Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:59:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Gotham 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gotham  (Read 28360 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

on: May 06, 2014, 12:24:38 PM

So I really, really thought we had a thread for this, but I can't find it.

Anyway :  Trailer.

I dunno.  Really.  It seems to not fit somehow. 

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:31:38 PM

I want to like this. I'm not sure I will, but I want to.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:43:51 PM

This is just not appealing to me.  I've never once said to myself "Self, I really wish I could have a show based on Jim Gordon."
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 01:20:16 PM

I was interested until I noticed "young batman character 1,2,3,4,5,6....."  it's like they started out wanting to do something original and then someone said "fuck that, just make this the batman version of smallville"

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 01:23:31 PM

Yeah, having Young Catwoman there made me really, really suspicious as to the quality.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 01:42:21 PM

Also agreed.  Had a little bit of interest until they brought in young Bruce.  Then the closing of young Batman, Catwoman, Penguin, etc. just convinced me this will be awful.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 01:43:27 PM

One of the best Batman stories ever is pretty much a Jim Gordon story - Year One.  However, I'm leaning towards not bothering with this and waiting to catch it down the road if it survives.  It just isn't grabbing me.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 02:08:28 PM

This looks like it has elements of Year One combined with some of what they've done with Arrow, then mixed up and Fox-ified because... Fox. Young Catwoman I could have done without but I like the rest.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 03:02:32 PM

Jim Henson's Batman Babies.

Pass.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 03:10:33 PM

Was that Bill Rawls as the mayor?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 03:35:31 PM

I was interested until I noticed "young batman character 1,2,3,4,5,6....."  it's like they started out wanting to do something original and then someone said "fuck that, just make this the batman version of smallville"

Pretty much. Smallville was essentially a 10 year origin story for a version of Superman that doesn't mesh with any version of Superman from the comics or movies. Gotham looks like a show about the origins of Batman and a bunch of his villains which by necessity will end before any of them get to actually do anything interesting. Also with Jim Gordon in generic crime drama.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 04:12:18 PM

This looks like it has elements of Year One combined with some of what they've done with Arrow, then mixed up and Fox-ified because... Fox. Young Catwoman I could have done without but I like the rest.

This.

I never feel Jim Gordan gets the attention he deserves (we only get the Jim Gordon we deserve  why so serious?). He's a good character and if all they do is spend three seasons telling year one while throwing the occasional other-origin-story in there, I'm in.

I do hope all these characters don't evolve to their eventual hero/villain/ambivalent status all at once. Would be nice if that Catwoman sequence was from inspirational footage for season 2 or 3 for example.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 04:20:08 PM

This is on FOX, not CW, so it'll be lucky to survive a half season.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 04:40:22 PM

Shit. Right. Forgot that part. But then, maybe CW would pick it up when Fox drops it? Seems close enough (unlike, say, Almost Human which kinda doesn't have a home sadly).
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 04:47:55 PM

I liked Smallville, but yea, Trippy is right. This is gonna get 6 of its 23 episode run. The last episodes will be aired in Australia and I'll never get to see them.

RIP VERITAS: THE QUEST.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 05:15:22 PM

Smallville was a fucking epic disaster fail of a show with a few decent episodes here and there. (Schild is fighting hard to preserve his perfect record of having the wrong opinion about virtually all of popular culture except Dark Souls.) This is going to do the same thing that Smallville did: constantly cock-tease  the Batmanning of Bruce Wayne until six seasons later when he's done everything but had a child with Talia al-Ghul and then in the last episode it'll be "Father, I shall become a Bat", while the Martian Manhunter and Ace the Bat-Hound look on approvingly.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 06:27:07 PM

I'm not too excited by this.  It does look like Batman Babies.  If it's more Arrow than Smallville then I might check it out.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 07:58:30 PM

I actually liked the trailer and don't get the complaints about young Bruce Wayne, Catwoman, etc., as its somewhat required if you're doing a Gordon story from when he was young. I'll be giving the show a shot.

That said, I expect the show to either be crap, or descend into being crap because, well, Fox, and this is the sort of thing that's hard to pull off. Arrow was a complete surprise in it not being crap (though it has its moments) not just because of the genre, but.. well, CW. If that could work.. this might. But I doubt it, despite the trailer actually being decent.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 09:18:03 PM

It's difficult for me to judge this work on its own merits when I find myself forced to compare its status quo and quality to other Batman interpretations. I want to rip this thing apart, but I'll take a step back and say: it's not for me.

This does seem like the Batman version of Smallville, Arrow, Birds of Prey ... just, to me, utter shlock that amps up the Soap Opera in a realistic setting using the mythos as a springboard. Its realism is its greatest handicap for a fan of the comics -- but I don't think this is marketed for comic book fans?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 10:48:31 PM

As I am right now rewatching the final season of The Wire, yes it was.

I'm cautious about this. I hope they tone down the super hero cameos and make this about the mundane police as it should be. The trailer doesn't raise my hope they do, though.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 12:45:09 AM

Smallville worked as the second best superman interpretation because the origin and outsider elements are the only interesting thing about superman, but the opposite is true of Batman.

It'd be too much to hope for the Wire set in pre Batman Gotham, but that would in fact be pretty great.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 01:18:10 AM

I hope they tone down the super hero cameos and make this about the mundane police as it should be.

That would seem to fly in the face of a premise: create a made-for-TV police procedural emphasizing the drama that exploits the current popularity of superhero brands.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't this be D.C.'s attempt to get an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. of their own? It'd makes sense for reasons of competition alone. But it would continue the trend of DC's media efforts paling in comparison to Marvel's.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 01:23:42 AM

Well, with that potential comparison, all my tiny reservoir of enthusiasm drained.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 02:01:45 AM

I hope they tone down the super hero cameos and make this about the mundane police as it should be.

That would seem to fly in the face of a premise: create a made-for-TV police procedural emphasizing the drama that exploits the current popularity of superhero brands.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't this be D.C.'s attempt to get an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. of their own? It'd makes sense for reasons of competition alone. But it would continue the trend of DC's media efforts paling in comparison to Marvel's.

Except Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at least marginally ties into Marvel's movies. Gotham won't tie into DC's movies and won't even tie into their other T.V. shows. I haven't read too much about the show but right now my impression is that this isn't a show that DC came up with and shopped around, it's something FOX came up with and made a licensing deal with DC to do. I could be wrong about that though.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 03:03:11 AM

Mundane police dealing with super villains could be made to cash in on comic interest but still relatable, fresh, and deliverable on a tv budget. I am aware this is a description of what many hoped for from the Shield show.

Anyway, this seems more of a by the numbers producer play.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 03:52:37 AM

It's something FOX came up with and made a licensing deal with DC to do.

That's my take. Its extremely difficult for DC to do what Marvel do because of the constraints of their characters. Superheroics aside, Marvel's strengths seem to be about the characters and their interactions, not the costumes, whereas DC characters are about the costume, not the character. Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, and ... I'm drawing a blank on the other characters outside of costume and how there would be interesting interactions between them.

Cap and Black Widow. Cap and Tony. Tony and Bruce. Like, I can rattle off a lot more. These people play well off each other. I don't see that with DC characters.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 06:08:22 AM

If they were smart they cut the young versions of "blank" from the plot as soon as humanly possible. Otherwise its smallville.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 07:09:13 AM

Next week: Dick Grayson's fetus.

"Me am play gods"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 08:01:34 AM

Next week: Dick Grayson's fetus.

I will bet money Grayson's parents are in it at some point.  This is a show that will name drop each and every batman character they can. 

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 09:03:48 AM

Yeah, the flying Grayons are certainly going to be in it.  With probably a sex scene where they're less than cautious.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 10:10:03 AM

Their OBGYN will be Dr. Victor Friese.

schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 10:12:52 AM

Smallville was a fucking epic disaster fail of a show with a few decent episodes here and there. (Schild is fighting hard to preserve his perfect record of having the wrong opinion about virtually all of popular culture except Dark Souls.) This is going to do the same thing that Smallville did: constantly cock-tease  the Batmanning of Bruce Wayne until six seasons later when he's done everything but had a child with Talia al-Ghul and then in the last episode it'll be "Father, I shall become a Bat", while the Martian Manhunter and Ace the Bat-Hound look on approvingly.

Smallville has gotten basically infinite seasons. I know that doesn't mean it's good, but an actual Superman Show would've gotten like 2, max. He's a stupid one-dimensional awful shit-hero. Meanwhile Kristin Kreuk is ridiculously hot.

Edit: As far as this show goes, Donal Logue is like, the actual best possible generic white dude in a mystery series to cast.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:15:18 AM by schild »
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 10:15:02 AM

Smallville was a fucking epic disaster fail of a show with a few decent episodes here and there. (Schild is fighting hard to preserve his perfect record of having the wrong opinion about virtually all of popular culture except Dark Souls.) This is going to do the same thing that Smallville did: constantly cock-tease  the Batmanning of Bruce Wayne until six seasons later when he's done everything but had a child with Talia al-Ghul and then in the last episode it'll be "Father, I shall become a Bat", while the Martian Manhunter and Ace the Bat-Hound look on approvingly.

Smallville has gotten basically infinite seasons. I know that doesn't mean it's good, but an actual Superman Show would've gotten like 2, max. He's a stupid one-dimensional awful shit-hero. Meanwhile Kristin Kreuk is ridiculously hot.

That's what happens when you diversify gene pools, smoking hot girls or something like that.

schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 10:18:56 AM

ALSO, I'LL COMMENT ON THAT COMMENT ABOUT HAVING THE WRONG OPINION, WHY NOT:

Just because I like something doesn't mean it's good. I like all sorts of terrible shit, ALL SORTS. But I'm willing to admit that shit is bad. Some of my favorite movies are absolutely horrific. Just terrible dreck. But I know that. There wasn't anything "good" cinematography or dialogue-wise in Smallville, but it's absolutely brainless and miles more watchable than 99% of the shit on TV.

There's a possibility I'm riled up because this season of Game of Thrones has been so phoned in it hurts.

Also, Walking Dead sucks blow me.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 07:07:40 AM

As I am right now rewatching the final season of The Wire, yes it was.

I'm cautious about this. I hope they tone down the super hero cameos and make this about the mundane police as it should be. The trailer doesn't raise my hope they do, though.

That would be boring as shit, superhero cameos is about the only reason for this show to exist.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Gotham  
Jump to: