Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:33:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Kingdom Come: Deliverance (M&B meets Skyrim and OMG steriods) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kingdom Come: Deliverance (M&B meets Skyrim and OMG steriods)  (Read 21286 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: January 23, 2014, 03:00:01 PM

This project has just been funded on Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance
http://kingdomcomerpg.com/

It looks and sounds incredibly ambitious, but yes, still so so far away... Heartbreak

EDIT: interesting "Why Kickstarter?" section (bold is not mine):

After seeing our trailer, you might ask: “why are we here? This is a big, expensive game that’s sure to cost a lot of money, right? Does no major publisher want it? This sounds suspicious.” The answer to those questions might surprise you.

Warhorse is a comparatively small studio. We now have about thirty people, and it took us more than eighteen months to develop what you've just seen. All this time, we’ve been funded by a private investor, to the tune of almost 1.5 million dollars in total. We hope the product you’ve seen reflects that.

Our plan was to develop a prototype, pitch it to publishers, and finish development with the subsequent money. We tried to do it that way (and you can read about our experiences on our blog), but in essence, even though everybody we met commended our work, praised our game’s visuals, and believed in our ability to deliver, negotiations would inevitably hit a dead end at the point where the publishers' marketing departments got involved. Why?

"Your game is too niche. There’s no magic. People want wizards and dragons."

We beg to differ. The response from players has always been great. We think gamers like history – look at the success of Total War, Assassin's Creed, Mount and Blade, and Red Dead Redemption. There is no medieval first-person RPG out there, but it does not necessarily follow that nobody wants one - only that there is no easy box for marketing to pigeonhole it in.

Our investor is strong and capable of funding the complete development of our project. But he does not follow the game industry very closely, and needs proof that publishers and marketers are wrong about our game - that you are indeed interested in a mature, medieval RPG that emphasizes freedom and authenticity. And so we stand, as a studio, at a crossroads. Either those naysayers are right, and there truly is no desire for the game we are making, or we are right. Either way, we think Kickstarter is a great way to find out.

The sum we are asking for is about ten percent of our total budget; for our investor, however, it is proof that there is real demand for the game, and that there is a point to keeping it funded. Every extra dollar will allow us to make the final product that much better because it means more money for development and more support from our investor.

Should our Kickstarter campaign fail, it will mean that we were wrong, that there is no interest to play a game with the atmosphere of Braveheart, and that we will have to start considering working on some mobile MMO, because that's where the money is these days (or so everybody tells us). We are, however, positive that our instincts are right.

So help us to make our vision a reality. Help us to make not the 176th free-to-play mobile RPG MMO Elven village-builder with DIAMONDS™, but to make the kind of unique, engaging experience we think you’d like to play
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:27:52 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:06:48 PM

This is the closest I've come to backing a kickstarter.  The team really comes off as sounding like they are for real and have somewhat realistic (although quite ambitious) expectations.

Of course, I have no intention of paying $45 for a game I might be able to play in 2 years but I do hope it gets made.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 03:15:16 PM

This will not remotely be what they're selling. Sorry. Good pitch though.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 03:16:30 PM

A shinier Mount* and Blade awaits thee.

Horse combat is a stretch goal.

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 05:03:31 PM

Why even have stretch goals if you outright admit the investor just wanted proof of interest.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:28:24 PM

A mysterious investor appears!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:06 PM

no multiplayer?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:51 PM

This project has just been funded on Kickstarter:

STERIODS

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:19:31 PM

While the game in general seems interesting I have developed a more than a slight aversion to "mini-games" and this promises to have many of those (especially in crafting). I'll stick to hoping that M&B II will come out (some day) and that it will be an improvement on warbands.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 11:49:24 PM

I hope I can be a vassal!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 01:05:42 AM

Why even have stretch goals if you outright admit the investor just wanted proof of interest.

I guess that, given the success of the campaign, now it's just a case of "the more money, the better" for paying salaries and new equipment. So everything counts to achieve that.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 07:20:58 AM

BECAUSE MAGIC
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 07:32:12 AM

I guess that, given the success of the campaign, now it's just a case of "the more money, the better" for paying salaries and new equipment. So everything counts to achieve that.

Everything that I have been reading seems to suggest that the $500k for the KS was going back to the investor to help recoup some of his money before he puts more in, but the agreement the devs have is that everything over the KS goal goes straight to the developer in addition to what the investor has already agreed to put in once the KS passes.  Assuming there are decent contracts around this (which I assume is the case before the investor would have put in the initial 1.5 million) everything the KS raises would be extra money rather than offsetting what the investor puts in.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 08:11:22 AM

What a shit Kickstarter with a bizarre investor. This almost certainly should be against KS ToS.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 08:18:55 AM

Next on KS: I owe Vinny da Gooch fitty g's.
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 08:43:12 AM

Precisely that. I was thinking of kickstarting "clear my credit debt and pay off my car."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 09:10:22 AM

Hey, if that's what it takes to get a game like this made, I'm ok with it. It's not like I'm going to kickstarter anything.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 11:34:10 AM

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 11:53:19 AM

As much as lolKS this is, the video was well put together and I'm in the minority of folks who was a huge fan of both Mafia titles. Not sure I want to KS it, but I definitely have this high on my radar.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 01:28:26 PM

while waiting for stretch goals and whatnot...Edited the title for more randomness  why so serious?

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 02:07:51 PM

while waiting for stretch goals and whatnot...

Stretch goals? Stretch goals!

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 02:35:14 PM

Just for the sake of the KS campaign (which is already successful beyond the funding matter), the two music stretch goals in a row are a bit dull, but who cares, at 600k we get playable female, and that means sex.

Err...Not sure it's that straightforward, but yeah.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 04:07:28 PM

A profile of the mysterious investor appears! (more or less confirmed via the KS comments section)

http://www.forbes.com/profile/zdenek-bakala/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:12:24 PM by Lucas »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 07:55:31 PM

All I gotta say is good on that guy for putting money into the kind of games a lot of people want to see but major publishers won't take a risk on.

Maybe they can make an actual no-kill stealth stealing sim game next :)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 04:27:10 PM

Two updates today (Monday):

- #6 is an expanded FAQ based on the massive amount of questions they got during the last few days. Excerpt:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance/posts/730980

Sandbox

Many people wonder how much of a sandbox our sandbox is going to be. You will be able to solve quests in multiple ways, kill most of NPCs or influence their day/night cycles. We have a complex system of reputation, relationships and law. You can influence local economy to an extent (price of goods).

The player’s character is going to have a place to stay and live, but you will not be able to buy and sell real estate. Nor you can control other characters. Companions/henchmen have their own AI and they are quest-specific. Your character will develop relationships with NPCs.

Map size

Some people are concerned about our maps size and seem to think that 9 sq. km. is not enough. Please trust us that it is. Our map is bigger than the one in Read Dead Redemption. The population/point-of-interest density is going to be on par with RDR. We want the world to look natural.

Multiplayer

There seems to be demand for multiplayer experience. Unfortunately, Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a singleplayer game only. We are thinking about cooperative multiplayer in some further future, but definitely not for Act I.

The real treat comes with the entertaining update #7, their first video one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAbHmE73p7o

- Bull Terrier!
- in-game locations based on an antique, real world map!
- a former castle and its replacement, both "devastated by 40 years of communist rule"  why so serious?
- Exploring the castle dungeon!
- Here and there, comparisons between the RL location and the game one!

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:35 AM

Last 58 hours of the campaign: the £900,000 stretch goal is in sight (Tournament mode, which sounds pretty cool).

Character customization (wow, as in...wow!!) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWQn10s_QJM

Combat video (which may rival the "Chivalry: Medieval Warfare" one):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnKbKkhHXrQ

NPC AI and schedules (everything sounds great, but we'll see how effective, extensive and believable they'll be):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA8rTyIO0xE
-------

EDIT: Cross-promotion and collaboration betweeen Star Citizen and KC:D:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance/posts/751649

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13577-Kickstarter-Kingdom-Come-Deliverance
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:37:32 AM by Lucas »

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 11:24:27 AM

Livestream of the playable build going on right now on Youtube (I guess we'll also get the recorded version once it's over):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84AiE46erkk

EDIT 1: livestream is over.

EDIT 2: above youtube link works if you want to see it recorded (57:24)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:07:33 PM by Lucas »

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 12:41:08 PM

Combat at 37 minutes looks pretty good even though it's very early. 
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 02:46:43 PM

This looks pretty good, going to keep an eye on it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 03:52:04 PM

Going to do some more investigation, but this looks promising and might be worthy of a couple of bucks.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 06:32:38 AM

Five hours or so 'til the end of the campaign; the last couple days have really been on "steriods" when it comes to funding, which surpassed £ 1,000,000. The developers confirmed that pledging should continue on their own website (dunno when) after the KS is over:

http://kingdomcomerpg.com/

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 06:57:13 AM

I'll buy it if it ever comes to light.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 07:05:36 AM

I'll buy it if it ever comes to light.

Bingo.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 07:07:42 AM

I'll buy it when it comes to light for sure.  I doubt it's questionable, hell they have more than Star Citizen does.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 12:10:58 PM

I threw 50 bucks at it. This literally is the game I've always wanted to play, so I'm looking forward to white-knighting (heh) the shit out of this until my dreams are broken on the rocks of pie-in-the-sky naivete, project management incompetence and lack of funding. I'm guessing we end up with a subpar Mount & Blade with bad voice-acting and game-crippling bugs.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Kingdom Come: Deliverance (M&B meets Skyrim and OMG steriods)  
Jump to: