Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:25:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: The 'Is this game worth buying' thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Is this game worth buying' thread  (Read 110325 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #175 on: March 17, 2015, 05:27:53 AM

If tenous hints of nostalgic tears suddenly approach your lacrimal lake when thinking about tennis games now long gone, well, fear no more, because "Tennis Elbow 2013" (best title evah!!) is now available on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346470/

Now, when it comes to animations and graphics, game is dated, but it's also the one that resemble tennis the most, nowadays, unlike Virtua Tennis and with the "Top Spin" series for the PC stuck at the second title.
-----------

Actually, there is a free shareware (welcome to 1993!) version available here:

http://www.managames.com/tennis/game_en.html

For 14 days, you'll have your work cut, because this game is not easy to master. I still think that the hoary "Advantage Tennis" (1991) is slightly better, but it's a close call (Pro Tennis Tour for the Atari ST and Tennis Cup for the Amiga weren't bad either).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #176 on: March 17, 2015, 10:33:38 AM

Wow, the animations on the backhands are terrible.  Still, looks like they've got the pace and speed of the game down better than most.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:41:36 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #177 on: March 17, 2015, 10:40:58 AM

Backhands look terrible in real life too.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #178 on: March 17, 2015, 12:04:09 PM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #179 on: April 28, 2015, 02:10:07 PM

I'm shocked and appalled at the poor guitar playing in this title: http://store.steampowered.com/app/363620/
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #180 on: May 04, 2015, 12:26:18 PM

Sword of the Stars 2 with all the DLC is on sale for $4 on Steam this week. Worth it?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #181 on: May 10, 2015, 01:02:43 PM

Hmm, I originally created this in the steam forum, but it might be more helpful in the general gaming forum, where more people will see it.  It's not really specific to steam, just to ask about games that don't have or don't warrent their own thread.  Granted, 90% of those are on steam.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: May 11, 2015, 10:22:53 AM

Speaking of, Gog just got a handful of the old Star Trek games (Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, ST: Judgement Rites, and ST: Academy) which I know nothing about.  Are any of them worth looking at?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #183 on: May 11, 2015, 10:54:39 AM

I played the original Interplay game way back when it was released (I think it's the one labeled 25th Anniversary). It's a fun point and click adventure game.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: May 14, 2015, 06:15:44 PM

Noticed that Starpoint Gemini 2 is on sale this weekend.  Is it worth taking a look at for $14?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: May 15, 2015, 07:46:08 AM

Noticed that Starpoint Gemini 2 is on sale this weekend.  Is it worth taking a look at for $14?

Unless you are totally bored of X3:TC/X3:AP, probably not, from what's said on the reviews it would appear those two are more fleshed out and have more features. X3:TC is less expensive at 9.99$ and the combo pack is 19.99$ for essentially an upgraded X3.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: May 30, 2015, 08:34:31 PM

Ok... how about the Escapists.  Looks like a fun little scroller.  Anyone play this yet? Seems to be on sale this weekend.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: July 18, 2015, 04:50:10 PM

Looks like Deadpool is being sold again.  It was taken down because of licensing issue between Marvel and Activision.  Looks like it could be fun but no way I'm paying $40 for it. 
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: July 29, 2015, 02:14:48 PM

$20-25 is a pretty acceptable price for it (there's little replayability), but $40 may be a bit much.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: October 21, 2015, 03:59:24 PM

Rebel Galaxy is pretty damned awesome, and lightly discounted currently.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #190 on: October 22, 2015, 02:37:10 AM

Hmm, thanks for the heads up on that, looks tempting.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: October 22, 2015, 09:54:44 AM

I may look at this as well.  Thanks!

-  Mark Twain
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: October 22, 2015, 10:48:24 AM

I may look at this as well.  Thanks!

It's ok but doesn't seem too deep (and mining seems to be really bad from what little I tried before giving up on it). I wouldn't pay the price of a full AAA game but for less than 20 euros it isn't bad.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: October 22, 2015, 07:41:50 PM

Has anyone played Kingdom?  Looks like a fun little 2D side-scroller.

-  Mark Twain
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: October 28, 2015, 09:22:30 AM

Has anyone played Kingdom?  Looks like a fun little 2D side-scroller.

Kingdom is fun.  The pixel art is amazing.  The characters aren't super detailed but the backgrounds and the reflections in the water are just great.

Game play wise it's very simple, they give you very little instructions on the controls or the game mechanics and they just leave you to figure things out.  That aspect is really cool because you kind of get a feel for what certain things do so then you go into your next run with more info and hopefully make it a bit further.

It's a little frustrating in that if you start to lose or have one bad night you're pretty much dead and at that point you can hold out for quite a bit longer but really you're better off just starting over.  There's not many come back mechanics (that I've found) so you can end of wasting a bunch of time.

Depth wise it's a little thin.  I think if you go into the game knowing everything about it it's probably not going to entertain you very long, but if you just go in blind it's worth the $10.  I'll probably get 8-10 hours out of it.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: October 29, 2015, 11:25:15 PM

BroForce is good stupid fun and came out of early access recently.  Get four people playing on the sofa and it's a riot.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: December 05, 2015, 05:09:38 PM

How's Sunless Sea? I was taking a gander at it and wondering if it was worth the money.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: December 05, 2015, 05:21:49 PM

How's Sunless Sea? I was taking a gander at it and wondering if it was worth the money.

I dunno, I only played a little bit of it but it didn't click with me.  I couldn't figure out how to do anything other than sail around randomly and eventually run out of money and die.  I heard that the writing is pretty good (what little I saw was pretty interesting), but that the gameplay never gets particularly deep.

Other people's experiences could easily differ from mine, though, if they've got the patience to play until they get the hang of it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #198 on: December 05, 2015, 06:34:44 PM

I find it fantastic. But it's all about reading and enjoying the atmosphere more than anything else. Gameplay is not the main reason to get it.

brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: December 06, 2015, 07:55:19 PM

The writing is awesome and worth it.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: December 11, 2015, 09:14:51 PM

I've got some Steam cash sitting around, waiting on the Winter Sale. I'll bump it up the queue then.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 12, 2015, 07:20:13 AM

I've got some Steam cash sitting around, waiting on the Winter Sale. I'll bump it up the queue then.
It's an interactive graphical novel, it's probably worth it at 19$

—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #202 on: January 25, 2016, 03:33:30 PM

Has anyone played "Craft the World!"?  It looks good although a bit pricey. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: January 26, 2016, 06:56:30 PM

I have 20 or so hours into it. I think I paid $10 during a sale.

Cons:
AI isn't great
Needs a tutorial. Some things like farming are confusing
A few bugs here and there. One in particular makes it so the dwarves never go to sleep (which they need to do to heal)
Feels a little repetitive and some of the crafting seems pointless

Pros:
It looks good
Lots of different things to craft
Pretty easy to get into

Overall I found it enjoyable. It is a fun time waster. It was definitely worth it at a discount. I'm not sure I'd pay full price.
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: January 27, 2016, 06:15:49 AM

20 isn't a bad price for it if you enjoy that style of build/explore game play, they do it fairly well.I have about 100 hours into it but haven't played  since the multiplayer update,prior to that everything was working good for me.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #205 on: July 09, 2016, 08:42:29 AM

I'm thinking of getting Bloodgate.  Is anyone playing it and is it worth $9 for early release?  I think it's going up to $15 next month when it's released.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: October 15, 2016, 08:39:13 AM

Anybody playing Project Genom?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/389040/

"Open world, non-target, Sci-fi MMO"  I loves me some sci-fi MMO, and I think 'non-target' means free-aim (like planetside), but I'm not sure.  Early Access, and makes no bones about being mid-Alpha.  Russian Developer.  It looks like it might have promise ... someday. (No, I can not make that more conditional)

The Steam forums are - predictably - a mess.  The Early access reviews are positive enough that I don't want to dismiss it out of hand, but reviews are gamed all the time.

Anyone have any good info on this one?

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: October 16, 2016, 03:10:20 AM

Anybody playing Project Genom?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/389040/

"Open world, non-target, Sci-fi MMO"  I loves me some sci-fi MMO, and I think 'non-target' means free-aim (like planetside), but I'm not sure.  Early Access, and makes no bones about being mid-Alpha.  Russian Developer.  It looks like it might have promise ... someday. (No, I can not make that more conditional)

The Steam forums are - predictably - a mess.  The Early access reviews are positive enough that I don't want to dismiss it out of hand, but reviews are gamed all the time.

Anyone have any good info on this one?

It's Russian.  It's still in alpha, so not everything works.  Voice acting is either in Russian, or really bad English by Russians.  Combat isn't very fluid at this time.  Whoever gets the killing blow on a mob gets the xp, so you'll get assholes that will snipe mobs out from under you.  Not sure if this is intended, or not.

That said, they do seem to be making decent progress, as it's vastly improved from where it was 2 odd months ago.  Still quite a ways to go, though. 

If you're worried about spending the money, I'd say wait another 3-6 months and see where things are at then. 

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: October 16, 2016, 11:41:57 AM

Thanks!  Exactly what I was looking for.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: The 'Is this game worth buying' thread  
Jump to: