Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:12:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: O Captain, my captain 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: O Captain, my captain  (Read 43733 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

on: August 11, 2014, 04:02:24 PM

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:12:44 PM by TheWalrus »

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:06:05 PM

That's terrible.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:06:16 PM

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:07:11 PM

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 04:08:54 PM

Holy crap.  Guess you never know what someone's really going thru.  RIP.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 04:12:55 PM

Robin Wililams was still alive?
/obligatory
Heh. Half the time I read these threads and have no idea who it is everyone's talking about. Williams will always be timeless to me, though. Awful news indeed.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 04:16:35 PM

Holy fuck... he was on my short list of favorites. Of all time. Jesus this is a shit deal. cry

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 04:22:32 PM

This hurts more than any celebrity death I can think of in a very long time.   cry

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 04:27:39 PM

Looks like it was a suicide, death by asphyxia, so likely he hanged himself.  His movie I enjoyed the most was probably Good Morning Vietnam.  I remember watching it with my dad and we were both in stitches for almost the whole movie.

This is sad as fuck. Heartbreak 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:27:42 PM

Fuuuuuuck.  I mean, the guy had problems forever, but you hoped he was getting help.  The drugs and alcohol have dogged him his entire life, he was fairly open about it when people bothered asking.  He had his demons and they finally got them.  

He had such a wide and varied career he never deserved the shit people gave him for his comedy.  RIP, Robin. I'll get the kids to watch Popeye in remembrance.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 04:28:51 PM

RIP. Hate to see people succumb to their inner demons, but now he is at peace I guess.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 04:31:42 PM

What the fuck is this shit....

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 04:32:10 PM

Damn

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 04:32:21 PM

So many movies starring him are on my replay favorite list... starting with Popeye of all things. This really is crushing.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 04:40:44 PM

Tough news.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 04:42:11 PM

Movie quote floating around fits well.

I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci."

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 04:53:26 PM

Its so sad that someone who made millions laugh and was admired / loved was in such a dark and lonely place in his life that he felt the need to end it.  Tragic end to an amazing man.  Like someone above said, this is the first time in a long time Ive actually been truly bummed out over a celebrity death
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

Nanu Nanu
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 05:32:26 PM

Damn it.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 05:39:23 PM

So bummed about this :( . Watched him again and again in Mrs. Doubtfire, loved his weird appearances at Letterman's and there's a lot of Mork & Mindy in my childhood memories.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 05:52:37 PM

Hook was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 06:09:28 PM

Suicide is a great way to take all the sadness and unhappiness out of what is one of the greatest losses in Hollywood this year, and possibly this decade.

Fake Edit: I'm not saying this makes it the opposite of sad and unhappy, I'm just saying I feel nothing because I don't feel for the suicidal.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 06:11:04 PM

Today officially sucks.   cry

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 06:32:58 PM

Very sad.

News like this usually makes me angry, but in this instance, all I can feel is sad.  He was unique and treasured.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 06:46:21 PM

He's been bipolar his whole life. I'm kinda surprised it hadn't happened sooner and louder.

He will be missed greatly.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 07:02:26 PM

Suicide is a great way to take all the sadness and unhappiness out of what is one of the greatest losses in Hollywood this year, and possibly this decade.

Fake Edit: I'm not saying this makes it the opposite of sad and unhappy, I'm just saying I feel nothing because I don't feel for the suicidal.
Huh, I hadn't pegged you as one of those.

He's been bipolar his whole life. I'm kinda surprised it hadn't happened sooner and louder.

He will be missed greatly.
Yeah, it's strange to see someone succumb after holding out for so long. Seems like most people with mental disorders manage to find some peace - one way or the other - well before their 60s. That's a lot of inner conflict to go through. cry
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 07:04:10 PM

Yeah, it's strange to see someone succumb after holding out for so long. Seems like most people with mental disorders manage to find some peace - one way or the other - well before their 60s. That's a lot of inner conflict to go through. cry

I am starting to think life just gets harder the older one gets. :/

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 07:06:23 PM

I don't know what that means and I'm not sure this is the thread to explain it. Feel free to PM me if you have a burning desire to explain your vague bullshit.

Edit: I would have preferred a drug overdose, and I'm hoping drugs led to this to be honest. At least then making an entirely selfish decision is explainable.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:09:10 PM by schild »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 07:32:53 PM

I've loved Robin Williams since forever!  Even when he babbles nonsense... maybe especially then.  I'm very sad.  Hopefully, I'll never be as sad as he obviously was.  :(

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 08:07:02 PM

I don't know what that means and I'm not sure this is the thread to explain it. Feel free to PM me if you have a burning desire to explain your vague bullshit.

Edit: I would have preferred a drug overdose, and I'm hoping drugs led to this to be honest. At least then making an entirely selfish decision is explainable.

I think the more we learn about things like mental illness and depression, brain trauma, dementia, etc..., the harder it becomes to automatically dismiss suicide as something selfish. You can never really know all the factors that lead to people doing something like this. I don't imagine that he just woke up this morning and decided he really regretted signing on for Mrs. Doubtfire 2 and decided it was time to take himself out of the game.

Ultimately I guess you can think his death isn't sad because he gave up. Other people might choose to respect that he fought whatever demons it was he was fighting for as long as he did.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 08:25:13 PM

Man, FUCK THIS MONDAY.  swamp poop

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 11, 2014, 09:10:36 PM

I am shocked he made it out the cocaine fueled comedy of the 80s.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:40:56 PM by Furiously »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 11, 2014, 10:18:03 PM

Crazy, lovable, genius.  RIP.

Heartbreak

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 12:10:47 AM

So in your world depression is a choice and not an illness?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 12:16:40 AM

So in your world depression is a choice and not an illness?

You'll have to excuse Schild, he's from Texas.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: O Captain, my captain  
Jump to: