Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Interstellar (Nov. 2014) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interstellar (Nov. 2014)  (Read 41678 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: December 13, 2013, 11:02:23 AM

Teaser Trailer

http://www.interstellar-movie.com/
http://www.interstellarmovie.com/

In the future, governments and economies across the globe have collapsed, food is scarce, NASA is no more, and the 20th Century is to blame. A mysterious rip in spacetime opens and it's up to whatever is left of NASA to explore and offer up hope for mankind.

Essentially Chris Nolan's take on Kip Thorne's (who helped with the film) musings (if you dont know who he is, you should be gettin to readin).  It'll be very "Contact"-like which was based on Sagan, only this time more far-reaching (obviously, if you've read any Thorne).  Even the producer is a brainiac, who actually edited some of Thorne's seminal works.

I saw the trailer at the Hobbit and I really liked it, though it was short.  They are clearly going for a deeper, more artistic presentation with this movie so I doubt it'll be fantastical sci-fi.  Likely will be an exploration on the human-condition via the subtext of interstellar space exploration.  High-powered cast too btw; Matt McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Cain...

Filming is in Alberta.  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 10:59:33 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 06:51:46 PM

I hope it's good.  I'm in the mood for a modern, thoughtful sci-fi movie.  You know, something like Prometheus.   Hello Kitty 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:59:06 AM

edit:
<added just released teaser trailer to OP>

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:07:43 PM

When did "teaser trailer" become synonymous with "2 minutes of telling you absofuckinglutely nothing about what the movie is actually about"?  I watched that on the big screen at my theatre, and came away knowing pretty much nothing about this movie other then who is in it and what the name is.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:17:53 AM

What? It told you everything you needed to know:

Chris Nolan, Matthew McConaughey, Legendary Pictures.

A year before release, that's all you deserve to know  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 09:45:57 AM

Honestly, I thought the cornfield rocket with son-in-hand imagery was pretty powerful.  There was a lot going on there.  Surf needs it beat over his head I guess.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 12:06:18 PM

What? It told you everything you needed to know:

Chris Nolan, Matthew McConaughey, Legendary Pictures.

A year before release, that's all you deserve to know  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

To be fair, all that was already known before the trailer. Little side note, when we got the trailer into my theater on Wednesday it was "locked" in the same way the movies are (we get digital keys that unlock them at a specific time and which eventually expire). It's pretty rare for trailers to be locked in such a manner. In fact the last one I can think of was the first trailer The Dark Knight Rises, so when I saw this it got my expectations up only to watch the trailer that night and think to myself that it didn't really show anything. I do acknowledge though that the trailer is obviously for the legion of people that maybe don't click on any news article that mentions upcoming Chris Nolan movies.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 12:50:29 PM

Very Malick.  Count me as those who had not heard of this but are now intrigued/looking forward to it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 02:31:06 PM

I am cautiously looking forward to it. I am not someone who thinks Nolan can do no wrong. For every Dark Knight, we have a Dark Knight Rises and for every Inception, we have a The Prestige. My hope is that he is due for another good movie this time. But I'll reserve judgement until I learn a bit more.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 02:39:28 PM

I am cautiously looking forward to it. I am not someone who thinks Nolan can do no wrong. For every Dark Knight, we have a Dark Knight Rises and for every Inception, we have a The Prestige. My hope is that he is due for another good movie this time. But I'll reserve judgement until I learn a bit more.

Heh. All four of those are pretty good movies. 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 03:16:41 PM

Wait, are you trying to say that Inception is better than The Prestige?
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 04:40:14 PM

Honestly, I thought the cornfield rocket with son-in-hand imagery was pretty powerful.  There was a lot going on there.  Surf needs it beat over his head I guess.
Oh, I don't disagree that there was a lot of pretty powerful imagery in there, but none of it tells me anything about what the movie is actually about.  Is it about a guy who lives next to a rocket launch facility? Is it about space travel? Going back to the moon?

If the only thing you had to tell you about this movie was that trailer, exactly what would you have come away knowing?   All you get out of it is a message that "Mankind has lost it's soul of the explorer", with no real indication of anything else.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 04:44:14 PM

Wait, are you trying to say that Inception is better than The Prestige?

They are both good movies.  You guys can get into a pissing match on which is better but both are heads above most other hollywood shit.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 05:04:34 PM

I think Inception is a pile of meaningless shit.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 02:20:29 AM

I think it works better when you accept it's meant to be meaningless.  As for shit, no.  No, not really.

Not at all, in fact.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 04:19:17 AM

Lamaros has a personal vendetta against Inception, and the fact that everybody here except him seems to like it.   awesome, for real
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:48:38 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 05:00:17 AM

Lamaros has a personal vendetta against Inception, and the fact that everybody here except him seems to like it.   awesome, for real

I thought Inception was a bland movie and didn't feel the need to comment on it for that reason (so Lamaros is not alone)  why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 10:27:50 AM

This. I don't feel let down by watching any of those movies.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 03:49:54 PM

Inception is a good movie.

The Prestige is better.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 05:46:54 AM

I thought Inception was a bland movie and didn't feel the need to comment on it for that reason (so Lamaros is not alone)  why so serious?

I felt like it was worth the price of admission, but it didn't stand up to favorable recollection.  A decent flick, but not worth the gushing that goes on here.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 05:55:32 AM

I felt like it was worth the price of admission, but it didn't stand up to favorable recollection.  A decent flick, but not worth the gushing that goes on here.

Gushing? The best comment here was "pretty good" with the other half of the people shitting on it.

We're getting a bit off topic but what I meant when I said that they are all good movies is that Nolan is an "all in" director for me.  It doesn't matter what his next picture is, he's been consistently good and his movies have all been enjoyable so this one is guaranteed to be a day one movie.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 05:59:08 AM

For me Takashi Miike is the director whose movies I always look forward to but they are not all (or you could even say that most aren't) that good... just interesting (most of the time).
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 08:23:31 PM

The Prestige was 90% of a good movie followed by 10% of a lousy movie.

The final 10-15 minutes or so are really awful, hitting the viewer over the head and removing any pretense of subtlety. It also introduces some really weighty stuff and does nothing with it, which is a big pet peeve of mine.

I really like reading interviews with the guy and his approach to film making, but in the end his movies don't do that much for me. But the guy is clearly skilled at making blockbusters that aren't as dumb as typical blockbusters.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 08:35:25 PM

This. I don't feel let down by watching any of those movies.

The Dark Knight Rises was just awful. Now, it was far from Joel Schumacher awful but it was close to Spider Man 3 awful to be blunt.  Seriously, I own Batman Begins and the Dark Knight on Blu Ray and I didn't even bother to watch the Dark Knight Rises on cable. The Prestige was a well made movie with some interesting ideas that just sort of jumped the shark towards the end. Oh, and it was honestly, pretty damned slow moving. Both Inception and the Prestige had some cool ideas behind them, the difference is that Inception actually told a story that was interesting. The Prestige felt....bloated.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 08:41:30 PM

The Dark Knight Rises was just awful. Now, it was far from Joel Schumacher awful but it was close to Spider Man 3 awful to be blunt.  Seriously, I own Batman Begins and the Dark Knight on Blu Ray and I didn't even bother to watch the Dark Knight Rises on cable. The Prestige was a well made movie with some interesting ideas that just sort of jumped the shark towards the end. Oh, and it was honestly, pretty damned slow moving. Both Inception and the Prestige had some cool ideas behind them, the difference is that Inception actually told a story that was interesting. The Prestige felt....bloated.

There's no accounting for taste.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 10:20:38 AM

The Prestige is up there.  Agree about the last 10%.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 11:34:00 AM

DKR=SpiderMan 3

What the fuck is wrong with you ?

That's not even the same fucking ballpark.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 11:58:09 AM

DKR's biggest crime was not being as good as DK.

Still not a bad film. Solid B.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 12:01:38 PM

Like everyone else on the planet, I was disappointed by it.

but Spiderman 3 ?

SPIDERMAN 3 ?  With Venom and disco dancing and shitty hobgoblin and Sandman not being on his own ?  And MJ looking like the strung out cocaine addict that she was ?

Fuck sake.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 12:04:18 PM

Yeah, I enjoyed DKR. It certainly was the weakest of the 3 films but that's like saying The Magnificent Ambersons wasn't as good as Citizen Kane. It's still a true statement, but they are both still good films. Comparing DKR to Spiderman 3? Not even in the same fucking universe.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 12:14:33 PM

Well, of course not. One is DC, and the other is Marvel!

why so serious?

beer geek.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 12:25:08 PM

I also liked The Prestige more than I should have.  That's probably a good sign.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 01:50:00 PM

I need to watch The Prestige again, it's been a few years. Love that movie.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 07:08:12 PM

Like everyone else on the planet, I was disappointed by it.

but Spiderman 3 ?

SPIDERMAN 3 ?  With Venom and disco dancing and shitty hobgoblin and Sandman not being on his own ?  And MJ looking like the strung out cocaine addict that she was ?

Fuck sake.

Alfred is totally out of character for most of this movie. There is no way in hell Alfred would just leave Bruce like that.
Batman is rarely in the movie.
The fight choreography? Laughable.
Speaking of fights: Batman loses against Bane not because Bane is better but because Batman neglects to do anything Batman would do in that kind of fight. Stuff he is shown doing in the other two movies as well as other fights in this movie. He basically just sort of stumbles around like he is drunk and allows Bane to beat him up. No lead up, no explanation, just....Batman suddenly becoming a moron.
The magical knee brace? Really? He has no cartilage in his knee but this brace somehow makes him a bad ass.
Of course, he may become a bad ass, except when the plot says he doesn't but he also doesn't actually handle any of the problems in the movie. Talia? Killed by a car crash. Bane? Killed by Catwoman. The bomb? Flown away by the Batplane thingy on remote control.
Oh, and somebody really, really needed to remind Christopher Nolan of the adage "Show, don't Tell." This movie was all telll very little show.
Oh and every single plot point was heavily, heavily telegraphed. In fact, most of the time you're just flat out told about plot points well before they happen. See: The cafe scene at the end.
Catwoman? Handled very, very poorly. Don't even get me started on how they messed that character up.
Bane? There is a reason people make internet videos where they play games using his voice. It is so over the top and silly.
Let's talk some more about the horrible prison by the way. Where nobody bothers Bruce and he has a man to help heal him. Oh, and a nice, big TV.

The only part of the movie that was close to good was the brief appearance by Scarecrow when he was holding his trials. The cinematography and music were also good. The script though? Horrible. The direction? Decent but it felt like his heart wasn't in it. I think that was the biggest problem with the movie, Nolan had quite after the Dark Knight and had nothing in the tank for this movie.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 07:20:03 PM

Stay on target.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Interstellar (Nov. 2014)  
Jump to: