Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:14:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™ 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  (Read 332617 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

on: February 04, 2014, 05:22:01 PM

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/

Technically a different game than EverQuest Next, though it will be based on the same tech. New thread to not shit up the EQN thread!

If you're not up to speed, it's a series of randomly generated terrains that you can plop down housing on. It is currently in alpha and you can buy in with a founder's pack, though it will be free to play at launch.

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/founders-pack

There is a crafting progression, as well as building and saving templates of building and so on.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:01:08 AM

One last voxel wipe is incoming to fix some issues, but it looks like templates are working. So save your stuff! Build that selection tool!

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:35:13 AM

To answer a couple of questions from the other thread:

Is that a fully, relatively functionally dressed female character I see on these screenshots? This is amazing.

Females so far have incredibly fair clothing. Somehow I doubt it'll stay like that, but all the pre-order pieces of clothing are refreshingly not-sexist. This is my outfit from those screens.

Also, Falcon, are your visuals turned down?  I ask because the terrain in the screenshots doesn't look nearly as nice as what they had in the demo videos.

The graphics in my screenshots weren't turned down, but based on what you are looking at (desert) they can look dull nomatter how cool the engine is. One thing I can tell you is that I was definitely unimpressed with all the screenshots and videos I've seen before trying it myself, but it look and feels much better when you are in it. Also, don't confuse the actual character screenshots with the "map" screenshots. In the latter, terrain looks more "voxely" by default, probably to better highlight resources.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:45:55 AM by Falconeer »

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:46:11 AM

Patch notes for today, and a completely new server (Serenity) to be freshly claimed.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 05:07:44 AM

Woke up to the new server and managed to snag a nice hillside/top claim on Brook not too far from the teleporter. Most of the map was claimed by the time I got there, but people seem to be bad at figuring out where the gaps are. I could see two people in front of me obviously running towards the edges where there was still some green land to be claimed. They walked right past what's really a great spot.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 05:43:50 AM

I went for an edge spot just because I wanted to be away from the crowds. I couldn't explain why. There's so many minerals around that you're not really competing for resources or anything. I just like the idea of having a little remote spot, for some reason.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:03:41 AM

Build two of those speed accessories and it doesn't really matter how far out you are, either.  You are a leaf in the wind.  (Add the grapple for great pleasure)

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 09:10:10 AM

A collection of impressive buildings.

Even though they are decently cool, I feel like stating that the buildings and voxels have been reset about three times since launch (five days ago), so this stuff is actually still really basic. Not to mention that no one seems to have the "smooth" tool yet, which is supposed to de-square all the edges and make them look realistic, nor the vast amount of props we have been promised. And still, the view from the top of that tower makes me weak in the knees.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:11:50 AM by Falconeer »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 09:23:34 AM

Patch notes for today, and a completely new server (Serenity) to be freshly claimed.

Thanks for the heads up, finally got a patch of land to call my own. 

I am the .00000001428%
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 09:26:14 AM

I've had a lot of problems with the Alpha.  I got placed outside the map and had to dig my way back to the map and up to the surface, which took hours on Monday morning.  I tried last night to find a claim and couldn't because there's too many people (some with multiple claims) and not enough landmass.  

That said, I can tell my $60 is going to be well spent.  I really like how honest and vocal they're being with the fans.  Once I get established I like what I'm seeing.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:35:11 AM

A collection of impressive buildings.

Even though they are decently cool, I feel like stating that the buildings and voxels have been reset about three times since launch (five days ago), so this stuff is actually still really basic. Not to mention that no one seems to have the "smooth" tool yet, which is supposed to de-square all the edges and make them look realistic, nor the vast amount of props we have been promised. And still, the view from the top of that tower makes me weak in the knees.

Those are all very cool, specially since they probably only took a few hours work with an alpha client.

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 10:17:00 AM

I just went back to my plot only to find that everything has been reset... again. No biggy, at least I got the crafting stations I lost a few days ago back. While I was fiddling with it, I met Wasted that was randomly roaming around and I helped him find a plot very close to where I am. I think this is telling: my island is the very first one that was opened five days ago, and it's a tier 1 area, they got filled in a matter of hours and STILL there are empty spots. Not only I found him a claim, but I can safely say there are a few more just by where I am. People are just bad at understanding how it works and finding the suitable spots.

Another thing: I created a Custom Chat Channel named f13. To join it all you have to do is type "/join f13" and then "/5 <message>" to write in it. Not sure if it is persistent and if you autojoin it when you log back in, but it's worth a shot. Not even sure if you get a notification when someone writes in it or if you can see who is on. Again, just try it.

That said, I took a few ugly screenshots to give everyone an idea of scale, since many seem interested in finding out how deep you can dig on your plot and things like that. The following screenshots try to show the actual size of the "box" you can build in, the 3D box that represent the size of your claim. As you can see, I put mine pretty much 60% underground and 40% overground. So I dug a straight square hole from the surface to the lowest part of my plot and as you can see it's not a short jump all the way down. Add to that the 40% that is overground that I could have actually put inside the mountain and you have an idea of how big your dwarven tunnels or dungeons could be. I also took a couple of screens from one of the corners of my underground dungeon trying to show how long is the longest hallway you can build (using a torchway and Wasted himself as a reference) and as you can see it's not really small. Sure, not enough to build an actual dungeon, to that end we have to hope that they will allow people to join their claims at some point. What we know is that while it is not allowed in the alpha, players will be able to own multiple claims although there will be an upkeep cost that will grow exponentially.

This is the hole from the top of my claim:

This is from the edge of the hole, looking down:

This is from the bottom of it, looking up:

This is the longest hallway I can build on my plot, to give an idea of how large/long the horizontal space actually is:

This is an aerial shot of my plot, as you can see about 40% is overground and 60% is underground (but you decide that when you place it):

Same thing, from another angle:

A shot to further demonstrate the size of the box, particularly the overground part in this case:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:40:51 AM by Falconeer »

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:40 AM

How do you zoom out the camera?

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 10:26:09 AM

Shift + Mouse Wheel, from your character view. But to get better, far away shots do the opposite: use the Map and then zoom in and rotate.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 10:32:20 AM

Hey Falc, can you please use the image resize tags?  Cool shots.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 11:44:32 AM

Last batch of useless screenshots I promise. But this is literally blowing my mind. I decided to decorate the edge of my hole and I think it came out pretty cute considering it took me 3 minutes and it's all you can see of my HUGE underground dungeon. That is, of course, if you don't count the little backdoor I built on the side of my mountain. My god, the possibilities are literally making my head explode...

P.S: Update on the f13 custom chat channel, I saw Numtini enter and leave. I guess it works.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 12:42:55 PM

I really shouldn't be reading this thread. It makes me want to buy it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 12:48:19 PM

Yeah, I'm a ho for minecraft and liked EQ2....

I wish there were a way to stake an area for f13 so we could build a little town or something. I'm hoping that's an 'alpha' omission, though I've seen enough of those that become game features to be cynical.

Then I think about the TUG alpha and laugh.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 12:52:46 PM

Might want to bear in mind that beta begins March 31 at the latest, and you can buy entry to that for a much cheaper price than Alpha access, or simply apply and hope to get in for free.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 12:56:19 PM

With all the comments on claims, one of the $99 perks becomes suddenly a bit more serious: 2 days head start to place claims when it goes to open beta, which I presume is release.

TIp. Keep crafting axes until you get a legendary. It makes a huge difference in gathering the much hated burlwood.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 01:00:37 PM

Could that Vault actually be a be deal since storage chests are local?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:06:10 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 01:03:47 PM

Fuck it. I blame you all. Again.

Actually, I was reflecting on the money I threw down the toilet with TUG. This seems far less toilety.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 01:16:30 PM

I should have spent money on this instead of Hex. I might actually play this.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 05:10:01 PM

Servers just came up with 16 new zones per. I got a decent spot in a little valley a hop and a skip from the Nexus on Courage - Bight (Tier 3).

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 06:23:36 PM

Is tier 3 the place to claim? I have a little mountaintop on a tier 1 something on somewhere.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 06:47:27 PM

Is there going to be any mechanism for getting plots near friends?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 06:56:20 PM

It would certainly make a lot of sense, given they want it to be a community. Bat Country!
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 07:39:05 PM

The claim system is pretty unsophisticated so far, you can only have one claim at a time currently though that is not how it will be later on.  There are currently no tools to help you locate friends (or even a friends list) or special permissions to put your claim closer to a friend than the normal exclusion zone around their claim.  You can add permissions to your claim to allow others to do stuff.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 06:54:24 AM

My plot is on Serenity/Dome. The guy who got the next mountain over has the message 'Cannot take the sky from me'  why so serious? My toon is named Carsh, because both Sky and Cash were taken. Got in pretty early on the Dome land rush, my third choice for a site was completely unsettled, though it is halfway to the edge (up a nice little valley, though).

First impressions. I love it. Even in this rough state you can see what a massive improvement this is to the minecraft paradigm (finally!). And the running/diving stuff feels good for EQ:N.

I enjoy mining in minecraft a bit more, as the voxel carving is a bit more chaotic and messes with my OCD that I don't have, totally (and the camera is a bit wonky). I kind of got carried away on the fringe desert area when harvesting iron, though...it's so much easier to mine over there where you can see the veins at a distance. My plot is in the forest, which is also nice for quick night-time lumbering. I did get an iron pick crafted by the end of the evening. The iron pick was only a green, my bronze pick was blue and had a wider area and was faster...very nice indeed.

The building tools are so damned nice, and I didn't really even dig into them (har). A little wonky yet, trying to slip a block under another block was a bit hit or miss. But I built a nice little observation platform with a chair and table. I hope sitting makes it into the game! Anyway, I was mostly focused on tooling up rather than building, learning in minecraft that tooling up nets you a ton of stone to build with later. Being able to scale the blocks, put in angles, smooth, curves...ye gods this is going to be a thing.

One thing I learned - those big trees people think you can't harvest? You can, but they're a bit slow and wonky, might be a bug...if you walk into one of the crevices (as in hold w down) you can find a sweet spot that lets you chop. I was getting 9 Burled Wood at a time rather than the 2 or 3 normal trees net. But it's slow and wonky, so not sure it's worth it unless you can perfect the technique.

I was hesitant about the pay2alpha, but I've already played this many times over more than the video games I've kickstarted. Though I do think there is room for what TUG is doing, as a different riff on the theme...but they just had their lunch stolen and I with them luck. I used wonky too many times in this post.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:56:55 AM by Sky »
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 06:59:35 AM

I'm still tooling up.  I placed a claim, never been back.  I had excess dirt in my inventory (apparently 100k is max on the other tab, then it starts making 10k piles in your regular inventory)  So I built some random ass wall in the middle of the forest, then I built staircases on either side.  It disappeared in 20 minutes but still felt cool to experiment with the add tool.   I'm  hoping there's going to be public works eventually, cause I like building roads.  There are no roads.  There needs to be roads.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 07:10:34 AM

I still don't completely understand how this fits in with the EQ Next game.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 07:19:51 AM

Well it's pretty easy: EQ Next will be built on this same engine, which means it will be the first DIKU with a FULLY destructible environment. For example (as demonstrated at the reveal event) your attacks could destroy part of the dungeon you are in, or a boss aoe could destroy a bridge you are standing on having everyone falling down. This things not being scripted because the world is 100% destructible. Then again, it makes the whole world more dynamic since it will be very easy for the Devs to modify and edit the environment based on what players do (they stated the game will be based more on world common quests than small, individual ones), and it makes the world interactable in a way that hasn't been possible since... ever (closest -but not really- would be SWG).

EDIT: It is only a ploy for them to get a virtually endless flow of amazing buildings and elements to use in EQ Next without having to pay more artists.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:23:25 AM by Falconeer »

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 07:26:56 AM

So if I pony up $60, do any of the things I get actually benefit me once EQ:N comes along?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 07:27:49 AM

EDIT: It is only a ploy for them to get a virtually endless flow of amazing buildings and elements to use in EQ Next without having to pay more artists.

Ding ding ding.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 07:28:11 AM

Should also jumpstart their tool innovation as well. Look at what people have bent the simple minecraft tools to do. Having thousands of people pushing your toolset can only be a good thing. And if you make it fun and allow people to make a few bucks on the side...win/win.

Mithas, no. It's just a few things (and alpha access) for Landmark.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ Next Landmark - It's Like Minecraft But Not™  
Jump to: