Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:23:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: THE FAPPENING (9/11 for Celebrity Privacy) (NSFW) (Obviously) ITT: NO TITTIES 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE FAPPENING (9/11 for Celebrity Privacy) (NSFW) (Obviously) ITT: NO TITTIES  (Read 160725 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: October 12, 2014, 07:19:34 PM

Small note - it wasn't snapchat itself, it was a 3rd party snapchat service called snapsaved.com. Whose purpose, was to, uh, be a web portal to snapchat and optionally save pictures.
Exactly. The internet is forever not because of the rules of the originating service, but of the end client.

Never trust the client.

That sounds like a Rule™ from somewhere  wink
schild
Administrator

Reply #526 on: October 13, 2014, 12:29:11 AM

Never trust the client is a programming rule.

I prefer Dont Trust the Skull.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: October 14, 2014, 04:56:21 AM

Snapchat's "message/photo deleted after reading" is only believed by idiots.

I mean, if you send me a photo on snapchat, nothing actually prevents me of taking a screenshot on my phone to save the picture, and I've seen people who barely knew how to use their phones know how to take screenshots.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: October 14, 2014, 07:31:37 PM

I mean, if you send me a photo on snapchat, nothing actually prevents me of taking a screenshot on my phone to save the picture, and I've seen people who barely knew how to use their phones know how to take screenshots.

It actually tells the person who sent it when you do that, so it's actually so expected snapchat makes a point of checking for it and sharing that info.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: October 15, 2014, 02:51:36 PM

It actually tells the person who sent it when you do that, so it's actually so expected snapchat makes a point of checking for it and sharing that info.

huh, did not know that.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: October 15, 2014, 03:14:12 PM

Does it stop people from doing it? cause just knowing about it doesn't exactly change anything.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #531 on: October 15, 2014, 03:44:49 PM

Lets you know not to send them any more pictures you don't want saved.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: October 15, 2014, 05:59:08 PM

They only get a notification if you use Snapchat's screenshot option. If you use a 3rd party program, they are not notified.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #533 on: October 15, 2014, 08:52:13 PM

I don't think that's correct -- taking a screenshot on an iPhone (maybe it's different on an Android phone) is a native iOS function that you can do from any app.  I can't imagine how you'd use one app to take a screenshot of another app given that iOS doesn't really let you use more than one app at once.  So if you take a screenshot in Snapchat, you're doing it using the standard iOS method of pressing the power and home button at the same time.  When you do that, it sends a signal to the app and the app notifies the other party.

I can easily believe an Android would have an easier way around that.  Of course even with a "trusted" device ain't nothing stopping someone from taking a picture of the physical screen.   awesome, for real

(edit) I'd personally view Snapchat as "keeping honest people from making honest mistakes" and wouldn't send any "sensitive data" to someone I didn't trust.  The app adds value only inasmuch as the default behavior is paranoia -- e.g. if you email something, there's a copy of that email sitting around unless the recipient explicitly deletes it, whereas if you Snapchat something, the default is for it to go away unless the recipient explicitly circumvents that.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:57:54 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: October 15, 2014, 08:55:33 PM

The third party programs take your Snapchat login info, and just download the pics before they go to the native Snapchat app. There's no screenshot taking involved. This is on Android. Also, the thing that got "hacked", Snapsaved.com, is a PC tool/site that does the same thing along with letting you send snaps from PC.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #535 on: October 15, 2014, 09:00:53 PM

Oh well yeah, once you have a 3rd party app that connects directly to the Snapchat database, all bets are off.  I'm surprised that Snapchat permits that in the first place; they might not be able to make it IMPOSSIBLE, but they could do some simple encryption and update it every once in a while, forcing 3rd-party apps to reverse-engineer it each time to keep their apps working (which would be enough of a pain in the ass that nobody would bother maintaining an app under those conditions, especially since it'd also open them up to liability under the DMCA).

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: THE FAPPENING (9/11 for Celebrity Privacy) (NSFW) (Obviously) ITT: NO TITTIES  
Jump to: