Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:00:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 College Football  (Read 78560 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: January 12, 2015, 10:10:34 PM

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: January 12, 2015, 10:16:06 PM

WOOOO GO BUCKS!

And to start the discussion that will consume Columbus, give Cardale the job come August.  Barrett is great, Miller is fine, but it factor in big games trumps all.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #282 on: January 12, 2015, 10:28:19 PM

Red zone field goals are sub optimal.

Ohio State took two red zone FGs on their first two possessions in the Sugar Bowl. 3 points is sub optimal, but so is zero points.

Ohh, that wasn't in response to your comment.  Oregon just couldn't put anything into the end zone from close in.  Been an issue with them all year.

They got handed a lot of gifts and just didn't convert them into anything special outside of that long bomb.  I don't remember Chip Kelly offenses being this awful in the red zone.

edit: Not to take anything away from Ohio State.  They won this more than Oregon lost it. Without those fumbles, this could have gotten nasty much earlier.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:32:31 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: January 13, 2015, 05:47:38 AM

WOOOO GO BUCKS!

And to start the discussion that will consume Columbus, give Cardale the job come August.  Barrett is great, Miller is fine, but it factor in big games trumps all.

It's a good problem to have  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #284 on: January 13, 2015, 05:49:44 AM

Ohio State winning pretty much solidified Urban Meyer as on par with Nick Saban as the two best coaches in CFB right now. There's nobody else really close. Saban has 4, Urban has 3. Everyone else is has 5 since Ohio State won their last title game.

So it's those two coaches lapping the field.

That being said, I'll take a moment to hate on this college football season one last time. You had a team with a 3rd string QB win against the Heisman trophy winner team. You had a team win the NCG who lost to one of the worst Virginia Tech teams in the last 2 decades. The other team in the game lost to Arizona, and beat one of the most overrated undefeated teams of all time. That should be remembered as one of the worst seasons we've had since 2007. You shouldn't be able to win a National Championship facing decent competition with your 3rd string QB anywhere. Yet it happened. It won't be remembered that way by OSU fans right now, but I think when we look back on it, people will think, "Oh yeah that was that year a 3rd stringer won the championship. How crazy was that? Everyone really tripped over their dicks on that one."

The talent coming out of college football lately, especially at the QB position is way down. The product on the field looks really bad and overmatched on a week to week basis. I'm not sure how this happened this quickly, but I blame a lot of it on the offensive schemes and the obsession with offense over defense that college programs have now. The teams that are winning are doing it with better defenses and better running attacks than everyone else. I mean Ohio State was 19th in total defense, while Oregon was 89th at the end of the season. It wasn't close, and Oregon isn't talented enough to make up for getting hit in the face. We forget this every year it seems.

In the end, the better team won. But I really really wanted to see a match between TCU and Ohio State now. Those looked like the two best teams in the nation after the dust cleared.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:51:24 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: January 13, 2015, 06:25:39 AM

Ohio State winning pretty much solidified Urban Meyer as on par with Nick Saban as the two best coaches in CFB right now. There's nobody else really close. Saban has 4, Urban has 3. Everyone else is has 5 since Ohio State won their last title game.

That being said, I'll take a moment to hate on this college football season one last time. You had a team with a 3rd string QB win against the Heisman trophy winner team. You had a team win the NCG who lost to one of the worst Virginia Tech teams in the last 2 decades. The other team in the game lost to Arizona, and beat one of the most overrated undefeated teams of all time. That should be remembered as one of the worst seasons we've had since 2007. You shouldn't be able to win a National Championship facing decent competition with your 3rd string QB anywhere. Yet it happened. It won't be remembered that way by OSU fans right now, but I think when we look back on it, people will think, "Oh yeah that was that year a 3rd stringer won the championship. How crazy was that? Everyone really tripped over their dicks on that one."

The talent coming out of college football lately, especially at the QB position is way down. The product on the field looks really bad and overmatched on a week to week basis. I'm not sure how this happened this quickly, but I blame a lot of it on the offensive schemes and the obsession with offense over defense that college programs have now. The teams that are winning are doing it with better defenses and better running attacks than everyone else. I mean Ohio State was 19th in total defense, while Oregon was 89th at the end of the season. It wasn't close, and Oregon isn't talented enough to make up for getting hit in the face. We forget this every year it seems.

In the end, the better team won. But I really really wanted to see a match between TCU and Ohio State now. Those looked like the two best teams in the nation after the dust cleared.

I debated whether to rebut yet another bitter, excuse-making Alabama-lost post from you, but I'm just going to say Cry More Inevitable Tears and see you in September  awesome, for real

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: January 13, 2015, 06:42:34 AM

We forget this every year it seems.

There is just way more variance in the quality of teams, and even the quality of play within a defense, than there is in the NFL.  It's because they are amateurs, but physical superiority can take you a lot farther in the college game than it can in the NFL.  So when Oregon puts up 40 and 50 and even 60 points a game, they can get away with it because they are just straight faster.  Even against the good defenses there are likely to be lapses because the players aren't as disciplined and good at playing the schemes.

But when a team actually can put a few defensive performances in a row together, it really stands out.

But it's basically the same reason the QBs coming out lately are garbage.  They get put in that position because they are the best athlete in their high school and the coaches want them to have the ball in their hands every down.  I mean, that's fine, but they just get used to relying on that because they can (see also: Johnny Manziel).   When they get to the pros and EVERYONE is as big and strong and fast as they are, the whole thing breaks down.  It's just really hard to play QB in the NFL compared to college and the same skillsets aren't equally valuable in both places.  It's why Russell Wilson is a successful NFL QB and RG3 isn't, despite the reverse being true (more or less) when they were in college.

I'm not saying anything groundbreaking here, it's just that the defense issue and the QB issues seem very connected to me.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #287 on: January 13, 2015, 06:58:33 AM

I debated whether to rebut yet another bitter, excuse-making Alabama-lost post from you, but I'm just going to say Cry More Inevitable Tears and see you in September  awesome, for real

Well he is not wrong - no one is really translating to NFL quality (offense) anymore because competition on the other side of the ball is so meager.

and he is a Bulldogs homer, not a Tide fan. tOSU ramped up their game at the end of the season and beat a string of great teams. Kudos to them. I still loathe them, mainly for their fanbase and Myer. That said, they showed they were the best team this year at the right time.

This was a paradigm changing season in that record/strength of schedule has become only a part of the story instead of the only story. Growing pains and what not.

One thing I will say is that this has been the most jumbled college season since 2007. At least everyone was still sorta in it till the very end. I am ok with that chaos, but can see how it will drive other people batty.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #288 on: January 13, 2015, 06:59:23 AM

I debated whether to rebut yet another bitter, excuse-making Alabama-lost post from you, but I'm just going to say Cry More Inevitable Tears and see you in September  awesome, for real

No tears here, I just think the Ohio State story of OMG A THIRD STRINGER WON A TITLE! That has a flipside. It would never happen in another season. Because those teams would be talented enough to stop it. Like VA Tech apparently? I mean how did that happen?

And I don't like Alabama at all. They are THE reason Georgia din't win a national title.

EDIT: I think Ohio State is the force of that conference, as I'd said before. They are everything now the Big 10 hasn't been in the 10 years prior to Urban showing up. They recruit everywhere, they pull in talent from the biggest football states (California, Texas, Florida, Georgia) I still don't see how other teams are going to keep up with what they are doing, unless Harbaugh pulls a magical rabbit out of his ass.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:03:46 AM by Paelos »

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: January 13, 2015, 08:17:47 AM

Yet it happened. It won't be remembered that way by OSU fans right now, but I think when we look back on it, people will think, "Oh yeah that was that year a 3rd stringer won the championship. How crazy was that? Everyone really tripped over their dicks on that one."

Depends on how Cardale Jones pans out. If he goes on to win the starting job and wins a Heisman or is drafted #1 it becomes more that OSU had an embarrassment of riches at QB. He's got all the tools to be a HOF pro qb - height, howitzer arm, quick release, accurate with touch, cool under pressure, etc. The only question is if he's got it between the ears.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #290 on: January 13, 2015, 08:21:29 AM

Yet it happened. It won't be remembered that way by OSU fans right now, but I think when we look back on it, people will think, "Oh yeah that was that year a 3rd stringer won the championship. How crazy was that? Everyone really tripped over their dicks on that one."

Depends on how Cardale Jones pans out. If he goes on to win the starting job and wins a Heisman or is drafted #1 it becomes more that OSU had an embarrassment of riches at QB. He's got all the tools to be a HOF pro qb - height, howitzer arm, quick release, accurate with touch, cool under pressure, etc. The only question is if he's got it between the ears.

I'll disagree with you on one point. Nobody I've seen come out of college or currently in college since Luck has the tools to be a HOF pro QB yet.

Jones may pan out to be fantastic. But there's something to be said about enduring a whole season, and teams getting more tape/eyes on you. You never know how that goes season-to-season after a NCG win. Complacency, bickering, NFL losses creep up.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: January 13, 2015, 08:40:05 AM

I'll disagree with you on one point. Nobody I've seen come out of college or currently in college since Luck has the tools to be a HOF pro QB yet.

Jones may pan out to be fantastic. But there's something to be said about enduring a whole season, and teams getting more tape/eyes on you. You never know how that goes season-to-season after a NCG win. Complacency, bickering, NFL losses creep up.

No doubt. OSU returns 36 out of 44 on the two-deep next year - they'll be unanimous preseason #1 and on paper they should destroy everyone but like Tebow said last night defending it is way harder than getting there.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #292 on: January 13, 2015, 08:48:39 AM

Ohio State is always a force because I believe they are so far ahead of their conference they only have to treat about a third of their schedule seriously. Three ranked games this year, they won em all. Lost the VA Tech game which, like the Missouri loss to Indiana, I will never understand how the hell it happened.

If Michigan gets traction, the Big 10 will get some more competition. Same for Michigan State and Wisconsin. They need 6-7 teams that can really compete and win to force recruiting battles with Urban Meyer. Because as it stands right now about 10 of those teams aren't anywhere close to winning the Big 10.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #293 on: January 13, 2015, 09:53:57 AM

I don't know much about college football, but I blame the goddamn spread offense for killing the quality of college QB's coming out of the NFL. It feels like the running games get ignored for option style runs, passes are all like screens, 5 yard dinks and crossing routes with very rare deep bombs, tight ends are all flexed out if they are even on the field, there are no fullbacks or really any backs doing much pass protection so usually the QB has to be the best athlete on the field because he's going to be running for his life from every blitz. It's like the bastard special needs child of the run and gun.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: January 13, 2015, 10:03:35 AM

But having a running game is boring football!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #295 on: January 13, 2015, 11:41:55 AM

I sort of hope it continues and the NFL gets pissed about it.

Because if their product suffers due to a lack of competent talent, they will start a D-League of their own. And then shit will get REALLY fun when the college game gets exposed.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #296 on: January 13, 2015, 02:08:16 PM

Going for it on 4th down was not the wrong call. College football fans have not caught up with math yet.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #297 on: January 13, 2015, 02:13:19 PM

Going for it on 4th down was not the wrong call. College football fans have not caught up with math yet.

That drives me crazy too. Coaches constantly going for it in weird scenarios, yet not going for it 4th and a half yard from their own 40 because it's too risky!!!

WayAbvPar

Reply #298 on: January 13, 2015, 02:21:21 PM

It makes almost as crazy as managers who fucking bunt the instant someone reaches first base.  Mob

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #299 on: January 13, 2015, 03:42:52 PM

It makes almost as crazy as managers who fucking bunt the instant someone reaches first base.  Mob

Time and a place, although Sabercats will fight you on it.

I prefer the hit and run honestly.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #300 on: January 13, 2015, 03:57:36 PM

I miss the straight steal.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: January 13, 2015, 04:03:54 PM

Ohio State is always a force because I believe they are so far ahead of their conference they only have to treat about a third of their schedule seriously. Three ranked games this year, they won em all. Lost the VA Tech game which, like the Missouri loss to Indiana, I will never understand how the hell it happened.

Ohio State is always a force because they recruit well and know how to bend the rules while avoiding investigation.  They also have the biggest budget in the Big 10. 

While I hate Ohio State with a passion, I'd rather they win the championship than another SEC team (I'm indifferent to Oregon).

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #302 on: January 13, 2015, 04:45:39 PM

It doesn't hurt that Ohio State has an SEC coach now too.  why so serious?

Mortriden
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: January 14, 2015, 10:39:15 AM

I don't know much about college football, but I blame the goddamn spread offense for killing the quality of college QB's coming out of the NFL. It feels like the running games get ignored for option style runs, passes are all like screens, 5 yard dinks and crossing routes with very rare deep bombs, tight ends are all flexed out if they are even on the field, there are no fullbacks or really any backs doing much pass protection so usually the QB has to be the best athlete on the field because he's going to be running for his life from every blitz. It's like the bastard special needs child of the run and gun.

My wife and I were just talking about something similar to this yesterday.  We were discussing if College Football programs/coaches are becoming less concerned with producing "NFL Candidates" and more concerned with winning at the college level. 

It's like calling shenanigans.  But you say "jihad" instead. - Llava
They are out there, but they are bi-products of funny families. If you know funny old people, see if they have daughters. -Paelos
Yes my seed is that strong. I literally clap my hands and women are with child. -Paelos
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: January 14, 2015, 11:36:31 AM

My wife and I were just talking about something similar to this yesterday.  We were discussing if College Football programs/coaches are becoming less concerned with producing "NFL Candidates" and more concerned with winning at the college level. 

The two go hand in hand.  If you want the top talent, you have to demonstrate that your program grooms players for life in the NFL.  Get the top talent and you win championships... that is if your coaches can reign in the egos.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #305 on: January 14, 2015, 11:49:56 AM

I think a pro style system will continue to dominate if you do as Nebu says, get the top tier guys. If you have the best lineman in the game, you and run a playaction offense and kill teams.

If you have crappy line guys, you run the spread because it puts the impact on the skill guys making plays. This doesn't work in the NFL though because all the line talent is good at worst.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #306 on: January 15, 2015, 06:05:57 AM

I'm interested to see how the ratings will be for the game that doesn't have an East or South contingent, and it's on cable, spread across a billion channels.

Answer, it got an 18.5 rating, which is the highest since the Texas-USC game. It didn't beat that, but set a cable record. Makes sense because this game grabbed more markets in the Mid-East and West. Opposed to an FSU-Auburn game did with just the South.

Still, that's lower than I expected, and I think it has a lot of room to grow. A Patriots AFC divisional game got a 19.6 rating. That's not even for a championship, that's just a regular playoff game.

The gap is starting to close on the highest of the high college game and the NFL, but it's not quite there yet. I'd like to see what would happen ratings-wise with a playoff between Texas and USC today on broadcast TV.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: January 15, 2015, 10:01:19 AM

I want the NCAA games to get equal or higher ratings than the NFL too, but for a different reason.  It's about time these athletes start getting paid for the HUGE sums of money that the NCAA is making off of them.  If these games start competing with the NFL, then it may be high time that college football became the NFL farm system that it was designed to be.  Most of these athletes have no interest nor ability to be in a university setting in the first place.

-  Mark Twain
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: January 15, 2015, 10:53:16 AM

Cardale Jones is expected to announce today at 2PM that he's going into the draft. Just the capper on one of the strangest seasons ever.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #309 on: January 15, 2015, 10:56:18 AM

Cardale Jones is expected to announce today at 2PM that he's going into the draft. Just the capper on one of the strangest seasons ever.

I figured he might. He'll get murdered in the rankings because of his lack of game experience though. Still, someone might take a flyer on him in the 3rd round because he's a freak. I wouldn't mind the Cowboys spending a 3rd or 4th on the kid if he fell down there. They need a better backup situation and somebody to train two years under Romo before his back explodes.

EDIT: Then again this QB class sucks, as I've said with the prior 5 years of guys for the most part. There's a serious lack of contenders going around. Someone might get stupid and take him early.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:58:40 AM by Paelos »

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #310 on: January 15, 2015, 11:58:26 AM

Yeah, 2 college game starts and you'll go into the draft? good luck. He will indeed get shredded for his lack of gametime résumé .

I guess that is smart since the qb situation is scant this year - wouldn't surprise me if he didn't get drafted and someone picked him up on FA as a practice squad qb.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: January 15, 2015, 12:38:18 PM

Yeah, 2 college game starts and you'll go into the draft? good luck. He will indeed get shredded for his lack of gametime résumé .

I guess that is smart since the qb situation is scant this year - wouldn't surprise me if he didn't get drafted and someone picked him up on FA as a practice squad qb.

Scuttlebutt is that he's been advised of being a 2nd-3rd round pick, but possibly could jump into the 1st depending on his combine results. Ordinarily it'd be a no-brainer to not go but Christ, he has to compete with a 2-time Big 10 offensive MVP and a Heisman Trophy finalist for a starting job despite winning the national championship.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #312 on: January 15, 2015, 12:40:44 PM

Isn't Miller transferring?  Why not transfer himself?  I suppose you lose out on the short term (2 years of salary where ever you're drafted), but you have the potential to be something much greater. 

-Rasix
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: January 15, 2015, 12:57:42 PM

Isn't Miller transferring?  Why not transfer himself?  I suppose you lose out on the short term (2 years of salary where ever you're drafted), but you have the potential to be something much greater.  

According to Urban, Miller is staying. As far as transferring I think part of it is that Cardale is a redshirt sophomore after taking a year at Fork Union, so he's already 23(I think, the OSU site doesn't say). So if he sits out a year to transfer he only gets one year somewhere else and he's already 25-26 by the time he starts his NFL career.

Edit: There is some doubt as to whether Miller will actually be able to play quarterback. Two torn labrums is bad news for arm strength.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: January 15, 2015, 02:15:06 PM

And he announced he's staying. Don't know why he needed a press conference for that, but whatevs...  swamp poop

Fall practice is going to be awful interesting.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2014 College Football  
Jump to: