Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332585 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 07:29:29 AM

Well it's pretty easy: EQ Next will be built on this same engine, which means it will be the first DIKU with a FULLY destructible environment. For example (as demonstrated at the reveal event) your attacks could destroy part of the dungeon you are in, or a boss aoe could destroy a bridge you are standing on having everyone falling down. This things not being scripted because the world is 100% destructible. Then again, it makes the whole world more dynamic since it will be very easy for the Devs to modify and edit the environment based on what players do (they stated the game will be based more on world common quests than small, individual ones), and it makes the world interactable in a way that hasn't been possible since... ever (closest -but not really- would be SWG).

EDIT: It is only a ploy for them to get a virtually endless flow of amazing buildings and elements to use in EQ Next without having to pay more artists.

So how does that keep people from tunneling around your trash in dungeons?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 07:33:54 AM

So if I pony up $60, do any of the things I get actually benefit me once EQ:N comes along?

Not at all.

First of all, Landmark is gonna be free when it hits Open Beta in a few months. 60$ are just for us stupid people who can't wait.

Second, Landmark will be Open Beta F2P in a few months. EQ Next won't be out until late 2015. Probably 2016.

Third, the two games are completely separate. Nothing you do in EQ Landmark will carry over to EQ Next. They have been very clear about this.

Fourth, if -IF- you can produce something they like and want to use in the Next game, they will ask for your permission and you will be supposedly paid in Glory and Pats on the back. They mentioned the possibility to earn real cash but I am inclined to think it will be mostly among customers. I doubt SOE will ever pay anyone to play their game.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 07:39:22 AM

Well it's pretty easy: EQ Next will be built on this same engine, which means it will be the first DIKU with a FULLY destructible environment. For example (as demonstrated at the reveal event) your attacks could destroy part of the dungeon you are in, or a boss aoe could destroy a bridge you are standing on having everyone falling down. This things not being scripted because the world is 100% destructible. Then again, it makes the whole world more dynamic since it will be very easy for the Devs to modify and edit the environment based on what players do (they stated the game will be based more on world common quests than small, individual ones), and it makes the world interactable in a way that hasn't been possible since... ever (closest -but not really- would be SWG).

EDIT: It is only a ploy for them to get a virtually endless flow of amazing buildings and elements to use in EQ Next without having to pay more artists.

I am sure they will have to put systems in place that prevent that. Having a 100% destructable environment doesn't mean you have to be able to nuke it to the ground. It means they can choose how much of that 100% you will be allowed to break in any given area. 90% on some random hills, 40% in a city, 10% in a dungeon, who knows. "Oops, dwarven walls, your pick can't open a hole here". "Opps, magically protected dungeon, your hammer can't smash this column". But hey, even having 10% of a destructable dungeon is more than the 0% we had so far.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 07:41:31 AM

I get that, but 100% destructible is misleading. It's never like that. Nobody can make a game like that because the players will destroy it.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 07:47:46 AM

Sure. So far Landmark is 99% destructible, the only thing you cannot destroy is the central spire. Everything else you can mine or "erase" from the world. But as specified multiple times, the world heals itself in 20 minutes in shared areas. And that's how it is going to be for EQ Next too.

I think it would be easier to say that it's going to be 99% Interactable instead of 99% Destructible, but the point stands: EQ Next will take place in an engine/world where your character skills will affect the environment, and where you can build and dig the hell out of it. And to answer more succintly to your original question: Landmark is the alpha test prototype of all that.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 07:48:12 AM

I don't see EQ:N being 100% destructible. Probably have regions that are allowed to be destroyed, but limits placed on that. Like you can blow up the walls, but there is a bedrock core or something that's non-destructible to allow for a functioning dungeon.

But didn't we start this thread to separate out the EQ:N talk :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:50:10 AM by Sky »
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 08:59:10 AM

Presumably also a lot of engine testing for EQN.

I'm rather hoping they set aside "spaces" (not ALL the land) for outdoor building at huge cost a la Asheron's Call.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 09:23:49 AM

I still don't completely understand how this fits in with the EQ Next game.

On top of the other answers, I'm pretty sure they're using Landmark to test and develop the crafting system that will be in EQ Next.

Presumably also a lot of engine testing for EQN.

I'm rather hoping they set aside "spaces" (not ALL the land) for outdoor building at huge cost a la Asheron's Call.

Yeah, I think building will be far more limited in EQ Next, eg confined to specific housing areas.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 09:27:20 AM

So if I pony up $60, do any of the things I get actually benefit me once EQ:N comes along?

Not at all.

First of all, Landmark is gonna be free when it hits Open Beta in a few months. 60$ are just for us stupid people who can't wait.

Second, Landmark will be Open Beta F2P in a few months. EQ Next won't be out until late 2015. Probably 2016.

Third, the two games are completely separate. Nothing you do in EQ Landmark will carry over to EQ Next. They have been very clear about this.

Fourth, if -IF- you can produce something they like and want to use in the Next game, they will ask for your permission and you will be supposedly paid in Glory and Pats on the back. They mentioned the possibility to earn real cash but I am inclined to think it will be mostly among customers. I doubt SOE will ever pay anyone to play their game.

In terms of getting paid, that will happen if you design stuff in Landmark and sell the design to players in Landmark or EQ Next, as I understand it. I'm not sure they've said exactly what people will be designing, but I guess it's mainly house or guild hall designs?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 11:04:41 AM

Easy as making the tunneling take longer than the trash.

I am the .00000001428%
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #45 on: February 06, 2014, 12:10:38 PM

So when this goes free to play, will land already be claimed? I'm guessing yes. Also, is there finite space or is it like Minecraft where it's generated.

Will there be anti-cock protections?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #46 on: February 06, 2014, 12:24:12 PM

The pay people have 2 days to grab spots before the hoi polloi get in, I believe.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 06, 2014, 12:24:39 PM

So when this goes free to play, will land already be claimed? I'm guessing yes. Also, is there finite space or is it like Minecraft where it's generated.

It looks like the "open beta" is going to be release and at that point claims are permanent. If you fork up for the $100 package now, you can get a two day head start on claims when it goes live. I think most of the claims stuff will be alleviated with enough servers. It looks, to me, like they already have enough space for the alphas. I was on a T3 this morning and there were nice spots only about 1/3rd of the way from the spires. Not the best spots in the game, but not at all bad.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 06, 2014, 02:08:56 PM

They can add servers and islands indefinitely. Since the point of this game, as opposed to EQ:Next or UO or SWG, IS to have a plot of land and build on it, they will always make sure that everyone will have at least one plot of land. Worry not, there's zero chances that you won't be able to claim your spot. You might not get that beautiful one on the top of a mountain, but everyone will get their own sandbox.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 02:31:43 PM

I can't wait to build my shack on Swampass Island after the good properties get taken.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #50 on: February 06, 2014, 04:05:36 PM

I need to be adjacent to Fordel and proudft so we can booby trap each other's houses.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 06, 2014, 05:03:48 PM

Mmm...booby trap.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 06, 2014, 05:35:23 PM

I got lucky with my first indigo pick and ended up with a nice rare one, wish it had been legendary but I can't complain, this thing mines like a beast. Then I got a fast gold axe that i wear with two damage bracelets, I can chop a big tree down in like 10 swings.

If anyone is looking for nearly the highest end crafting stations, You can see my place just off the teleport in Liberation-Tableland(Tier 3).

P.S. The alabaster forge and cobalt reinforced saw are going to be expensive. It might take me a while to complete those.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:36:54 PM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 07, 2014, 01:08:45 AM

I think leaving comments on claims would be great. I would love to say thanks for all of the peoples crafting equipment I used or tell someone how nice their place looks.
I posted this on the alpha forums and Anduil Astros took it one step farther with some great ideas.
"an up vote or down vote with a 255 char limit, doesn't sound too painful! or a way to send them an in game mail thrugh the claim interface, allowing attachments for gifts ect."
What are your thoughts?

This was on Reddit and both Smedley and Georgeson praised it and sait it's in the works. They also stated this is how people will "report" offensive plots and builds and help them get removed quickly.

Quote from: Dave Georgeson
Feedback on claims is planned! Upvote/downvote is central to the game and will be many places.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 07, 2014, 03:28:44 AM

There will be land for everyone. I don't want to put anyone off paying big bucks for early access as that's what I did after all:) But before long, those of us who did that aren't going to have any real advantage over those who paid nothing, so don't feel you have to pay.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 07, 2014, 06:55:28 AM

Yep, purely an impatience tax. And although I miss the orderliness of building a mine in minecraft, it definitely scratches the itch. That itch being putting on some good tunes and turning off the brain for an hour or two, very relaxing.

I'm not Mr. Indigo Pick up there  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? but even though they say the freebie axe is 'top tier', craft a decent axe. I've got a green fast axe and a blue dmg axe, the green one seems to beat it out so I'd say get fast tools. Also, wider and faster mining tools are awesome. I got lucky on my first bronze pick, so I save my iron pick for stuff that requires it.

I did have a laugh at my expense last night, after chilling out mining for an hour I started to craft (got my tin table, so I could make the keen eye bands!) and realized most stuff I can now make requires topaz and I haven't seen any. I'd been mining tier 2 stuff in a tier 1 island (I needed more tin anyway). So I headed over to a tier 2 island before logging out. I probably should've thought ahead and put my claim on a tier 3 island.

Wonder why you can't recycle tools? I made a few axes and picks to try to get better stats and it says they can't be recycled so I just tossed them. Seems like a waste when resources are a time sink.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 07, 2014, 07:05:50 AM

They said they disabled recycling for the time being as it was yielding too much stuff. They will reenable it as soon as they have some figures on mined materials vs needed materials and the likes.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 07, 2014, 07:10:10 AM

Is someone going to maintain a list of names and claims? *nudge*
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: February 07, 2014, 07:16:51 AM

I managed to get a legendary axe and it's amazing. Chopping trees is ludicrously boring so it's a great improvement.

One thing I wonder about is what the point is of the tech tree grind at all. Six months in, isn't someone just going to be handed a top level legendary axe and pick?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 07, 2014, 07:23:42 AM

Another thing I noticed last night, it's a good thing to be a 64 bit game. It was using almost 5GB of memory, though I'm sure a chunk of that was leakage.

A couple things to peruse:

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33784
https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnlandmark/index.php?threads/creating-a-simple-cylindrical-tower-smoothing-tool.10934/
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 07, 2014, 08:57:21 AM

EU worlds are up per Georgeson.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 01:30:22 PM

I don't see EQ:N being 100% destructible. Probably have regions that are allowed to be destroyed, but limits placed on that. Like you can blow up the walls, but there is a bedrock core or something that's non-destructible to allow for a functioning dungeon.

But didn't we start this thread to separate out the EQ:N talk :)

They clearly already have code for you need this level item to break this level rock so easy enough to code dungeon walls to require a higher level pick than what players likely have or can have. That said though given how the world heals itself over time when not on your claim there is no real reason to bother making dungeons indestructible as anything players do would heal up soon enough.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: February 07, 2014, 02:01:42 PM

As an addition to a more standard MMO I think Landmark is awesome.  It should really fill that housing/crafting part that a lot of people crave.

As a replacement for minecraft it is lacking so far.  Having your claim in the midst of a mostly static world, even when they do add in mobs and stuff later on, is just not what minecraft was about.
Bhazrak
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 07, 2014, 06:08:31 PM

I know it's just resource gathering and building right now, but man, this game has that Civilization issue where time just fucking vanishes, it's 6 in the damn morning and you're trying to figure out how to place the merlons on your asymmetrical castle ramparts. I'll probably be bored of it in a week though once (if) I finish, and will be waiting for new updates to hit.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 02:17:47 AM

PATCH NOTES, FEBRUARY 7th, 2014.

And A honest preview article with some nice pictures.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 02:33:34 AM by Falconeer »

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 07:29:42 AM

PATCH NOTES, FEBRUARY 7th, 2014.

• Burled wood planks now require only 60 burled wood logs to craft (down from 100). Some people may wonder why this gets top billing on today’s update notes… Other people completely understand.

Even though I only play Minecraft, I completely understand.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 08, 2014, 08:55:56 AM

Picked up my claim and moved to Serenity/Highland for some Tier 3 love. Nestled on a nice little mountain that borders forest on one side and desert on the other. Pretty awesome location, looks like someone picked up recently as there was a nice boundary-sized hole in the claim map.

Hopefully someone is happy with my old mountaintop. Honestly, as cool as it was (and it was perfectly situated) with the relatively low detail distance the view kinda sucked. Above the 'tree line' so you mostly just saw the paintball terrain.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: February 08, 2014, 09:31:33 AM

Finally caved and got the Founders Pack. I really like that they start with that few minute video. Starting on Serenity.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 08, 2014, 10:41:53 AM

There are also some videos in the game directory you should check out to get the basics.

Started building today. I heart the selection tool. Going to wait until I get the line tool before I do my workshop roof, though.

Another thing, if you use the selection tool to select props already on your claim (trees, rocks), you can copy and paste to make more!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 08, 2014, 10:48:39 AM

About listing our plots, we could do that but considering we are gonna be wiped multiple times from here to release (at least once from Alpha to Closed Beta and one from Closed Beta to Open Beta), I'd say it is premature. When the time comes, we'll make a guild I suppose and I'm sure that there will be tools to keep track of your guildmates real estate.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: