Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332594 times)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: February 14, 2014, 12:14:24 PM

I am not really architecturally creative, so my stuff ends up mostly looking like weird shrines and altar like stuff.

Here is what I am currently working on.

Sadly the little ball of flame in the middle of the obsidian pillars doesn't make it into the screen shots for some reason.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:16:24 PM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #211 on: February 14, 2014, 12:20:03 PM

I turn with Q and E (realistically, with the mouse) and strafe with A and D. Having to hold right click to do so seems incredibly strange, and unfamiliar/unpleasant controls are a reason for me to hold off. Can you invert the mouse?

Same here, which explains the issue.  Hitting shift+key? What game does that?  All the ones I can think of have used Q and E.

There are no mapping controls in at this time so you're stuck with what you get.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #212 on: February 14, 2014, 12:25:29 PM

Ohh god, keyboard turners.

-Rasix
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #213 on: February 14, 2014, 12:37:33 PM

Heh yea. One of youse folked talked earlier in this thread about how time-sinky this is. Very much a MC vibe for me. I spent an hour just trying to master arches, and thern another hour reorganizing my plot so much I am back to almost nothing on it. I literally have nothing to show for my effort except what's in my head, but unlike EQ1 sessions, I am concent with that. The heck?!

Also because the launcher bumped the sys requirements, did we know even the minimum requirement was a quad core processor?

HAHA yes I was just going to check out the new textures wednesday and the new props and then switch to something else. 11PM roles around and I am still futzing with stuff and realize it really is time I need to go to bed. 12pm roles around and I have to force myself to log off.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: February 14, 2014, 12:46:06 PM

Heh  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I can see why you'd write off fans of the current experience as starry-eyed idealists, especially when it's mostly people with a track record of being starry-eyed idealists doing all the posting about it  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Without combat, I don't miss sidestep. Didn't even notice it wasn't there. I have yet to get caught in my own mine; however, that's because I took someone's advice and fast tracked to the grappling hook. The camera sucks. The textures all appear to be pretty low res still. The game provides very little direction.

This is all appropriate for an Alpha. But the kind of person who will enjoy it right now is a pretty narrow group.

But on your comment about the build tools cockblock, I'm still not sure where I land.

On the one hand, it's a big cockblock to the fun. But on the other, that's only if you're determined to solo. There's nothing wrong with soloing of course, and the game is so sparsely populated that you feel like you're walking a world of ruins from some recently dead civilization. But I don't believe there's anything stopping someone from twinking you with the right gathering tools and crafting stations for you to get a Paint or Line tool the first day (not sure: are build tools tradeable?).

Assuming you can ever find them  wink
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: February 14, 2014, 12:57:41 PM

I am not really architecturally creative, so my stuff ends up mostly looking like weird shrines and altar like stuff.

Here is what I am currently working on.

Sadly the little ball of flame in the middle of the obsidian pillars doesn't make it into the screen shots for some reason.

How do you make the flamey effect on the floating things?
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: February 14, 2014, 01:02:52 PM

How do you make the flamey effect on the floating things?

Those are one of the new props. They are obsidian pillars and they are called in game.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #217 on: February 14, 2014, 02:06:00 PM

Protips.

The box on the left you use to select textures, brushes and templates is called a nib. One nice feature of the nib are those numbers. The top number is the amount of the currently selected material it will take to fill the current add brush (so if you last used a 2x2 add brush, it will read 4). But the nice thing is the bottom number, the total amount of the currently selected material. So if I'm mining rubicite ore because I need ten more ingots, I put rubicite ore on the nib (byt selecting the rubicite ore texture), which gives me a running total of rubicite. In my example of 10 ingots, when the counter hits 1000 I can head home.

Plant and rock templates. If you use the select tool to encase naturally occurring props on your claim, you can copy and paste them. If you encompass the entire prop, you can template it! I like to paste it in the air over my prototyping platform to avoid any extraneous stuff in my template.

Also, I have a couple rings and low-mid green/blue tools if anyone wants to find my claim. SW of the portal gem on Serenity/Highland, name is Highland Rook. A castley type experiment. Facilities are in the hillside cave.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:07:58 PM by Sky »
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: February 14, 2014, 02:56:01 PM

Is it possible to make the big claim box disappear when taking screen shots?
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: February 14, 2014, 03:12:35 PM

Yeah, you shouldn't have turning bound to a keyboard key. THAT is what you do while holding down right mouse and moving the mouse sideways.

Free up those keys for abilities. You'll be more effective.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #220 on: February 14, 2014, 04:02:00 PM

Yeah, you shouldn't have turning bound to a keyboard key. THAT is what you do while holding down right mouse and moving the mouse sideways.

Free up those keys for abilities. You'll be more effective.

Strafing, not turning.

Also there is no keybinding. You get what they give you, and mouselook turn is hinky.  The screen doesn't recapture the mouse well right now if you dare to focus another window while running.. so then your turn point is off-center.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #221 on: February 14, 2014, 04:04:57 PM

Is it possible to make the big claim box disappear when taking screen shots?

Yes, from the options, uncheck "Show my claim".

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: February 14, 2014, 04:19:55 PM

I have done that but still it remains.hrmmm
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: February 14, 2014, 05:21:40 PM

You changed in the Settings menu or on the Map options box? The Settings menu one is the toggle.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #224 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31:56 PM

Minecraft uses right click for something else so it's not really weird that people would be surprised to have it be involved in movement in a Mnecraft-genre game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: February 14, 2014, 05:36:40 PM

Right click in MC is placing whatever you're holding. That's left click here.

See? Totally different games!!

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: February 15, 2014, 06:55:13 AM

Nice stuff. There's a poll on the official website to vote for the look of the upcoming pulverizer.
Funny because, let's face it, the discarded concepts will probably be used for some other tier (not to mention that they all look similar enough), but the Community will feel so important and love the Devs back. I wonder how long will the hoenymoon last. Or if it'll ever end. Who said healhy relationships don't exist?

As you know, we're involving you, the community, in our development process. Today, we want your input on some concept art. These concepts are for a new harvesting tool, the Pulverizer.

Here's a note from Senior Art Director Rosie Rappaport:

"We are going to try something new and let the community decide on which Pulverizer you would like to see in-game! The Pulverizer is a technologically advanced harvesting tool that is built for destruction. It cuts through dirt and stone with ease but leaves nothing left to collect. Use the Pulverizer to navigate between caverns and cut through large swathes of terrain. This will be an all new tool, with new animations and particle FX. Take a look a the rough concepts and vote on the number of your choice."

Here are the concepts:

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: February 15, 2014, 11:38:48 AM

I like the second one.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: February 16, 2014, 04:07:40 PM

About two sessions on the tower and an hour today working on the house. Can't really see my cool arch gateway for the back wall of the property. Eventually I'll use that template for sewers, too.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: February 16, 2014, 04:09:09 PM

Lots of chitchatting going on today in the f13 channel. Buggest brute award goes to Palmer_eldritch though, for never talking, replying, or simply acknowledging other people's presence.

Amazing job, Sky!

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: February 16, 2014, 05:26:40 PM

Sorry, I didn't realise anyone spoke in that channel so I never really looked at my chat box!

Lately I have been working on roofs. They are a pain.

About two sessions on the tower and an hour today working on the house. Can't really see my cool arch gateway for the back wall of the property. Eventually I'll use that template for sewers, too.

How did you paint those diagonal lines?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: February 16, 2014, 05:30:35 PM

I don't know how Sky did it, but it looks like the Line tool to me.

And yea, for the first week of play, I thought nobody talked in any channel. The music and vistas well matched the silence smiley Yesterday was the very first time I'd ever seen anyone chat in /f13.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: February 16, 2014, 08:13:06 PM

Kinda sucks right now with the channels split out, so I don't know if anyone has ever spoken while I've been on. I have talked with my neighbor a bit, we're going to trade a bunch of templates once permissions get fixed.

The diagonals start with the line tool, but it's a wonky goddamned hack someone on the forum came up with (there is a triangular roof/corner template that goes on next). But I have templates of the basic panel (the big one in the back), the smaller panels are just cut down from it. And I can only cut so much or they break. This was just a mock-up, I will probably tear it down and make the first story stone. Also have 3x3 and 2x2 columns and a decent round tunnel to cut arches from.

My whole tower is also templated, but it's something like 60k stone so I need to start letting it build up again, I had been sifting everything that went into my inventory because it was taking up so much space.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: February 17, 2014, 01:08:59 AM

I have to admit, sometimes, just for a second, when I see something really crazy good I feel like I don't want to bother anymore. It's depressing, like some of you are on such a different level of understanding the tools and the space that it makes me feel bad. Then it goes away, it's not a competition, and I happily go back to carve my Grimrock-like dungeon inside the mountain and eagerly waiting for props to decorate it and make it into a cool place to hang out.

Still, take a look at this stuff....

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: February 17, 2014, 03:32:34 AM

Those are very nice and I agree that sometimes it's almost discouraging to see what other people can make.

Certainly for the bottom two, we're already reaching a point where some players are making areas that wouldn't look out of place in a game produced entirely by professionals.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: February 17, 2014, 10:27:03 AM

You know what bothers me and I can't find a workaround for? When you add blocks of a different material in a wall made mostly of another material. What I have in mind is a streak of, for example, blue aquamarine, but what I get is... nothing. It's like the stone of the wall swallows the aquamarine in an aggressive attempt to blend them together, but in the final result there's not an inch of blue. Here's a sequence of what I am talking about. There's a line in the wall that I want to put aquamarine in and make it blue basically. But as you can see in the third picture, not a bit of it is visible. I am sure you've all encountered this, and I don't know how they could fix it (maybe differentiate when you place blocks between "blend in" and "keep separate"?), but it bothers me a lot. Not to mention it seems to be bugged no matter what, so sometimes you put a lot of "colour" and it doesn't show, but then you chop away a little of it and then it DOES show. What the hell?

This is another example: in order to get this "blended in" blue circle I put down a blue big sphere and then chopped the top part, and that's fine and I also like the blending. But what with the weird smudges? Anyone has cracked the "blending" algorithm and could give me advices on how to harness it?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:32:00 AM by Falconeer »

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: February 17, 2014, 10:35:00 AM

Lol I so feel your pain when I see the first set of pictures then you struggling in your cave haha. Hopefully there will be a big cave zone in Everquest Next and you can sell some of your designs haha, sorry.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: February 17, 2014, 11:07:46 AM

yup I was dealing with that issue too seems like the natural texture blending sometimes will just eat other materials if the band is to thin as it all sort of blends together. I don't always have this problem so I think to some extent it is certain materials/textures that have this issue more than others.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #238 on: February 17, 2014, 11:08:04 AM

Those are very nice and I agree that sometimes it's almost discouraging to see what other people can make.

Rules for creation:

1) Steal.  All great designers and creators do.  You go to Pintrest/ image search and find something you like.  Recreate it and tweak to your own tastes.

2) Experiment.  Falc's problem is he's continuing with one stone type.  He could be putting granite blocks or polished sandstone and changing the entire look.  What about a single wall of Stucco in a room of red stone.
     2a) Experiment with props.  (Also used in conjunction with #1) See what those guys did with crafting stations and sawmills?

3) Have an idea and work all the way through it.  Take it to completion no matter how bad you think it is.  This is the best way to learn in ANY creative endeavor from drawing & painting to 3d modeling.  Assess once you're done but NEVER until you're done.  You learn so much more this way.

Falc - your issue is related directly to gems and metals using the "raw" skin from my experiments.  They are set to blend together like that and until there's other skins for them you're going to be frustrated.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: February 17, 2014, 12:13:04 PM

Excellent advice, Merusk.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: February 17, 2014, 12:34:09 PM

If we do actually get to a point where SoE is buying people's finished work, how are they going to protect people in regards to their copying tool?  If I sell something that is 80pct another person's design, how will he get compensated?  This seems like an issue that will have to be covered at some point.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: February 17, 2014, 01:23:17 PM

If we do actually get to a point where SoE is buying people's finished work, how are they going to protect people in regards to their copying tool?  If I sell something that is 80pct another person's design, how will he get compensated?  This seems like an issue that will have to be covered at some point.

You can't copy an item that is on someone else's property (you can't select it).

If you mean what happens if a player buys a template, as I far as I can tell people will be making templates in EQ Next Landmark but buying them in EQ Next. Once you import your bought template into EQ Next you won't have any way of selling it on anyway.

Edit: I may be wrong, I seem to recall them once saying something about making a castle but using towers you got from someone else.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 01:28:20 PM by palmer_eldritch »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: February 17, 2014, 01:35:14 PM

Got the second story and roof roughed in. Stitching the two diagonal panels together took a bit of fiddling and I need to clean up the underside of the upper panels. Copy paste in this is a beautiful thing. Rather than risk messing up the wonky diagonals, I'd test it on a copy first. Then copy out a section (or even the whole piece) before going in to mess with things. At one point I messed up a lot of the left side roof...so I just copy and flip-pasted the right side over it.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: February 17, 2014, 03:37:03 PM

Nice work man. That stick-style guide you posted, that's interesting. A good example of the sort of "fourth dimensional" nature of this game's voxel blending. Simply doing the exact same steps in a slightly different order can have remarkably different results.

What I have in mind is a streak of, for example, blue aquamarine, but what I get is... nothing. It's like the stone of the wall swallows the aquamarine in an aggressive attempt to blend them together, but in the final result there's not an inch of blue.

Do you have the paint tool yet? That would create the stripe you're looking for.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: February 17, 2014, 03:52:55 PM

Fuck me..

Also yeah, no paint tools yet. Good to know there's something like that. Can't wait to try it now.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: