Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332577 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #315 on: February 22, 2014, 10:44:22 AM

I went to my claim today and my stuff was back in my inventory, instead of nicely placed on my plot.  Weird.  I hope it's not like my clothes that won't stay on.  And the big tree root where I was going to hang my lantern is also gone.  In fact, the entire tree has disappeared along with some plants I was going to make pots for.  Also two barrels and they weren't in my inventory.  It's all very mysterious.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: February 22, 2014, 11:51:13 AM

Jeezus...  to be able to sculpt in 3D space like that...
This really REALLY makes me want to update my Giant Monkey lava statue from Minecraft.

Minecraft has been training a lot of people in large scale voxel construction, to Landmark's great benefit.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #317 on: February 22, 2014, 01:20:42 PM

I went to my claim today and my stuff was back in my inventory, instead of nicely placed on my plot.  Weird.  I hope it's not like my clothes that won't stay on.  And the big tree root where I was going to hang my lantern is also gone.  In fact, the entire tree has disappeared along with some plants I was going to make pots for.  Also two barrels and they weren't in my inventory.  It's all very mysterious.

Same on all accounts.  And  awesome, for real at
I hope it's not like my clothes that won't stay on.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #318 on: February 22, 2014, 02:29:29 PM

Well, since it was all in my inventory, I placed it all again, put my red jumpsuit on and logged out for a while.  It was still all there when I got back except for the red jumpsuit.  Back in my inventory.  Also, I seem to have at least two of everything in my vault except the potion I never used which is completely gone.  Then, somehow, I ended up not being able to make a new gold axe because I suddenly have two stone forges instead of one stone and one marble.  I'd report all that but I'm exhausted just posting it here.  Need nap.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: February 22, 2014, 02:48:20 PM

So... I coughed up cash for the alpha. TwoOne question:

Where is the download link?

Where should I look for a claim to be around y'all?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:00:38 PM by climbjtree »
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: February 22, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Unless you're trying to get a plot physically near someone, it doesn't really matter. Server selection, beyond US/EU response times, is entirely pointless. I'm guessing the distinction is there entirely for what they plan to do with Next. Landmark could have easly been just a pool of zones for each geographic region.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: February 22, 2014, 03:58:13 PM

And it's all temporary anyway. At the end of March (currently) the plan is to wipe everything out. You get to keep your templates, but you need to find a new claim and climb the tools ladder again. And they're changing how the current worlds and islands work (instead of jumping between tiered islands you dig down into the world).

Right now you'll find Claims at the edges of any island, about a 6 minute straight from the portal.

None of the F13 people are near each other afaik, though I think Signe said she can see Sky's place from hers?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: February 22, 2014, 07:30:40 PM

The diagonals start with the line tool, but it's a wonky goddamned hack someone on the forum came up with (there is a triangular roof/corner template that goes on next).

I tried this and it certainly works. But it's so unintuitive and that damn Line Tool just seems so intuitive. Kinda started figuring it out so decided to draft a short tutorial.

I haven't kept it on my Claim because it doesn't match the style I'm going for. But I templated the wall for some future project.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #323 on: February 22, 2014, 08:09:36 PM

That's one really addictive thing about Landmark. You can go pretty far down an idle thought's road because once you get bored/it doesn't fit in/next idle thought, just template and delete. You don't lose progress nor materials. It's awesome.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #324 on: February 22, 2014, 08:33:50 PM

Yes, I can see Sky's place from the map.  It's around the corner so I would have to go to the other side of my mountain to see it for reals.  I wouldn't have even known it was his but I saw the big tower with the little English Tudor at the bottom.  I haven't seen anyone with that other than him.  It's different.  This big imposing tower and then a quaint little English Tudor style house that I'm sure his fiancee will create a beautiful garden with roses, johnny jump ups, sweet williams, primroses and perfectly shaped shrubbery.  Perfect place for a morning cuppa.  Until the barbarians from the tower trample all over them, that is. 

Thanks for that little guide, Darniaq.  I have a nice collection so far.  When I finally start building something, I'll have a fair bit of info.  I think I'll wait until next week though, when they upload the new update which sounds like it'll have lots of cool stuff in it. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: February 23, 2014, 08:31:27 AM

I built in the lee of two mountains so I wouldn't have to look at as many of the horrid creations around me :P
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #326 on: February 23, 2014, 10:48:17 AM

I still haven't built anything but I did finally make that golden axe.  Now I'm after the next pick.  Until then I 'll just live in the dirt like a pig.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: February 23, 2014, 12:26:09 PM

I have a couple fast green gold axes and an old silversteel or something blue pick lying around.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #328 on: February 23, 2014, 02:20:47 PM

I can't believe what a HUGE difference wearing two of those harvesting rings makes.  I'm getting a ton of elemental stuff, too.  I have a pick made with that stuff that starts with a V but it's worn.  My gold axe is just a plain gold axe.  What is a "green gold" axe?  Also, if you do /tribaldancing it doesn't go away.  I had to re-log.  I was even dancing when I was harvesting.  Kind of cool but I'm just not that happy today. 

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: February 23, 2014, 02:23:50 PM

I can't believe what a HUGE difference wearing two of those harvesting rings makes.  I'm getting a ton of elemental stuff, too.  I have a pick made with that stuff that starts with a V but it's worn.  My gold axe is just a plain gold axe.  What is a "green gold" axe?  Also, if you do /tribaldancing it doesn't go away.  I had to re-log.  I was even dancing when I was harvesting.  Kind of cool but I'm just not that happy today. 
If you want to cancel an emote you do /stand to just go back to standing normally.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: February 23, 2014, 02:46:20 PM

What is a "green gold" axe? 
Quality level, green or blue is all I've seen thus far. Fast because they chop faster.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #331 on: February 23, 2014, 03:28:53 PM

Aha!  Thanks and thanks!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #332 on: February 24, 2014, 03:36:34 AM

The new keyword is "microvoxel". Seems like their engine is more powerful and flexible than intended. Someone explain it to me, please?

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: February 24, 2014, 04:18:38 AM

Yea, microvoxels are the result of Smoothing a 1vx cube down to its smallest visual size. I say "visual size" though because the geometry volume remains the same. So you have a 1vx cube that looks much smaller than 1vx cube.

Now put another microvoxel next to it.

The engine will naturally try and connect the microvoxels. But the way Smooth works, the engine doesn't just try to connect the geometry, but also however the current object looks. So you end up with a thin line. And you put two thin lines next to each other and you get a thin plank.

There's some noodling that needs to be done of course. If you want a lattice work, you need to create it, it will look a bit odd, but you can clean it up. Also I've found it better to create a lattice and wrap a building around it (for lattice in windows, doors, etc) than to create the building and try to put in lattice windows, doors, etc.

SOE confirmed this was a happy accident, they don't plan to support it, but they do intend to let it stay.

Reminds me of song twisting from EQ1. IIRC that was a happy accident too.

Some microvoxel guides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXKAw9e8NBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoNreftB8Zw
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #334 on: February 24, 2014, 07:17:48 AM

I am still waiting for the statues of fornicating centaurs. 

I have to admit that I am surprised at the lack of infantile constructions, or at least, this community's lack of sharing them should they exist.

I have never played WoW.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: February 24, 2014, 07:29:13 AM

Everyone who has access to the tools paid to be there. The boobs and cocks will arrive with F2P.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #336 on: February 24, 2014, 08:35:10 AM

That makes me ask if those paying to be there can be dismissed if one so decided to craft giants boobs and cocks.  Assholes have money to burn too.

I have never played WoW.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: February 24, 2014, 09:01:57 AM

So this is a harvesting thing as well as a building thing? I suck at building, but love harvesting.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: February 24, 2014, 09:24:13 AM

At the moment it is 60% building and 40% harvesting. In fact, in the previous posts lots of people complained about too much harvesting. The thing is, at the moment harvesting is dumbed down as everything that is needed is pretty much overground and easy to find, while in the final product harvesting will be a game in itself with tiers, lots of rare resources that can only be found by digging a lot and knowing the environment (and supposedly by fighting some meanies). There's also supposed to be a market/auction house for resources and rare ones.

I personally find harvesting, in all games, very relaxing and somehow compelling. The perfect break between other supposedly more stressing activities. It's like fishing in real life. Lots of people love fishing, and lots of people find fishing incredibly boring.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #339 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:24 AM

So this is a harvesting thing as well as a building thing? I suck at building, but love harvesting.

I bought the whole thing... well, the EQN bit was a present.  I fully intended to give you one of the beta keys I get unless you bought it yourself.  I think beta starts sometime in March.  Falc would know.  He's my go to guy for news.   awesome, for real  And shoes.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: February 24, 2014, 10:15:51 AM

awesome, for real  And shoes.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Anyway, they say closed beta will start not later than March 31st. It's on their store page, so it should be true.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #341 on: February 24, 2014, 10:18:58 AM

Will it be possible to run a mining business in this game? That always intrigues me.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: February 24, 2014, 10:30:46 AM

I can't believe what a HUGE difference wearing two of those harvesting rings makes.  I'm getting a ton of elemental stuff, too.  I have a pick made with that stuff that starts with a V but it's worn.  My gold axe is just a plain gold axe.  What is a "green gold" axe?  Also, if you do /tribaldancing it doesn't go away.  I had to re-log.  I was even dancing when I was harvesting.  Kind of cool but I'm just not that happy today.  

Yes it is.

Right now I think there's a limit to how long anyone could play the game if they were purely harvesting stuff, even though the mining is fun. But apparently it's all going to change and the best ores will be deep below the surface and require a bit of an expedition to get hold of. Plus there will be caves and things in the caves. So it may be worth watching how it all develops.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:05:56 PM by palmer_eldritch »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: February 24, 2014, 10:32:22 AM

Will it be possible to run a mining business in this game? That always intrigues me.

I would love to know the same thing. I guess it's too early to tell. I did some research and there simply isn't enough information on how the market will work. I think it's all tied to progression and how far they want to go with it. Money will be in the game, and we'll need it to pay the upkeep of our plots and we'll be able to sell "stuff" to vendors that will reside by the main spire/teleport hub. I am pretty sure their to monetize the game includes selling unique props and decorations for money. Will they also allow players to make unique/advanced props or weapons and armours that require crazy amounts of rare materials and would justify the presence of full time miners? Too early to tell. But with no item decay I doubt there will be a neverending demand for mined goods. EVE, the only game where being a full time miner pays off, works on a constant war effort where resources go boom. I can't see anything like that here.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #344 on: February 24, 2014, 10:53:57 AM

Being a full time miner in SWG was very lucrative. Until the unpleasantness.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: February 24, 2014, 11:23:41 AM

That's true. I was a tailor and to a lesser degree a miner. But SWG had item decay and resource consumption. What can I say, I'd love for that to be back in some form.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: February 24, 2014, 11:30:12 AM

So, the Countess and I have been in this since a week or so after it launched, but I just found this thread.

I've had some fun explaining to folks how we paid money to play in the buggy alpha of a free-to-play game. You might be a gaming geek if ... LOL

It's going to be interesting when they add water to the world. It's so obvious but I completely missed it untill the Countess pointed it out, but all that "desert" around the edge of every island? It's gonna be under water! They aren't called islands for nothing. Once you think to look you can see exactly where the waterline will be, with lots of clues from beaches with palm trees to the odd blue tint on the rock textures of what will be underwater. I.ve also seen a couple of dry riverbeds and possible lakes.

I wonder if they will wipe all claims when the great flood hits or what? Lots of folks' current claims and all they've built will be underwater!  Which could eventually be cool if we had glass to build with. But they're gonna need several more islands and/or servers to handle all the refugees when they flood 15-20% of the land?

I've got a modest build (small Tudor style tavern) on a hill at the edge of the dry sea on the ESE side of an island named Draw(?) on some server that also starts with 'D'. I think. The Countess has a nice tower with chapel thing going on a mountaintop to my north, and our son has built, wiped and rebuilt three or four different things on what will be an islet to my east.

So far I enjoyed the mining a lot, hated tree harvesting, have a love/hate relationship with the building, and lots of fragments of ideas I'd like to try but not enough clarity of vision or focus to get anywhere with them. But I don't mine anymore since they vomited all the rares onto the surface and I've got more than I could possibly use of everything except obsidian, and it will all get wiped anyway.  So I mostly just putter and experiment and dink around learning techniques and hoping for some inspiration.

One HUGE difference between this and Minecraft, among many, is that in minecraft, the tedium of deep mining is rewarded with whatever I dug out staying dug out. I can stop and do something else, then go back and pick up where I left off days or weeks later. I can combine the mining with building a safe tunnel between two surface locations, or with eliminating possible spawn points under a spawn farm, or with hollowing out a huge cavern to build a city in, or whatever.  The point is, my changes persist, and outside this tiny box in Landmark, they don't. None of that is possible in Landmark, so I'm very worried wondering how they will be able to avoid having mining for rares quickly become unbearably tedious and unrewarding.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: February 24, 2014, 11:35:42 AM

None of that is possible in Landmark, so I'm very worried wondering how they will be able to avoid having mining for rares quickly become unbearably tedious and unrewarding.

They have said that Pulverizers will allow you do move very quickly through the dirt. Much quicker than using a pickaxe.

Also just some stuff that people might not be aware of.

• The square islands are placeholders
  • The size of the islands are going to be much larger
  • The shape of the islands are going to be random
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:40:16 AM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: February 24, 2014, 11:40:11 AM

Oh and if their answer to mining tedium is that mining for rares is a raid-only activity I am SO out of there!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: February 24, 2014, 11:52:18 AM

Not so much raid activity but they want to give bonuses for doing it in groups and with the pulverizer which is basically a tunneling machine going deep should not be excessively boring although honestly even with my current pick with my two speed rings I could dig down to the lowest level of the map pretty rapidly although my inventory would be totally full of dirt/stone. That is probably the best feature of the pulverizer is that you won't just fill your bags up with nothing but masses of stone.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: