Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:30:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Season 8 Day 3. Reasons To Be Cheerful 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Season 8 Day 3. Reasons To Be Cheerful  (Read 15435 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

on: December 20, 2013, 10:46:26 AM

Day 2 is done and we mourn it no longer for a new day has dawned, a day in which empires shall be built and the dreams of braggarts turn to ash.

Gaze upon the corpse of hope.

And then rest a while with the scarlet intemperance.

These matches must be finished by Friday 3rd January. I've allowed extra time for this day as no doubt a lot of people will have their schedules massively disrupted by the holidays. If you can play sooner rather than later however, please do so.

Rankings.

Stats from BBManager below the cut.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:04:20 PM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:22:32 AM

Stabby - unless we can play tonight after 7 PM Pacific it will have to wait until New Year's Eve due to my travel and practice schedule.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:34:38 PM

Gruntle are you around this weekend? Should be able to free the time as long as you tell me when you can play. At work for most of Christmas week and unlikely to be able to play Christmas day or Boxing Day but should be free next weekend as well.
Gruntle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:22:35 PM

Gruntle are you around this weekend? Should be able to free the time as long as you tell me when you can play. At work for most of Christmas week and unlikely to be able to play Christmas day or Boxing Day but should be free next weekend as well.

I can probably play today/your tonight (friday) maybe early saturday (which i guess would be your saturday afternoon/early evening) or it would probably have to be next weekend for me also. I'll leave it in your hands, you can look for me on steam or we can set something more solid up for next weekend.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:35:13 PM by Gruntle »
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 02:28:32 PM

Teleku, my windows are pretty much Christmas Eve my time, then Boxing Day to the 30th.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 03:03:34 PM

I don't celebrate Santa Claus's birthday, so I'm OK on weekends GMT+8

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 03:23:28 PM

Teleku, my windows are pretty much Christmas Eve my time, then Boxing Day to the 30th.
Well, at the time difference, playing in the range from noon to three'ish my time is about the best we can manage (late evening your time).  I'm in a country that actually knows what boxing day is, and celebrates it, so that's probably our best bet.  I technically work on Christmas Eve, but very often either the president will tell everybody they have the day off, or at post the Ambassador will let us out early at his discretion.  Problem is I wont know till like, the day before or day of.  So if I get out early I'll post here and/or look for you online.  If not, lets try for a late night boxing day match your time.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 04:23:07 PM

Well, at the time difference, playing in the range from noon to three'ish my time is about the best we can manage (late evening your time).  I'm in a country that actually knows what boxing day is, and celebrates it, so that's probably our best bet.  I technically work on Christmas Eve, but very often either the president will tell everybody they have the day off, or at post the Ambassador will let us out early at his discretion.  Problem is I wont know till like, the day before or day of.  So if I get out early I'll post here and/or look for you online.  If not, lets try for a late night boxing day match your time.

Coolio. Where are you atm? I get confused and knowing the time diff is good.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 09:12:31 PM

GMT + 1, Poland.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 10:08:59 PM

Bonza, so 8am there now. Sounds good.
swiftblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 10:13:35 PM

Strazos,

I'm GMT, you free this weekend? Am free most it it, but not later Sunday.

You don't stop playing games when you get old, you get old when you stop playing games.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 11:07:21 PM

I'm off for a holiday and unavailable to play until next friday (the 27th) but I'll be able to play pretty much any time the next week (gmt+2)
Darth Roxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 11:58:55 PM

Sup Drogg - name your terms. I'm GMT+1 and available for most of the time that ain't 24-26.12 or new year's.

From the wake of Magellan to Magellan's wake.
Jaedar
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 03:04:27 AM

I'm off for a holiday and unavailable to play until next friday (the 27th) but I'll be able to play pretty much any time the next week (gmt+2)
Sounds ok to me. See you sometime then.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 05:01:02 AM

God. Damn. 31 armor rolls for 11 injury rolls. Against 10 for 6... Sorry everyone. I locked those wardancers down and fouled away, but nothing worked.

And mine is the rat (+1AGI, block, accurate, tackle Thrower, no less) that dies :(

I somehow managed to fail to score from two good positions in both halves. Was it nuffle, Teleku's fucking elves, or my season 8 crapness? Who can say. One tense and frustrating game for all, though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:14:34 AM by lamaros »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 05:26:13 AM

Knights - 2
Sidekicks - 0

A win for rk though at a cost - his level 3 blitzer has been composted.

Game was more even then you'd imagine considering Codexia's TV was three times that of the Storm, I can see how the flings can be just about viable - but I didn't bring enough of them, and a second half brawl just saw me run out of players.

I volunteered to upload as rk had to run, but at the moment just getting a French error.

"Une erreur est survenue", apparently.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 06:01:44 AM

Heh, yeah, if you want to see some comedy, watch our game.  I do have one of my strip ball catcher out next game, so that's going to hurt a bit.

-Stephen Colbert
Wolvens Requiem
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 07:46:44 AM

A draw.

Vibrant Filling 1 - 1 Keep Rolling!
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 08:40:19 AM

Sup Drogg - name your terms. I'm GMT+1 and available for most of the time that ain't 24-26.12 or new year's.
GMT-8, but will be GMT-5 as of this evening - if we can squeeze it in this morning, great, if not, i'll do my best to be available on the east coast but it may need to wait until i get back on new year's eve.  "robert" on steam - look me up!
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 09:21:40 AM

I volunteered to upload as rk had to run, but at the moment just getting a French error.

"Une erreur est survenue", apparently.

I got it

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
stabby the mime
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 10:42:05 AM

Stabby - unless we can play tonight after 7 PM Pacific it will have to wait until New Year's Eve due to my travel and practice schedule.

Whoops, sorry I missed you, was at a dinner/shindig last night that had been planned for a while (and just happening to be the only social event on my calendar this month, outside of family of course).

Anyway, as chance would have it I'll be the one hosting family this year, and if it comes up I may be able to wrestle myself (and my poor internet connection) away for a game, if not, well then we'll end the Blood Bowl year with a spectacular bang. Or crunch.
Ulysees
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 11:22:29 AM

Will look out for you on Steam this evening, if we miss each other will set a definite time for next weekend Gruntle.
Darth Roxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 01:02:07 PM

Secret Military Union vs Muscle Daddies - 2:1

After a ridiculously tense game of blood, sweat and raging crowds, the Secret Military Union manages to win 2:1.

Highlights of the match DEFINITELY include the THREE PITCH INVASIONS, drogg's bloodthirster getting wild animal like 6 times (and wasting blitzes every time at that, too, I believe), me trying to 1-d blitz a ball carrier with a loner lino because I forgot I could do just the same but with a blitzer, and forgetting that perfect defence means you have to have 3 dudes on the los regardless. Oh, and definitely the very last two turns, when the bloodthirster got the kick-off ball and attempted a two-turn touchdown with two blitzes, but failing a dodge on the final approach.

No permanent injuries, but a metric shitton of KOs, nerves and laughs. Also, I derped really damn heavily all across the first half and only got my shit together during the second, which also came paired with drogg's downright terrible rolls. Makes this victory feel a tiny bit undeserved

From the wake of Magellan to Magellan's wake.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 06:49:54 PM

Fursecution 2 - 2 Huitzilopotchtli's Gift.

This was a game that I thought I was going to lose by about turn 4, thought I was going to win on turn 12 and that could have ended in a victory for either team on turn 16.

I chose to kick, hoping to be able to stall the Khorne team and then score in the second half. The Daemons came out swinging however and racked up an impressive tally of injuries and KOs in the first few turns. My only solace was that Megrim was burning rerolls almost as fast as he was wrecking rats so I just hoped that I could hang on for long enough that his frenzied guys would trip themselves up. Eventually the Daemons bashed their way down to the endzone and scored on his last turn. I had all my rats on the floor at that point and I had just hit the end turn button without bothering to stand them up at all.

I had one turn left and, as luck would have it the kick off result was a riot which added a turn to the match. I went for the long play, put some guys behind the Daemon line and wound up the thrower's arm ready for a miracle pass. The Khorne team swarmed my Gutter Runners and took one down but could only get a push on the other. In the last turn of the half, my thrower ran forwards, made the 4+ pass to a triple marked Gutter Runner, he made teh catch after burning a reroll (even though he was triple marked, with AGI 5, he still only needed a 4+ to catch. he then leapt out of the cage of cultists surrounding him and strolled over the line to equalise on the whistle.

The second half started well for me, despite only having 8 players on the pitch, I repeated almost the same play minus the leap to take the lead on turn 11. The Khorne team had 5 turns left to equalise and the next kickoff gave me a blitz. I was able to get a Gutter Runner under the ball and for a moment looked as though I might be able to squeak a third TD in as the Daemon team first wasted a wizard on my Gutter Runner squad and then got push after push on the sneaky rat who had stolen the ball. Eventually they got him down, grabbed the ball and caged up. I tried to hold them back but fights near the sidelines are death when the other team has a lot of frenzy and outnumbers you. Eventually I just had nobody left and the Daemons tied the score with two turns to go.

With nothing else to lose, I set up for another Wood Elf Bullshit play, put some Gutter Runners in deep and tried to make a hole in the line. The Daemons ran a guy down to put pressure on the thrower and then put everyone else on marking rat duty. On my last turn I had the choice of making a long pass to a marked GR without catch or putting my Agi 5 guy in the endzone, handing off to a GR near the line of scrimmage and then having that guy run down and pass to the rat in the endzone. Despite needing more rolls, that plan was fairly likely to work, I needed a push on a 1d block where I had block and the Cultist didn't, a 2+ handoff, maybe a couple of 2+ dodges and then a short pass and a 2+ catch. That was the plan anyhow, but the block came up a skull and I was out of rerolls. The Daemons had one turn left and a Cultist next to my thrower and in GfI range of the endzone, if he could knock down the thrower, get the ball and make a GfI or two (depending on where the ball bounced to) then he could score and give the Daemons the win. He blitzed the Thrower and got a both down, rerolled it to a defender down and then fluffed the pickup. Match over.

I have two rats with MNG injuries, the Gift had no injuries at all. One level up for me and two for the Gift.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 08:35:30 PM

If I recall correctly the AG5 rat was stunned for that last turn. Apart from that, good game over-all. The Daemons did a bit better with the bash this time around, though not enough to secure the three points.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 01:38:36 PM

Alright, Reborne. Let's get something set up. I'm pretty busy until the day after Christmas. Friday is no good; hosting a dinner party. Other than that, should be more or less flexible.
Reborne
Terracotta Army

something something plays a shitload of Blood Bowl something something

Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 11:38:19 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty busy until the weekend.
It's funny, I don't really do Christmas but since everyone is off work, it's almost like I do...

I'll try to catch you on Steam before then and we can work out time differences and go from there.

"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God's Final Message to His Creation.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 04:11:14 AM

Sounds good. drogg is coming to my house on Sunday night, tho, so that's out.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 10:08:12 PM

Beetles tie Ladies 1-1.   Got to run to dinner but my quick recap is that the Beetles were really throwing those dwarves around but their damn armor just wouldn't break.  I also probably should have encouraged him to score sooner in the first half, oh well.

No permanent injuries to either side, though the Chaos Dwarfs did have to use an apothecary for one self-inflicted wound.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 12:12:44 AM

Another disappointing tie for The Ladies.  I had a tough time overcoming the strength deficit, and got outmaneuvered late-game after I thought I had it wrapped up after knocking out Proudft's Thro-Ra.  My mino really stank up the match also, and I'm seriously considering firing him so I can develop my second bull centaur as a more reliable blitzer.    If the bull centaur gets doubles soon it's a serious possibility. 

Proudft got a ton of really great blocks in but couldn't break through my armor until late in the match when everything seemed to break left and right.  I'm satisfied getting a level-up on a dwarf who has guard and my second bull centaur though.  That's the good news out of the match.   

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 06:24:07 AM

Err, how will firing your Mino make your bull centaur level any faster?

-Stephen Colbert
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 07:13:52 AM

Where did I say that?

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 07:22:07 AM

My mino really stank up the match also, and I'm seriously considering firing him so I can develop my second bull centaur as a more reliable blitzer.    If the bull centaur gets doubles soon it's a serious possibility. 
Can't you keep your mino and develop your bull centaur as a more reliable blitzer?

-Stephen Colbert
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 07:50:36 AM

I guess I worded that poorly.  I should have written '...firing him AND developing my second bull centaur as a more reliable blitzer.'

The problem with having a mino is that you have to commit to blitzing with him a lot in order for him to be effective and worth his TV investment and since you only get one blitz per round developing other blitzers becomes redundant.  Lately he's been taking up 190k of TV and not doing anything.  Developing a bull centaur as a blitzer (with break tackle, frenzy, block, and horns or maybe Jump Up on a double) becomes redundant and wastes TV if the mino stays on the team because I would be giving that blitzer skills that would rarely be used becaues of the blitz limitation.  It also keeps that piece from fulfilling some other useful roll because a centaur can also be an effective killer (block, mighty blow, tackle, frenzy). 

Still, I won't do that.  I just have to learn how to deal with playing with a big guy and blitz with him more often to overcome his wild animal.  I'm a conservative player and I don't like taking risks.  Blitzing with the mino always feels like a gamble, but it's a gamble I have to take in order to make him effective.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 09:36:50 AM

Sounds like every big guy except a Treeman, a Krox, or a Chaos Troll. Decent enough as a merc inducement, but not really worth a place on the roster.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Blood Bowl Bullshit  |  Topic: Season 8 Day 3. Reasons To Be Cheerful  
Jump to: