Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:04:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332591 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: February 08, 2014, 11:08:28 AM

Found a plot halfway to the far eastern edge from the teleport. Will post screenshots later. Immediately got to mining and axing and then building. Three years of daily Minecraft has welll conditioned me to grind harvesting and building block by block. I only even decided to check the Alpha FAQ when it occurred to me I couldn't remove blocks (oh gee, maybe I should notice a few things in my inventory I haven't hotbar'd yet?)

Will make my way back to the teleporter to craft the grapple hook thingy someone mentioned in the other EQN thread, and see about the Selection and Line tools.

I'm going to lose copious weeks of life /played in this. I almost don't care about the EQN game itself smiley

Best $60 I've spent in a long while.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #71 on: February 08, 2014, 11:34:26 AM

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: February 08, 2014, 12:07:41 PM

With the wipes and beta kinda close (on or before Mar. 31), I might just hold off and purchase the Settler Pack.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: February 08, 2014, 12:23:29 PM

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: February 08, 2014, 01:25:54 PM

I decided to pick this up, since I'm a sucker for mineshit. Still very much an alpha, but if they can put everything together then EQN might be the only interesting MMO we've seen in years.

The deformation is engaging, although everything is very alpha. The UI is still balls. Having to hold down the mouse button was terribly annoying, so I made a quick autohotkey script. I'll probably add some more functionality after I finish teching up picks and start building.

linky

Ctrl+Leftmouse will permanently hold down the left mouse key until you press it again, or close the macro.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: February 08, 2014, 01:51:47 PM

Here's my effort so far, very much a work in progress

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: February 08, 2014, 01:52:11 PM

Lovely.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: February 08, 2014, 01:54:24 PM

Nice!

Question: I guess we all got 5 torches in a barrel-icon thing. I was able to place one where I wanted it. However, how do I light it?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #78 on: February 08, 2014, 02:24:41 PM

I think it's just a left click, or maybe a right click.  Can't remember.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #79 on: February 08, 2014, 03:30:05 PM

Left click. And you have to hit esc once after placing it, since the ui still thinks you have it selected. Alpha.

Got a nice rare pick, it's so much better than anything I've had yet, like twice the str and diameter, and fast too. And I got a decent axe, not great but ok. Now to find some damned Sapphire, that's a bitch.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 08, 2014, 04:26:53 PM

I am gonna repeat this here because I am sure it got buried in the previous posts, anyway if you type /join f13 in the chat you will get into the f13 chat channel which is cross-server and persistent (meaning you will auto join it every time you log in). It shouldn't harm.

/join f13

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: February 08, 2014, 04:52:47 PM

Ah thanks on the torch. It wasn't working before, but I assume that's Alpha. Will try the chat channel later.

So I've crafted a Copper Pick, and now want an Iron one. But I can't figure out how to mine the iron i need for it. I keep getting the "tool not good enough" message when I hit what I think is Iron. I have enough wood and copper to craft it, just need the Aquamarines and Iron.

I'll be ingame again in a bit.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: February 08, 2014, 05:02:48 PM

Between the Copper Pick and the Iron Pick there is the Bronze Pick, which will allow you to gather the iron needed for the Iron Pick. To craft the Bronze pick you NEED the Copper Pick so don't throw it away! I got stuck there for a while too, but I can't remember how come I was missing the Bronze Pick. Anyway, it's there. Craft the Bronze to gather iron. Easy as that.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: February 08, 2014, 05:32:10 PM

Ah! I was wondering why I could do Copper and Tin ore. I look at the forge UI and saw Copper and then Iron in order so assumed that was the sequence. I shoulda guessed though because Stone is the last in that list.

Thanks man.

Edit: meant to ask:

Resources in the world: do they spawn in and then stay until depleted (ala MC), or spawn for a period of time and then unspawn (ala SWG)? Just wondering how exploitable it might become (stand on a common spawn point, sit there for each server boot, that sorta stuff).

Oh and also, while min spec is 64bit OS, looks like 3mb broadband is fine (10mb is now recommended, not minimum)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:19:44 PM by Darniaq »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: February 09, 2014, 12:40:12 PM

Awesome Jumping puzzle video  awesome, for real

And the Guyvers School of Dragon Martial Arts.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: February 09, 2014, 12:44:55 PM

Jeez. I've been playing just long enough to guesstimate how long it took to get all the things together to make that smiley

Dumb questions:

I'm in Drift, an unnamed Tier 1 zone. Can't find Topaz though theoretically it's somewhere nearish silver?

How can I chat in a chat channel? I've joined them all, but only see people joining and leaving, but can't see anything being said, even in the f13 channel.

Finally gathered enough stuff to build a tiny homestead with some crafting stations.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: February 09, 2014, 12:50:27 PM

The f13 channel should default to /5, which means "/5 hey I am Darniaq!" should work.

About Topaz, in the tier 1 areas I only found some of it under a tin vein, which was under a copper vein. In tier 2 areas I found it under a silver vein (in tier 2 areas silver is sometimes overground), but I also found a vein that was just there at ground level waiting to be mined. I am sure there's someone who can give you better info since I am not progressing that fast, but I would say Topaz is very rare in tier 1 areas and uncommon in tier 2 areas. And while it can be found at ground level in T2, it is still for the most part supposed to be hiding under silver (or tin?).

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: February 09, 2014, 01:17:54 PM

Topaz was my big first blocker.  I spend 2-3 hours mining for Topaz.  Of course, once I found enough to make my next tools, then I started finding it all over the place.

Game scratches many itches I have.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: February 09, 2014, 02:03:44 PM

Don't forget to move to new harvest areas. I was blocked on Topaz...until I went to a tier 2 island and it's on the surface. That's why I moved to a Tier 3 island with a claim bordering both forest and desert. Though I need to head back for more silver and iron in greater density for some accessory crafting.

I finally hit all my tools, though without a tier 4 island, Sapphire is still slow as hell as the rare spawn under cobalt...and it's a garbage texture that looks just like the dirt around it. Protip: just quick dig each cobalt vein and move on if you see red (which you can't mine yet anyway). I've found three Sapphire veins in hundreds of cobalt veins, so 1% maybe? Enough to give me the rest of the building tools, anyway.

I now have a bunch of crafting stuff at my place on Serenity/Highland, three levels of forge, two of the others.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: February 09, 2014, 02:32:21 PM

Ok, I think I get it.

When you say "island", is that the big square plot with the teleporter at the center? If so, how do I get to a Tier 2 one?

And once I start harvesting i a Tier 2 area, any reason to stay in a tier 1 one, or should I pack up and find a new plot?
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: February 09, 2014, 02:37:49 PM

When you click on the portal stone it tells you what tier each island is.

As for whether you move or not its up to how much you like your spot and how much you like running.  I'm far to the edge and deep in a desert in a tier 1 island and really starting to dislike the travel times.  Its a good 10 min for me to run back to the portal stone.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: February 09, 2014, 02:48:50 PM

Cool thanks I just found a thread on the oboards which outlines the tiers of the minerals. Of course, that leads to more questions... I have found some Silver (usually under Iron) in my "Tier 1" zone. But this guide says it's a Tier 3 mineral. So does that mean it's more on the surface in a Tier 3 zone? Based on Sky's note above, sounds like that'd be the case.

And yea, I like my view and all but I'm far enough from the portal that I've only been home once, and only after I availed myself of the crafting stations all the more advanced players had.

Also from their Alpha FAQ, sounds like this is all just temporary anyway and minerals will be more distributed across all worlds. And that they're removing the 100m depth limitation in place  shocked Gonna be digging all the way to the Nether* it sounds like.

* Yes, I know you can't dig to the Nether in MC smiley

Cool thanks I just found a thread on the oboards which outlines the tiers of the minerals. Of course, that leads to more questions... I have found some Silver (usually under Iron) in my "Tier 1" zone. But this guide says it's a Tier 3 mineral. So does that mean it's more on the surface in a Tier 3 zone? Based on Sky's note above, sounds like that'd be the case.

And yea, I like my view and all but I'm far enough from the portal that I've only been home once, and only after I availed myself of the crafting stations all the more advanced players had.

Also from their Alpha FAQ, sounds like this is all just temporary anyway and minerals will be more distributed across all worlds. And that they're removing the 100m depth limitation in place  shocked Gonna be digging all the way to the Nether* it sounds like.

* Yes, I know you can't dig to the Nether in MC smiley

Oh, and some images (click for larger). All settings max I think, though I keep forgetting to confirm the Adv Video section in settings. Wish I could turn off the translucent diagnostics in the upper left (?):

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:38:32 PM by Darniaq »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: February 09, 2014, 04:11:17 PM

My first claim on a tier 1 island was a ways from the portal and I was almost never there. Since I moved to the tier 3 island I spend a lot more time at the homestead. There's someone with a crafting table 1 tier ahead of me I've been borrowing for jewelry work, everything else I can do at home.

And of course after I get a really decent Viridium pick, my cobalt pick is a green. Blah. Back to the two-pick method for a while.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: February 09, 2014, 04:32:53 PM

Jeeesus christ..

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #94 on: February 09, 2014, 05:39:06 PM

I have horrible fucking luck making picks, so collecting elemental silver was a pain in the ass, and my silversteel pick?  Fucking Inferior.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: February 09, 2014, 06:39:27 PM

Same.  I like the randomness aspect.  However I seem to be at the losing end of that feature.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: February 09, 2014, 08:41:52 PM

The key question is -- what's the NPC scripting and other essential content creation tools like? If this is just a mix of Minecraft and Second Life without the ability to create actual playable content, storylines, etc., once the novelty wears off this will sink like a stone.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: February 09, 2014, 09:28:14 PM

wat
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: February 09, 2014, 11:22:33 PM

I was thinking the same. 
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #99 on: February 10, 2014, 12:19:52 AM

The key question is -- what's the NPC scripting and other essential content creation tools like? If this is just a mix of Minecraft and Second Life without the ability to create actual playable content, storylines, etc., once the novelty wears off this will sink like a stone.

Baby steps, sparky, baby steps.  This is the beginning of alpha, so they're adding things in bit by bit.  How about we try for shit like water before we start doom casting over NPC AI scripting.  By the way, apparently you missed the boat about how popular building shit is.  It's the bees knees. 

For those still confused, however, they have stated that landmark will eventually yield all the tools devs use to create EQN, which includes AI scripting and crap like that. 

WISH:  Personally I would love to see islands in which players cannot leave their domain, but instead build a npc race which is imbued with whatever AI scripts the player can muster and cobble together.  Then they send their creations out to multiply and interact with the island and the other creations of players.  The player can ghost their creations to see how they do but cannot interact with anything outside the domain

But I doubt that will ever happen, its nice to dream though.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: February 10, 2014, 03:23:18 AM

Simply building stuff is keeping me occupied. You look at the time and realise you've been playing for hours but the time's flown by. And I already have ideas for other things I want to build when my current project is done.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: February 10, 2014, 03:48:35 AM

While no one is gonna complain when they'll add more features (and they will) I think it's naive to state that "Minecraft + Second Life will sink like a stone".

This, in many ways, is bound to be better than Minecraft. But even if it were just Minecraft + Second Life, it would not sink like a stone. Quite the opposite. The industry underestimated what houses meant in UO and SWG for too long. That's a feature that can carry any game on its shoulder, let alone one that walks on some of the strongest legs in the market (Minecraft).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:55:24 AM by Falconeer »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: February 10, 2014, 07:50:37 AM

There has been a vacancy for a big dev house to do a building game. Even in alpha, this one is pretty awesome.

The only thing I can see as a negative vs minecraft (assuming intended features like creepers mobs make it in) is the limitation of the claim system. But no idea how you'd work around that. I always liked the grand project like putting in a big rail system to break up small building. No massive dwarven hall in this one.

Some serious unluck on crafting last night, made two assessor's bands and two (forget the name, tier 2 run boosts). All greens. But at least it's an improvement on my blue keen bands and the run accessories almost double my movement speed even as greens, so that's pretty awesome.

Going to make a suggestion to the team to split accessories into two categories: harvest/craft and other. It's clunky to switch stuff around but right now a lightstone is only good for building when you don't need any other accessory equipped. Would be nice to be able to use it without losing the +Discovery or +Speed or whatever when harvesting in a damned dark hole. I know there's an element of trade-off and can see the argument for making a choice between run speed and better harvesting (run allowing you to move between nodes improves harvesting speed somewhat), but the lightstone or jumping ones shouldn't be on the same limiter.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: February 10, 2014, 07:55:37 AM

Don't forget to move to new harvest areas. I was blocked on Topaz...until I went to a tier 2 island and it's on the surface. That's why I moved to a Tier 3 island with a claim bordering both forest and desert. Though I need to head back for more silver and iron in greater density for some accessory crafting.

I finally hit all my tools, though without a tier 4 island, Sapphire is still slow as hell as the rare spawn under cobalt...and it's a garbage texture that looks just like the dirt around it. Protip: just quick dig each cobalt vein and move on if you see red (which you can't mine yet anyway). I've found three Sapphire veins in hundreds of cobalt veins, so 1% maybe? Enough to give me the rest of the building tools, anyway.

I now have a bunch of crafting stuff at my place on Serenity/Highland, three levels of forge, two of the others.

Yes this. If you are having problems finding materials try a zone of the next tier up a lot of the rare previous tier stuff will not have its own spawn locations.

Right now I am pretty well capped out on what I can build on my plot. My pyramid is up and with the obelisks looking pretty darn nice if I do say so myself. Some futzy stuff I can do in the interior but its mostly complete until I can get an adjacent plot to try out my sphinx ideas. For crafting materials I am up about as high as I can get right now the stuff I need to get the next pick or forge simply are unobtainable currently as they are teir 5/6 resources like mithril.

I have to say though this game scratches a lot of itches even in its super basic alphaness. I moved out to an area in the middle of the desert and with my pyramid and my crafting stations in the middle of a god like harvesting area I both created a hub of activity out there I also lured out a lot of neighbors to share in it. It has some good SWG feel of our early days of setting up a shop and eventually a community sprang up around us.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: February 10, 2014, 07:59:55 AM

There has been a vacancy for a big dev house to do a building game. Even in alpha, this one is pretty awesome.

The only thing I can see as a negative vs minecraft (assuming intended features like creepers mobs make it in) is the limitation of the claim system. But no idea how you'd work around that. I always liked the grand project like putting in a big rail system to break up small building. No massive dwarven hall in this one.

Some serious unluck on crafting last night, made two assessor's bands and two (forget the name, tier 2 run boosts). All greens. But at least it's an improvement on my blue keen bands and the run accessories almost double my movement speed even as greens, so that's pretty awesome.

Going to make a suggestion to the team to split accessories into two categories: harvest/craft and other. It's clunky to switch stuff around but right now a lightstone is only good for building when you don't need any other accessory equipped. Would be nice to be able to use it without losing the +Discovery or +Speed or whatever when harvesting in a damned dark hole. I know there's an element of trade-off and can see the argument for making a choice between run speed and better harvesting (run allowing you to move between nodes improves harvesting speed somewhat), but the lightstone or jumping ones shouldn't be on the same limiter.

Well in theory it is designed so you can place claims right next to claims you already own that is what the whole exclusion zone is for. So you can expand upon your initial claim both up down and out to eventually be able to make large fortresses and what not.

There really needs to be utility gem slots and crafting gem slots. I would like the speed/jumping ones but really I am either running plus mining radius to blow up nodes fast or plus discovery for better rare resource acquisition. As much as the speed boosts or jumping may be nice it simply is to annoying switching back and forth so they just don't get used same with the light stone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: