Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:37:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Frozen 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frozen  (Read 20727 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: January 09, 2014, 09:37:04 PM

It's a sweet film with two lead female characters who both have reasonable motivations, the snowman comedy sidekick isn't on-screen enough to get annoying and some of the snow / ice animations are spectactular. The songs are pretty unmemorable, except for Olaf's (the Snowman) and his love of seeing a summer and Elsa's breaking free song.

There's a little bit of darkness it in, but not enough that most young children should be fine to see it.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 10:03:48 PM

Let It Go is my favorite Disney song in years and years.

As for the movie... I didn't like parts of it, other parts were decent to good.  The rest of my family thought it was good, so YMMV.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 12:49:21 AM

I had "Do You want to build a Snowman" stuck in my head for about 2 weeks after this thing opened.  Kept having to go into the theatre around when that song was playing.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I still think Wreck It Ralph and Tangled were both superior movies.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:50:44 AM

It seems a bit tacked on because we are people who have felt that emotion before.  When you consider someone who has been isolated from everyone their entire life it's not too much a stretch.  They established her powers are mentally controlled, you could just substitute love for inner peace and it's the same result.  The movie is actually one big comic book if you think of it as being in the xmen universe.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:14:42 AM

I'm taking the boys to see this tomorrow, it'll be the first movie theater movie for them so am looking forward to it.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 09:21:36 AM

Brave man.

-Rasix
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:29:56 AM

Frozen was okay. Much better than I expected, given that the marketing push was rather muted for the quality that it was. I assumed it was a toss away movie.

beer geek.
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 09:32:31 AM

It far too treacly sweet and princess-y for my tastes, but my kids loved it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 09:41:30 AM

I'm taking the boys to see this tomorrow, it'll be the first movie theater movie for them so am looking forward to it.

noobie.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 10:05:39 AM

It teaches kids to be pragmatic in their choices and that love isn't just romantic.  I dunno, for a disney princess movie those are awfully good lessons for kids.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:07:04 AM

I'm always amazed to hear statements like that.  We were taking our kids to the theater from about 2-3 months old onward.  We'd just take turns leaving the theater if they started fussing or crying.

I tend to cite this as the reason they're able to sit still for 2-3 hours unlike most other kids we encounter.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 10:18:55 AM

The boys already sit for full movies at least once a week, so I'm not overly worried about it. I just haven't taken them to a theater for one yet.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 10:31:32 AM

I'm jealous.  The kid hasn't ever gotten past the 40 minute mark in a movie at home.  Doesn't help that anything remotely scary calls for immediate cessation.

Last birthday he really wanted Monster's Inc for some reason.  His aunt got it for him.  He watched 5 minutes of it and realized that there's monsters in it.  Facepalm
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:38:01 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 10:49:20 AM

Kids are so dumb, amirite?

beer geek.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 11:10:51 AM

The boys already sit for full movies at least once a week, so I'm not overly worried about it. I just haven't taken them to a theater for one yet.

How old are they?  My 4 year old does the same at home so I figured I would give it a shot. There's about 30 minutes of Monsters Inc 2 I still haven't seen in 5 random spots.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 11:25:02 AM

I liked it, but the songs were extremely forgettable by Disney standards and the snowman would have been much better without the buck teeth.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 02:18:49 PM

I had "Do You want to build a Snowman" stuck in my head for about 2 weeks after this thing opened.  Kept having to go into the theatre around when that song was playing.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I still think Wreck It Ralph and Tangled were both superior movies.

There is a tiny bit of foreshadowing that's the solution earlier in the film. But it's tiny and really easy to miss.

The only song I liked was the FUCK EVERYTHING Elsa song, but overall, I really, really enjoyed this movie. If I had daughters, I would hope these were the Disney princesses they wanted to be like. :P

edit: I hear a lot of comparisons to Tangled when this movie comes up, I suppose I should actually see it!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:21:52 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 02:21:52 PM

Sadly I had a discussion about this but Elsa isn't a disney princess, she had a coronation so she's technically a queen.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 02:22:07 PM

Even better!  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 02:44:24 PM

I must admit Tangled is awesome, always end up watching it when my daughter is.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 02:58:22 PM

I'm jealous.  The kid hasn't ever gotten past the 40 minute mark in a movie at home.  Doesn't help that anything remotely scary calls for immediate cessation.

Last birthday he really wanted Monster's Inc for some reason.  His aunt got it for him.  He watched 5 minutes of it and realized that there's monsters in it.  Facepalm

Heart

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 03:02:11 PM

edit: I hear a lot of comparisons to Tangled when this movie comes up, I suppose I should actually see it!

You should.  Disney appears to have heard the bitching and is revamping the princess image in a big way.  Some would say Mulan was the start but it really came out in Frog Princess and in Tangled.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 03:03:26 PM

You should.  Disney appears to have heard the bitching and is revamping the princess image in a big way.  Some would say Mulan was the start but it really came out in Frog Princess and in Tangled.

It's funny because there haven't been "traditional" disney princess movies for decades but they keep trotting out the merchandise people forget the little mermaid was 20+ years ago.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 05:13:06 PM

Sadly I had a discussion about this but Elsa isn't a disney princess, she had a coronation so she's technically a queen.
I was actually wondering that myself.  Would this be the first Disney movie that actually added TWO Disney Princesses to the roster?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 05:28:31 PM

It's funny because there haven't been "traditional" disney princess movies for decades but they keep trotting out the merchandise people forget the little mermaid was 20+ years ago.

Yep.  I also feel bad for the little girls who want to *be* those types of princesses but are told it's bad to want that now.  It's almost as if you can't win no matter what you do because people are different!

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 09:14:29 AM

Boys were awesome at this, no issues with them wearing the 3D glasses all movie either.

I asked them what their favorite part was afterwards and it was unanimous that the Snow Monster was the best.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 08:30:40 PM

Boys were awesome at this, no issues with them wearing the 3D glasses all movie either.

I asked them what their favorite part was afterwards and it was unanimous that the Snow Monster was the best.
Did you stick around till the very end of the credits?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 08:47:17 PM

Did you stick around till the very end of the credits?

Disney gives unrealistic expectations for girls hoping to grow up to be a snow monster princess.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 10:40:07 AM

Not bad, not as good as Tangled.

Mind you my daughter is now watching songs from the movie on endless loop on the Ipad right now.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 11:19:53 AM

$1 billion in take (and still rising) plus two Oscars. Persistence does pay off in the end.
(Disney started planning a version of "The Snow Queen" in the 50s. The person, not the company).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 11:45:59 AM

Your kids are better behaved in movies than I am. 60 minutes of those godawful glasses is as much as I can stand.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 07:44:22 PM

$1 billion in take (and still rising) plus two Oscars. Persistence does pay off in the end.
(Disney started planning a version of "The Snow Queen" in the 50s. The person, not the company).

Well deserved.

This was a great movie. It had the schlock for sure, but not Beauty and the Beast like (which we loved, including the Broadway rendition). It had a good female empowerment angle what with the whole first love/married-right-away thing and that basically it was the women that started and solved all the issues.

Good for a father of two daughters  Ohhhhh, I see.

I welled up at Do You Want to Build a Snowman (love and sadness and loss to maturity) and Let it Go (growing, unshackling society's expectations). But only the movie versions. All the re-recorded shit can bite me. But then it's been like that for me since Beauty and the Beast. I don't want whatever forgetable star decides to put their shit on the radio. I want the one from the movie, and will rip it from the video if I gotta.

Because I'm all rebel like that  awesome, for real
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 02:36:35 AM

60 minutes of those godawful glasses is as much as I can stand.

Glad I'm not alone. I made it bout an hour into LEGO and had to start taking them off every couple minutes. I wasn't getting a headache, but my eyes felt...itchy? Dunno. Maybe I had just stopped blinking. More studies will have to be done.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 06:47:41 AM

Yea I really don't do 3D movies. The best ones are the ones that are the least obvious about it, so therefore, what's the point?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 09:03:07 AM

And it's out on video. I have a feeling it's gonna be watched a lot at our house.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Frozen  
Jump to: