Demon's Souls type of affair in which case "things that look neat as shit and have stats appropriate for different things in the game."

Not some random bullshit. I got really peeved when a dude became a captain and he had this kickass looking crossbow with skulls and shit shoved onto the pointy bits. And I'm sitting here with elf crap and Generic Sword With Bullshit Runes. I'd blame Tolkien but really this is a place where the designers could've taken some license. It doesn't help that most of the runes suck and that's the only "real" loot. Even some of the epic ones blow.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: October 07, 2014, 11:07:16 PM

Runes blow? Sorry i cant hear you over the sound of my +10 seconds to the sword "I win" button and another rune that makes it charge up 2x as fast.
schild
Administrator

Reply #199 on: October 07, 2014, 11:09:39 PM

I said "most." l2r.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: October 07, 2014, 11:14:46 PM

I have an inbuilt prejudice against LotR games, I just can't make myself care about playing in that world.  I got over it a little bit in LOTRO to try it but never really got into it mostly because of the world.

Maybe next steam sale I'll try this but I never even would have given this a second look except for all the buzz its getting.
schild
Administrator

Reply #201 on: October 07, 2014, 11:17:14 PM

I have an inbuilt prejudice against LotR games, I just can't make myself care about playing in that world.

As someone with more hatred for Tolkien than is even reasonable, let me just say: They took lemons and made fucking kickass ice cream.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #202 on: October 07, 2014, 11:20:37 PM

Clearly this needs a Star Wars version.  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #203 on: October 07, 2014, 11:25:26 PM

schild requires a requisite level of rage in order to maintain power throughout the day. Hyper love fests have proven to be his undoing in the past (I Am Legend, Hellgate: London), and the later model schild is careful not to fall in to this trap (Demon's Souls is the exception that proves the rule).

Hex.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #204 on: October 07, 2014, 11:27:16 PM

Given the way people are splerging over it, I think it's going to be a new reasonably commonplace feature in open world games.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #205 on: October 07, 2014, 11:29:38 PM

God-willing.

Shame I can't think of a current open-world game that could adopt the system that I'd want to play.

Except Pokemon.

Just sayin.

(Edit: Scratch that, Bethesda should shove this the FUCK into Fallout 4 so fast heads spin)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: October 08, 2014, 04:26:21 AM

I was hoping Star Wars 1313 (the game set in the underworld of Coruscant) would have been this game. In fact, now that I think of it, I *really* want to play that kind of game. Full on hunter of bounty hunters (with equal viability in stealth/ranged/melee modes). Coruscant's "verticalness" would have been rich for platforming, mixed with underworld and offworld political figures ripe for the nemesis system... damn you, Disney, and your money grubbing Mickey Mouse paws...

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: October 08, 2014, 04:30:45 AM

Also would have loved to see this style of game set in the world of REH's Conan. That IP (yes, I'm ignoring whatever FunCom did with it), would be perfect for an SoM-style franchise -- a ready-made setting replete with political states, kings, armies, sorcerers, stygian magic, death cults, monsters, and, uh, barbarians.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: October 08, 2014, 05:17:35 AM

No schild had it right. Put in a Bethsoft RPG. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, whatever. Would be fucking awesome.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: October 08, 2014, 06:14:59 AM

Put it on fucking everything, its not going to make any game worse.  Fucking pac-man would be better with a nemesis system.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor  
Jump to: