Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Winter Olympics - 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Olympics - 2014  (Read 38803 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: February 20, 2014, 02:24:39 AM

Curling is a great game.  Now that I fully understand it, I find it enthralling. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #106 on: February 20, 2014, 06:41:39 AM

It's shuffleboard. It's a game played by people before they die in old folks homes. Except it's on ice.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: February 20, 2014, 07:12:48 AM

I used to think that too, but watching a great deal of it changed my mind.  There are interesting tactical and strategic elements to it that you might not at first appreciate it, coupled with the skill required to actually place those fucking stones where you want them. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: February 20, 2014, 09:15:47 AM

Curling is awesome.

Even moreso after you have seen Men With Brooms.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: February 20, 2014, 09:20:21 AM

I have tried curling a few times, it is MUCH more difficult than shuffelboard.
WayAbvPar

Reply #110 on: February 20, 2014, 09:24:00 AM

I would love to try it some time. The scrubbing and brooming not so much, but the rock chucking looks fun.

I need good video game versions of curling and cricket so I can learn more about them. Curling I think I have a decent handle on, but cricket is a fucking mystery.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: February 20, 2014, 11:02:21 AM

As a newbie I think I only managed to get 2 rocks into the target in about 8 attempts my first time, and that was the best result of our group. Really makes you appreciate it when they can knock out double combos and such or make perfect hit & rolls. Like I said this is a lot harder than other games like pool or shuffleboard.

The sweeping is pretty difficult too, you are using weird muscles when you are in an ice- bracing stance to stay up and moving up/down the sheet (you brace hard since tumbling down onto ice hurts) and also brooming really fast. You will be sore after even if you dont slip and land hard on ice. That's why most of those olympic curlers are pretty buff looking and spend a lot of time at the gym because being athletic definitely gives you an edge there.

There's a reason curling is super popular in Canada, and definitely could be more popular elsewhere too. It's a challenging game, not just for old duffers, a lot of skill needed, but the basics are easily grasped. So easier to get into than say golf, but just as challenging. It's a bit more social than golf too, because you're not just playing in a group of 2-4 but 8+ whoever else is hanging around since curling rinks generally also pull double duty as bars so it's more spectator-community friendly while in say golf you're limited to immediate players until the clubhouse after.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: February 20, 2014, 11:06:34 AM

So the Russian girl wins the figure skating gold.  It may or may not have been deserved, I cannot comment smartly on that (the local commentator said the Russian girl had a slightly more difficult program, so that's something).  I will just assume she did...I mean, she was damn good and hugely charismatic.  What fucking gets my blood boiling is that the Korean girl (Yuna Kim?) skated last and gave an absolutely flawless performance - she is just far more graceful than the others in the competition, even I can see that - I mean, it was great.  So great that the Russian fans in the stands could sense that it was very nearly good enough to give her gold over the Russian girl, and so what do they do?  They go silent.  Because God forbid you show appreciation for an amazing performance at the possible cost of probably nothing at all.  A complete fucking disgrace.  I am not sure if it is Russian fans specifically, or just figure skating fans in general.  

Sport or not, it is amazing what some of these people can do on skates.  It is too bad that they and all the people involved in the support seem to be complete shit-eating wastes of space.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #113 on: February 20, 2014, 11:33:53 AM

I respect curling more than the farce that is figure skating. At least we know why somebody won in curling.

WayAbvPar

Reply #114 on: February 20, 2014, 11:35:48 AM

Gold medal game in OT (women's hockey). I am making as many Cindy Crosby jokes as humanly possible.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: February 20, 2014, 11:36:53 AM

I respect curling more than the farce that is figure skating. At least we know why somebody won in curling.

this is why I prefer to watch red bull crashed ice races if I want to see non-hockey skating.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: February 20, 2014, 12:03:42 PM

So fucking ridiculous that they advertise ON THE AIR that you can watch the hockey matches live on NBCOLYMPICS.COM but the website forces you to log in with your cable provider account (which I don't fucking know because fuck using Comcast email). What if you don't have a cable TV subscription? OH RIGHT, YOU CAN'T WATCH SHIT.

Fuck NBC's coverage.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: February 20, 2014, 12:08:33 PM

THANKS GOALPOST.

And so ends the one women's hockey game I watch every 4 years.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:21:35 PM by murdoc »

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: February 20, 2014, 12:47:10 PM

The U.S. deserved to win that women's hockey game. Thankfully, however, they did not win despite being the better team. Was nice to see the Swiss get the bronze, too. Ever so slowly women's hockey is becoming more competitive beyond just Canada/U.S..

Now, Canada needs to complete the other double (men's curling/hockey) of the double double and we might just pass the Americans in gold medals.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #119 on: February 20, 2014, 12:59:02 PM

So fucking ridiculous that they advertise ON THE AIR that you can watch the hockey matches live on NBCOLYMPICS.COM but the website forces you to log in with your cable provider account (which I don't fucking know because fuck using Comcast email). What if you don't have a cable TV subscription? OH RIGHT, YOU CAN'T WATCH SHIT.

Fuck NBC's coverage.

It got even worse this time around, you used to at least be able to watch replays of full events if it was 24 hours past whatever (I ... may have watched an entire fencing event during the London ones) and they didn't completely bury and/or remove highlight reels within a day of the event, but now it seems like you need a fucking cable subscription (which we do not have) to even do that. >< So basically unless I happen to catch one of their shitty highlight reels before they replace it (usually with some bullshit human interest piece), I don't get to see shit. Whee!

God Save the Horn Players
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #120 on: February 20, 2014, 01:17:36 PM

I guess there are ways to use proxies to watch bbc and other countries' streams.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #121 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:20 PM

I don't want the Olympics to think I care that much. <sniff>

God Save the Horn Players
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #122 on: February 21, 2014, 06:03:09 AM

Does CBC's streaming site lock you guys out regionally? Half my company was watching the Curling and Hockey at their desks yesterday.

And Murdoc, lets not forget that that goalpost only happened because the linesman threw a pick on the Canadian defense(wo)man trying to stop the puck at the point. That would have been a shitstorm had that gone in.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: February 21, 2014, 06:14:34 AM

Does CBC's streaming site lock you guys out regionally? Half my company was watching the Curling and Hockey at their desks yesterday.

And Murdoc, lets not forget that that goalpost only happened because the linesman threw a pick on the Canadian defense(wo)man trying to stop the puck at the point. That would have been a shitstorm had that gone in.

I am pretty sure they do. Simply because I am certain that it is part of their contract with the IOC.

WayAbvPar

Reply #124 on: February 21, 2014, 07:02:41 AM

So- I am going to try to remain unspoiled for the US v Canada game today. I figure my odds are about 1 in 5 of actually succeeding.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: February 21, 2014, 07:56:47 AM

Stay off the internet, and TV, and hope none of your colleagues cares about it even to the extent of relaying a headline he sees.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 21, 2014, 11:12:52 AM

Such a boring game, like all the others. This large ice blows chunks.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #127 on: February 21, 2014, 11:38:53 AM

Yep, I hope Way doesn't wait around for this one.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: February 21, 2014, 11:50:32 AM

I prefer the larger surface.  Promotes skating over thuggery.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: February 21, 2014, 12:18:26 PM

Disagree completely about it being a boring game.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: February 21, 2014, 12:19:54 PM

Not much more skating. There's no forechecking because it's too easy to pass around it a single man, and a 2 man leaves way too much room up ice if it fails, so teams line up a trap instead at the red line, therefore forget the big end to end rushes you dream of. The only extra skating is more perimeter cycling around edges of zone if a dump is retrieved successfully, since it's easy to avoid to aggressive checking in the corners, they sit back instead with a 5 man fort. So thrilling.

Without the stakes of that game being Can-USA Semi final, it was worse than some 1-0  NJ Devils- Min. Wild snorefest, which I normally would change channel one pretty early on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:21:25 PM by Speedy Cerviche »
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: February 21, 2014, 04:41:37 PM

Meh. Any one-goal game of import coached by any coach worth his salt is going to rely massively on the trap. Doesn't matter if its on big ice or not. You see it all the time in the playoffs, even. I prefer the bigger ice and, honestly, the biggest problem with the larger ice surface is a lot of players and coaches struggle to adapt NHL strategies to it. Canada, for example, has a long history of a horrific powerplay on the larger ice surfaces because coaches seem unable to grasp the changes they need to make in the point positionings.

However, all I care about is Canada > USA. I would actually rather see Finland take bronze than Canada take gold (if I had to choose). Its unfortunate, however, to see team Canada succeed despite several absolutely moronic decisions (let's bring Kunitz.. and not play him with Crosby much at all until we play the Americans, despite Crosby being the only real reason Kunitz was even considered for a spot, much less actually picked, and, well, Nash). Thankfully they've avoided the situation of Luongo in net by simply going with Price.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #132 on: February 21, 2014, 11:41:27 PM

I dig curling and want to try it (we have the curling arena from 2002 and they have lessons) but my boss tried it a few years ago and ended up with a concussion from falling on the ice.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: February 21, 2014, 11:58:44 PM

I dig curling and want to try it (we have the curling arena from 2002 and they have lessons) but my boss tried it a few years ago and ended up with a concussion from falling on the ice.

When I learned to curl back in junior high, as part of gym class after a number of local rinks donated time at rinks to the schools, we were taught a very simple way to deal with that; "It's ice. It's slippery. Don't fall. If you fall, use your arms. If you hit your head, stop being an idiot and pay attention." But then, around here a great many people just shake their heads when they hear walking on ice is dangerous to anyone but the old, infirm or careless.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #134 on: February 22, 2014, 12:18:03 AM

Well to be fair he was in his 60s.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #135 on: February 22, 2014, 10:22:33 AM

Choke job USA.

schild
Administrator

Reply #136 on: February 22, 2014, 10:31:09 AM

The Russian win in the biathlon relay was great. That said, what a stupid fucking event.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: February 22, 2014, 02:05:11 PM

Wow, the US hockey completely shit the bed.  I know it must be disappointing to only be playing for Bronze, but what a complete lack of heart and effort.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #138 on: February 22, 2014, 02:14:57 PM

The US Olympics team is a complete failure to me now. The Women choked away the Gold, the Men didn't even show up in either game. What a disaster. I don't give a shit about the medal count, or winning sports we invented like snowboarding and half-pipe.

Blah.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #139 on: February 22, 2014, 06:04:49 PM

Yup - between the shitty performances in Alpine and Short Track events, and the complete clusterfuck that has been the US hockey teams, these Olympics have been an epic failure and a waste of time.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Winter Olympics - 2014  
Jump to: