Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:14:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332599 times)
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: December 19, 2014, 04:37:42 PM

Back down for emergency maintenance ETA 1 hour.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #876 on: December 21, 2014, 10:53:02 PM

Well, got a lot more hours in this over the weekend. Only thing I haven't messed around with has been the whole linking and triggering stuff, mostly because I find it hard to sit down and figure out what to build. Hell, my claim is just all the crafting/refining stations strewn all over a rough hill. I will say the new emitters are really cool though. Anyway...

Combat's fun, if basic right now. The camera bothers me the most though, still feels sluggish and jerky. Since you have to move around a lot to keep from getting hit, it poses a problem sometimes. Much worse for melee than ranged, though, using the daggers I don't really have that problem, or at least as bad. Maybe it's because you move faster with them in combat. Also, good amount of weapon/armour variations now, although obtaining them is  the hard part.

The mobs themselves are also simple, though they do have one or two moves/tells you should keep an eye out for, the Chompers particularly. They have slow wind-up attacks that hit very hard. The rest pose no real difficulty yet, though fighting Abominations as a melee can be annoying. Get a bow with the Slayer's outfit to chew through them efficiently. Also, mobs' difficulty does increase the deeper you go underground, but only their health right now.

The underground cave system is pretty much the same as before, just much, much deeper, holding the greater tiered ores/gems the deeper you delve. Since the surface caves are gone temporarily, it's best to just teleport to the different tiers instead of spending 10-20 minutes digging from the surface like I did. I thought there would be more really large caverns, but it still seems to be a lot more of the winding tunnels  than anything else. The large cavernous rooms that hold the ruins seem to be pretty rare right now. Nice thing though is you can sometimes find a large amount of chests in them. And although it's a bug, if you really want to find the large caverns right now, drill/mine yourself a small tunnel to walk into, equip a weapon, and your camera will be able to clip through the world so you can see other nearby tunnels and what not to dig towards.

As for new loot, there's a ton of it. Mostly weapons, armour and accessories, along with the separate recipes to make them yourself, but also a lot of 'broken' items specifically for salvaging purposes, and atmospheric emitters for building. All the new monsters drop this stuff. I've been killing mobs mostly on the surface as it seems easier to find them up there than down in any cave system right now.

And that brings me to the worst part of the patch, the new crafting progression.

If you're starting fresh or relatively so, you will have it rough. To make any pick/axe/weapon/armour/accessory now, you need ether shards, aspects, and essences predominantly. Ether shards aren't too bad as you can get them from ancient earth, monsters, and sifters. Getting a Ground Sounder and scouring the surface for ancient earth deposits is the best way. The aspects and essences however, are gotten by salvaging gear at an Ether Stone. As a new player, the only way to get gear to salvage so you can make a new pick/weapon/whatever, is to fight monsters.

The forge offers some no-cost adventuring gear you can craft, giving you a chest piece, boots that allow you to dodge roll, and a really bad sword. All you can do with the sword is left-click-to-swing, and nothing else. Chompers and wisps are really the only thing you can fight easily with it as you can dance around them flailing. Now, you can find weapons and armour from these mobs, so that's not too bad. But if you want to make a new pick/axe/sickle, you're going to have to farm mobs for 'broken' items to salvage and turn into aspects. And man does it suck farming with that shitty sword. Get a weapon upgrade first and foremost if you need to do this. Not sure how they'll alter this from feedback, but if anything I hope they make broken items work like ether shards, obtainable from both monsters and ancient earth.

There might be more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Despite all that, it's probably their best update yet. There's now somewhat of a game amidst it all.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: December 22, 2014, 11:23:57 PM

As someone who enjoys Terraria far more than Minecreaft, that all sounds pretty good.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #878 on: December 30, 2014, 10:15:46 AM

Thanks for the update, I'll go ahead and keep ignoring this for a while longer, I guess.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: January 02, 2015, 09:09:49 AM

Frankly if you are not already in it I would just wait until the open beta is announced. That is when the last big beta wipe happens and by that time the achivements and all basic game play should be in. The open beta is basically a soft release launch from what I am hearing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #880 on: January 02, 2015, 12:22:57 PM

I was in day one, heh. I had some fun with it, but it seems to be going in a direction I find less fun.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: January 02, 2015, 03:00:16 PM

It's funny the more stuff like combat they add the less likely I have been to log in.  Now I just drop in once in a while to pay claim upkeep.  Not that I have anything fantastic to maintain but I do like the location.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: January 02, 2015, 04:10:13 PM

It's funny the more stuff like combat they add the less likely I have been to log in.  Now I just drop in once in a while to pay claim upkeep.  Not that I have anything fantastic to maintain but I do like the location.
I actually am at the point where posting on the Landmark forum could get me banned, I tried communicating serious issues directly to the devs, and had even been a vocal person known to everyone from chat in livestreams who was banned from the Twitch channel. I also happen to still be leader of one of the largest guilds, and was trying to get with an old EQ friend to do a comedy stream with the painful comedy of my game crashing or us bug testing while sight seeing. Right now half the guild membership are unable to play or upset about one change or another; doing the same as Tmon, only paying their upkeeps. The combat changes messed up all of the harvesting things, and many of them are still broken (leader of Woodcutter's Local and tree chopping animation has been busted SINCE AUG still is today).

The problem is I personally don't want to log into the game because it's not the game it once was, and because it still is optimized horribly, with play that is the antithesis of fun right now. Clicky type combat isn't gonna draw me in, especially when I have all this graphical glitchy, ridiculous LOD/textures draw issues, and animations that overlap/break/stick all over the place, while melting my older video card. Them adding grindy bullshit makes me not want any part of it (new shard=SOEsharting all over non combat people), especially when the upgrade system before was incomprehensible (and THIS IS WORSE).

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #883 on: January 02, 2015, 04:56:00 PM

don't want to log into the game because it's not the game it once was

I am not disagreeing with you or anything like that, and it's not about Landmark. I am just quoting this for posterity. It's a strange era for gaming when you can say stuff like that about games... months if not years before they are even released.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: January 10, 2015, 09:27:05 PM

Wellll.... that's also an indication of this time of gaming. How long has it been since we could have complete game experiences in games not technically live?

For all intents and purposes, Landmark has launched. It exists as a thing people can purchase, discover, master, burn out, and leave. SOE collected money, probably booked the revenue, and the stockholders got their equity. They made X money on Landmark next year because they shipped a thing people could receive.

BUT all of this is within a context where SOE can basically do whatever the heck they want under the permissive label of "beta".

So, we're beyond paying to beta and well within paying to R&D, going through the "love it"/"mastered it"/"bored with it" cycle all within a specific version numberOhhhhh, I see.

I'm ok with that. Loved Landmark however many versions ago it's been since I was in. Won't be back in any scenario. No different from Fez nor Tomb Raider.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: January 10, 2015, 09:40:34 PM

So, we're beyond paying to beta and well within paying to R&D, going through the "love it"/"mastered it"/"bored with it" cycle all within a specific version numberOhhhhh, I see.

It's the last throes of the "I need to get in on the ground floor this time" attitude.  People rarely get in on the ground floor of their first MMO, and they vow that the next time they will.  As they've opened up games earlier and earlier people haven't lost this mentality.  If you start playing on launch now you're considered behind. 
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #886 on: January 24, 2015, 03:11:39 PM

I finally tried this. I don't know if it's my system, or what, but performance is not great. It feels like I'm playing a game 10 years ago on an underpowered computer.

I gathered 500 agates and 1500 copper ore, but critters are not fun to fight, and apparently need to kill them to advance. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing beyond that so I can craft better items to kill critters and mine with?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #887 on: January 24, 2015, 03:20:55 PM

I don't think you really have to kill critters. They just introduced them and they can be fought you really want to and in some caves they protect some treasures, but for the most part it's a game where you collect resources and build stuff because you like to build stuff. So go build stuff and forget about the critters.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #888 on: January 24, 2015, 04:33:58 PM

I'm supposed to make a thing to make a grappling hook and a mechanical pulverizer so I can go into caves?

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do other than follow the beginners guide.

Everything to make to increase mining needs shards, which you get from killing critters - unless there's another way to get them?

Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: January 24, 2015, 06:00:55 PM

You can get Ether shards from patches of Ancient Earth on the surface or underground. Make a Ground Sounder, which isn't too bad material wise if I remember, and it will make finding it much easier.

New user experience right now is non existent, so it's going to be annoying to progress. You will still need to kill mobs/find chests too for broken items if you want to make better picks, but weapons/armour/accessories/etc can randomly drop from them at least.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #890 on: January 24, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

A very kind player took me under her wing and got me started. What a difference that made! She showed me what ancient earth looks like, helped me to harvest, basically gave me a tutorial, took me into a cave, etc.

Then she told me to go check out Adventure, Abyss. Wowzers! Some pretty fancy craftiness there.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: January 24, 2015, 11:18:00 PM

I finally tried this. I don't know if it's my system, or what, but performance is not great. It feels like I'm playing a game 10 years ago on an underpowered computer.
This game's performance has been in the toilet since June, and has gotten progressively worse for my machine since then. Since the addition of combat the game will either crash immediately on launch, load to a blank white screen, and even worse, will open for 2-3 minutes before overheating my PC or closing itself to desktop if I move/do stuff. I've played with it basically mimicking EQ1 as a semi slideshow for months and nothing has improved for me on this front; even though some people have had things improve, it's not getting better but worse for me, mostly centered around me not being able to afford computer upgrades.

I gathered 500 agates and 1500 copper ore, but critters are not fun to fight, and apparently need to kill them to advance. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing beyond that so I can craft better items to kill critters and mine with?
The combat is very repetitive, requires almost no tactics or skill, and is mostly dependent on getting upgraded weapons. I actually hate it, and cannot tolerate the amount of clicking required, or spend any amount of time doing it. I tired of it quickly when it was first brought in with PvP, and now with PvE monsters it's worse.  It also throws lots of graphics and particle effects that further cripple my PC performance, which was why all 5 attempts of mine at fighting surface monsters resulted in my computer saying "hell no".

I'm supposed to make a thing to make a grappling hook and a mechanical pulverizer so I can go into caves?

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do other than follow the beginners guide.

Everything to make to increase mining needs shards, which you get from killing critters - unless there's another way to get them?
Like Bhazark said (and you were shown) ancient earth is one way to get them without combat, the other way to get them is from deconstructing things you find or craft.

If you want to visit my one "guild" claim, I have surplus grappling hooks and pulverizers there, for Free in chests that anyone can take. I was there Wed and there were still tons of stuff there that the guild keeps dropping off (recipes, items and other stuff too).

Easy way to travel there is using the "Gallery" and you can travel to anyone's claims through there, without any cost, with relatively no cooldown, and from anywhere. Hit the B key, or the shopping cart icon in the bottom left, then hit the "Gallery" tab and search by my character's name Laozee. It's connected to the Woodcutters 419 Beach claim, and the five shared chests are directly to the right of the port in; on the claim "Community Chest".

If the game would run consistently for me, I'd offer some in game help/items, some team up harvesting/combat, more basic training or send a guild invite... but I tried logging in earlier this evening with no luck. After 4 times of the game loading to a white screen with no character select (even left it sitting for like 10 minutes and tried clicking where the play button should be) I just decided to not even bother. I might prop the box fan against my case again Sunday, which was a temporary fix to remain in the game for longer than 5 minutes (but required me to don a coat and hat inside my apartment and turn my heat down in the cold Northeast).

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #892 on: January 27, 2015, 03:46:39 PM

Update today, they are adding in achievements, more building materials and textures and a doohicky you can craft that will help you find caves.

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-1-27-15.52848/

Servers are expected to be down for the patch until at least 6pm Pacific Time.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #893 on: January 27, 2015, 04:58:51 PM

If you want to visit my one "guild" claim, I have surplus grappling hooks and pulverizers there, for Free in chests that anyone can take. I was there Wed and there were still tons of stuff there that the guild keeps dropping off (recipes, items and other stuff too).

Easy way to travel there is using the "Gallery" and you can travel to anyone's claims through there, without any cost, with relatively no cooldown, and from anywhere. Hit the B key, or the shopping cart icon in the bottom left, then hit the "Gallery" tab and search by my character's name Laozee. It's connected to the Woodcutters 419 Beach claim, and the five shared chests are directly to the right of the port in; on the claim "Community Chest".

If the game would run consistently for me, I'd offer some in game help/items, some team up harvesting/combat, more basic training or send a guild invite... but I tried logging in earlier this evening with no luck. After 4 times of the game loading to a white screen with no character select (even left it sitting for like 10 minutes and tried clicking where the play button should be) I just decided to not even bother. I might prop the box fan against my case again Sunday, which was a temporary fix to remain in the game for longer than 5 minutes (but required me to don a coat and hat inside my apartment and turn my heat down in the cold Northeast).

Thank you!

My system doesn't like combat a whole lot either. I'm running recommended specs (although not a recommended graphics card; I have a AMD pieceoshit) but it seems to want more. I ordered 8g more ram for my 3 year old pc and I'm hoping that does the trick.

Meanwhile, the beginner experience is lacking. Cockblocks everywhere. Need a better weapon or tool? Have to slaughter things. Need a sickle? Have to get iron. I do have a founders pickaxe, which negates having to use the adventurers pickaxe, which can't even mine iron even if I did find it, which I haven't yet.

They really need to do a wipe so that everyone starts fresh and can see the awful beginners game.

I wish combat wasn't necessary. Sluggish performance and a crappy sword make for unfun.

Currently I've accessed caves by using the leylines, not by digging. That's going to change things a great deal. There are nasty monsters where I've looked for iron. My inventory is full. Vaults require iron. Iron is needed.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: January 28, 2015, 09:38:37 AM

Send me (tmon) an in game email and I can mail you some Iron.  You can also store stuff in chests,  which may be easier to craft.  Vaults are useful because they are linked so you can access stuff in a vault from any vault, including the ones on other peoples claims if permissions allow.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #895 on: January 28, 2015, 09:09:15 PM

A very kind player took me under her wing and got me started. What a difference that made! She showed me what ancient earth looks like, helped me to harvest, basically gave me a tutorial, took me into a cave, etc.

Then she told me to go check out Adventure, Abyss. Wowzers! Some pretty fancy craftiness there.

She.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #896 on: January 29, 2015, 01:27:43 AM

I don't even know where to begin telling you how stupid this last post is. Do you miss the Eighties that much?

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: January 29, 2015, 11:53:20 AM

Send me (tmon) an in game email and I can mail you some Iron.  You can also store stuff in chests,  which may be easier to craft.  Vaults are useful because they are linked so you can access stuff in a vault from any vault, including the ones on other peoples claims if permissions allow.

Thank you! I didn't realize chests could be crafted.

I'm trying to play the game as intended, but wow, the starting player experience is very lacking. They also just made the mobs harder last patch. It's pretty tough to kill mobs to get stuff to make killing mobs easier when they're too hard to begin with.

'Too hard' has a lot to do with the hesitation period between me pushing a button and my avatar executing the command.

(Adding memory to my system won't help, since I have no available slots - I thought my ram configuration was different than it is. So I need to return the ram. Maybe Landmark will work on optimization so the game actually runs on minimum systems - nah, who am I kidding?)

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #898 on: January 29, 2015, 01:20:13 PM

I don't even know where to begin telling you how stupid this last post is. Do you miss the Eighties that much?

Are talking to Tale? That Southpark pic is not from the 80s, obviously, since it is from the WoW episode.

I have never played WoW.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: January 29, 2015, 03:28:35 PM

I took a quick look at the chest recipes and they require more resources than the vault, so you should probably work towards that first.  Also, as far as I know only the two chests (large and ornate) can be used for storage crates, barrels and boxes cannot.  I can't imagine what starting out is like now, it was moderately annoying when all you had to do was wander around looking for surface resources.  Now it seems like they make harvesting, crafting and building more confusing and painful with every patch.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: January 29, 2015, 09:11:00 PM

I took a quick look at the chest recipes and they require more resources than the vault, so you should probably work towards that first.  Also, as far as I know only the two chests (large and ornate) can be used for storage crates, barrels and boxes cannot.  I can't imagine what starting out is like now, it was moderately annoying when all you had to do was wander around looking for surface resources.  Now it seems like they make harvesting, crafting and building more confusing and painful with every patch.

The only part that I mind is the combat. I would like this game a great deal more if the combat was either gone or easier for me. (I have no idea what it's like on a new computer - mine is 3 or 4 years old.)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #901 on: January 30, 2015, 12:30:41 AM

Are talking to Tale? That Southpark pic is not from the 80s, obviously, since it is from the WoW episode.

The 80s is when a stupid joke about "all" the women on the internet being actually men would have still made any sense. Now it's stupid and interestingly kind of offensive to the women here on f13 who play as much as any man (and who I am sure didn't take any offense and certainly don't need any defense. So don't take my post as a defense of any kind, just as a statement that such post was really stupid).

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: January 30, 2015, 06:36:02 AM

When most of your post is a legal disclaimer maybe you are over-reacting to a silly one off... or you just want a piece of Tale

yes, this post was just so I could hit that punch line.  Lighten up, Francis.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: January 30, 2015, 05:59:51 PM

The 80s is when a stupid joke about "all" the women on the internet being actually men would have still made any sense. Now it's stupid and interestingly kind of offensive to the women here on f13 who play as much as any man (and who I am sure didn't take any offense and certainly don't need any defense. So don't take my post as a defense of any kind, just as a statement that such post was really stupid).
What? Your post made sense until the part where you tripped over yourself. That whole disclaimer came straight out of left field.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: February 01, 2015, 05:36:14 PM

Actually, before anybody gets pissed, I'm just kinda baffled. Like, what actually WAS the point of replying to a post with "She" as if that was a response? I'm not even sure I get it enough to find it shitty.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: February 02, 2015, 01:01:03 AM

Xanthippe related an experience with another Landmark user, including a female pronoun; Tale posted a South Park internet gamer caricature because in 2015 we are still incredulous that women can have good faith interactions on the internet (whether Tale is aware of Xanthippe's gender remains unclear); Falc called out Tale for being regressive, later adding the disclaimer in an attempt to head off the "white knight" bullshit that tends to get thrown around by a certain segment whenever anything approaching gender issues comes up around here.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #906 on: February 02, 2015, 07:42:28 AM

Xanthippe related an experience with another Landmark user, including a female pronoun; Tale posted a South Park internet gamer caricature because in 2015 we are still incredulous that women can have good faith interactions on the internet (whether Tale is aware of Xanthippe's gender remains unclear); Falc called out Tale for being regressive, later adding the disclaimer in an attempt to head off the "white knight" bullshit that tends to get thrown around by a certain segment whenever anything approaching gender issues comes up around here.

"Previously, on F13.net..."  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #907 on: February 02, 2015, 09:14:34 AM

But the real question is why the 80s?  I mean, is that the catch all anachronism decade? 

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: February 02, 2015, 10:37:25 AM

No, it's the last decade in which the idea that only men cared about videogames, although still incorrect, was statistically closer to the truth.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #909 on: February 02, 2015, 10:51:33 AM

Let's just all agree that Tale was being an idiot above and move on.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: