Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:54:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: The 'Is this game worth buying' thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Is this game worth buying' thread  (Read 110320 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #70 on: June 22, 2014, 05:18:36 PM

Ditto, going for KoA.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: June 24, 2014, 06:35:13 AM

I think someone mentioned somewhere here but One Way Heroics is a fun little time waster for less than $1. 

I liked both UnEpic and Tomb Raider, I think both are worth <$5 if they interest you at all.  UnEpic has some bullshit mechanics that come in to play later in the game, one boss specifically will make you rage quit if you don't know the mechanics beforehand.  Also the story is pretty bad.  So yeah it's basically terrible and I liked it.

So as long as I'm recommending bad games, I found this one the other day from the makers of VVVVVV (is that enough V's?).  It's basically Equinox meets flash game.

http://terrycavanaghgames.com/nayasquest/
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 24, 2014, 07:20:22 AM

I was going to do Guacamelee until I saw that the last part of the game is a bunch of jumping puzzles. Which I suppose one should expect in a platformer, but there is no mechanic that makes me hate a game more.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #73 on: June 24, 2014, 07:24:02 AM

If Steam never released another 2D platformer, I would be a happier gamer.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 24, 2014, 08:36:43 AM

I'm way more tired of seeing bullshit phone game ports clogging up the new releases.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: June 24, 2014, 09:25:11 AM

One thing the sale always does is make me scrutinize a wider range of Steam-available games than I do in the non-sale period. And man, the evidence that early-access/Kickstarter has become a grifter's paradise really seems to have piled up in the last year. On one side of the scale, you maybe have 5-8 truly wonderful projects that are going to come to fruition that might not have made it otherwise and are going to have more creative integrity than if they had had to go the standard AAA route. On the other side, a bunch of stuff that is either utterly cynical or that is the equivalent of Glitchless or He Who Shall Not Be Named saying "I want to make a game that has everything and more, please give me money" except that they actually get money rather than just a bunch of suckers who want to play the game with everything hanging on their every word in a forum somewhere.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #76 on: June 24, 2014, 10:43:08 AM

The thing about early access is there's a product in some sort of shape. That's the difference.

Beyond that, buyer beware, and I don't buy.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #77 on: June 24, 2014, 07:29:42 PM

I picked up State of Decay on Paelos's recommendation in the other thread and am starting to regret my decision.   awesome, for real

Guess I'm going to be wrong on this one. I thought it was worth the $5!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

It's a funner-than-average zombie apocalypse game.  Was worth the 20 I originally gave for it.

I am now playing the Lifeline expansion, which I picked up during the summer sale.  Also worth it. 

Unless you can't tolerate bugs I'm not sure what's not to like about State of Decay. Its really good. The bugs do suck but as a zombie game and a survival game its solid. I wish most titles had this much going on and felt this new. Even though zombies have been done to fucking death I'm so glad I decided to buy this.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #78 on: June 25, 2014, 09:34:09 AM

I have put very little time into State of Decay, but:
I was visiting another safehouse when a zombie horde wandered by and stared attacking the house.  I looked around at all of the unboarded windows and the unalarmed NPCs and became worried.  I noticed the zombies were all attacking the front of the house so I yelled "ZOMBIE APOC MOTHERFUCKERS" and leapt out a rear window, dashing to a nearby ditch.  There were some sounds of conflict and death as I crept through the ditch to a nearby field, stole a truck, and got my unbitten ass back home.

That was pretty fun.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43:44 AM

I'm way more tired of seeing bullshit phone game ports clogging up the new releases.

Ditto.

Warning on Abalone:  It'll run with your monitor resolution set to 1024x768, and give you a black screen at higher resolutions.  Granted, I only got it for the 'free' cards because the craftables are selling for $20...  but still.  I can now either sell my 3 cards for $4 (got the game for $2.50) or double down and pay $5 more and see what comes up from crafting.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #80 on: June 28, 2014, 10:49:42 AM

What's the status of Grim Dawn? 
schild
Administrator

Reply #81 on: June 28, 2014, 11:07:18 AM

It's Titan Quest 2 with steampunk goggles.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #82 on: June 29, 2014, 05:52:28 AM

I forget why I decided not to buy Shadowrun Returns back when it came out (maybe there was only one save spot or something?) but has the new content pack made it better?
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 29, 2014, 09:29:32 AM

Mechanics and UI, no.  But the second campaign is considerably better than the first.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #84 on: June 29, 2014, 10:10:39 AM

Actually, the expansion made them patch the original game such that you could save anywhere instead of just at checkpoints. So even if you don't buy Dragonfall, you get the option to have more than 1 save.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #85 on: June 29, 2014, 11:04:26 AM

Yea, that would have sucked on a single save, no save anywhere system. I'm three hours in to the game for the first time and am quite enjoying it. It could do with a few improvements in tool tips and the like, but overall it's quite good. (If you like the Fallout2 / XCom type of tactical combat)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 29, 2014, 10:05:41 PM

Dishonored worth it?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #87 on: June 29, 2014, 10:47:59 PM

I liked it.  It's action/stealth/assassin bullshit.  Kind of like Deus Ex: HR.   The major issue I had is that they give you a bunch of fancy tools for killing, but the best ending is achieved through killing minimally (you can still get away with a few per mission.  

Other than that: I loved the mechanics, atmosphere, and it was just fun to play.  

Not sure about the DLC.  They follow a character you encounter late in the game.   I've heard they're OK, but I'm good with what I played. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:49:39 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: June 29, 2014, 11:01:19 PM

Hmm, I couldn't get into Deus Ex: HR. But I'll give it a go anyhow.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #89 on: June 30, 2014, 10:43:11 AM

It's Titan Quest 2 with steampunk goggles.

I snagged Grim Dawn at $12.50.  It's pretty decent; a little rough around the edges and I can tell those edges won't be polished.  There's a good, core game there though.  I like it better than Van Helsing so far.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #90 on: June 30, 2014, 10:47:25 AM

I bought Payday 2. It's fun with friends, shitty alone. Also, nothing goes right. There are probably ways to do this correctly, but I just end up in massive shootouts. Worst criminal ever.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: June 30, 2014, 03:03:44 PM

I bought Europa Universalis IV for $15.  Have played three times as Seville (Spain) and lost to Aragon every single time.  The game is quite hard for me right now and I'm anxious to exploit explore the New World.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: July 01, 2014, 03:48:53 PM

Hmm, I couldn't get into Deus Ex: HR. But I'll give it a go anyhow.
I'm late but Dishonored is one of the best games I've played in terms of atmosphere. I ended up really caring about the characters and their plight. When I learned there were "better" (more optimistic) endings than the one I had got, I felt had I had to replay it to "set things right", so to speak. Possibly the only game ever that has given me a strong sense of in-character achievement.

The major issue I had is that they give you a bunch of fancy tools for killing, but the best ending is achieved through killing minimally (you can still get away with a few per mission.
One of the reasons why I personally find it such a powerfully told story. I know it comes off as lame justification but to get the best ending, you had to resist the temptation of gratuitous violence just like Corvo had to resist the urge for indiscriminate vengeance.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: July 07, 2014, 05:55:01 PM

Has anyone played Killing Floor?

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1250/

75% off right now. Looks like it might be pretty good for some coop play.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #94 on: July 07, 2014, 06:23:40 PM

I've played it, tbh I'm not sure why you'd play that instead of L4D which is the same thing but much more polished.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 07, 2014, 06:46:07 PM

Haven't ever played L4D. Both L4D 1 and 2 are 4.99 right now also, assuming just get 2? And actually looks like the 4 pack is 14.99 which would be perfect.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #96 on: July 08, 2014, 08:58:58 AM

Haven't ever played L4D. Both L4D 1 and 2 are 4.99 right now also, assuming just get 2? And actually looks like the 4 pack is 14.99 which would be perfect.

Getting both is redundant as they're basically the same exact game.  I wouldn't say L4D2 is necessarily the better version, but since it's the more recent hotness you'll probably find more people playing that one.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: July 08, 2014, 02:49:12 PM

Killing floor is excellent as a LAN game and supports more than 4 players. It's less story driven but has classes and a large varieties of enemies and maps. And since the enemies are quite challenging there's a strong reason to try and work as a group many shooters don't have. It does show it's mod nature at times though, and I think I'd get very bored playing single-player or online.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #98 on: July 08, 2014, 02:51:49 PM

Killing floor is excellent as a LAN game and supports more than 4 players. It's less story driven but has classes and a large varieties of enemies and maps. And since the enemies are quite challenging there's a strong reason to try and work as a group many shooters don't have. It does show it's mod nature at times though, and I think I'd get very bored playing single-player or online.

I only played it single-player, so there you are.   awesome, for real  I can imagine it being more fun in a LAN party environment, but that's true of most games.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 09, 2014, 01:42:46 PM

Actually ended up getting Killing Floor since the couple guys I was going to play with had already bought it. It's very meh single player but it is a ton of fun playing together.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: July 09, 2014, 05:47:22 PM

I'm tempted to buy this for rk47. Dear god, the radicalthon... swamp poop

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313740/

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
schild
Administrator

Reply #101 on: July 09, 2014, 06:01:31 PM

It's $7, just do it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #102 on: July 10, 2014, 04:57:06 AM

Sunrider: First Arrival just landed on Steam and it is FREE. Just sayin', rk47... visual novel + tactical combat  awesome, for real

Fake Edit: There's also a Bonus Beach Dating Sim bundled together, you access it from the main menu.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #103 on: July 10, 2014, 07:38:48 AM

I'm tempted to buy this for rk47. Dear god, the radicalthon... swamp poop

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313740/

Why? There's no sex and 1 choice. Its all the way on the book side of the book<->game spectrum of VN's, there is no game there just reading. We shouldn't waste a precious resource (rk47) on something so mundane.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:43:48 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 10, 2014, 10:42:08 PM

ONE choice? Pfft, screw that. Most VNs are not quite so literal.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: The 'Is this game worth buying' thread  
Jump to: