Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:30:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Healthism!!11 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Healthism!!11  (Read 63899 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: June 04, 2014, 09:36:03 AM

Fucking Healthism.

Soooooooooooo... in other words, no.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:22:38 PM by Samwise »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:25:10 AM

No doctor is signing off on that.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:34:22 AM

The delusion of some people astonishes me. I need to lose 30 pounds, I call them my 30s gut and love handles (which are melting slowly through mildly better eating and more exercise). I am miles away from the type of fat that some of those people are and I don't even consider myself close to healthy at the moment.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 11:28:10 AM

The trainer's question was the correct one. The fatty was just dodging the question why so serious?

I.e. you can be overweight and healthy and you can be skinny and unhealthy.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:32:02 AM

Nothing she said was untrue, though. Why do we need a fitness trainer to tell us what he thinks about a woman being happy with her body? Fat people are happy being fat, good on them. We're not the body police.
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:09:51 PM

Nothing she said was untrue, though. Why do we need a fitness trainer to tell us what he thinks about a woman being happy with her body? Fat people are happy being fat, good on them. We're not the body police.

He said fantastic that they were happy. Then he asked a more serious, clinical question having to do with healthiness as assessed by a doctor - which was dodged like steamed broccoli.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 12:26:16 PM

The trainer's question was the correct one. The fatty was just dodging the question why so serious?

I.e. you can be overweight and healthy and you can be skinny and unhealthy.

Hey, to be fair, it's the only fucking thing she's capable of dodging.
Source: I'ma fatty too!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 01:09:35 PM

Are we just going to ignore Healthism, then?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 01:14:36 PM

Then he asked a more serious, clinical question having to do with healthiness as assessed by a doctor - which was dodged like steamed broccoli.

Which is also none of his fucking business since he isn't her trainer and ain't paying to put the food in her mouth.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 01:15:09 PM

He said fantastic that they were happy. Then he asked a more serious, clinical question having to do with healthiness as assessed by a doctor - which was dodged like steamed broccoli.

I think the point is more that we don't go around asking thin people if their health has been assessed by a doctor.  
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 01:22:05 PM

I refuse to assign fat people protected group status. There has to be somebody left over for us to hate on after all the other options have been removed.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 01:24:35 PM

A while back I suggested that we establish a threshold whereby if X posts have been made in a picture thread discussing a picture, a new thread is split out so we can continue posting pictures in the picture thread.  Someone suggested 10.  I like that number.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The trainer was asked for his professional opinion (as someone whose job is helping people to get healthy) on her weight.  He asked if she's in good health.  I guess that makes him a monster?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 01:33:24 PM

Health-ism is a pretty fucking stupid word, no matter how fat or thin you are.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 01:41:14 PM

I am sure that most people who degrade other people over their body weight are just expressing concerned about that person's health.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:44:19 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 01:45:14 PM

Fat unattractive person does have a point though.  We're all going to fucking die, so what the fuck does it matter?

It would only really matter in a healthcare discussion and I'm not sure anyone here gives a shit enough to have another one of those.  Especially when we can more easily beat up the fucking smokers instead of the fatties.

I think, though, the way Aryan Douchebag phrased the question was hugely unhelpful.  The correct answer would be 'Yes, I'm glad she's happy.  I think people who are healthy and happy are aces.'

And then let the much more subtle point sink slowly into the rolls and rolls of blubber and whale-oil.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 01:45:44 PM

which was dodged like steamed broccoli.

Properly steamed broccoli is delicious  Eat
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 01:46:40 PM

My take is that it's your own business how highly you prioritize your own health, but don't be a bullshitter.

Like, don't say you're perfectly happy with your weight and then complain about how much your knees hurt when you walk as if that's being caused by fucking space wizards rather than simple physics.  You just value doughnuts more than you value not being in pain is all.  That's perfectly valid.

I'd like to weigh about ten pounds less and am having a hell of a time getting there because having dropped forty-some pounds from my max I've reached the point where I don't give quite enough fucks to keep making the sacrifices necessary to continue losing weight.  That equilibrium is a little different for everyone.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:48:57 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 01:51:25 PM

The trainer was asked for his professional opinion (as someone whose job is helping people to get healthy) on her weight.  He asked if she's in good health.  I guess that makes him a monster?

It makes him a guy who's probably tired of morbidly obese people pretending they don't have a problem (either mental or physical). Plus he was asked a question, and he answered it. Probably nicer than most would.

Can you be happy at any body type? Absolutely. But you can't be healthy at every body type. You can absolutely be too fat or too thin. You can also be in denial. There are mental disorders on both ends of that spectrum, let alone the physical damage to the body. There's a reason you don't see many 300 pound 80 year olds.

But let's also be honest, who enjoys watching a fat person be really smug about how they are fat?

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 01:54:18 PM

Counterpoint : Gym sessions have allowed me this very day to get back into my old 32's, which is rather awesome.

I've hated every fucking minute of it and will continue to hate it and do it because I quite like not dying suddenly clutching at my chest, which is, as you all know, a Scottish hobby.

And I've never really been 'big' in the traditional sense (I'm about a quarter of Jabba up there, I'd say).  It's less about Equilibrium of size and more to do with an understanding of how the environment that surrounds you will just kill you.  I mean, seriously, has the woman in question checked or considered diabetes and other lifestyle shit ?  It's not all throwing people into the Pit of Carcoon.

Or is the original show just about image and nooky ?  If so, who cares.  Men will pretty much fuck anything.  They're scum that way.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 01:55:40 PM

It's not all throwing people into the Pit of Carcoon.

Heart

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 01:56:51 PM

To me it's basically like watching someone walk around with a knife to their own throat and acting like everything is just fine.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 01:57:47 PM

Where's this from? Why was this lady being interviewed? I'd need context around being asked about her health versus that of a thin person.

Her response to his question seems like she's throwing up a bullshit smoke screen -- Healthism! If she's happy but ignorant to any health issues, that might be something she wants to get right on.

It seems to me that taking care of yourself *is* a moral obligation in the same way it is a moral obligation not to drink and drive. Isn't it about the risk / burden you create for others through your own decisions? In the case of fitness, staying within a reasonable level of health / fitness would reduce your risk of costly medical problems in the future, prolong life, etc.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:02 PM

Counterpoint : Gym sessions have allowed me this very day to get back into my old 32's, which is rather awesome.

Exactly the same for me, and also I have shoulders now which is a novelty. I've done it by beating people up with sticks rather than going to the gym though, which I can promise is 1000% more fun and helps with stress too (unless you get stressed out by an old guy telling you that you're pathetic I guess).

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 02:01:37 PM

Yeah, I've actually bulked up elsewhere, which is an added bonus.  It's just getting rid of the spare tyre.  Though if I'm brutally honest (and you know me, I am) this is more about supporting the Wife who's really unhappy about where she is and wanting to sort it.  I guess that's probably another reason I'm not really as smitten with it, even if the results are good.

Anyway, this isn't my fucking blog.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:30 PM

Very few people like working out. I'm certainly not one of them. I still do it too. But you can not work out and be just fine in the overall health sense, as long as you are mobile.

However, you don't get to be huge due to just not working out. You get there by eating 5,000 calories a day.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 02:08:56 PM

The day the healthcare industry starts charging per pound I'll stop calling them a problem and judging them for their weight.  That woman weighs more than me, and I'm 40# over where I should be.  Yes I'm fat, yes I'm disgusted by it. Judge me, too.

Nobody who's fit should be subsidizing my healtcare premiums when I get "diabetus" and bad knees from the extra weight.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 02:21:31 PM

I think the point is more that we don't go around asking thin people if their health has been assessed by a doctor.  

Or the point is they specifically are talking to her. If they wanted to pull out a skinny person or slightly overweight person and get them agree to be on, then fine.

And besides, he is a supposed personal trainer. What the hell did they think he was going to ask? His work is getting people active and healthier. The first thing my buddies who are personal trainers ask is if the person has talked to a doctor and is ok for physical activity. If they ask Mike the barber, it would have been different I'd think.

Then again, talk show.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 02:23:59 PM

This splitting-off Threadism is offensive to those of us who stand for Smaller Threadcounts and Less Moderator Oversight.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 02:25:26 PM

Entirely justified.  Sam is the enema in the colon of Picture threads.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 02:29:03 PM

This splitting-off Threadism is offensive to those of us who stand for Smaller Threadcounts and Less Moderator Oversight.
Smaller Threadcounts And Minimal OverSight.

"Me am play gods"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 02:31:52 PM

I almost split and denned this post, but I'm not sure everyone would understand my subtle brand of humor.   why so serious?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 02:58:03 PM

Huh?  Ironwood has a fucking blog?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 03:12:25 PM

Yes.  It's had no updates in 16 years.  Marriage, eh ?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 06:29:49 PM

Where's this from? Why was this lady being interviewed? I'd need context around being asked about her health versus that of a thin person.

Her response to his question seems like she's throwing up a bullshit smoke screen -- Healthism! If she's happy but ignorant to any health issues, that might be something she wants to get right on.

It seems to me that taking care of yourself *is* a moral obligation in the same way it is a moral obligation not to drink and drive. Isn't it about the risk / burden you create for others through your own decisions? In the case of fitness, staying within a reasonable level of health / fitness would reduce your risk of costly medical problems in the future, prolong life, etc.

An Australian television program called Insight, which is a moderator lead discussion of an issue, with a crowd of invested and interested people (professionals, patients, etc).
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 07:30:05 PM

Fat unattractive person does have a point though.  We're all going to fucking die, so what the fuck does it matter?

As a fat unattractive person I used to think like that too, till I started falling asleep while commuting for no reason, and having problems going to sleep at night.
High blood pressure, shortness of breath. Everyone dies, yes, but I don't wanna live like that.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Healthism!!11  
Jump to: