Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:35:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread  (Read 296247 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: September 11, 2017, 04:08:49 PM

So now the ConCrud has a body count.

And crap. I know a lot of you probably didn't like his politics, but I enjoyed many of his books back in the day.

Also, damn, he was 84?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #526 on: September 13, 2017, 08:21:05 PM

RIP Frank Vincent.  He went home to get his shine box.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: September 14, 2017, 03:24:47 AM

So now the ConCrud has a body count.

And crap. I know a lot of you probably didn't like his politics, but I enjoyed many of his books back in the day.

Also, damn, he was 84?

See, I loved his books but don't actually know about his politics.  So.  Don't tell me.  Because I'm having a hard enough time with the other authors that are turning out to be total fucking shitheels in their old ages.  It's like they wrote beautiful and moving stuff when they were young and then just decided to hit 50 and watch FoxNews and all of a sudden that shit they wrote doesn't matter because of the darkies.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: September 14, 2017, 09:20:22 PM

RIP punk legend Grant Hart (of Husker Du) at a way too young 56.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #529 on: September 14, 2017, 09:41:22 PM

^ That one hurts and has been on my mind all day.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: September 14, 2017, 09:47:04 PM

Ya, been real busy today so just read about it. Real shame. He should be more well known too.

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: September 14, 2017, 09:49:46 PM

I always felt that Husker Du and the Suburbs were bands that never really got the appreciation they deserved.  Then again, I grew up playing a lot of the same venues in Mpls so that could have biased me a bit.

Sad loss.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: September 14, 2017, 11:51:25 PM

I think they are appreciated in the industry. I firmly believe that they were one of the most influential bands of the 80s even if they never really broke out beyond the hardcore scene.

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #533 on: September 15, 2017, 05:17:31 AM

You believe that because it's true. The mention yesterday on NPR mentioned Metallica, Nirvana, and Green Day. Wikipedia mentions The Pixies, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, and Therapy?.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%BCsker_D%C3%BC#Legacy

There's other artists who have mentioned or been influenced by them without realizing it. They were a foundation to modern Rock the way Zepplin and Sabbath were to Metal.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: September 15, 2017, 05:38:15 AM

While I was always late to the party I've been listening to all their stuff again on a whim lately these last few months. The Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill and Books About UFOs are some of my favorite songs and now I'm sad :-(
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: September 15, 2017, 03:53:05 PM

"Ordinary fuckin' people, I hate em."

RIP Harry Dean Stanton

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: September 15, 2017, 05:06:21 PM

He almost feels like a greater celebrity. Or a greater than lesser, lesser than greater. An important person in the life of America in the 20th Century and early 21st. Saying something to us.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #537 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:26 PM

Bobby 'the brain' Heenan died. I dunno how many of you grew up on the men's wrestling entertainment, but I was a pretty big fan in the 1980s in the WCW and WWF days.

http://www.thewrap.com/wwe-hall-of-famer-bobby-the-brain-heenan-dead-at-73-report/

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: September 17, 2017, 06:36:57 PM

I could have sworn he was already dead.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: September 17, 2017, 06:42:09 PM

I could have sworn he was already dead.

He more or less disappeared after cancer took his voice.

Heenan was the best wrestling color commentator who ever lived and probably the best manager as well. Anything he commentated on was gold, and he was one of the few bright spots of some of the darker, shittier parts of late-90s WCW.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: September 17, 2017, 08:03:49 PM

Bobby 'the brain' Heenan died. I dunno how many of you grew up on the men's wrestling entertainment, but I was a pretty big fan in the 1980s in the WCW and WWF days.

http://www.thewrap.com/wwe-hall-of-famer-bobby-the-brain-heenan-dead-at-73-report/

Well, shit. Mob  He was absolutely brilliant as a heel manager and commentator. 

One of his many "weasel" matches he has over the years against Ultimate Warrior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4RoU7divHU
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: September 17, 2017, 09:57:10 PM

Rest easy, Weasel.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #542 on: September 18, 2017, 02:30:21 PM

Stanislav Petrov, the Soviet missile commander who decided to over-ride his warning system and prevent a nuclear war.

Early on the morning of Sept. 26, 1983, Stanislav Petrov helped prevent the outbreak of nuclear war.

A 44-year-old lieutenant colonel in the Soviet Air Defense Forces, he was a few hours into his shift as the duty officer at Serpukhov-15, the secret command center outside Moscow where the Soviet military monitored its early-warning satellites over the United States, when alarms went off.

Computers warned that five Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missiles had been launched from an American base.

“For 15 seconds, we were in a state of shock,” he later recalled. “We needed to understand, ‘What’s next?’ ”

The alarm sounded during one of the tensest periods in the Cold War. Three weeks earlier, the Soviets had shot down a Korean Air Lines commercial flight after it crossed into Soviet airspace, killing all 269 people on board, including a congressman from Georgia. President Ronald Reagan had rejected calls for freezing the arms race, declaring the Soviet Union an “evil empire.” The Soviet leader, Yuri V. Andropov, was obsessed by fears of an American attack.

Colonel Petrov was at a pivotal point in the decision-making chain. His superiors at the warning-system headquarters reported to the general staff of the Soviet military, which would consult with Mr. Andropov on launching a retaliatory attack.

After five nerve-racking minutes — electronic maps and screens were flashing as he held a phone in one hand and an intercom in the other, trying to absorb streams of incoming information — Colonel Petrov decided that the launch reports were probably a false alarm.

As he later explained, it was a gut decision, at best a “50-50” guess, based on his distrust of the early-warning system and the relative paucity of missiles that were launched.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: September 18, 2017, 04:46:25 PM

Did he die today?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #544 on: September 18, 2017, 05:26:25 PM

No, but his death was only reported today.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: September 27, 2017, 08:21:55 PM

Hugh Hefner finally croaked.

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #546 on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:16 PM

He is not a lesser celebrity.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: September 27, 2017, 09:15:22 PM

He is from the waist down. 

Too soon?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #548 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:17 PM

He is from the waist down. 

Too soon?
Did you just confuse Larry Flynt with Hugh Hefner AND make a handicap joke at the same time?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:56 PM

It was a penis joke.  I don't mock the handicapped.

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #550 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:18 PM

I don't get it then.

Edit: also, that's why I was surprised. I know you don't mock the handicapped.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: September 28, 2017, 07:47:08 AM

I would like to post-humously thank him for all the boobies.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: September 28, 2017, 07:56:21 AM

So long, and thanks for all the tits.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: September 28, 2017, 08:14:29 AM

So long, and thanks for all the tits.

Heart   awesome, for real   Heart

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #554 on: September 28, 2017, 08:26:10 AM

His work got me through puberty.  why so serious?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #555 on: September 28, 2017, 08:50:13 AM

Who?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #556 on: September 28, 2017, 08:52:21 AM

Hefner.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: September 30, 2017, 08:47:14 AM

Rimshot
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: September 30, 2017, 06:02:09 PM

[/thread]

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #559 on: September 30, 2017, 07:18:17 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/obituaries/monty-hall-dead-lets-make-a-deal.html?mcubz=3

God damn it, Monty Hall passed away...

I loved this show back in the day.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: The <celebrity> Died Thread  
Jump to: