Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:23:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: DC "Universe" thread. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DC "Universe" thread.  (Read 43081 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 08:25:27 PM

fake edit: fuck it, never mind, I let a troll get to me
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:28:25 PM by Hutch »

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 10:20:14 AM

Eh, I can totally see a treatment of Martian Manhunter that works, but he's the character who would have to be the least like his comic-book incarnation. He can't be Superman but also with telepathy and shape-changing and the ability to pass through walls, etc.

Stealthy shape-changing alien w/limited telepathy who doesn't understand most of what he 'reads' in minds but who is very engaged by television and movies and adopts the persona of a tough film noir detective? That works. Then when he sees Superman on TV, thinks, "I could be a superhero!", but it's the comic-book idealization that he is emulating--sort of like the Iron Giant at the very end of that film. Makes him a bit childlike--he's always acting like what he sees in stories and fictions, and recoils when he comes up against how complex and ambiguous human beings really are. Basically riffing off of Starman/Brother From Another Planet/Man Who Fell to Earth template.

There's always a way to make a character work. It's just a question of in what way and at what length. This version of Martian Manhunter, for example, is not a tentpole character--he can't sustain a whole film. He's just a character for the major guys to rub off of or contrast against. Lots of DC characters are like that--Booster Gold is a good example. Only in comic-books or a one-off DCAU episode could that character sustain close attention, because he only makes sense as a thematic variation within a crowded superhero universe. But in a sparser cinematic world, you could have him as a bit character onscreen for five minutes, basically as a Captain Amazing in Mystery Men, against whom the more earnest, authentic or "real" superheroes are distinct.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 11:53:17 AM

Martian Manhunter could work, but he works best as the heart and soul of a thriving Justice League. Plus, he's the perfect vehicle for product placement of Oreos.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 12:10:11 PM

I never liked Martian Manhunter. All* the comics I read with him growing up had him at some point cowering in fear cause of fire.

* Maybe a slight exaggeration, maybe
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 03:14:48 PM

DC released their movie dates.  Obviously not much is here, the only best guess I can give is Nov. 16th 2018 is Justice League.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - March 25th 2016
Untitled DC Film - August 5th 2016
Untitled DC Film - June 23rd 2017
Untitled DC Film - November 17th 2017
Untitled DC Film - March 23rd 2018
Untitled DC Film - July 27th 2018
Untitled WB Event Film - November 16th 2018
Untitled DC Film - April 5th 2019
Untitled DC Film - June 14th 2019
Untitled DC Film - April 3rd 2020
Untitled DC Film - June 19th 2020
Untitled WB Event Film - November 20th 2020
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 03:28:08 PM

Oh ya.. biggest thing here.  DC flinched and move their date for BatVSupes.  So Cap 3 wins.   awesome, for real
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 03:29:34 PM

DC released their movie dates.  Obviously not much is here, the only best guess I can give is Nov. 16th 2018 is Justice League.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - March 25th 2016
Untitled DC Film - August 5th 2016
Untitled DC Film - June 23rd 2017
Untitled DC Film - November 17th 2017
Untitled DC Film - March 23rd 2018
Untitled DC Film - July 27th 2018
Untitled WB Event Film - November 16th 2018
Untitled DC Film - April 5th 2019
Untitled DC Film - June 14th 2019
Untitled DC Film - April 3rd 2020
Untitled DC Film - June 19th 2020
Untitled WB Event Film - November 20th 2020

This is possibly the most precious thing I have seen in a while.  If even half these films get made I will be shocked.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 06:15:54 PM

If any of them aren't atrocious I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 06:21:15 PM

Ok rumor is that those WB "Event Films" are actually the two new Harry Potter Universe movies.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 06:34:50 PM

Ok rumor is that those WB "Event Films" are actually the two new Harry Potter Universe movies.

I... what... I don't even...

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 07:51:54 PM

That would possibly make sense.  I vaguely recall hearing about movies being made based around "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. by Newt Scamander", one of the books Harry and crew had for their Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 06, 2014, 07:57:32 PM

So, they're trying to copy Marvel but have exactly 1 movie on there with a title? This isn't going to end well for them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:09:49 PM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 06, 2014, 08:00:23 PM

That would possibly make sense.  I vaguely recall hearing about movies being made based around "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. by Newt Scamander", one of the books Harry and crew had for their Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

Yep this, it's a new trilogy even.  I guess Rowling needs another billion dollars.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 06, 2014, 08:21:19 PM

So, they're trying to copy Marvel but have exactly 1 movie on there with a title? This isn't going to end well for them.

It's just a scribble to get the hype train going, Marvel announces a 6 year plans so no they do too.  It literally means nothing and likely the entire thing is made up.  If you honestly believe they have even thgought of what movies to put on those dates I have a bridge to sell you.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 03, 2014, 02:16:19 PM

The Rock is officially Black Adam.  Too bad he's in the DC Universe though.   why so serious?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #50 on: September 03, 2014, 05:50:25 PM

Heh.

Also, which one of you wrote this rehash of the DC and Marvel threads?
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-signs-dc-comics-has-no-clue-how-to-make-superhero-movies_p2/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=fanpage&utm_campaign=new+article&wa_ibsrc=fanpage

Bastard, you owe us all a portion of your few hundred bucks.

Also, I hadn't read this quote before but Fuck you, Zach Snyder.

I think that, honestly, the thing I was surprised about in response to Superman was how everyone clings to the Christopher Reeve version of Superman, you know? How tightly they cling to those ideas ... I really wanted to show the violence is real, people get killed or get hurt, and it's not fun or funny. And I guess for me, it was like I wanted a hero in Superman that was a real hero and sort of reflected the world we live in now.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:53:03 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: September 03, 2014, 05:56:01 PM

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that DC 'doesn't get it'.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 03, 2014, 07:16:39 PM

That quote is probably posted in some marvel execs office and pointed to when some writer says they should go grimdark before that writer is smacked upside the head.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 08:15:00 PM

Seriously. That's embarassing. It's like someone being assigned to My Little Pony and saying, "We need to think about what happens to horses when they die, about glue factories and rendering plants and so on. That's realistic: horses die eventually."

Superman is the character you go grimdark on? Superman? The character that makes you think, "It's time for some REALISM, yeah, that's the ticket"?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 08:16:23 PM

New Line president Toby Emmerich spoke with Entertainment Weekly today, and he revealed why that is the case:.

"It feels to me like Shazam will have a tone unto itself. It's a DC comic, but it's not a Justice League character, and it's not a Marvel comic. The tone and the feeling of the movie will be different from the other range of comic book movies. (It) will have a sense of fun and a sense of humor. But the stakes have to be real."

Well that's actually better than it being part of the DC universe.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 03, 2014, 08:38:35 PM

Stand alone shazam from dc with the rock being a charismatic villain? You know, there's a glimmer of hope there.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 07:08:01 AM

They must have watched Guardians of the Galaxy and had a light bulb flicker on.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: September 04, 2014, 07:56:40 AM

Stand alone shazam from dc with the rock being a charismatic villain? You know, there's a glimmer of hope there.

Yeah, this. Trying to make Shazam grimdark will be a HUGE failure. They will completely destroy his goofy costume, they won't refer to him as the Big Red Cheese or anything of the sort. FFS, one of Shazam's main villains is a goddamn super-intelligent caterpillar. That shouldn't exist in the Man of Steel's world.

Also, that Cracked article nailed my problems with the DC Universe stuff in relation to the color palette. Gray. GRAY GRAY GRAY. DRAB AND BORING.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 04, 2014, 08:12:59 AM

Though the current Shazam in New 52 is sort of grimdark (and he sucks) and DC's experimented before New 52 with a darker Shazam, and that sucked too. (And a darker Mr. Mind, actually, who sort of worked...)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #59 on: October 15, 2014, 01:23:34 PM

DC announces slate of movies.

And this is really stupid.

2016: Suicide Squad (directed by David Ayer)
2017: Wonder Woman (starring Gal Gadot)
2017: Justice League Part One (directed by Zack Snyder)
2018 The Flash (starring Ezra Miller)
2018: Aquaman (starring Jason Momoa)
2019: Shazam
2019: Justice League Part Two (directed by Zack Snyder)
2020: Cyborg (starring Ray Fisher)
2020: Green Lantern

I really think separating the cinematic Flash from the TV Flash will be a bad idea, and I do not like the twerp they have to play the Flash. Also, Suicide Squad? Again, we already have that established in the TV-verse.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 15, 2014, 01:59:00 PM

DC is getting jealous watching Marvel swim around in pools of cash.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 02:09:57 PM

I don't think separating tv and movie universe is that big of a deal.

The serial aspect is a bone marvel throw for geeks like us. Most movie goers watch films individually without caring about the collector or the next/last Batman or whatever.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: October 15, 2014, 02:17:32 PM

DC is just throwing stuff together as fast as possible to compete against the MCU.  I mean they weren't even thinking about Justice League stuff til after Man of Steel.  Even with Arrow and Flash pulling in decent audiences they aren't going to take their time and work around all the TV stuff now.  Remember they also have Constantine and Gotham out there, let alone the Teen Titans thing in development.  Marvel took their time at the beginning and branched out afterwards with their TV stuff.  I don't think anyone is gonna do as well as they have so far.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 16, 2014, 03:47:55 PM

Facepalm  DO NOT WANT
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #64 on: October 16, 2014, 03:55:38 PM

DC announces slate of movies.

And this is really stupid.

2016: Suicide Squad (directed by David Ayer)
2017: Wonder Woman (starring Gal Gadot)
2017: Justice League Part One (directed by Zack Snyder)
2018 The Flash (starring Ezra Miller)
2018: Aquaman (starring Jason Momoa)
2019: Shazam
2019: Justice League Part Two (directed by Zack Snyder)
2020: Cyborg (starring Ray Fisher)
2020: Green Lantern

I really think separating the cinematic Flash from the TV Flash will be a bad idea, and I do not like the twerp they have to play the Flash. Also, Suicide Squad? Again, we already have that established in the TV-verse.

I like how they're doing Green Lantern last, presumably to give people that much more time to forget about the last attempt. Also I'm curious how quickly they'll change plans when Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman all tank.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 16, 2014, 04:17:57 PM

For reasons I don't understand I want these movies to fail and fail spectacularly. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 16, 2014, 05:02:00 PM

Well wonder woman will do well if only because it's so iconic and it will bring people out to see it.  Aquaman on the other hand is going to be el failure spectacular.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #67 on: October 16, 2014, 10:53:38 PM

Facepalm  DO NOT WANT
Is it just me, or do the tiara and earrings looks like they were (poorly) photoshopped?

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 16, 2014, 11:01:38 PM

The pic is also from 2013, its from when she was first announced I think. 
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: October 17, 2014, 12:29:56 AM

Is it just me, or do the tiara and earrings looks like they were (poorly) photoshopped?

--Dave
[/quote]

Yeah, and the hair has been shopped as well.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: DC "Universe" thread.  
Jump to: