Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:13:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Winter Olympics - 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Olympics - 2014  (Read 38760 times)
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: February 15, 2014, 02:25:45 PM

Holy shit that RUS vs. USA game was awesome.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: February 15, 2014, 05:41:29 PM

The whole story line of sending out TJ Oshie for every single shot was fantastic (probably would've been even better if it was 1984 or something but hey).

When do we get the Oshie as Captain America mashups or something.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: February 15, 2014, 06:00:41 PM

Jesus the two minute commercial breaks every four minutes is getting annoying.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 15, 2014, 07:26:46 PM

The whole story line of sending out TJ Oshie for every single shot was fantastic (probably would've been even better if it was 1984 or something but hey).

When do we get the Oshie as Captain America mashups or something.

I blame the Moose and Flying Squirrel for Russia's loss.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #74 on: February 15, 2014, 07:54:38 PM

I was shocked by the US/Russia result - never would have bet on the Russians to lose this in a shootout. I was even more surprised to see Datsyuk seemingly under-utilized in the shootout.

Had no idea Oshie was so good - Flyers don't play STL until after the break, so I hadn't actually seen the kid play yet.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
WayAbvPar

Reply #75 on: February 15, 2014, 08:32:04 PM

Holy shit that RUS vs. USA game was awesome.

Woke up early not feeling well and couldn't go back to sleep. Logged on to EVE to update my skill queue and someone mentioned USA v RUS was starting, so I got to watch the whole thing. Not a bad consolation prize for missing sleep  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: February 16, 2014, 08:10:12 AM

god I hate shootouts

the gold medal has been determined by this asinine crap, and might be again

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #77 on: February 16, 2014, 09:51:33 AM

Yeah I don't understand why they do shootouts in medal rounds. In prelims, whatever, but when a medal is on the line?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: February 16, 2014, 10:31:55 AM

And I better not hear any more people whining about how the NHL needs big ice, these games are super boring.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #79 on: February 16, 2014, 11:00:00 AM

Are you kidding? The Russia/US game was electric.

EDIT: I'm not advocating changing the rink size - just that some of the games have been great.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:04:18 AM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #80 on: February 16, 2014, 03:15:59 PM

Ugh they put like the Nordic Marathon on the middle of Sunday for 2 hours. WTF NBC

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: February 16, 2014, 05:02:35 PM

I haven't been able to watch a bit of this as for some reason there are no channels showing it. FFS who cares if is recorded footage of stuff that happened this morning, let me watch it and not fucking Showjumping or or some bum ass soccer league that no-one gives a shit about.

Sigh, BBC 4 did show a bit of it but then some Brit won won a gold and it turned into hours of jamming their tongue down their shorts rather than showing any more of it.

Yes, I'm pissed off at my TV lack of choices.

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: February 16, 2014, 11:27:55 PM

Edit: nm, I did the thing where I reply to the last post a few pages back.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: February 17, 2014, 08:14:09 PM

Figure skating is in no way fixed and corrupt. Ohhhhh, I see.  Fuck that "sport". 

Ok, now I can go back to not caring again.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #84 on: February 17, 2014, 08:21:31 PM

Glad your life is back to normal.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #85 on: February 17, 2014, 08:45:51 PM

We found the one person who cares about ice dancing. Quick, point and laugh.

-Rasix
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: February 18, 2014, 12:38:45 AM

Well, its 2 weeks every 4 years that I have mild interest in sports I normally don't care about or even know exist.  It could have been tiddlywinks but the outside "drama" makes it a mildly interesting story.  Honestly, I could care less if Canada didn't win another medal as long as they win the gold in hockey.  If they won that and had no other medals, I still consider it a successful Olympics.

Edit: The fuck I gave about this is miniscule compared to this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4kECZiXyM
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:10:00 AM by Ginaz »
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: February 18, 2014, 06:24:40 AM

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: February 18, 2014, 08:39:50 AM

Ice dance is one of the things that I believe has no place in the Olympics (and if it does, why isn't stuff like ballet not in the Olympics?). I'm not a huge fan of things that rest entirely on pure subjective judging being an Olympic sport, but at least if they have tricks or jumps to judge you can have an event where the layman can see differences between competitors. In the ice dance (from what little I watched, which was only due to the pre-event controversy -- which was correct as it turns out) its too damn murky. Hell, in this case, the guy who created the single "move" that is judged, came out and said the Canadians nailed it (yet, the judges gave them a 3 out of 4), and the Americans didn't nail it (who were given a 4 out of 4) as well as having poor pace on a couple other sections. He was astounded the Canadians lost to the Americans. Fix was clearly in, and this was no surprise (this is the event the French magazine had earlier claimed there was a judging fix in so that the Canadians would lose to the Americans).

Nothing will happen, however, unlike in 2002. Figure skating in general is a joke, however, due to judging. Imo, Americans and Russians shouldn't be allowed to judge the event, both have long histories of corruption. However, I'd actually like to see that any event with judges or refs never allow judges/refs from a country involved in a medal hunt as it just allows for the opportunity for corruption.
WayAbvPar

Reply #89 on: February 18, 2014, 08:57:10 AM

http://deadspin.com/olympian-has-interesting-underwear-choice-1525137645/+bubbaprog

awesome, for real

Made the mistake of turning on the Olympics when I went to bed late last night. Kept me up far longer than  I wanted. I really enjoy the downhill skiing events apparently.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: February 18, 2014, 09:16:37 AM

Downhill was always my sport too. I guess becasue they are all essentially doing the same thing even you can start to see the mistakes and good moves involved.

Hic sunt dracones.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: February 18, 2014, 10:07:10 AM

I like the skiing and snowboarding races where they run 4 guys down at the same time. Like short track speed skating vs long track, it's more compelling when there's direct competition to advance via heats, and dynamic passing situations, as opposed to just rigid time trial competition.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #92 on: February 18, 2014, 05:17:30 PM

However, I'd actually like to see that any event with judges or refs never allow judges/refs from a country involved in a medal hunt as it just allows for the opportunity for corruption.

While an understandable desire, for some sports that's just tossing out everyone who actually knows what the hell they're doing from judging/reffing an event, which is not going to lead to better scoring. Still, punishing the shit out of obviously fucked up judging would be a nice start. Like booting the Russian and US judges from ice skating for a while because they can't have nice things.

God Save the Horn Players
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: February 18, 2014, 07:33:07 PM

While an understandable desire, for some sports that's just tossing out everyone who actually knows what the hell they're doing from judging/reffing an event, which is not going to lead to better scoring. Still, punishing the shit out of obviously fucked up judging would be a nice start. Like booting the Russian and US judges from ice skating for a while because they can't have nice things.

Yeah, I know what I want is a pipe dream. But yes, booting the American and Russian judges would be a nice start -- judges from those two countries have a long history of fixing results (and picking on Canada! I mean, seriously.. U.S./Russia ganging up on Canada will always have bad optics for the judges, especially when the fix was telegraphed in a magazine long before the event started and was right on all counts). Ironically, Canadian judges have a long history of being harsh on Canadian figure skaters to avoid the mere perception of bias.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: February 19, 2014, 07:15:56 AM

51 billion dollars and the Russians won't get the one medal they really want.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #95 on: February 19, 2014, 08:30:32 AM

Teemu is STILL playing... I love that guy, ever since he played for the Jets. Wonder if he'll be back for the 2018 games.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #96 on: February 19, 2014, 08:32:11 AM

Watching the Russians lose still has a lot of  why so serious? for Americans.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 19, 2014, 08:54:07 AM

I think for more recent generations, Canada vs. USA has become a slightly bigger rivalry in international hockey - but for me, the Russians will always be the biggest rivals.

WayAbvPar

Reply #98 on: February 19, 2014, 10:17:57 AM

Teemu is STILL playing... I love that guy, ever since he played for the Jets. Wonder if he'll be back for the 2018 games.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

This is his 6th Olympics! That is just unreal.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: February 19, 2014, 12:09:31 PM

god team Canada is so frustrating to watch, too many stiffs. Not bringing Thorton & Giroux, plus benching Subban, just to watch Kunitz flail around. So dumb.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: February 19, 2014, 01:05:22 PM

god team Canada is so frustrating to watch, too many stiffs. Not bringing Thorton & Giroux, plus benching Subban, just to watch Kunitz flail around. So dumb.

Eh. I have no issues with not bringing Giroux. One of the more over-rated players, in my opinion. The guy can score.. and he can also give pucks to the opposition on a silver platter (see: the last World Championships). Not bringing one of the (f not the) top Canadian LWers in Hall was idiotic. Bringing Nash and Kunitz, benching St. Louis, not bringing Big Joe.. I'm ambivelant on the Subban issue. Fantastic player.. but also over-hyped (mainly by Sportsnet), as he will sacrifice his defensive responsibilities for the big hit or offensive opportunity (how he ever won a Norris is mind boggling.. oh, wait.. same people that couldn't remember what position Ovie played..)

All in all, Canada has problems. The biggest one, however, is unlike teams like Sweden, Finland, U.S.A, the Canadians don't play that good of a team game because Canada builds its teams from its top favourites (who tend to be centers), instead of building an actual team.

Right now, I'm hoping Canada beats the U.S. solely because, well, U.S. (I had hoped for a Czech upset.. but alas, that coach is bat-shit stupid.. although, at least Hemsky did well), but I'm hoping Finland takes Gold.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 19, 2014, 01:47:04 PM

Red bandana guy is not happy.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: February 19, 2014, 03:19:54 PM

as he will sacrifice his defensive responsibilities for the big hit or offensive opportunity (how he ever won a Norris is mind boggling.. oh, wait.. same people that couldn't remember what position Ovie played..)

..no he doesn't
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #103 on: February 19, 2014, 03:52:50 PM

God Save the Horn Players
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #104 on: February 19, 2014, 11:43:00 PM

AHAAHHAAHHAHAHA
good god
I had to make sure it's a real sport and not some made up parody.
FFS. Curling.
Something new.  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Winter Olympics - 2014  
Jump to: