Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014 (Brazil) SPOILERS: Read at own risk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014 (Brazil) SPOILERS: Read at own risk  (Read 137775 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: July 13, 2014, 05:53:45 PM

This is great, now everyone in America can shut the fuck up and stop pretending to care about the world cup for 4 more years.

Same as the olympics.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #876 on: July 13, 2014, 07:24:20 PM

This is great, now everyone in America can shut the fuck up and stop pretending to care about the world cup for 4 more years.
Same as the olympics.
Unlike soccer, does ANY country give a fuck about the olympics outside of during the olympics?
WayAbvPar

Reply #877 on: July 13, 2014, 09:59:22 PM

Or you could put some salve on your stingy genitals and just don't watch it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #878 on: July 13, 2014, 10:23:25 PM

This.  Soccer can go back to being followed by Europeans and the 3rd world for another 4 years.

The world plays football. Americans and Australians try to play something called "soccer" at the world every four years and lose badly.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #879 on: July 13, 2014, 10:25:27 PM

Heh, "Socceroos".

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #880 on: July 13, 2014, 10:29:53 PM

The world plays football. Americans and Australians try to play something called "soccer" at the world every four years and lose badly.

You have to admit, for soccer being like the 40th most popular sport in America, they went further in the world cup than some countries where it's number one. 

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #881 on: July 13, 2014, 10:34:15 PM

You have to admit, for soccer being like the 40th most popular sport in America, they went further in the world cup than some countries where it's number one. 

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

But it's also the third-most played sport in the US. In Australia it's actually the number one played sport, but likewise dwarfed by other sports in TV coverage and fan base.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: July 13, 2014, 11:23:42 PM

Canada is ranked 110th in the world and more people play soccer here than hockey.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: July 14, 2014, 01:50:01 AM

There's also 310 million people in the USA, Belgium has 11...
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: July 14, 2014, 02:20:42 AM

Games like these are why I despise soccer (even as an European). The referee has too much power with his limited point of view, but we in front of the TV see more and are annoyed by wrong decisions. I only saw parts of the second half but when the German goalie fouled the Argentinian player (seen clear as day on the video replay) and the Argentinian gets the blame instead of a (maybe game deciding) penalty kick, I knew again why this game is stupid in a digtal age and turned it off.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: July 14, 2014, 02:24:12 AM

Canada is ranked 110th in the world and more people play soccer here than hockey.

Soccer costs about $50-$100 a year.  Hockey can cost upwards of $1000 or more.  Guess which one people will throw their kids into if they don't have/want to save money?  If costs were comparable, which do you think more Canadian parents would put their kids into?  People play soccer in Canada (and probably the US) mostly because: a) they come from a country where soccer is popular, b) because its cheaper than other organized sports.  The retention of interest after they're done playing as kids is low.  Not as low as it use to be but the interest is still low.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #886 on: July 14, 2014, 02:28:43 AM

This.  Soccer can go back to being followed by Europeans and the 3rd world for another 4 years.

If you want to be pedantic, both "football" and "soccer" are a shortening/derivation of the proper name for the sport: Association Football.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #887 on: July 14, 2014, 02:30:51 AM

There's also 310 million people in the USA, Belgium has 11...

Its the same reason why Canada generally does better than the US in hockey and has more players in the NHL (over 50% of NHL players are Canadian, around 20% are Americans) than anyone else.  The nation has most of its elite athletes involved in one sport.  The US is good at pretty much every major sport but may not dominate or excel like nations such as Belgium does in soccer or Canada in hockey.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #888 on: July 14, 2014, 03:37:09 AM

Games like these are why I despise soccer (even as an European). The referee has too much power with his limited point of view, but we in front of the TV see more and are annoyed by wrong decisions. I only saw parts of the second half but when the German goalie fouled the Argentinian player (seen clear as day on the video replay) and the Argentinian gets the blame instead of a (maybe game deciding) penalty kick, I knew again why this game is stupid in a digtal age and turned it off.

Hahahaha, no.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: July 14, 2014, 03:56:20 AM

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

But it definitely wasn't a  free kick for the Germans.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #890 on: July 14, 2014, 04:12:40 AM

Yea thats cute. Running into the keeper isn't foul.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: July 14, 2014, 04:18:24 AM

Kneeing somebody in the head should be, though.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #892 on: July 14, 2014, 04:23:50 AM

This.  Soccer can go back to being followed by Europeans and the 3rd world for another 4 years.

Nah, it is pretty much Europe, the third world, and Latin America (large parts of which really aren't "third world").   awesome, for real

What I do find interesting, the more I travel, is the crazy growth in the popularity of Basketball.  Looks like its turning into the next "global" sport.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:26:12 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #893 on: July 14, 2014, 04:26:16 AM

Kneeing somebody in the head should be, though.

Yes because he did it on purpose.  Facepalm   The foul on Higuan wasn't needed but it was in no way a penalty.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: July 14, 2014, 04:28:30 AM

The point (which you ignoring) is that it wasn't a foul against Neuer.

And I see it as an indication that the current method is insufficient to make fair rulings. They need to incoproprate video evidence in their rulings instead of gut feelings and what a referee might or might not have seen on the field. This will also end all those people falling down and pretending they are hurt because an opposite player was near them.

Which thankfully both the Germans and the Argentinians didn't do.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:36:35 AM by Tebonas »
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: July 14, 2014, 04:40:39 AM

Actually by FIFA rules that is a foul, it's called obstruction. That ball was always Neuers and Higuain did his very best to obstruct his path. Hence foul.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #896 on: July 14, 2014, 04:47:56 AM

No it isn't, because the ball wasn't more than 3 feet away from Higuain.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: July 14, 2014, 04:54:40 AM

It's a lot different when a keeper is involved. If you impede the keeper trying to catch or punch a ball it's obstruction, or 'impeding the keeper', not sure what the official term is, sorry.

I thought the ref was fairly flawless yesterday, definitely the best refereeing I've seen in a final since Pierluigi Collina.

EDIT: Just looked it up as I was curious.

"It is an offence to restrict the movement of the goalkeeper by unfairly impeding him."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:13:09 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #898 on: July 14, 2014, 06:22:00 AM

I like following the Whitecaps...

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #899 on: July 14, 2014, 06:23:46 AM

Basically the movement of the goalkeeper inside the box is privileged especially when he moves to the ball or handles the ball. If it weren't then every other move to handle the ball or parry a shot on goal would lead to a penalty and the goalie would basically always get bum-rushed by the opponent's offense to smack the ball out of his hands. It would also be a huge risk of injury since a goal keeper is actively moving in the path of a running player.

Try making a standing jump without using your legs to get additional momentum, try to catch a ball in the penalty box when you have to compete against others players or move at the ball to prevent a goal. Every of those situations could lead to a penalty or cards if the goalkeepers actions weren't somewhat privileged and sanctioned. Strikers would always try to get the foul if that was handled similar to offensive fouls in say basketball.

The rules are clear. You don't interfere with the goalkeeper's actions when he is inside his own box.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:07 AM

Soccer costs about $50-$100 a year.  Hockey can cost upwards of $1000 or more.  Guess which one people will throw their kids into if they don't have/want to save money?  If costs were comparable, which do you think more Canadian parents would put their kids into?  People play soccer in Canada (and probably the US) mostly because: a) they come from a country where soccer is popular, b) because its cheaper than other organized sports.  The retention of interest after they're done playing as kids is low.  Not as low as it use to be but the interest is still low.

yeah my high school was relatively small and the only sport we had were soccer teams. Soccer fans shouldn't toss those numbers around when it's been shown to be relatively meaningless.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #901 on: July 14, 2014, 06:48:33 AM

I bet there are several people on this board who played soccer growing up, probably stopped by high school, or if they didn't stop they did by college where they just played on their intermural teams instead of anything competitive.

The pull to play in sports that are respected or matter in America is pretty high. At some point kids have to choose, and there are three viable American sports already.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #902 on: July 14, 2014, 11:01:47 AM

The reffing was great, fucking crazytown that people are bitching about it.

Argentina without Di Maria is half the team it is with him. Subbing off Lavezzi may have cost them the game, was he hurt? Argentina definitely should have won that game, match up wise this contest completely favored them especially 0-0 into extra time. If not for German Kobe aka Schweinsteiger aka MVP of the finals...

It was great though that Argentina saved some of their best and most entertaining football for the final. I had hated watching them up to that game so much. Great final, a joy to watch. Good for Germany, I'm a big fan of that team except Lahm and Muller, god Muller is a talented douche.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: July 14, 2014, 11:14:15 AM

After the game, Muller said something to the press that amounted to "yeah, when someone as big a person as I am is at a lost for words, you know it's a big deal"

So apparently, he is a huge douche.

As a side note, I am struggling with the fact that they gave Messi the Golden Boot.  I don't think he was the best player in this world cup.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: July 14, 2014, 11:19:28 AM

As a side note, I am struggling with the fact that they gave Messi the Golden Boot.  I don't think he was the best player in this world cup.

Maradona commented that Messi didn't look like he even wanted the award. 

Quote from: Diego Maradona
But when marketing people want him to win something he didn't [deserve to] win, it is unfair.

He claims it was for marketing reasons.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #905 on: July 14, 2014, 11:22:30 AM

The only way I can see Messi getting the Golden Ball is because he is arguably the best player in the world and he did have a direct effect on getting Argentina into the knock-out stages. That is it. I agree he wasn't the best player in the tournament and I think even he would agree.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #906 on: July 14, 2014, 11:22:37 AM

Should have been Rodriguez. He carried Colombia. I could even seen Neuer...he was a beast as well. But Messi was very average.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #907 on: July 14, 2014, 11:29:06 AM

Yeah, Messi came through in some clutch moments, but he absolutely should not have gotten the Golden Ball. Rodriguez, Schweinsteiger, Muller, Lahm, Hummels - any of those guys had as much impact if not more than Messi did.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: July 14, 2014, 11:29:46 AM

I would have given it to Neuer...but goalies have their own reward.  Can they also with the Golden Ball?

I would have also given it to Robben before Messi.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #909 on: July 14, 2014, 12:09:22 PM

I would have given it to Neuer...but goalies have their own reward.  Can they also with the Golden Ball?

I would have also given it to Robben before Messi.

Goalies can win both awards. Personally I think Howard was a better Golden Glove candidate. Golden Ball is a bit more open but Messi wouldn't even be in my top 5 for this tournament.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014 (Brazil) SPOILERS: Read at own risk  
Jump to: