Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:24:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 102148 times)
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: December 28, 2015, 08:16:48 PM

Those do come later, they just don't throw them in at first (I found the shield orcs to be a real pain).  Right now you're fighting the Shadow of Mordor equivalent of Goombas, but stuff does get a bit trickier at least.

I actually really liked the difficulty curve of this game. It definitely could have used a bit more punch at the end (the bosses especially, WTF was that lazy ass final mission) but it was nice to have a game that got easier as I got better, rather than artificially ramping up the bullshit so that your progression doesn't matter.  It gives players a lot of control over their own difficulty, I found.  You can level yourself up to be stupidly powerful and keep the orcs really weak, or you can keep away from the overpowered skills and cultivate some really strong captains if you want.  Seemed like a more organic system than just asking a player "do you want easy medium or hard" before they've even had a chance to play the game.

Shield orcs are ridiculously easy.  Just jump over them and keep hitting them, or just run up onto a ledge so they act like they lost you and constantly complain that I must have gotten away and headshot them before going back into the fray (it's a 10x10 foot ledge I just jumped on, there's no where for me to run, I know Orcs are supposed to be stupid but this game takes it to a ridiculous level).  I just did a captain with a giant shield that you can't jump over and that was ridiculously easy too, pretty algorithmic.  Just mash attack until you see an icon, press the jump button (cause it doesn't matter where you jump, just that you jump somewhere, even getting thrown back from the captain is OK since you don't take damage) then once you have your hit streak enough you just go towards the captain and hit the finisher.  Repeat 4 or 5 times and viola, captain with giant shield dead.  

If this game gets easier as time goes on does that mean it's just one hit kills?  Cause now that I understand things it's ridiculously easy....
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: December 28, 2015, 09:08:11 PM

Those do come later, they just don't throw them in at first (I found the shield orcs to be a real pain).  Right now you're fighting the Shadow of Mordor equivalent of Goombas, but stuff does get a bit trickier at least.

I actually really liked the difficulty curve of this game. It definitely could have used a bit more punch at the end (the bosses especially, WTF was that lazy ass final mission) but it was nice to have a game that got easier as I got better, rather than artificially ramping up the bullshit so that your progression doesn't matter.  It gives players a lot of control over their own difficulty, I found.  You can level yourself up to be stupidly powerful and keep the orcs really weak, or you can keep away from the overpowered skills and cultivate some really strong captains if you want.  Seemed like a more organic system than just asking a player "do you want easy medium or hard" before they've even had a chance to play the game.

Shield orcs are ridiculously easy.  Just jump over them and keep hitting them, or just run up onto a ledge so they act like they lost you and constantly complain that I must have gotten away and headshot them before going back into the fray (it's a 10x10 foot ledge I just jumped on, there's no where for me to run, I know Orcs are supposed to be stupid but this game takes it to a ridiculous level).  I just did a captain with a giant shield that you can't jump over and that was ridiculously easy too, pretty algorithmic.  Just mash attack until you see an icon, press the jump button (cause it doesn't matter where you jump, just that you jump somewhere, even getting thrown back from the captain is OK since you don't take damage) then once you have your hit streak enough you just go towards the captain and hit the finisher.  Repeat 4 or 5 times and viola, captain with giant shield dead.  

If this game gets easier as time goes on does that mean it's just one hit kills?  Cause now that I understand things it's ridiculously easy....

You are in the first map.  It doesn't really try to challenge you as much as you learn how to play.  Next map will be alarms, mixed groups that counter your different defensive abilities, etc.  It also sounds like you haven't gotten a captain yet who has good immunities/abilities.... like range immune, immune to stuns, hard hitter, etc.

Then, when you stockpile a bunch of good runes, the game gets easy again.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: December 28, 2015, 10:15:03 PM

Shield orcs are ridiculously easy.  Just jump over them and keep hitting them, or just run up onto a ledge so they act like they lost you and constantly complain that I must have gotten away and headshot them before going back into the fray

They're easy if you get them alone (I generally just stun them) it's when you get like twenty orcs milling around and you need to stay focused on the shield guy that it gets annoying to me.  I had the same issue with the shield guys in Batman, but at least Batman has a disarm he can use on them.  Generally I just arrowed them to save myself the trouble.

Pretty much 95% of this game is easy once you get the hang of it, but that remaining 5% can really fuck you up since strong enemies can kill you with two or three hits.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: December 29, 2015, 03:42:14 AM

You are in the first map.  It doesn't really try to challenge you as much as you learn how to play.  Next map will be alarms, mixed groups that counter your different defensive abilities, etc.  It also sounds like you haven't gotten a captain yet who has good immunities/abilities.... like range immune, immune to stuns, hard hitter, etc.

Then, when you stockpile a bunch of good runes, the game gets easy again.

There is no significant change between maps in terms of orc composition, patrols etc. Everything you describe is in the first map. all can be beaten by just letting the game play and hitting the appropriate execute key when it comes up.

And evil captains unfortunately don't ever turn up, because they aren't getting kills against you and so upgrading all the time. It's one of the problems with the system - unless you die in combat, the captains are never really a threat. It's a shame because it's a fantastic system and absolutely what the open world genre needs to liven things up, it just doesn't work in a game where the combat is so absurdly simple and easy its hard to die.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:42:29 AM by Maledict »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #494 on: December 29, 2015, 07:45:48 AM

I stopped playing when I hit the second map. The game was great, but very shallow and repetitive. No hard feelings though, it was what I was told it would be.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #495 on: December 30, 2015, 04:10:35 PM

I really enjoyed the game until I completed it. At (and since) that point I've had no desire at all to boot it up again to chase captains around or anything like that. I did run around with the Lagertha skin for a little while to see how it looked, but that was it. A worthwhile purchase for me.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: December 30, 2015, 09:18:23 PM

The game's simplicity is really a feature, as where the game truely shines is as a mass combat simulator. No other game that I have played does it as well, what with throwing dozens of orcs at a time at me and I still have a good chance of defeating them all the first time trying. In other words, Dark Souls this is not, nor does it pretend to be.

I do think the gameplay, both combat wise and orc political sim-wise would have worked better with another IP, (say Conan, for instance) but LoTR is still pretty big, and WB has the full rights now I think.

Oh, and if you do play it make sure to grab the Celebrimbor DLC. Much better final battle than the main game's anticlimax....
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: December 31, 2015, 09:19:41 AM

The Lord of the Hunt dlc was surprisingly fun, for the stealth caragors alone.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor  
Jump to: