Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  (Read 90383 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: May 16, 2015, 06:25:34 PM

So many good lines but one that had me laughing(As I believe was intentional)

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #106 on: May 16, 2015, 06:43:31 PM

This may be one of the rare movies I see twice in one weekend.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: May 16, 2015, 09:20:21 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. It is not going to be #1 this weekend and will struggle to clear 150M in the US. It will have to do big overseas to make back its money and that is tough with the IP not being that big internationally and no big name star.

Didn't the same thing happen to the Matrix?  Didn't open well at all if I recall; my theatre was crickets for that movie also, on opening night.  Then a few weeks later reality struck.  I think the same will happen for Fury Road.

This may be one of the rare movies I see twice in one weekend.

Critics said you have to see it twice.  The first time the shear awe of the thing is a distraction.  The second time you can actually appreciate and understand it.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #108 on: May 16, 2015, 10:15:05 PM

Jesus God, how did this movie get made? And how in fuck can we get more of them made?

It was gobsmackingly gorgeous and fucking insane. The story might as well have been written on a napkin yet it was perfect. It didn't need any more explanation, it didn't need any more dialogue. It was like a David Mamet film if Mamet was on meth and totally fucking awesome. I was smiling and laughing the whole time, and I'm sure the expression on my face was like I was being shot into fucking space.

EDIT: Also, having now seen the movie, what the fuck were the men's rights activists getting their panties in a twist about? I mean, in order for you to think the movie was some kind of feminist propaganda, you'd have to think that a good starting baseline is that women as the breeding chattel of the biggest warlord is somehow either a positive or at least a net neutral. I just... I don't even...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:20:19 PM by HaemishM »

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #109 on: May 16, 2015, 10:34:09 PM

No. Women standing up for themselves rather than accepting their lot as breeding chattel is what they object to. God forbid, some bitch isn't barefoot, pregnant or making them a sammich.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #110 on: May 16, 2015, 10:44:22 PM

EDIT: Also, having now seen the movie, what the fuck were the men's rights activists getting their panties in a twist about? I mean, in order for you to think the movie was some kind of feminist propaganda, you'd have to think that a good starting baseline is that women as the breeding chattel of the biggest warlord is somehow either a positive or at least a net neutral. I just... I don't even...
They weren't, it was probably an 'Outrage Marketing' stunt. All the actual "MRA" forums and such have no idea who these people that are supposedly them that are "upset", actually are.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: May 16, 2015, 10:50:40 PM

I thought Return of the Kings (which is where all that nonsense started) was a fairly well-established MRA site.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #112 on: May 16, 2015, 10:54:56 PM

I thought Return of the Kings (which is where all that nonsense started) was a fairly well-established MRA site.
Not that you really want a taxonomy of that particular dark corner of the internet, but RotK is a neo-reactionary "Red Pill" site closely connected to the fundies, they mock MRA's as beta wannabe feminists.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: May 16, 2015, 10:58:45 PM

I don't know what any of that means. And I don't want to.  But that doesn't sound like some bullshit false-flag operation. Sounds like some chucklehead wrote it because he thought that way.

-H.L. Mencken
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: May 16, 2015, 11:02:55 PM

The point is that said chucklehead isn't a Men's Rights Activist.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: May 16, 2015, 11:11:49 PM

Sorry I can't distinguish between all the various shades of fuckwits that inhabit that particular backwater of the gene pool.

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 16, 2015, 11:14:05 PM

The point is that RotK being the source is not evidence that it is not 'Outrage Marketing' astroturfing, those guys are pretty sketchy even outside of their rather...unusual ideological position.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: May 16, 2015, 11:17:51 PM

I'll apply Occam's Razor and conclude it is more likely to be a solitary dope with a web page.  Marketers don't like controversy on principle and suggesting a boycott as some sort of double-reverse back flip psychology is the "worst...astroturfing...ever".

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: May 16, 2015, 11:21:21 PM

I posted on the Kings site to point out the Australian/American mixup. I regret it already as I feel like even a simple post like that has somehow forever stained me. I did it in hopes of tossing a small, innocuos bomb in there.

Anyway, it's a very good movie that I don't think will make very much in theaters. However, I suspect it will make a killing once it hits the home market and be remembered for years.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 16, 2015, 11:24:50 PM

Box office will depend to a large degree on how Tomrrowland hits.  It looks goofy as hell but I will follow Brad Bird into pretty much anything, so will go see it.  Its possible that MM:FR will have a long run-out if the great word of mouth really gets going. I hope it does as I want Miller to make more films out of his bugfuck head.

-H.L. Mencken
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: May 16, 2015, 11:26:47 PM

I'll apply Occam's Razor and conclude it is more likely to be a solitary dope with a web page.  Marketers don't like controversy on principle and suggesting a boycott as some sort of double-reverse back flip psychology is the "worst...astroturfing...ever".
I'm not going to derail with other examples, but 'outrage marketing' is more common than you think, with several other cases directly involving movies. Forget double-reverse back flips, the rabbit hole goes much deeper than that.

In essence, any time you find yourself wanting to spend money because you're trying to spite some third party, odds are high that there's a setup involved.

Anyway, separate from all of that bullshit, the movie looks great, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 16, 2015, 11:28:13 PM

any time you find yourself wanting to spend money because you're trying to spite some third party

Which is exactly never, because I'm not insane.

-H.L. Mencken
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: May 16, 2015, 11:43:47 PM

Box office will depend to a large degree on how Tomrrowland hits.  It looks goofy as hell but I will follow Brad Bird into pretty much anything, so will go see it.
On one hand, Brad Bird but on the other, Damon Lindelof.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: May 16, 2015, 11:53:12 PM

Ya, definitely conflicted although Bird has a co-credit on both the story and screenplay so hopefully his influence prevails.

Oh, and "Mediocre!" is my new catch-phrase. Just letting you all know.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:03:24 AM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: May 17, 2015, 04:27:21 AM

I saw it in a Village (the people who helped fund it) theatre. The sound was broken or missing any side volume, so half the dialogue you couldn't hear or understand. The lights stayed ON for the first 5 minutes. Note to self- do not go to movies at Village theatres.

With the crappy sound, I'd only give it a 6/10. Hope you all see it in a place with better volume.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 17, 2015, 08:21:30 AM

I saw it in a Village (the people who helped fund it) theatre. The sound was broken or missing any side volume, so half the dialogue you couldn't hear or understand. The lights stayed ON for the first 5 minutes. Note to self- do not go to movies at Village theatres.

With the crappy sound, I'd only give it a 6/10. Hope you all see it in a place with better volume.

Warned you. 
The plus side is, it's a good movie to see twice.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #126 on: May 17, 2015, 09:09:12 AM

Ya, definitely conflicted although Bird has a co-credit on both the story and screenplay so hopefully his influence prevails.

Oh, and "Mediocre!" is my new catch-phrase. Just letting you all know.

I really want the Helpdesk folks to shout "Witness me!" when answering tickets.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: May 17, 2015, 10:07:45 AM

Yup, up to 99% now.  Ridiculous.  "....worth waiting 30 yrs to see."  and "Theron is the new Ripley"  are quotes that have been said.
Though I read an article saying Pitch Perfect 2 would dig heavily into the profits.   awesome, for real    The world is broken.

Pitch Perfect 2 - 70 million
Mad Max - 44 million

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: May 17, 2015, 10:13:51 AM

If I had a tweener daughter with half-a-brain, I'd take her to see Fury Road tbh...  rather than PitchPerfect 2.  The former actually has a larger dose of useful reality than the latter; by far... especially for young girls.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #129 on: May 17, 2015, 10:20:59 AM

any time you find yourself wanting to spend money because you're trying to spite some third party

Which is exactly never, because I'm not insane.

This. I value my money a shitload more than some dickhead's outrage.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: May 17, 2015, 10:21:34 AM

It is more the fact that the last Max movie was 30 years ago.  it is mainly us older people that are going to have more of an interest in it.  Plus Pitch Perfect was a pretty popular movie and is recent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #131 on: May 17, 2015, 10:26:43 AM

This is one of the reasons I'm flabbergasted that this movie got made. The last movie was 30 years ago, and wasn't very well received. The star of that one isn't in this one at all, and he's also gone so bugfuck crazy most of Hollywood won't touch him. The name Mad Max has almost no real cultural cache (Road Warrior might and Thunderdome less but Mad Max? Almost zero). The director is goddamn insane and the screenplay was probably written on a roll of toilet paper in crayon. With Hollywood's aversion to anything that isn't a sure hit, I cannot understand how this got a dime, much less how it got $150 million. I can't imagine a Hollywood exec getting dailies on this and not shitting themselves about how much money they tossed down the drain.

And yet it is such a perfect fucking gem of a movie.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #132 on: May 17, 2015, 11:01:20 AM

Yup, up to 99% now.  Ridiculous.  "....worth waiting 30 yrs to see."  and "Theron is the new Ripley"  are quotes that have been said.
Though I read an article saying Pitch Perfect 2 would dig heavily into the profits.   awesome, for real    The world is broken.
Mad Max - 44 million
Mad Max is rated R so you can't really compare. 44 million is a decent opening for an R rated movie:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/mpaa.htm
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: May 17, 2015, 11:13:16 AM

This is one of the reasons I'm flabbergasted that this movie got made. The last movie was 30 years ago, and wasn't very well received. The star of that one isn't in this one at all, and he's also gone so bugfuck crazy most of Hollywood won't touch him. The name Mad Max has almost no real cultural cache (Road Warrior might and Thunderdome less but Mad Max? Almost zero). The director is goddamn insane and the screenplay was probably written on a roll of toilet paper in crayon. With Hollywood's aversion to anything that isn't a sure hit, I cannot understand how this got a dime, much less how it got $150 million. I can't imagine a Hollywood exec getting dailies on this and not shitting themselves about how much money they tossed down the drain.

And yet it is such a perfect fucking gem of a movie.

It may be that Theron and Hardy signed on to get the movie made, which is a smart tactic for stuff like this.   Find the big names first, and then pander the bean-counters.  Recall, the real star of the last Max was Tina Turner, not Gibson.  She was awesome in that.  Miller ran with that trope again here, with Theron.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: May 17, 2015, 12:34:51 PM

Just to chip in here ;  beyond, arguably, Max 1, was Max ever Really the driving force of the film ?  Was it ever really about him ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #135 on: May 17, 2015, 12:47:54 PM

I just had the same discussion with the wife after making her sit through Road Warrior and Thunderdome last night and then seeing Fury Road today. Max has always been a bit player in his own movies. It fits well that way. I read a review that likened Max himself to a legend and the movies are stories told by other people that remember him being there, but didn't necessarily get the details all right. From the Feral Child to Savannah Nix to now, Furiosa and the wives. I like that angle.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: May 17, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Mad Max - 44 million
Mad Max is rated R so you can't really compare. 44 million is a decent opening for an R rated movie:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/mpaa.htm

I was really just confirming what was said about Pitch taking profits from Max, which it did.  The R rating being a hindrance has been slowly going away... hell the Hangover films proved that and those were comedies to boot.  I think Deadpool, whether the movie is good or not, will be a bigger R opening than Max.

Also crazy that Pitch has already made back its production budget by over 100% and made more than the originals total domestic box office. 
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #137 on: May 17, 2015, 02:04:52 PM

The overlap between the Pitch Perfect and Mad Max audiences is small. I disagree with whatever article said PP2 would dig heavily into the profits.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #138 on: May 17, 2015, 02:12:13 PM

Mad Max - 44 million

That's domestic.  Add in the international numbers and you get this:

Pitch Perfect 2 - 118 million
Mad Max - 109.4

Mad Max made 65 million overseas, which is great considering the fact that it isn't a big IP like Marvel.  This is a really good haul for an R rated movie and everyone involved with Mad Max have to be happy right now.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
WayAbvPar

Reply #139 on: May 17, 2015, 04:16:09 PM

Just got back. Spectacular stunts, but I was bored to fucking tears after an hour. I really don't get the hype.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road  
Jump to: