Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Winter Olympics - 2014 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Olympics - 2014  (Read 38532 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:33 AM

I suppose we need a thread for this, no? 

Watching this Slopestyle competition a little bit this morning.  I think this a new event for OL?  It's pretty cool, it looks a great deal like what you see in those SSX video games.  I didn't actually know pro snowboarders could pull off some of that shit in real life.  I like this better than the half-pipe stuff.

Bring on the figure skating!  Or not.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:30:10 AM

As long as we spend time ogling the awful venue and speculating on why they are in Sochi, sure.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:35:17 AM

Is this the first time they have had a bunch of events on TV prior to the actual opening ceremonies or do I just not remember it?
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 07:00:21 AM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:15:51 PM

This is only going to show that world that Russia is a true Third World country even though most people don't think of it that way. 

I have never played WoW.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:16:23 PM

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:04:12 PM

Bonus points for him referencing Clint Malarchuk in his rant.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 02:10:41 PM

I am with Drew- I watch most of the speed/aerial sports just in case someone wipes out. And yes, I know this makes me a terrible person. It is about 74th on the list  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 02:40:30 AM

When does hockey start?  Because that's all I care about.  I don't give 2 fucks about downhill moguls, skeleton, cross country skiing (what an awesome spectator sport that must be) or whatever other obscure sports they drag out every 4 years for 2 weeks.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 06:18:16 AM

When does hockey start?  Because that's all I care about.  I don't give 2 fucks about downhill moguls, skeleton, cross country skiing (what an awesome spectator sport that must be) or whatever other obscure sports they drag out every 4 years for 2 weeks.

The 12th

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Slopestyle competition just finished, and the first medals are now in the books

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 02:33:49 AM

Also, now there is something on called Skiatholon.  Apparently, this means doing a big ole loop of cross-country skiing, and then you make a pit stop and change skis, and then keep going.  WTF.  I get why they need to have cross country skiing in the Games.  I absolutely don't get why there has to be so many different events, because there is virtually zero excitement involved from a pure sporting point of view.  The relative speed is not impressive, there are few actual racing "moments" and they look positively retarded and ungraceful while doing it.  And the winner will be a random Norwegian, because shit, that's how they commute to work.  And it's just about as fun to watch as morning traffic. 

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 06:07:34 AM

Nordic skiing ins like the long distance running in the Summer games. It is an endurance sport.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 06:34:19 AM

I remember one year they showed the entire marathon on TV for the Olympics. I was like... it's a camera on a truck following somebody running for 3 hours. Seriously?

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 07:18:15 AM

Those judges are either clueless or corrupt

Its the Olympics.. so you can be fairly certain its both. There's already reports of Russian and American judges agreeing to help each other in figure skating (judging corruption in figure skating!? Never!) to screw the Canadians (I mean, really?). I have no idea how true the reports are, which came from a French magazine I believe, but given the history of the Olympics? Guilty before proven innocent really, when it comes to judges.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 08:00:23 AM

Nordic skiing ins like the long distance running in the Summer games. It is an endurance sport.

That's true, and it has its place.  Problem is that there is just too freaking much of it.  It would be like if you the marathon in the summer games....and then also ran a 15 mile race, a 20 mile race, a 40 mile race, and then repeat all those again, but with breaks to do some archery.  And then do another set of those same distances where halfway through the race, you have to change your shoes.  Possibly just prior to more archery.  Exciting!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 08:01:48 AM

I posted it on Twitter which got retweeted by Drew Magary (highlight of my day for a joke), but the only thing that would make cross-country skiing remotely interest is if they released a pack of wolves five minutes after the start.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 08:02:40 AM

Cyrexx, You do realize that there are like 15 distance races of barrios flavored I. The summer Olympics, right?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 08:13:54 AM

I'm not even sure what you are saying...barrios what?  Whatever it is, I doubt it is prime time viewing like X Country is here...and it actually makes up a big chunk of the medal count, too.  It doesn't help that I live in a Nordic country.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 08:15:45 AM

As a Norwegian who occasionally enjoys watching stuff like cross-country skiing and biathlon, I have a harder time understanding the fuss about stuff like 100m sprint, which lasts for all of 10 seconds. Months of training. For ten seconds of sprinting.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 08:33:57 AM

God damn autocorrect on my phone screwed me.

"various flavors in" not "barrios flavored i"  ACK!

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 09:48:20 AM

Well that makes more sense, then.  I don't think they are comparable, personally.  Also, 15 is a fairly small number as a %.

But whatever.  People who are more exposed to it probably enjoy it more than those of us who aren't, much as Xuri points out.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 11:05:36 AM

Well, it looks like there might be another figure skating controversy involving conspiracy between judges, this time with the US and Russia (allegedly) agreeing to help each other in different events.  Oh figure skating, never change. awesome, for real

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/alleged-pact-between-us-and-russian-judges-would-shut-canada-out-of-figure-skating-gold/article16762373/
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 11:49:25 AM

Anything that needs judges to decide the final scoring isn't a sport. It's a farce.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 03:19:35 PM

Anything that needs judges to decide the final scoring isn't a sport. It's a farce.

You just de-sportified boxing, judo, and kendo among others.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 03:22:45 PM

I'm fine with that. Fights don't need judges, they need one guy on the ground and the other guy standing with his arms in the air.

The judging in boxing in particular is a farce too.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 04:11:35 PM

Yeah that's uh ... not how kendo works.

edit: In any case, pretty much every sport has referees, who can also be pretty subjective in how they interpret the rules. Judges are just more powerful refs.

So I guess the only real sport is fencing with their robo-judges.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:13:53 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 04:16:12 PM

I don't really think martial arts are sports. They are sort of their own thing where you're training to kill each other, but you never actually kill each other.

To expand: even though sports have refs, they have scoring systems that are fairly simple. Ball goes in net, puck goes in net, ball crosses line, guy finishes faster than other guy, etc.

It's not scoring by a bunch of really subjective material on whether or not the ball went in the hoop.

This also isn't to say that other endeavors aren't competitions in their own artistic right, but they are more art than sport.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:20:44 PM by Paelos »

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 04:20:17 PM

At no point are the people training in kendo "training to kill each other." It's specifically been sportified. The way you hit each other is not how you'd hit each other if you were trying to murder your opponent, and no one I've encountered in kendo thinks otherwise. There's some grumping from the older school people that it's getting TOO sporty, but only in that the focus is shifting to "win" rather than "win properly."

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 04:22:33 PM

It's guys fighting with fake swords. I can't say I'm familiar with the judging but I imagine it has some artistic components.

If it's just a bianary scoring system of hitting people, then I don't see why you need judges.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 04:35:57 PM

If it was "point, yes/no," you'd still need judges, just like you still need refs in soccer. Is it the name? Is it because they're called "judges" instead of "refs?"

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 04:48:14 PM

Even fencing with its electronic scoring still needs referees.

Over and out.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 04:51:28 PM

And someone has to tell you if that field goal was good or that home run was fair or foul.

EDIT: Actually, I think baseball is probably not a sport by this definition, because of ball/strike calls.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 05:02:04 PM

Neither is football with its subjective 'what is really a catch' and pass interference calls, which can directly impact scoring plays.

Over and out.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 05:07:45 PM

Basic argument can be translated to: "I don't enjoy it so it is not a sport"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Winter Olympics - 2014  
Jump to: