Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015  (Read 62310 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #105 on: January 25, 2015, 09:34:44 AM

She's crossed the hot/crazy line.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #106 on: January 25, 2015, 07:08:08 PM

hey did you know that the US has a Womans Soccer team? Its true! And they are breaking into the big time with the traditional NFL pursuits...
Up until recently, I'd say the women's team was more well know nationally than the men's.  Growing up in the 90's, soccer was considered more of a women's sport (at least in my area), though that's started to change.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #107 on: January 26, 2015, 04:55:21 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #108 on: January 27, 2015, 08:26:49 AM

City got an absolute steal on this guy for less than 30 million. Liverpool could have had him for a Mario Balotelli and 60% of Dejan Lovren at the start of the season. They chose poorly.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: January 27, 2015, 08:29:51 AM

Socceroos through to the final of the Asian Cup vs S Korea. Woot.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #110 on: February 25, 2015, 09:56:45 PM

LOL ARSENAL.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: February 27, 2015, 06:00:36 PM

So, it looks like there might be some trouble brewing with the next World Cup, being held in Russia.  Apparently, according to a report regarding racism in Russian soccer "shows a really quite gruesome picture of a domestic league which is full of aspects of racism, xenophobia: The far-right play a significant role in the fan culture,".  It's so bad, they are not only afraid for the players on the field but the fans coming to watch the games.  This could really unravel quickly if players follow through with their threats to walk of the field if they're subjected to racist taunts en mass.  Russia, showing once again why its a shit hole filled with crazy, despicable people.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/russian-soccer-s-discrimination-a-threat-to-world-cup-report-1.2976312

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:16:14 PM by Ginaz »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: March 22, 2015, 06:37:33 PM

Mata's second goal today. wow.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #113 on: March 23, 2015, 07:23:11 PM

Yeah. That may be goal of the season. Too bad Liverpool didn't decide to play at all until Gerrard got red-carded for a stupid stamp. And it looks like Skrtel's stamp is going to get him 3 games as well. Good fucking job, guys. Way to piss away 4th place.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: March 24, 2015, 04:37:29 AM

The way I saw it Liverpool couldn't play, Uniteds high pressing and tidy possession saw to that. In the second half United eased off the gas and allowed Liverpool back into it. We did the same to Spurs last week and to Arsenal, so it's no coincidence, we got gazumped by Arsenal which Liverpool nearly did aswell.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #115 on: May 17, 2015, 06:45:02 PM

The chairman fell off the stage, while trying to present the trophy to the champions of Australia's A-League: https://vine.co/v/eAauhmdAxUt
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #116 on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:26 PM

Ha. They arrested a bunch of FIFA officials for corruption. To quote Apocalypse Now that's like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #117 on: May 27, 2015, 03:16:08 AM

About time. Several people in the US not directly related to FIFA also arrested in relation to same investigation, it seems?

Quote from a CNN article:
...the Swiss Federal Office of Justice said that those arrested are accused of accepting bribes and kickbacks totaling more than $100 million, from the early 1990s until now.

Also, surprise, surprise. Blatter is not among the arrested, and will run more or less unopposed in election as new FIFA president. :P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: June 02, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Blatter resigned.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #119 on: June 02, 2015, 11:10:30 AM

WayAbvPar

Reply #120 on: June 17, 2015, 11:19:44 AM

Clint Dempsey knows how to get sent off in style

Very disappointed I didn't watch the stream of this (it wasn't televised). Hope there is video of it somewhere.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #121 on: June 18, 2015, 09:56:33 AM

Damn, sounds like he went all Lou Pinella on it.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: June 18, 2015, 10:03:23 AM

So I guess no one knows/cares that the women's World Cup is happening here in Canada?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller? awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #123 on: June 18, 2015, 10:06:51 AM

I realize it may be misogynistic to say so, but I've just never been able to get into women's sports. I applaud them, I have no problem with them, but I just don't have any interest in watching them.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #124 on: June 18, 2015, 12:30:48 PM

So I guess no one knows/cares that the women's World Cup is happening here in Canada?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller? awesome, for real

I've been watching with the GF. Not every night, but definitely when matches are on a channel I get, it is on the TV. Watched France last night take Mex to the woodshed and the US women prior to that. I like the USA, Rapinoe and Johnston are playing out of their minds. I really have only been subjected to the USA matches because TV viewing limitations so I only have that group for reference - though I have picked up a few halfs at the gym when they show Fox Sports 1. I can say that of the other matches I have briefly seen, Ivory Coast vs Thailand was really bad... amateur hour bad with very rare flashes of regular plays.

As for Group D, Australia looks up to speed now and probably would beat the USA if they meet again. Sweden looked really good technically, but lacked finish. Nigeria was respectable and was the wildcard team in that they seem to be the team that exploited opportunities the best. The US should have won 4-0 against them, but Nigeria's goalie (played insanely well and made some huge saves) and the US's failure to finish set pieces kept them in it.

That is about all I have so far. Hope to see more teams once the knock rounds start.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: June 19, 2015, 09:59:57 AM

I'm really the enjoying world cup (I'll basically watch soccer in just about any form) if for nothing else it's a rare occasion to see my national team play (Go the Matildas!) and not suck horribly (Looking at you socceroos). Next up, Brazil!   ACK!

In some ways watching women's soccer can actually be better than the men's. The men's game can be so tight defensively that it can get damn boring, the women? Not so much , so more excitement at times.

WayAbvPar

Reply #126 on: June 19, 2015, 10:03:32 AM

I don't mind women's soccer nearly as much as I do shit like basketball and softball (which are utterly unwatchable). I only really watch the US, however. And I love me some Sydney Leroux, even though I loathe fake breasts.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 19, 2015, 10:52:57 AM

I don't mind women's soccer nearly as much as I do shit like basketball and softball (which are utterly unwatchable). I only really watch the US, however. And I love me some Sydney Leroux, even though I loathe fake breasts.

Do you loathe fake Americans, too? awesome, for real
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 05:35:10 PM by Ginaz »
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: June 19, 2015, 11:17:20 AM

Do you loathe fake Americans, too? awesome, for real

She liked us better.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: June 22, 2015, 05:51:16 PM

USA looks like shit. Columbia looks like they want it a whole lot more.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: June 23, 2015, 04:49:23 AM

Australia beating Brazil was the best fathers day gift I got (mind you I told my wife it was the second best gift)

Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 23, 2015, 06:36:54 AM

Full respect to Wambach, but she just is not fast enough to keep up this Cup. Unless the USA changes to 3 forwards, I don't understand her starting. She is huge on set pieces - at least she should be, but so far that part has been pretty silent. USA needs to speed things up or they aren't going to get past China... which would be lulz.

IMHO, if Columbia's goalie had not been red carded, that match could have gone either way. The USA always plays better in the 2nd, but Columbia was the more scrappier of the two teams. That said, the US defense is insanely good and if anything, that will get them to the finals.

WayAbvPar

Reply #132 on: June 23, 2015, 09:25:36 AM

Rapinoe has to sit due to the asinine yellow card rules (really? 2 yellows in 4 games gets you a 1 game suspension? Fucking clownshoes), so there may be another reason to change the formation. She has been the most consistent thread going forward.

Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: June 23, 2015, 10:33:41 AM

Rapinoe has to sit due to the asinine yellow card rules (really? 2 yellows in 4 games gets you a 1 game suspension? Fucking clownshoes), so there may be another reason to change the formation. She has been the most consistent thread going forward.

Agreed. Yellows should count per stage. Yellows in the round-robin should stay in the qualifying round. Rules never change though without the moneyhats saying something. Bigger travesty has been using turf over grass. Whoever thought that a good idea and approved it should be strapped to the back of a 4wheeler and drug behind it over that turf.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #134 on: June 23, 2015, 01:46:31 PM

Try finding a real grass stadium that holds 50k people in Canada - there aren't many. I wish it was grass, but hey, at least its brand new fancy turf.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #135 on: June 23, 2015, 07:16:40 PM

How to tackle yourself (video from Women's World Cup Japan v Netherlands match a few minutes ago)
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: June 23, 2015, 07:27:12 PM

Try finding a real grass stadium that holds 50k people in Canada - there aren't many. I wish it was grass, but hey, at least its brand new fancy turf.

Well it IS the World Cup and FIFA... They can afford to lay sod down a month before.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #137 on: June 23, 2015, 11:30:48 PM

How to tackle yourself (video from Women's World Cup Japan v Netherlands match a few minutes ago)

Leonel Messi she ain't.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #138 on: June 24, 2015, 05:06:01 AM

I'll fully admit I won't watch any more of the women's world cup until the finals if the USA is in it. Because that's the only round that matters. If we're busted out before that, it's a gigantic failure considering how thin the competition really is.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #139 on: June 24, 2015, 07:05:31 AM

I've watched all of Canada's matches so far, plus a couple others. It's reasonably entertaining. It's also quite hilarious how much less flopping there is in the women's game.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer thread 2014/2015  
Jump to: