Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: DC "Universe" thread. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DC "Universe" thread.  (Read 42784 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: June 06, 2015, 08:23:25 PM

I think you're vastly underestimating people's recognition of Aquaman.

If you were talking about Martian Manhunter then sure. But Aquaman has been a comics staple forever, has appeared in widely watched cartoons, etc. I mean people still know who the Wonder Twins are.

Everyone knows that Wonder Woman has a magic lasso and an invisible jet. How do they know that? She had a minor hit TV show in the 70s that we still have a cultural memory of somehow.

As movies are announced people who don't know are told by people who do, or look things up online. If you look for "aquaman video" on Google the first two results are from the old cartoon.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: June 06, 2015, 08:33:35 PM

Everyone knows who Aquaman is, it's Namor that is only known by us dorks.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: June 06, 2015, 08:59:05 PM

People may know who he is generally (the name is kind of a giveaway!) but the idea that 99% have a particular idea of him that is relatively immobile or that will resist redefinition is just wrong. Hell, it's not even true for characters that we think are incredibly well known at high levels of specificity. Look at Batman: you have the campy TV show, the less campy but still campy Burton movies, and the grimdark not-campy Nolan movies, and probably some of the audience for any one of those had seen and liked the other two.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: September 18, 2015, 01:56:27 PM

http://www.tracking-board.com/exclusive-warner-bros-developing-booster-goldblue-beetle-movie-with-greg-berlanti-helming/

The people behind the TV series are reportedly looking into this one - which is odd considering they were denied access to both of these characters recently for their TV works.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #179 on: September 19, 2015, 06:15:06 AM

Aquaman will suck. Because they hired Namor to play the part. And Namor is a hundred times better - but not in an Aquaman movie.

I'm looking forward to the Preacher tv series though... if you count that as DC.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: January 07, 2016, 12:57:31 PM

For those curious: The TNT TV Series based on Teen Titians has been Terminated.

http://tvline.com/2016/01/07/tnt-titans-cancelled-pilot/#more-672138

It wasn't set in the DCU, but it was discussed here earlier.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: January 10, 2016, 01:15:39 AM

I loved Aquaman in the brave and the bold. He was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibDtsl92QWk

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #182 on: January 10, 2016, 01:24:18 AM

Brave and the Bold was a criminally underrated show.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: May 19, 2016, 06:42:42 AM

http://www.blastr.com/2016-5-18/wake-batman-v-superman-warner-bros-restructures-control-dc-film-universe

Perhaps a good first step. Too bad it was there 7000th step rather than their first.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:50:19 AM by jgsugden »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #184 on: May 19, 2016, 06:51:35 AM

Even if I'm not a fan of the CW series because I find them soap-opraish, it's definitely a step in the right direction. Seems they're doing it for all their studios, though.

The shakeup comes as part of a larger shift at Warner Bros., as the studio is now focusing on “genre streams” for executives, as they essentially hyper-focus a team to focus on different types and genres of movies. Put simply: The goal is to put executives who understand these franchises in direct control of their fates, as opposed to a board room of VPs making decisions about a broad group of projects.

Woah.. who'd have thought that people who care about projects might produce better results than guys only concerned about marketing metrics. I only hope this succeeds to see it shift the greater Hollywood industry to a more creative path again and get off the remake line.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #185 on: May 19, 2016, 07:29:28 AM

That's one of the things Marvel got right that Warners really really didn't fucking understand. They just saw "SUPERHERO GENRE MAKES BUH-BUH-BILLIONS!" and thought any fuckhead suit could run the show. Hence the reason a superhero-hating twat like David Goyer continues to be hired to do superheroes. Turns out having some sympathy with the genre actually makes genre movies that are more palatable to that genre's fans. Who knew?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: May 19, 2016, 10:02:00 AM

Hey at least CW is doing a 4 way crossover event next season.  That's pretty much better than the DC movies right there.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: DC "Universe" thread.  
Jump to: