Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:55:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015  (Read 62309 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 07:51:57 PM

I don't know, I think Chelsea's defense is solid enough compared to everyone else but Man City. You're right though, everybody's defense sucks these days.

I knew RVP had a knee issue, I hadn't heard he's going under the knife. Is that confirmed? If so, it makes the Falcao thing make a little more sense. I do think the reason neither Welbeck or Chicarito were scoring goals is because they were criminally misused under Moyes. Welbeck kept getting shunted to the wing and Chicarito never got starts.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 02:46:28 AM

I read that in quite a few places but it has turned out to be a rumour, but even if he doesn't require it it's RVP & he's made of glass. I would rather have Falcao in the team for those times than Welbeck/Chicarito & Rooney.

I've been impressed with Jones at CB last few games and Blackett could be good with more gametime. If we can get Johnny Evans back to his form from two years ago then our defensive woes will be averted. But that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 04:46:04 AM

I don't think there us anything wrong with selling Welbeck and buying Falcao when the opportunity arose. It just happens to draw attention to a lack of signings elsewhere.

In defence I suspect Jones is actually a decent player. The problem is that even good defenders look bad when surrounded by terrible defenders.

Anyway, they need improve a hell of a lot if they plan to challenge 4th place.

Only change I see from last year's top of tge table is Chelsea coming 1st instead of 3rd.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 05:25:52 AM

I think we might have missed a trick on letting De Vrij go to Lazio, but other than that I don't think we've been any less complacent than other teams in the transfer market.
Both Rojo and Blind can play the CB role and Blind will be the box to box midfielder I reckon. I like the look of Blind, lots of energy, excellent all rounder.
I don't know who we can knockout of the top 4 this year, it's going to be interesting to say the least.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 09:10:33 AM

I suspect that Liverpool and Arsenal are the two that are fragile enough to be knocked out of the top 4. Both are kind of shaky at the back at times. Arsenal is going to depend on how much production they get out of the forward position - which is really going to be based on how many games will be missed due to injury. I think Liverpool is a little deeper in central midfield and way deeper in the winger/forward area and less prone to injury. Neither side's goalkeepers excite me.

I'm having a hard time seeing the top 7 changing much from last season. Man U is going to have a struggle against Spurs, who will likely feast on the teams lower than them and struggle against the top 3. Everton and Man U will probably dance around behind Spurs in the end.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 02:42:17 PM

Very pleased with that today, so many new players coming in but yet slotting straight away. No Ashley Young either; thank fuck.

Impressed with Danny Blind linked up defense and midfield a la Carrick but showing a lot more to his game. Will need to up our game a fair bit to go toe to toe with the top teams but hopefully this is a new start.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 09:22:58 AM

Meanwhile, Liverpool shits the bed against Villa, who somehow always play us tough. It likely didn't help that our entire front line of 4 had never played a competitive game together. Still for the spend Liverpool have put out, you expect a better offensive showing at home.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 22, 2014, 07:11:31 AM

Oh Man U  swamp poop

Still how the FUCK does Vardy get away with that challenge on Rafael seconds before the penalty? That was godawful. (the penalty looked pretty darn soft too)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #43 on: September 22, 2014, 08:05:33 AM

I would like to laugh at Man. U's collapse against a potential relegation candidate but I find it hard to speak from a position of authority when Liverpool can't even score 2 goals against West fucking Ham.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: September 22, 2014, 10:28:16 AM

Clattenbergs decision yesterday was one of the most dubious I've ever seen. I cannot for the life of me see how he has interpreted a) not a foul on Rafael b) a penalty. That's two horrendous decisions for price of one, he's sent off 3 United players and given 5 penalties against in last 5 games. I think he's compensating for all the favours hes given our way in the past, he's a terrible ref.

One thing I'm happy about is at least we're exciting to watch again, Moyes version of United was as dull as dishwater.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:42:21 AM by Amarr HM »

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #45 on: October 25, 2014, 11:54:51 AM

So with Bale hurt Madrid apparently have found a lineup that leans heavily on Isco + Modric + Kroos playing as if they are true 2-way players somehow to allow James, CR7 and Benzema to maraud forward whenever possible.

The final scoreline flatters the hell out of them, they were very close to losing this game and it took pretty pedestrian games from Neymar, Messi, Iniesta and Xavi to get that result. But more importantly the lineup looked like it shouldn't give up goals all over the place against lesser competition like RM looked at the start of the season.

Not sure what they will do when Bale is back. I'm not sure they can fit the 3 attackers AND Bale unless James or Bale can change their game so they can be trusted with some defensive responsibility. I'm also super not sure that I wouldn't rather have Di Maria than James in this lineup and I love the kid as a player its just a little sad to see Kroos and esp Modric so shackled with responsibilities and Di Maria would have let them get forward more because you can trust him to see dangers and track back well if needed.

As for the EPL. I haven't watched much but LFC looked really bad in Champion's League against RM. Most of the 2nd half looked like both teams knew who was going to win and were just going through the motions.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #46 on: October 25, 2014, 04:47:15 PM

LFC is having to rely on Balotelli up front and he is one immobile, selfish, uninspired shithead. I can tell he has physical talent but he is a pudding brain. Also, Mignolet plays like he has a leash tied to his ass keeping him from leaving his goal line. I think he believes the 6-yard line is made of anthrax or something.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #47 on: October 29, 2014, 08:59:34 PM

Why do I watch fucking Soccer? Am I a masochist? Yea, I know MLS barely qualifies, but fuck.

Vancouver/Dallas, one game elimination. Tied 1/1 at 80 minutes. Dallas throw in gets headed, bounces up and catches a Vancouver defender in the arm. His arms were literally behind his back, with no Dallas player near by, no motion of the arm towards the ball at all. This was supposedly an experienced World Cup ref.

Dallas penalty. 2 - 1 Dallas, thanks for wasting my season you stupid fucking ref. Congrats Dallas, that was a skilfully won game.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 09:41:18 PM

Hate to say it, but that is good for me. Whitecaps are tough on the Sounders.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #49 on: October 30, 2014, 07:04:56 AM

Just to rub salt in the wound - local sports radio on the way in to work this morning plays an add for buying tickets for this Sunday's game, our first ever home playoff game! Yea, about that...

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #50 on: October 30, 2014, 07:30:36 AM

This is what decided a single elimination playoff game btw:

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #51 on: October 30, 2014, 10:16:59 AM

Yeah, that should not have been called but I can see some ref getting an antsy whistle on it. Outside the box, maybe? For a penalty that could decide a critical game like that? No, you gotta swallow the whistle on that one.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - rare sighting. Mario Balotelli scores a goal!!!!!!!

I still wish he would fuck right off and Rodgers would start a Lambert/Borini combo still Sturridge gets back but it was a good goal (and a great cross from Borini).

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 30, 2014, 10:21:17 AM

I'd say that's not as bad a call as you made it out to be. Defenders arms were NOT behind his back. He tracked the flight of the ball, knew it was going to bounce. Move or have your arms the fuck out the way.

edit: Watched a cpl more times in real time and in slow mo. That wasn't a bad call. That was your defender being a fucking MORON.

Still a shitty way to end a match.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:26:06 AM by Shannow »

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #53 on: October 30, 2014, 10:52:44 AM

Speaking as a keeper, that's the right call in my mind. You can't just decide to not call things like that given the situation. That ball bounces by the defender and who knows? It's a key play in the box at that point.

Does it suck that it nets a penalty? Yeah, but those are the rules. They are free to change them if they want to make it different. Or they want to move the penalty spot back (my personal choice).

EDIT: Interesting take on the issue. http://grantland.com/the-triangle/crime-and-punishment-should-the-penalty-kick-spot-be-moved-back/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:54:23 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #54 on: October 30, 2014, 11:08:18 AM

Obviously I am biased, but I don't see it that way. I see a guy who was anticipating one of the two guys going for the header would make contact and they didn't. He then has a split second to react to the ball bouncing in front of him. His hands are down at his side and he tries to hop out of the way, as it kicks up he even pulls his arm back to try to avoid the contact - his right hand is behind his hip and moving back by the time the ball makes contact.

Did it touch his arm? yes. Did he "deliberately" play the ball with his arm? Not even remotely. He's guilty of reacting a bit late at most, but all of his movement was in trying to get his arm out of the way.

The ref made two other hand ball calls in the game, one blatant one where the Dallas player on the ground played it with his hand - no card given, just a free kick at midfield. This call decided the game.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: November 01, 2014, 05:07:25 AM

Definitely harsh. It was a pretty clear cut intervention, albeit an accidental one.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: November 01, 2014, 05:38:27 AM

My view on almost all offences on a football field:

If you affect play illegally for any reason and gain material advantage, you should concede a freekick-penalty. Fine to say it is accidental, but a handball can penalize an attacker as much as the penalty penalizes the defender. Don't see why the attacker should lose out because you are insufficiently competent with your arms. That said, I do think refs should hold off blowing their whistle a little longer than they do to judge if any meaningful advantage was gained.

If you do anything recklessly add a yellow card.

Deliberate or dangerous, red card.

The problem with football rules is that though there aren't actually that many rules, they are all far too complicated.

OTOH as the actual rule says it has to be deliberate, wheras the gif makes him look like a ball watching lackwit - yeah, looks harsh.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: November 01, 2014, 06:55:24 AM

Stuff like that is why I find Gaelic Football or Australian Rules football far more enjoyable to watch. It's just not natural to not use your hands in that situation, and its so much of a judgement call on "accidental" or "deliberate" when the player is fighting his instincts the whole time.

Hic sunt dracones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 09, 2014, 10:21:34 PM

Btw, Gary Cahill...now THAT was a handball in the box swamp poop.

Mind you , Liverpool are just horrendous at defending. Even on a personal level...some players with terrible technique...wtf?

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 10, 2014, 09:25:03 AM

Sakho has the touch of a rapist.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #60 on: November 10, 2014, 12:52:02 PM

Too bad he wasn't playing this weekend. Not that it would have mattered. It's come far enough that I was actually happy with the way Liverpool played. It was certainly an improvement over their performance against Newcastle.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: November 10, 2014, 02:40:20 PM

So your saying you've hit the acceptance stage in the grief cycle?  why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #62 on: November 10, 2014, 02:56:15 PM

That happened about the time we lost to fucking Basel after almost shitting the bed against Ludacris.  why so serious?

No, this team is just not a world beater without Suarez and it's not top 4 quality without Sturridge. Our defense has been suspect since Carragher retired and it doesn't help that Mignolet plays like his ass is tethered to the goal line and his 6 yard box is surrounded by fire and a moat filled with sharks with freaking lasers on their head. Also, fucking Balotelli. Just... why? Saturday's game was the first game where he actually look lively (not that he looked like he'd score or anything but at least he was moving). Balotelli has been so bad I was HAPPY that Borini was starting against Madrid. I'd rather he or Lambert were up front in Sturridge's absence. Emre Can is starting to look like a good guy, thankfully. Glenn Johnson is pretty much useless these days - not good enough in defense and not offering nearly the offensive threat he used to. The second goal was partly made because Coutinho was back defending in Johnson's place (still haven't figured out where the fuck Johnson was) and Coutinho is a TERRIBLE defender.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #63 on: November 24, 2014, 05:21:29 AM

The problem with football rules is that though there aren't actually that many rules, they are all far too complicated.

That's because of cheating or 'creative rule interpretation' making it necessary to clarify/expand the ruleset. It's actually why most rules get more complex over time even though no actual new rules are added.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 24, 2014, 07:20:41 AM

Revolution!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #65 on: November 24, 2014, 10:27:04 AM

Dear God, Liverpool is fucking awful. Yep, let's score a goal after 90 seconds on the team that has gotten 1 point from the last 5 games, then proceed to let that shitty tattoo 3 goals without getting even one more fucking shot on target. It's just fucking atrocious. Rodgers keeps insisting on 4-3-3 with one real striker up top then watching the entire team provide that striker with no service, get no chances from the midfield, have no width because the fullbacks cannot seem to get down the field far enough to put any pressure on the wings (yet also can't do shit about getting back and defending the wings so I'm not sure what the fuck they ARE doing all game) and THEN when it looks like a draw may be the best we can hope for, watch the defense go all cock-eyed when counter-attacked, get out of position just long enough to make Simon Mignolet miss saves he should have been making if he'd been positioned right in the first place.

There are good players on the team. They just don't seem to have any fucking idea what they are doing now without having a world's greatest player playing in front of them. They have no cohesion. Their tactics don't even seem to have a point anymore. It's like they are still looking for those 2 players ahead of them to create space even though those 2 guys aren't even in the team. I'm glad Rickey Lambert got the start and got the goal - but they really need to be altering their tactics based on who IS in the lineup. They should be going some kind of 4-4-2, maybe with a diamond shaped midfield - Lallana at the top, Can at the base with Sterling and Coutinho to either wing. Put Lambert and Borini as a more traditional 2 up top and for fuck's sake, get Martin Skrtel out of the goddamn lineup before the pigeons start to make a nest on him like they do other statues. And get a real top flight goalkeeper because Mignolet had regressed.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 01, 2014, 08:19:27 AM

Revs and Galaxy in MLS cup final. Woot woot!

Revs probably will get crushed (doesn't help that its in LA) but I'm holding out hope this is a Rams - Patriots 2001 sorta thing.

You can now get back to bitching about how bad Liverpool is (though Glenn Johnson has some big brass balls)

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: December 01, 2014, 09:54:19 AM

Well, he needed to do something, he'd been pretty worthless the entire season up until that point. This might have been the first game he's actually contributing in any meaningful way offensively since like January. I still can't understand why Rodgers keeps putting Joe Allen in there either, he has done just about fuckall to deserve it. I'd rather see a midfield of Lucas, Henderson and Can than Allen. They did at least get a lot better in the second half, finally showing some kind of intensity.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 06, 2014, 05:24:40 PM

Suck it Chelsea!  awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: December 06, 2014, 05:29:22 PM

I would point and laugh at both Chelsea & Arsenal, then I remember Liverpool drew to fucking Sunderland at Anfield and I just can't muster the energy to slot that one home. Much like my team.  why so serious?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015  
Jump to: