Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Titanfall 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Titanfall  (Read 37632 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: May 19, 2014, 04:09:54 PM

Clearly they need to add hattes.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #106 on: May 19, 2014, 06:18:26 PM

To be fair most people don't really like CTF anymore outside of TF2.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: May 20, 2014, 04:58:54 AM

To be fair most people don't really like CTF anymore outside of TF2.

Even in TF2 I think CTF isn't really a  highly played mode (beside 24/7 2 fort, which is really more about 24/7 deathmatch than about actually capturing flags).

Tribes: Ascend had its brief day in the sun with CTF recently, but I can't think of another game that featured the mode prominently.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: May 20, 2014, 08:10:55 PM

Yea this could feel like they're cutting support for a game. But it could very well be them just optimizing support for the players they have. Not a lot of post-purchase monetization happening in Titanfall.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: May 23, 2014, 01:05:38 PM

The CTF playlist is back:

http://www.titanfall.com/news/ctf-matchmaking-update-pc-and-xbox-one

The game is pretty fun, but it feels like it was made for a 2008 audience and is fairly low on content. There are dozens of healthier PC games with more game modes and maps that you could be playing for free instead.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: May 24, 2014, 01:43:22 AM

To be fair, that applies to about 90% of the AAA console ports.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: May 24, 2014, 02:24:48 AM

The CTF playlist is back:

http://www.titanfall.com/news/ctf-matchmaking-update-pc-and-xbox-one

The game is pretty fun, but it feels like it was made for a 2008 audience and is fairly low on content. There are dozens of healthier PC games with more game modes and maps that you could be playing for free instead.

Two months after launch, and they have to write that wall of text to explain why their game doesn't work like they wanted it to?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: May 24, 2014, 02:51:49 PM

Only thing that bothers me is the style of that style. Very unreadable.

Otherwise, why the hate? I actually like they went into the depth they did. If they didn't, the comment thread would just continue theorycrafting instead of descending into console/PC bashing  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: May 24, 2014, 03:27:31 PM

The good thing is that it's a game with a very modern design so instead of just waiting at a lobby screen for a match you can do matchmaking in the background while you play single-player.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: May 24, 2014, 04:35:41 PM

What single-player?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: May 24, 2014, 06:34:45 PM

thatsthejoke.jpg

It's bad design to have a multiplayer-only game where the matchmaking consists of queuing up for one mode then waiting at a lobby screen. If you can't play single-player while waiting for matches at the least you should be able to queue up for more than one type of game.

The problem with matchmaking of this type is that the first time it takes too long players quit and never come back. As a developer you really need to think about how to effectively matchmake with lower populations and less popular modes.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 22, 2014, 10:51:35 PM

I checked Origin to see what EA was doing to counter the Steam summer sale (the answer is nothing) and noticed Titanfall is on sale for $30 and even had a free weekend thing going on, which I missed but oh well.  Anyway, $30.  Still seems too high but there it is if you were waiting for a price drop. 

*Waits for Schild's Origin rant*

Edit:  Looks like its 48 hours total and not confined to just this weekend.  Also, I got Peggle for free.  Yay?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:58:52 PM by Ginaz »
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: June 23, 2014, 03:24:51 AM

I don't think anyone plays TF on pc anymore.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #118 on: June 23, 2014, 04:55:50 AM

I picked it up on sale too (but a couple weeks back during the E3 sale) and yeah it looks like it was a mistake and that the game is essentially kinda dead already. I don't know how "fast" their absolutely abysmal matchmaking system IS but it felt like it was struggling to get me into a game even when I wasn't trying to complete the campaign (good fucking luck doing that BTW, it's required that you do it TWICE to unlock the remaining 2 Titan frames).

Shame; it's been reasonably fun otherwise. It's very CODish in that the guns are nearly zero-recoil bullet hoses with sights up, but the verticality of the maps and on-foot battles are great and the most unique asset of the game even compared with the robots.

The Titans sadly are just as poorly implemented and designed as I thought they were when I played in the beta. They're honestly not that interesting. They cover a lot of ground and it's neat destroying all the little ants and punching pilots off the shoulders of your friends' titans but they operate pretty much on a flat plain due to the fact they can't really jump or climb. Basically you either play peek-a-boo between building cover or you just sit there and unload on eachother in a clusterfuck of fire until someone's titan gets doomed at which point 99% of the players use nuclear ejection so you have to frantically boost away to not die. Being in a titan is an element of safety but it's pretty boring compared to being on foot honestly.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: June 23, 2014, 06:00:14 AM

Yeah, the campaign is so shitty that it was basically impossible to complete it two weeks after launch because nobody gave a fuck. Tying two thirds of the game's main attraction to completing it was the worst idea in a long list of bad ones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #120 on: June 23, 2014, 11:34:34 AM

I started to download it this weekend for the free thing, saw that it was a 50 FUCKING GIG download (only got like 70GB free on a 1TB drive) and said "FUCK THAT." I wasn't that interested in it. Then I downloaded the BF: Hardline beta and was even more disappointed in that. Just  swamp poop all around.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #121 on: June 23, 2014, 12:34:17 PM

What's hilarious is like 80% of that 50GB is audio. No I don't know why.

Shame too because the game isn't THAT bad. If the titans could do more than boost around on a flat plain and their special options were more interesting this would honestly be a really fun game. The SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMEXPLOSIONS shit was tedious in COD because of the level designs and "perks"; the refinements here in the burn cards and equipment loadouts + the spaceman parkour makes for a pretty fun game when matched up with a good team.

Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: June 23, 2014, 12:47:30 PM

I expect the game to be a lot better with the sequel now that they have all this feedback and data to fuel the post-mortem.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #123 on: June 23, 2014, 12:53:46 PM

I kinda wonder if MS is going to throw another mint at Respawn to keep it exclusive given the merely "okay"ish sales and the shitty state of the Xbone.

The game was originally going to be a PS3 title if I recall (which is why Respawn licensed the Source Engine as it had an optimized port for it, also IIRC), then Microsoft offered them $Texas to make an Xbone exclusive and there you go.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #124 on: June 23, 2014, 03:51:30 PM

Tells you something that even a person as into fps as I am can't be arsed downloading the latest and greatest fps for free.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #125 on: June 23, 2014, 06:42:53 PM

awesome, for real The reason for 30GB audio is because everyone needs to speak RUS-GER-FRE-ITA-ENG in game.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #126 on: June 23, 2014, 07:01:07 PM

I've heard it claimed the audio is so enormous because it's uncompressed, to reduce overhead while mixing many streams (apparently cpu to decompress mp3/ogg is more precious than disk bandwidth to stream raw audio, what a world!)

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #127 on: June 23, 2014, 07:41:31 PM

I've heard it claimed the audio is so enormous because it's uncompressed, to reduce overhead while mixing many streams (apparently cpu to decompress mp3/ogg is more precious than disk bandwidth to stream raw audio, what a world!)

if that had been the case - the audio pack installed shd've amounted to less than 20 gb - but in 2014 people need to install all 5 languages with no option to de-select them.
i bought and refunded it within a day last month. No regrets.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 02, 2014, 06:54:49 AM

I picked it up on sale too (but a couple weeks back during the E3 sale) and yeah it looks like it was a mistake and that the game is essentially kinda dead already. I don't know how "fast" their absolutely abysmal matchmaking system IS but it felt like it was struggling to get me into a game even when I wasn't trying to complete the campaign (good fucking luck doing that BTW, it's required that you do it TWICE to unlock the remaining 2 Titan frames).

Shame; it's been reasonably fun otherwise. It's very CODish in that the guns are nearly zero-recoil bullet hoses with sights up, but the verticality of the maps and on-foot battles are great and the most unique asset of the game even compared with the robots.

The Titans sadly are just as poorly implemented and designed as I thought they were when I played in the beta. They're honestly not that interesting. They cover a lot of ground and it's neat destroying all the little ants and punching pilots off the shoulders of your friends' titans but they operate pretty much on a flat plain due to the fact they can't really jump or climb. Basically you either play peek-a-boo between building cover or you just sit there and unload on eachother in a clusterfuck of fire until someone's titan gets doomed at which point 99% of the players use nuclear ejection so you have to frantically boost away to not die. Being in a titan is an element of safety but it's pretty boring compared to being on foot honestly.

The fun part of tanks in FPS games (where they are properly implemented) is the challenge of driving the heavy vehicle simultaneously with the blasting. The faster you're going, and the rougher the terrain, the more satisfying it is to be blowing up stuff. It's most fun in games without tonnes of lock-on weapons. Tracked/wheeled, low profile vehicles add to this feeling. Big, human style movement titans do not.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #129 on: July 02, 2014, 11:17:14 AM

If Titans were more vertically mobile or more destructive to the environment I'd find them a lot more interesting. If I could punch another titan and send it careening into a building which it would then collapse, or climb over some terrain, or do cool pilot maneuverability tricks like having your titan throw you to higher ground or something it'd be awesome. As it is they're just kinda big bullet sponges.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #130 on: August 29, 2014, 03:59:00 PM

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/28/6078949/titanfall-game-update-pilot-skirmish-mode

The next update for Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall will introduce a new game mode that's surprisingly basic: no Titans, no AI infantry, just 16 human pilots going at each other in team-based deathmatch.

Everything old is new again!  why so serious?

I don't play this but found it incredible that they are doing this. Not surprising, just incredible since the whole Titan thing was supposedly the... nevermind.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #131 on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:46 PM

Yep, and they're the weakest part of the game.

If they had shipper super-space mans shooter without titans but kept the wallrunning mobility stuff and designed levels for on-foot only combat there'd still be buzz around it. As it stands, it's basically a flash in the pan.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: August 31, 2014, 05:05:21 PM

Recently bought this because I wanted some mindless shooting, and it was a mistake (should have read this thread first). The mechs are not fun to pilot and that's a problem when the game revolves around mechs. Unreal Tournament 3 has kept me going for years but the servers for that game have finally died.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: August 31, 2014, 05:21:12 PM

Which is so odd. I don't know why they tried to shoehorn good infantry and mechs together like this. I personally enjoyed the game for about a month or so. But it seems like they gimped the titans because they weren't sure people would like them when all they seem to want to do is play games with infantry in them.

I'd have argued the opposite. They already have BF and the world already has CoD. Do something different and go deep on that, instead of achieving enough mediocrity to not stand out on anything.

Not that I think Titanfall was mediocre. As I said, I enjoyed it. But even when I did, the titans weren't awesome enough for me. 2/3 of the session I was just playing CoD with wallrunning.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #134 on: August 31, 2014, 07:51:18 PM

The titans have very little mobility outside of being so big they cover more ground faster than someone on foot. That's it; just...faster than people when boosting.

If they could jump, climb, destroy the map, throw you to higher ground, etc, they're be interesting.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: September 01, 2014, 09:55:21 AM

Yea, titans in a BF engine with all those destroyables, THAT would be something smiley
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #136 on: September 01, 2014, 02:49:51 PM

Just finally played my 2 days of free game time. 45 minutes from launch to uninstall. It's so exactly what I expected of it - competent but underwhelming, like Call of Duty except with bots that actually make the experience even less interesting and robots that don't really add anything to the game.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #137 on: September 02, 2014, 08:06:25 AM

Yea, titans in a BF engine with all those destroyables, THAT would be something smiley
If they could accomplish the same look and feel, with BF4's destructible terrain and larger maps/teamsizes that would be a fucking awesome game.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: October 29, 2016, 11:00:37 AM

Crazynecro, because I don't think the sequel was worth its own thread.

Anyone bother with Titanfall 2 yet? Is it worth loading back up Origin?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #139 on: October 29, 2016, 08:18:36 PM

I got it because I'm a sucker. I just beat the campaign, which is pretty good if the story is mostly nonsense that washes into the background and devoid of notable characters.

It's more titanfall. More titans, more weapons, more stuff in general. I need to try the multiplayer to see if they fucked the maps up. Early on when they were testing it they tried narrowing down the mobility of the players to get CoD's "lanes" into it because they felt the movement in the original was so open that people had to really hunt to find players to fight.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Titanfall  
Jump to: