Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:26:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332608 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1015 on: January 05, 2017, 08:39:53 PM

What the fuck do they even have left? EQ1 and EQ2 and the Planetsides? Or is Planetside 1 even still around?

OH yeah and DayZ H1Z1. So mostly past glories and fading dreams?

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1016 on: January 05, 2017, 08:52:54 PM

What the fuck do they even have left? EQ1 and EQ2 and the Planetsides? Or is Planetside 1 even still around?

OH yeah and DayZ H1Z1. So mostly past glories and fading dreams?

Don't forget DC Universe. awesome, for real
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1017 on: January 05, 2017, 10:41:22 PM

Planetside 1 is dead, yeah, but they did just acquire D&D Online and LotR Online, so I'm sure the fans of those games are looking forward to a bright future with renewed development for a long time to come.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1018 on: January 06, 2017, 01:08:12 AM

I think it was pretty obvious once Sony sold off soe to the investment group that owns Daybreak Games, probably for pennies on the dollar, that DBG were just going to milk what they had until the teat ran dry and either sell them off or close them down.  Even considering the anemic line up of games under their umbrella, I'm sure they're making quite a bit of profit off of EQ and EQ2 alone so I don't expect those two to shut down anytime soon, though it's probably the end for anything new in the EQ franchise.  They weren't making any money from Landmark because they already suckered people on the founders packs years ago and no one new was playing/paying.  EQN was going to cost way too much to make and even if they did have the money they lacked the talent and leadership to make it happen.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:23:46 AM by Ginaz »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1019 on: January 06, 2017, 09:23:06 AM

It's kinda funnysad how someone can fuck up a AAA budget minecraft.

The fact that NOBODY has been able to make a good AAA version is a testament to the ineptitude of the video game industry as a whole.

Even the ones I enjoy, like 7 Days to Die, are so incredibly primitive compared to modded minecraft...and most of the good knock-offs are small or solo projects.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1020 on: January 06, 2017, 02:28:15 PM

My guess would be that DBG will at some point sell off the EQ franchise (the only real asset they have) to an Asian company like Nexon because a lot of them are flush with cash these days, much more so than any western company not named Blizzard.  If there ever is going to be an EQ3, it will be made in Asia.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1021 on: January 06, 2017, 03:25:51 PM

Seems reasonable. DBG were investors not developers. They'll mine the asset until the ROI no longer has more value than a sale so they can allocate the money to some other sector. It's not as if they bought it for a love of the games.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #1022 on: January 08, 2017, 07:08:49 AM

DC Universe could have been fun like City of Heroes, but is so wonky with the controls that I couldn't get into it. They have a great character builder, but then as you advance you get frustrated, I hated having to smash certain keys in a row to maybe trigger my power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: January 08, 2017, 09:16:14 AM

I have a shit ton of SOE currency, is that still good for anything? I think like five years ago i dropped 80 bucks on a triple points weekend for planetside 2 and never got around to using them.

I am the .00000001428%
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1024 on: January 08, 2017, 12:30:59 PM

Yes you can still use it. It got converted to Daybreak cash and you can use it the same way as you were using Station Cash. E.g. last year I started playing PS2 a bit again and I spent most of my former Station Cash on PS2 items.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1025 on: January 08, 2017, 05:14:26 PM

So PS2 and DCUO are my options? and EQ2 i guess?

I am the .00000001428%
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1026 on: January 09, 2017, 07:28:08 AM

It really sucks to see all that user generated content go up in smoke. Really great chance to release the voxel stuff to the open source community and run with it. "We know you spent years of your life creating things in this framework for this specific environment, and now we're just going to wipe it out completely."

What a shame about the investment group stuff. You know they won't let anything like that happen.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1027 on: January 09, 2017, 10:27:15 AM

I still think the idea of letting players build stuff was genius. They got a lot of really nice buildings from dedicated and talented people who were really really happy to be giving their labour away for free. Obviously there was a lot of bad stuff too, but separating the good from the bad is a lot cheaper than making it all yourself.

They should never have tried to turn Landmark into a fully-fledged game though, as it effectively meant gating off some of the creation tools behind a grind (eg making people gather resources to construct building tools).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1028 on: January 09, 2017, 11:02:27 AM

The whole harvesting grind in early alpha is what killed the game for me. Once you've seen the 4 or 5 biomes they had, having to return to what is essentially just endless wastelands sporadically broken up by people's creations just to dig a hole in the ground for stone is super grindy.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1029 on: January 09, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Yep, looking back on the thread, that's what killed it for me. And that was a really early thing.

All they had to do was look at the progression added in by minecraft mods for a solution. A whole tech/magic menu of options.

Like I've said for years, it's baffling nobody is doing this. It's all laid out already, just make it in not-java and high poly graphics.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1030 on: January 09, 2017, 11:54:49 AM

I loved dinking around and coring out huge strip mines then building stuff. I ran out of ideas more so than burning out on the grind, but that said, I could FEEL the grind crawling closer.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1031 on: January 09, 2017, 12:21:18 PM

Zero surprise, and I would be very impressed if they find anyone who wants EQ when they are done with it. The western MMO market is basically WoW and some legacy games and the Asian market wants shiny, pretty and twitchy MMO's for which EQ is not even a good foundation.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: