Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:33:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: ComiXology 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ComiXology  (Read 15952 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

on: December 19, 2013, 07:49:37 AM

My brother told me about this app and recommended I start with Saga, which I am enjoying.  I am looking for recommendations of other non-superhero stories.

If it helps, I loved The Watchmen and Ronin but haven't read much else so anything old is fair game as well since I probably haven't read it either.

I also have to say that the glow of a iPad makes a comic look really cool.  Paper pales in comparison.

I have never played WoW.
schad
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:16:56 PM

There's a DC graphic novel sale going on right now http://www.comixology.com/DC-Essentials-Sale/comics-collection/2192.

At the very least, take a look at some of Alan Moore's other works - V for Vendetta & Swamp Thing. I would also recommend Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns and Year One as they are easily some of the best Batman stories written.

The first collection of Y the Last Man is there too - written by Brian K. Vaughan - same guy who writes Saga  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:19:51 PM by schad »
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:48:14 AM

DMZ was really good too.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 05:55:02 AM

Probably a minority taste but an often-overlooked Alan Moore comic series which I love is Promethea, a superhero comic set in an alternate, futuristic New York. It's about a young woman student who researches a fictional character who seems to have appeared in different types of media over the centuries -  poetry, pulp fantasy magazines, children's fiction etc. And perhaps you can guess the rest already, but it's a great read with a load of imaginative characters popping up and Moore clearly having loads of fun.

It also has some religious ideas in it which some people might not like possibly, and a really bonkers ending.

And it has some really amazing artwork, if you like art.

And it's on Comixology. It was published by ABC which was actually an imprint of DC.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 06:24:50 PM

Promethea is great for a while and then Moore kind of goes off the rails with it.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:35:07 AM

Promethea is great for a while and then Moore kind of goes off the rails with it.

Yes. Promethea shows where Moore headed with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - comics as magic spells that change reality.

Top Ten is probably Moore's easiest work from his America's Best Comics time.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 04:08:19 PM

I really love Top Ten. I sort of wish Moore didn't think that stuff that is so openly pleasurable and fun is beneath him now.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:30:35 AM

So my brother does comics as a hobby - when he can squeeze them in.  His first comic just went up on Comixology, Deep Blue: MIce in the Maze, for $2.99.

I am obviously biased in his favor, but it is a good one.  The second book will go up shortly.  I have read both in hardcopy.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:34:00 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:34:34 AM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 02:58:09 PM

Also, acquired by Amazon:

https://www.comixology.com/message
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 01:12:31 PM

Kind of annoyed by the change to the app--you can't make in-app purchases any more, you have to give Comixology payment data directly, and do it off the website. I get that this is about cutting Apple out of the revenue loop but it's inconvenient and makes me very wary about whether they're going to be in it for the long haul.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 02:00:00 PM

I would assume there will be a special Kindle Fire edition and the Android and iOS versions will become 2nd class citizens.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 03:43:25 PM

Yes. Which is just another reason to not fucking trust digital content purveyors and another reason why they cannot make even greater headway in their markets--nobody wants to sink too much money into a library of content that someone is going to make hard to read or see just because it suits their business plan for the next three months. Random House didn't come into my house and lock my books in a trunk because they were making a big move towards St. Martin's Press.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 07:27:56 PM

I would assume there will be a special Kindle Fire edition and the Android and iOS versions will become 2nd class citizens.

Well, yup, this is the way it works with the Kindle app.

But at least the iOS version blows away the stock Android version, which is the most aesthetically unpleasing, is glitch ridden, and has annoying bugs that still remain unfixed (i.e., tap on a footnote, then hit the "back" button, and it doesn't bring you back to page you were reading, it bounces you back into the "library" page, leaving you no easy way of getting back to the page you were on).

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 12:09:33 AM

I would mind Amazon's bad treatment of other Android platforms *slightly* less if they'd come out with a goddamn 10.1" tablet already.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 06:33:40 PM

There's a sale, picked up the Saga and Rat Queen collections for half price.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 01:15:07 PM

By the way, fuck Comixology. I recently wanted to read some of my back issues, and my daughter got really interested in Avengers Academy and Young Avengers, but I was scratching my head and thinking, "Man, there is a lot missing here". This was after I did what they said to do when Amazon bought them to tie your Apple ID-purchased collection to your new Fuck-Apple-Buy-Kindle collection. So I send a note to customer service, saying, "what gives?" They're like, oh, this happens a lot, esp. if you bought stuff while Apple logged-in but not Comixology logged-in. So I said, fine, whatever, just fix it.

They say: screenshot every single purchase you have that's missing in your Apple Purchases. I'm like, you mean I can't just say, "Issues 20-35 of Avengers Academy"? Nope, we need screens of every single discrete purchase. FUUCK. That takes me a few hours, and wow, it's way more issues than I thought--the weird thing is that they got a lot of my earliest purchases and then all my ones in the 3-4 months before the transition, but everything in the middle is missing.

So I sent a very long document with all the screenshots in it. Now Customer Service Guy says, "Ok, can you please list every single issue that's missing in a separate text document?" I'm like, it's there in the screenshots, you do it. No, we need a separate listing. FUUUUUUCCCK. Hours and one spreadsheet later, I'm like: here. Give me my comics. And understand why you've more or less guaranteed that I'm not buying digital comics ever again. And why I'm looking pretty hard even at the Kindle books I've bought and wondering whether that wasn't also a mistake.

The one thing I'll say for Customer Service Guy is that once he had both of those documents, he stopped putzing around. Where I had only partial collections of some titles, he just went ahead and gave me the trade collection that covered all the issues I'd bought and all the ones I hadn't. So that was kind of nice, but I'd have gladly foregone that little gift to avoid putting all that crap together.

It makes me wonder whether they're hurting after the switch. My guess is: yes, I'm guessing that their sales dropped pretty substantially. Probably accelerated the move over to things like Marvel Unlimited, etc. and to people buying trades in print form via Amazon or other sellers.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 01:23:14 PM

Probably accelerated the move over to things like Marvel Unlimited, etc. and to people buying trades in print form via Amazon or other sellers.

That's literally how I do it. I buy trades off of amazon of the things I really want to have forever and the rest is a Marvel Unlimited sub for shit I only have a casual interest in. I don't give a shit if I am six months behind the 'new' release or whatever and a stack of trades is nicer on the shelf then a bunch of those stupid little baggies with the cardboard. It's also easier to like give it to my sister and be "here read this, you'll like it!".

I wonder what the margins on individual issues vs trades are.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 05:34:08 PM

Been having issues with comixology myself, lately.  Got issue one of the Deus Ex comic like a year ago, and just got an e-mail saying "hey, why don't you buy the rest of the series?"  I'm like, "sure, why not, it's not the worst thing I've ever read" and hit the link, but it tosses me an invalid listing, I can't even get there from the link from the comic I bought (though the comic itself works fine).  Was it taken down or something?  Then why send me the e-mail in the first place?  I don't even really want it that bad, it just bugs me.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: ComiXology  
Jump to: