Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:06:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Titanfall 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Titanfall  (Read 37770 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 07:38:13 AM

Defend f13's honor or turn into a shameful uber nerd?  why so serious?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 07:57:55 AM

If anyone has a Xbox One and wants a beta code, I have one. No clue why I got a code for Xbox One since I am quite certain I said I had a PC  awesome, for real

lawl

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 09:51:05 AM

Maybe I should start a Kickstarter to get me an Xbox One for this.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 09:52:43 AM

If anyone has a Xbox One and wants a beta code, I have one. No clue why I got a code for Xbox One since I am quite certain I said I had a PC  awesome, for real
That seems to be a widespread problem and there is a workaround.  http://help.ea.com/en/article/titanfall-beta-code-platform-issue-and-workaround/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:54:28 AM by Miasma »
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 11:21:50 AM

I played about 3 hours of this last night.

The hype is real, you guys. The player count is fine, it fits the size of the maps with the player mobility. It's a fast-paced mobility-focused game on foot, and a game about playing slightly more conservatively in a Titan - it doesn't feel like some one-sided vehicle vs. human fight in Battlefield, the Titan is powerful but it's not completely uncounterable.

If you can get the drop on a Titan and get on top of them, you are suddenly a huge problem for the pilot. They are forced to either get out and deal with you, or use a loadout that pops a smoke cloud that zaps the shit out of you. BUT, if you're using that loadout, you're forfeiting the usage of the shield, which is used more in Titan vs. Titan combat to fling projectiles back at the attacker.

The Burn Cards don't feel like 'death streaks', you can only bring a max of 3 into a fight and they help slightly, but they're not game-breaking in any way.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #40 on: February 14, 2014, 11:24:20 AM

The player count is fine, it fits the size of the maps with the player mobility.

This is my problem with the game in a nutshell. I HATE phone booth sized maps with a passion. It's why I've never cared for the CoD flavor of FPS's. If the shooty game requires multiplayer to be no more than 12 players total by design, I really have no interest in it.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 12:44:51 PM

Well more players/large map is not inherently superior... Nobody likes a phone booth where you can spam grenades around easily from point to point, but a map that's got a lot of players and is too large and open has downsides. You just get all kinds of areas being camping by campers with long range weapons, cutting down anyone who tries to make something happen. Gets boring.

Just because they made CoD, which as an absolutely massive franchise that's constrained by it's position as a critical revenue generator for a publicly traded company and really can't change much, doesn't mean they aren't smart enough to try something new.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 14, 2014, 01:12:40 PM

If anyone has a Xbox One and wants a beta code, I have one. No clue why I got a code for Xbox One since I am quite certain I said I had a PC  awesome, for real
That seems to be a widespread problem and there is a workaround.  http://help.ea.com/en/article/titanfall-beta-code-platform-issue-and-workaround/

Thanks for that link.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 14, 2014, 01:17:03 PM

Defend f13's honor or and turn into a shameful uber nerd?  why so serious?

Too easy.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 14, 2014, 09:20:12 PM

This game is pretty goddamned fun.  Played it a bit via (XB1) beta, and I can't fault it.  Lots to do, lots to kill and all that nonsense.  I can't say that 8v8 or 16v16 would have been worse or better, but as it was, it was fun from start to stop when I played it.  I know that there's a crowd that wants this to fail, but it's pretty damned fun, so I hope it doesn't.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 11:39:55 PM

Thanks for that link.

I've been told you can create a new EA account and give them a fake key to get a real one. Not that I encourage unethical behavior.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #46 on: February 15, 2014, 04:48:36 AM

I am in the beta for PC and I am enjoying it so far, but surprisingly enough this is making Hawken, which just landed on Steam (in a weird fashion: you have to pay to play it on Steam, but it's completely free on the game official page), look even cooler than it did before. Gotta test them back to back for a while. I don't particularly like fast moving mechas, I like them slow and heavy, but in this particular area I'd say they both do really good. They also both share this crammed maps feeling.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 08:10:20 AM

Played this beta on my buddy's xbone because he wouldn't shut up about it. My opinion thus far is that Hawken is far superior if you want to play a quake speed mech fps. Plus you know...Hawken is free and has nothing to do with ea.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 01:07:56 PM

Goon summed it up really well. Played a bit of the beta:

I played the beta. This game is really, really shit and is as bad as Call of Duty in every way.

The good:

Robots are cool
    Jetpacks are cool
    Brilliant sound design
    Movement is really good and kudos for making movement matter

The bad:

Titan fights are boring peak-a-boo matches until one side gets the numerical advantage and rushes
    Guns are weightless, boring shit and do that terrible Call of Duty thing where you shoot the guy 9-10 times and he doesn't die due to being unlucky with the hit cone
    Call of Duty thing where most of the time you're dead from a guy you didn't see
    Absolute garbage console shit matchmaking putting brand new players with killing machines. Kill this already, christ
    Smart pistol is shitty to die to, unsatisfying to use, and all around shit
    Long periods of time where you are running around trying to find someone to fight who isn't a dumb bot

3/10
It's pretty much CoD trash with robots and cooler movement.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #49 on: February 15, 2014, 03:39:12 PM

I've watched several streams and the most jarring part is how the normal on foot stuff seems as good as any other fps but once everyone gets in their mechs the game goes all boring and slow.  Any map using "last titan standing" sucks to watch.  Their main gimmick, the mechs (sorry "titans"), is actually the weakest part of the game.

As a not-very-good fps player the idea of a false sense of accomplishment via killing those dumb as rocks AI bots appeals to me but the titan stuff looks pretty bad.

Also FPS games are usually what define bleeding edge graphics.  I don't like battlefield or call of duty but I still have to admit they look pretty amazing graphically.  Titanfall does not.  I mean it looks good compared to other genres but when contrasted by other FPS games it looks at least five years old.

None of this is relevant.  If you are the type of person who buys the latest CoD because it's the latest CoD (and there are millions of you) you will like titanfall.  Especially since the latest CoD's newness has worn off by now.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 08:36:34 PM

Hit level cap. Yeah, this would be good if the weapons weren't all 0-recoil bullethoses with slightly varying damage levels and titan combat wasn't so boring. Also if the maps were bigger than a broom closet.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 08:42:20 PM

I think a lot of the "hate" comes from the amount of hype it's gotten, relative to what it is delivering.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 08:50:39 PM

I think it gets a lot of attention (because former IW guys, Xbone, nothing else coming out right now), but if you define hype as people actually saying a lot of extremely positive things about it, I haven't really been seeming that much hype.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 15, 2014, 08:57:56 PM

So I've been seeing a mix of haters gonna hate and game not matching original promise. If this is just CoD with slow moving bullet sponges, I may grab it for lulz with no expectations. It's neat looking. And yea, I said "neat". Been a long week.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 02:38:38 PM

I was sorta looking forward to this, but then I hit the whole ai bot thing. I still don't understand why they went with that. If you want an emphasis on having mech v mech combat, just make the maps like 10v10 or something, with 4 mechs a-side. Am I just old, and not understanding the 'we want everyone to get a participation award' mentality or something? The game should have been a perfectly fine nu-future cod clone with nice gimmicks and spammy guns. Instead it's turned out into some kind of bizzaro comp-stomp thing.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 03:33:59 PM

Got the beta invites yesterday, one for PC and one for Xbox One. I'm using the PC one, anyone want the Xbox One one? PM me.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 16, 2014, 03:53:54 PM

I was sorta looking forward to this, but then I hit the whole ai bot thing. I still don't understand why they went with that.

Because it makes bad players feel good about themselves, including the gaming press people writing previews and reviews.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 17, 2014, 03:02:20 AM

I dunno why some of you are so butthurt about this game. You sound like the fuckwits in WoW complaining about the fact that raids are so easy now and it was better in the old days of TBC. Like it's a bad thing that anyone can junp onto a game and enjoy themselves/feel good by dominating (poor widdle bots). Elitist cockhead bullshit. It's not for you, sure. You know what? It's not for me, either, but I don't feel a need to make myself seem like a h4rdc0r3 l33t player by shitting on those who will enjoy it. Schild actually has the right idea. ignore the fuck out of it.

Facepalm

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: February 17, 2014, 05:29:01 AM

I actually came close to prepurchasing this when EA sent me a Valentine's Day "50% off any title on Origin" offer. I figured getting in on the zeitgeist might be fun enough for half price. But perhaps unsurprisingly, "any title" does not mean any title.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 17, 2014, 12:38:53 PM

This game is actually pretty fun and I'm exactly the sort of casual FPS player it's targetted at. Be curious how distilled the beta is, different maps and game modes are definitely needed.

I'm still bad at it though.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 17, 2014, 05:04:14 PM

It still blows my mind that people say that this game is bad, that just seems objectively wrong. Is it not something they're into? Sure, that's fine. Don't play it if you hate it.

It's not a realistic shooter or a full Q3A style arena shooter, but it is an evolution on the CoD-style shooter that is dominant now. Some people happen to like that style of game (myself being probably the most vocal advocate for them here), and this emphases the parts of the genre that I enjoy, mainly mobility and positioning. I honestly have had the best luck calling in Titans as a distraction and zipping around on foot getting positional advantages on people and Titans.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 17, 2014, 05:07:23 PM

This game is actually pretty fun and I'm exactly the sort of casual FPS player it's targetted at. Be curious how distilled the beta is, different maps and game modes are definitely needed.

GAF did some research digging through the data files on the game - 15 maps at launch, and there are still multiple maps and game modes that aren't in. Seems like CTF and potentially a raw Pilot-vs-pilot TDM mode and campaign multiplayer as well.

8 or so Pilot weapons (mix of anti-titan and primary/secondary weapons) aren't in yet, as well as 3 or 4 titan weapons and ordinances. Also titan perks and pilot perks.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769961

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: February 17, 2014, 06:19:42 PM

It still blows my mind that people say that this game is bad, that just seems objectively wrong. Is it not something they're into? Sure, that's fine. Don't play it if you hate it.

It's not a realistic shooter or a full Q3A style arena shooter, but it is an evolution on the CoD-style shooter that is dominant now. Some people happen to like that style of game (myself being probably the most vocal advocate for them here), and this emphases the parts of the genre that I enjoy, mainly mobility and positioning. I honestly have had the best luck calling in Titans as a distraction and zipping around on foot getting positional advantages on people and Titans.
Most of us here hate the CoD style shooter. Since this is that, I'm not sure why you're surprised it's getting a bad rep. I haven't played it, don't intended to, just my thoughts on the (unsurprising) reaction.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #63 on: February 17, 2014, 06:47:24 PM

Most of us here hate the CoD style shooter. Since this is that, I'm not sure why you're surprised it's getting a bad rep. I haven't played it, don't intended to, just my thoughts on the (unsurprising) reaction.

It's not a really surprise. We have people here who hate-watch TV shows for entire seasons and comment on how much each episode sucks who will spend years discussing MMO's before release that they have no intention of playing. A lot of those people tend to handwave it away as "this is f13, usefully cynical commentary", but I guess I just maybe wrongly expect that since ten years have passed since this site started (not even getting into Waterthread and other predecessors) that people would outgrow that sort of thing at some point. I mean, it's natural and occasionally fun to vent about stuff you don't like, but if somebody is predisposed to not liking CoD I'm not sure why they'd bother to check out the new FPS from the guys that made CoD.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 17, 2014, 07:09:55 PM

I'm by no means an FPS expert. But I think this isn't as CoD as some people are saying. It's not BF4 (which would make it rock if it were), but it feels kinda between CoD for graphics and attitude and more like Marathon (or I guess Q3A) in terms of the volume of combat. CoD does not feel like a 3D combat volume to me, and definitely not compared to TF...

And shit, what are we gonna call this? There is already a TF and TF2!! Although I suppose that only matters if enough people will talk about it...

I am exactly the same. I enjoy it. I'm casual at FPS. I suck at this game. But I'm having fun.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #65 on: February 17, 2014, 07:12:31 PM

If the completed release of Titan/Player weapons and armaments, burn cards, maps, game modes, and whatever tweaks they make for release make Titan combat not boring I'll actually *gasp* buy this.

It's just after a bunch of rounds on hardpoint/attrition I feel that being in a titan is actually less fun than being on foot, but auto-titans are borderline useless so if you got a titalfall up you better use it and just put up with playing peek-a-boo with other titans or running trains of them around owning everyone.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 17, 2014, 10:40:07 PM

Edit: Eh, never mind.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:24:11 PM by Margalis »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #67 on: February 17, 2014, 11:40:02 PM

I am the biggest sucker in the world for giant robots and I still think they are just fantastic looking and feeling in this game. However, the action is not to my liking. I couldn't easily explan why, maybe the small map, maybe the bots (I really don't like them), but it gave me a Battlefield 2142 feeling. Do you remember that? It was supposed to be amazing, in some way it was, and still not many gave a fuck about it. Hell, I bought it on day 1 and I think I played it for about five hours.

This was an automatic pre-order for me, I've been obsessed with it for a year and I literally couldn't wait to get it. Now that I tried I can't even measure my disappointment and I am not gonna get it.

Titans aside, this game only makes me want to play more Planetside 2 (EDIT: And Hawken).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:44:50 PM by Falconeer »

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 18, 2014, 05:21:54 PM

I find this addicting in short spirts. The grunts level the playing field for people who suck like me. I'm not that good at wall running either. In fact, I'm pretty bad all around. But I don't feel as completely outclassed as I do in other FPS games, which is a nice ego stroke.

I was way more excited about it when I first saw the videos last year. But it's still a fun romp, and the mechs add a unique element to what I consider an otherwise tired genre.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 19, 2014, 12:19:14 AM

Titanfall's got giant aliens in it, and maybesorta some kind of interaction with them as well. I may have to get this game just for the eye candy and general scifi feels. I will hate myself if I do that, but in the end, whatevs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771332
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Titanfall  
Jump to: