Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:09:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Mythic Entertainment closed 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mythic Entertainment closed  (Read 33811 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

on: May 29, 2014, 12:02:45 PM

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=827410

Not gonna link directly to Kotaku, but:

EA has shut down Mythic, the longtime video game studio most recently responsible for Warhammer Online and the Dungeon Keeper reboot for mobile platforms.

When reached by Kotaku, EA sent over the following statement:

We are closing the EA Mythic location in Fairfax, Virginia, as we concentrate mobile development in our other studio locations. We are working with all impacted employees to provide assistance in finding new opportunities, either within EA or with other companies via an upcoming job fair.
Founded in 1995, Mythic also developed Dark Age of Camelot and a number of other games.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:04:13 PM

Didn't think they were still doing anything.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:07:13 PM

Didn't think they were still doing anything.

Yeah really... Warhammer was the last thing I heard out of that studio.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

No tears from me after WAR. They didn't deserve to be a studio anymore.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 12:19:12 PM

Was only a matter of time.  Though as a Dungeon Keeper player, I ponder who will take up the reigns now.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:29:50 PM

Shocking news that not a single person could have seen coming.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 12:52:20 PM

Shocking news that not a single person could have seen coming. warned Mark Jacobs of in multiple posts on this forum when the deal was signed.

For more accurate snarkiness.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 12:59:42 PM

Like Warhammer Online, I'm surprised they lasted this long.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 01:21:09 PM

Another fantastic acquisition that flourished under EA's leadership and management.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 01:25:28 PM

Another fantastic acquisition that flourished under EA's leadership and management.

Heart

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 01:31:00 PM

Was only a matter of time.  Though as a Dungeon Keeper player, I ponder who will take up the reigns now.

Zynga!
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 01:40:41 PM

I'm not a fan of EA, but the fact is they gave Mythic every opportunity to succeed. They supported WAR development for many years. It was a fantastic license and was extremely well promoted upon release. Mythic wasn't Origin; EA didn't kill them then rape the corpse. Mythic was the agent of its own destruction.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 01:45:13 PM

Mythic was the agent of its own destruction.

This.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 03:43:27 PM

I like how they state that Mythic wasn't the 'makers of' but was responsible for WHO and the mobile Dungeon Keeper.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 03:48:32 PM

Mythic should've closed after Trials of Atlantis, let alone WAR.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 03:54:02 PM

Bring back Imperator, beyotches!

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 04:06:08 PM

I bet Paul Barnett still has a job awesome, for real
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 04:09:53 PM

Fordel wanted that game so bad.

God Save the Horn Players
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 05:41:03 PM

I wonder who's gonna hire Paul Barnett to be Bez again.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 06:08:52 PM

Fordel wanted that game so bad.

I really did, but it's probably for the best it never came to be. It would have only left me with sadness and tears.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 06:10:43 PM

So much hate for Mythic.  Warhammer was flawed, but still better than a lot of the garbage that has released since.  I had a good 6 months worth of fun playing WAR and 6 years worth playing DAoC.  That's more than I can say for most dev houses. 

Barnett needs to find a job as a carnival barker.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 06:22:23 PM

No hate for WAR. Still the best first 20 levels I ever played. Will probably always be. That is, like you said, better than most shit that comes out.

I do detest Barnett though.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 06:25:54 PM

Mythic did the best lady dwarves. :(

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 06:29:26 PM

So much hate for Mythic.  Warhammer was flawed, but still better than a lot of the garbage that has released since.  I had a good 6 months worth of fun playing WAR and 6 years worth playing DAoC.  That's more than I can say for most dev houses. 

WAR was flawed in the exact same way DaoC was flawed, to the point where I never even bothered to try it, since it was obvious Mythic had learned NOTHING. WAR just followed DaoC's game plan on a accelerated timeline. They managed to fuck it all up even FASTER then their original game!  why so serious?

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 10:20:36 PM

I had a good 6 months worth of fun playing WAR

Dude, did you enter a 5.5 month coma while logged in or something? How?!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 10:36:34 PM

WAR was flawed in the exact same way DaoC was flawed, to the point where I never even bothered to try it, since it was obvious Mythic had learned NOTHING. WAR just followed DaoC's game plan on a accelerated timeline. They managed to fuck it all up even FASTER then their original game!  why so serious?

This is essentially why I bailed on WAR so fast. I enjoyed the first 20 levels or so, but definitely knew I had danced that dance before, and had no real intention of doing it again.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 10:37:14 PM

Dude, did you enter a 5.5 month coma while logged in or something? How?!

I played the hell out of the first two battlegrounds with friends and leveled one toon to 50 to see how broken it was. 

-  Mark Twain
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 10:50:36 PM

Mythic did the best lady dwarves. :(

This.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 11:26:47 PM

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 04:21:22 AM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 07:13:02 AM

Mythic seconds.
The game was shit and broken for the most part.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 09:35:41 AM

I feel bad in a vague nostalgia sort of way, but I can't say that their demise wasn't just. I knew the first time they said they were going to gather "metrics" that War had no future and they hadn't learned a thing. They thought they could pull the same stuff with War they had with DAOC and the world had moved on.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 10:05:21 AM

They thought they could pull the same stuff with War they had with DAOC and the world had moved on.

This makes no sense to me.  WAR was nothing like DAOC.  Nothing at all.  The mistakes they made in WAR were very different mistakes.  If anything, they made the same error as every other game that came out around the time of WAR.  They were trying too hard to emulate WoW. 

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 10:10:59 AM

Not the game, their way of doing business.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 12:46:18 PM

This.

And it really wouldn't have mattered had they not got bought out. WAR would have been a relatively narrow title for the subset of RvR seekers who finally outgrew DAoC but continue to be a proven sustainable market.

Unfortunately, once they opened the marketing floodgates, all expectations become unmanageably unrealistic. This made WAR seem like a big failure when in reality it never should have been considered as a potential big success in the first place. There just wasn't any precedent that said they could go from a competently built title with some appeal into this mass market multi-mode multi-audience experience in the space of exactly one game.

Basically, I don't blame Mythic at all. I blame the expectations they inherited.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Mythic Entertainment closed  
Jump to: