Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Wasteland 2 - InXile - PC Master Race 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wasteland 2 - InXile - PC Master Race  (Read 6473 times)
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

on: September 29, 2014, 02:22:28 AM

Hi men, I'm here to review the Godfather of Post-Apoc RPG sequel.
And I have bread news and more bread news.
WL2 feels like busy work at times for the sake of busy work. It's such a shame that the devs are misled into thinking more character skills = more depth.
Apparently activating the right skill on the right item with the right character is not enough, you have to wait for 6 seconds while the roll is being done.
For example, finding a locked lock box will devolve into repeating the same ritual of:
1. Walk Perception Guy over to Box: Confirm There is no Trap. If there is a demo trap, go to 2. If there is an Alarm go to 3. If it's locked, go to 4. If not, go to 5.
2. Disarm Trap with Demo Guy. 3 seconds.
3. Disarm Alarm with Alarm Guy. 3 seconds.
4. Lockpick / Brute force with Lockpick / Brute Force guy. 3 seconds.
5. Open the damn box and claim junk.

If you fail at some point, try again - or if you critically fail, you can try again 400 seconds later or - be permanently locked out.
Why not just add in a right click context menu where you can 'Use highest Demo Guy' / 'Use Highest Lockpicking Guy'?
I do recall having to do the same in other old classics like the evergreen Jagged Alliance 2 (Which is not RPG, but more of a tactical squad combat sim), but the whole 'locked container' occurs much less in that game. In WL2 it seems like there are more than a dozen such boxes in every map. Injecting tiniest amount of dopamine to your system when it is declared SUCCESSFUL in a crescendo of drum roll (I wish I am making this up) and 8 EXP GAINED. After 10 applications of such dosage my system has grown numb and I felt the lockbox taunting me, calling me names and mocking my desire to loot and grok EXP for the sake of EXP. Not because it's fun or interesting. But just because I want to POWERGAME IN A GAME THAT DOESN'T NEED TO POWERGAME NOR REWARD MUCH FOR POWERGAME ANYWAY.

Here, Steve the techie uses 5.25 inch disk to hack a machine...no gentlemen. That is the progress bar - Brute force is a Fist, Medic is Red Cross, Animal Whisperer is Whistle, Safecracking is the Dial Knob, Trap Disarm is TNT...so on. Are we goofy yet? OK. Moving on.

And the 'use shovel' to dig buried stashes is hilarious. Why can't there just be a simple inventory check for a shovel? Why so anal about it?
DO YOU REALLY NEED TO CLICK ON THE TOILET PAPER AFTER SHITTING? DO U NEED DIFFERENT MOUSE SWIPE TO WIPE. JUST PRESS X! FFS.

Tuna wrap taste better with honey mustard and sweet onion sauce. But I digress.

The plus is, there are choices and consequences that reflects in game. A dilemma about saving the pork chop or the drink the expiring milk - you can never have both. Or else off to the doctor you go.

So arguably, the game is encouraging a replay just to see what happens if you had gone to drink the milk first and have an over-cooked pork chop later.
But being buried in the tedium isn't exactly my idea of fun and the shallow tactical combat makes most of it a chore. The combat is like feeding a Jack Russel a bunch of chicken jerky. It'll keep coming back for more. And there's no challenge except to buy more jerky aka Bullets. Tactical differences being, DID YOU CROUCH? GOOD YOU GAIN 20 EVADE AND +10 TO HIT. DID YOU NOT CROUCH? YOU FOO! DO YOU WANT TO HIT PPL WHEN THEY ARE WITHIN RANGE? OK GOOD.

I did consider a radicalthon at one point, but the tedium makes it hard to swallow.
Also, clothes don't add any armor to you. You can go naked. Because they're just appearance sake only. If you wear 'armor' THEN you gain protection, but it will not display on your character model because 20 gigabyte is what you get for it.

Also, the game world devolves between gritty post-apoc and mad science territory while the comedy is far in between.
I talk to myself to make it funny in between game. It's so sad that sometimes I sing Zedd's Clarity while playing.
You can also import your own portrait(s)! Of your twins and most loved people in the world. And pretend it actually matters.

I love you, Steve.

Verdict: For Fans Only. This game has flaws that will drag it down. $40 price point is a good hint to wait for 50% off. They went too safe and the whole game felt draggy by the 2nd hour.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:36:04 PM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:04:20 AM

What is 47 holding up in that last pic?

I prefer your written reviews work.  Never fails to crack me up.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:54:06 AM

What is 47 holding up in that last pic?

I prefer your written reviews work.  Never fails to crack me up.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:34:46 AM

I liked that review.  I even agree with it and I am a fan.  In fact, I liked it so much that I think someone should paint your name with a different flavour.  Srsly.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
rk47
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:14:41 PM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Wasteland 2 - InXile - PC Master Race  
Jump to: